Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 2

Postby balder » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:31 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 2

Postby NYbear » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:39 pm

First!

I have to say, I love reading these life moments of people in erfworld. Really quite enjoyable. Keep em coming Rob! :)
NYbear

Postby MadZuri » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:47 pm

We aren't in FirstPost anymore, that isn't necessary, really.

I keep expecting there to be a CapsLoch side, and a person from that side TO ALWAYS YELL AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS. But that would be silly.
MadZuri

Postby Jacinth and Rubies » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:08 pm

MadZuri wrote:We aren't in FirstPost anymore, that isn't necessary, really.

I keep expecting there to be a CapsLoch side, and a person from that side TO ALWAYS YELL AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS. But that would be silly.

And they have a misfit Noble called Prince Indoor Voice ;)

-----
And here Rob is taking us through one type of spin-off scenario. It's interesting that some nobles/warlords (like Eften, Ansom) seem to lean heavily towards form over function, while others (like Chains, Jillian) seem to lean the other way. it's a weird, imbalanced sort of force. Then again, those with established sides and a large treasury may not exactly remember what it was like to live on a budget.

Good work today, Digdoug - it may not serve defenses in any sort of raw numerical way, but your work today was important for aiding the defense of Weatherbug. After all, happier troops are more alert troops. You served the Titans and your Side this day.
Jacinth and Rubies

Postby Sallo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm quite liking this story so far.
Great work!
Sallo
Tool + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:18 pm

Jacinth and Rubies wrote:Good work today, Digdoug - it may not serve defenses in any sort of raw numerical way, but your work today was important for aiding the defense of Weatherbug. After all, happier troops are more alert troops. You served the Titans and your Side this day.

I thought that was more about letting troops travel within the city without the risk of them falling down.
cheeseaholic

Postby DyolfKnip » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 pm

How do the sides with dirtamancers not totally rule Erfworld? A few turns of upkeep for one, and they get awesome improvements to an entire city. Rinse, repeat for _thousands_ more.

It's like when I visit my in-laws and take my toolbucket along; they get buku handyman work for the cost of a few meals.
DyolfKnip

Postby Akkristor » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:31 pm

It seems that most sides, and most warlords, and possibly even many casters, greatly underestimate the effectiveness of Dirtamancers. From Golems (which they can boost and heal) to terrain to traps to city design, they are able to do a lot, but I don't think Erfworlders think much of them. They seem to think of them as magical janitors, and treat them like dirt.
Akkristor

Postby Castamir » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:36 pm

MadZuri wrote:I keep expecting there to be a CapsLoch side, and a person from that side TO ALWAYS YELL AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS. But that would be silly.

You haven't been reading Erfworld much, have you? ;)
Castamir

Postby cheeseaholic » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:37 pm

Akkristor wrote:It seems that most sides, and most warlords, and possibly even many casters, greatly underestimate the effectiveness of Dirtamancers. From Golems (which they can boost and heal) to terrain to traps to city design, they are able to do a lot, but I don't think Erfworlders think much of them. They seem to think of them as magical janitors, and treat them like dirt.

And Foolamancers are treated as fools. This looks like it's either coded into erfworlders or based on Scrpture. I'm guessing that it's coded into them. Which is why Parson is so powerful - he doesn't think that way.
cheeseaholic

Postby DyolfKnip » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:52 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:And Foolamancers are treated as fools. This looks like it's either coded into erfworlders or based on Scrpture. I'm guessing that it's coded into them. Which is why Parson is so powerful - he doesn't think that way.

Maybe... but think back to Wanda's handling of the defense of Goodminton. Different classes of casters seem to lend themselves more readily towards tactical vs strategic uses, right? Predictamancy struck me as the "strategic" variety. "How will this battle turn out", "What is [side] going to do?", that kind of thing. Forget that, she put Delphi to work providing close air support. I saw it as a very Parson-esque use of a caster.
DyolfKnip

Postby Dinkum » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:29 pm

'Some chestnuts were popping merrily in a cast iron cauldron hung up inside the fireplace.'

This actually threw me for a second, trying to figure out if an iron pot creates specific kinds of rations inside it. Actually I'm still not even sure, given the slaughterhouse descriptions of cuts of meat appearing inside.
Dinkum

Postby Denar » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:48 pm

“Awl of ‘em, if he keepsh thish shitty from fawling.”

well, that's one way of avoiding erfworld's censor

Feeling strong "death flags" coming off the Lady Chains, here.
Denar

Postby mcw0933 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:11 pm

Prince Creen... How did I not see that coming after update 1? :)
Yes. That is a rocket-propelled bulldozer of love.
mcw0933
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Simons Mith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:14 pm

Typo: sortee. Should be sortie. A sortee would be the subject of a sort. :-)
Simons Mith

Postby shamelessmerc » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:51 pm

Prince Creen.... <facepalm>

I had to come to the forums to spot it though... a lot of these puns don't work in Scotland, where we pronounce our Glottal Stops
shamelessmerc

Postby Lamech » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:51 pm

So keeping the rain down does help! Probably to be expected with raincoats helping Charlie's archons.
Lamech

Postby 0beron » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:07 pm

So, this update tells us Digdoug must be fairly young, since the side is a spinoff with only 1 caster. Apparently young enough that he doesn't even really understand everything about his own discipline, let alone others.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:58 pm

0beron wrote:Apparently young enough that he doesn't even really understand everything about his own discipline, let alone others.
Maybe, but not necessarily. Casters seem to be units who are expected to be highly focused on magic to the point where they lack awareness of real life considerations. Digdoug has no difficulty making a wide variety of city improvements and I think that's the true test of a Dirtamancer's skill. If he were especially young the signs I would expect to see would be a limited selection of spells and running out of juice quickly, just like Wanda in the beginning of Book 0. The fact that he's uncertain about the usefulness of the improvements he's making is just an indication that he's not a warlord.

Something similar was mentioned in Book 0, Episode 20: "The actual effect the new air defense spells might have on an enemy wasn't something she understood well. It was for a warlord to say how useful something might be in battle."
Lilwik

Postby Lipkin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:09 pm

Likewise, Sizemore was shocked that Parson wanted to know about magic. Seems like lack of knowledge or interest goes both ways.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions