Digdoug - Episode 2

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 2

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:11 am

0beron wrote:So, this update tells us Digdoug must be fairly young, since the side is a spinoff with only 1 caster. Apparently young enough that he doesn't even really understand everything about his own discipline, let alone others.

He's probably from the first batch of warlords and the side's first caster, and seeing as Lady Chain was promoted from a field unit this speaks to me of a young side just created and then forced into war too early by their mother side, before they were properly ready.

It's going to be interesting, Wanda and Jillian's prologue mostly fast forwarded their growth until they were fighting level 10+ adversaries and the first donor story seemed to be more of a medium level characters battle while this story could be all about the low level units coming into their own.

Also I hope we get to see more of a contrast between this new side's culture, the original mother side's culture and the enemy's culture (apparently their tastes in architecture suck :P )
Prodigial_Knight

Postby multilis » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:07 pm

Prodigial_Knight wrote:... forced into war too early by their mother side, before they were properly ready...

It takes war to quickly level units. So early war goes both ways, both risk and potential for profit, depending on situation this may be much better for new side then peace. Getting a little leadership training now may make a big difference later.

Similar with dirtomancer... too valuable to risk, but if you don't risk they aren't as valuable as if they level up.
multilis

Postby Lamech » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:02 pm

multilis wrote:
Prodigial_Knight wrote:... forced into war too early by their mother side, before they were properly ready...

It takes war to quickly level units. So early war goes both ways, both risk and potential for profit, depending on situation this may be much better for new side then peace. Getting a little leadership training now may make a big difference later.

Similar with dirtomancer... too valuable to risk, but if you don't risk they aren't as valuable as if they level up.

If there is a good opportunity for it, taking some xp is probably worthwhile. If mother side is handily winning the war against the MFs, you might as well send some warlords over to help. But that's not really a war, that's more like looting from a side that's already down. Basically you want to play a game of risk minimization. If a threat is building up, you may need to gamble to get resources to fight it, but peace is always a good way to get some. A little hunting, dirtamancers getting xp from cities, building up golems (or scrolls), some training etc.

This does not seem like a particularly good chance.
Lamech

Postby Tonot » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:36 am

Lipkin wrote:Likewise, Sizemore was shocked that Parson wanted to know about magic. Seems like lack of knowledge or interest goes both ways.

True, Parsons questions perplex people.

However, it seems like a given that sometimes at least the various casters "expect" other people to get their possibilities and limitations.

Maybe the people who are "allowed" to question casters, i.e. their chain of command, also have some sort of "magic" understanding of the abilities of the troops under their orders?. We know, ( I think ) that commanders always "Know" things like move, H.P. , position, etc about their troops. Maybe commanders also have a command sense as to the various abilities casters have?. And if they do, then casters just automatically "know" ( think they know ) that people questioning them will "know" a lot of terms and abilities and possibilities?. Maybe?.
Tonot

Postby Requia » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:56 am

0beron wrote:So, this update tells us Digdoug must be fairly young, since the side is a spinoff with only 1 caster. Apparently young enough that he doesn't even really understand everything about his own discipline, let alone others.

Or he's originally from Delkey and was one of the founding units for Homekey which hasn't popped its own caster yet..
Requia

Postby Lipkin » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:31 am

Tonot wrote:
Lipkin wrote:Likewise, Sizemore was shocked that Parson wanted to know about magic. Seems like lack of knowledge or interest goes both ways.

True, Parsons questions perplex people.

However, it seems like a given that sometimes at least the various casters "expect" other people to get their possibilities and limitations.

Maybe the people who are "allowed" to question casters, i.e. their chain of command, also have some sort of "magic" understanding of the abilities of the troops under their orders?. We know, ( I think ) that commanders always "Know" things like move, H.P. , position, etc about their troops. Maybe commanders also have a command sense as to the various abilities casters have?. And if they do, then casters just automatically "know" ( think they know ) that people questioning them will "know" a lot of terms and abilities and possibilities?. Maybe?.

Pretty sure Maggie's inner thoughts indicated that Thinkamancers, or at least she, regularly mislead their rulers as to the full range of their abilities. Based on that, an ability sense in rulers seems unlikely.

Edit: This is what I was thinking of.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -01-07.png
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:31 am

Requia wrote:

Or he's originally from Delkey and was one of the founding units for Homekey which hasn't popped its own caster yet..

True, I'm just wildly speculating at this early point in the story.
Prodigial_Knight

Postby 0beron » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Requia wrote:

No, the way it is phrased and the tone/context makes it pretty clear he popped to them.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby CelebrenIthil » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Dinkum wrote:'Some chestnuts were popping merrily in a cast iron cauldron hung up inside the fireplace.'

This actually threw me for a second, trying to figure out if an iron pot creates specific kinds of rations inside it. Actually I'm still not even sure, given the slaughterhouse descriptions of cuts of meat appearing inside.

I understand why it threw you, but I am fairly certain this is but a case of homonymy, and the chestnuts are merely popping in the sense of being roasted in the hot cauldron until they pop open, and not popping as in appearing out of thin air.
:)
My Dwagons!
Red: Kelvin Yellow: Newton Green: Langmuir Blue: Ampere Purple: Decibel Pink: Pascal
build6 wrote:It's true, we're all gay for Tramennis, even if we're straight :-)
CelebrenIthil
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Hidden Sanity » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:26 am

Of course, for all we know, the nuts could pop in the cauldron and then pop in the cauldron.
Hidden Sanity

Postby BakaGrappler » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:30 am

MadZuri wrote:We aren't in FirstPost anymore, that isn't necessary, really.

I keep expecting there to be a CapsLoch side, and a person from that side TO ALWAYS YELL AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS. But that would be silly.

He could be Will Ferrel, playing the guy who has no control over the pitch and volume of his voice from SNL.

But I wanna say something to Arthur Chu here. Way to go man. And all that hate you're getting? To sum up Stanley, "When everyone else in the world is out to get you, you know you're doing something right." You've been playing the game so well, everyone is stupefied. Keep it up!

And reading this particular short story is so fun. I wonder if lightning rods are going to be involved, to electrocute sieging enemies who are approaching in the pools of water. After all, Castle Storms YOU.

And as a result of this story, I've been in the planning process of a Fan Fic myself. In it, I want to try and really explore something. Practical combat Signamancy. There is definitely a field where it can come in handy. It'll take a long time to write, but I enjoy a challenge.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Previous

Return to Reactions