Re: Digdoug - Episode 3

Postby Lipkin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Alice in chains. Ha.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Manic Oppressive » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:47 pm

Yeah, I was wondering what horrible pun name Lady Chains would have, and I wasn't disappointed. :mrgreen:

She's probably dead by the end of this story though.
Why yes, I do like Jillian. WHAT OF IT?
Manic Oppressive

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:59 pm

Huh ok so clarification that Digdoug didn't pop to this side but is still fairly young.

Interesting episode, tells us a bit more about cities which is nice. Interesting to have such a sudden plot twist in episode 3 though....seemed like the story was going to play out in Weatherbug...not sure how Rob is gonna do something in only 2 updates but I'm eager to see it unfold!
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Biostar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Manic Oppressive wrote:She's probably dead by the end of this story though.

I get that feeling too. Digdoug should have took her up on her offer.
Biostar
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Jacinth and Rubies » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:37 am

Oooooh, cockblocked by your Ruler - that must be frustrating. And Digdoug has yet to put in any real traps, distressingly. I wonder what was so pressing that Posbrake felt the need to change his original orders. I hope that that idiot Eften isn't complicating matters by dallying in politics.

It seems that dirtamancy is a very under-appreciated school by the rulers of Erfworld - and is potentially the most potentially OP, given the range of what such casters can do and their low rate of appearance. Use of terrain features for traps, tunnelling, anything earthwork related make them super versatile... and yet most Rulers seem to stick them on Janitorial Duty.

It also seems that the older a side is, the more the nobles seem to forget that the humble towns are what permit the cities to exist and thrive, if Eften's attitude is typical - surely Delkey must have towns and farms that produce and support the main city.

Biostar wrote:I get that feeling too. Digdoug should have took her up on her offer.

He was thinking about it, expected to be in town for a few more turns, and has an understandable aversion to screwing around in manure - I wouldn't be too hard on the guy.
Jacinth and Rubies

Postby Arky » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:58 am

Oh dear, I didn't get "Allison Chains" until coming to the thread. A clear sign that my head isn't in an Erfy place today. Maybe she should have been Lady Gaga so we could make Bad Romance jokes right about now.

I wonder if our friendly neighbourhood Dirtamancer can spend juice on his trap while he waits for the hippocrate to arrive. It seems like the #1 best thing he could do for this place. Any old Command & Conquer player could tell you how much damage a Tesla coil can do to incoming infantry who don't know what they're walking into...

This does feel like politics, though, and someone making a bad decision (unless the reason is that a surprise attack is incoming to the capital and they need Doug reinforcing it more than they need him reinforcing Rain Town).
Arky

Postby Beeskee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:10 am

Poor guy, unspent magically and, ahem, elsewhere. He had some good ideas. :D
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:21 am

I'm betting it has something to do with Duke Eften, or Homekey's parent side Delkey.
Lipkin

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 am

If giant electric cannons aren't Shockamancy, I can honestly say I have no idea what Shockamancy might even do anymore. Still cool as hell though. Do you suppose there are Battery-Acid Rock Golems? Or maybe Shock Rock Golems?

Most sides thought of Dirtamancers as custodians, mere fabricators or golem tinkers.
What's this mean? Is it another example of him not knowing magic, or is fabrication include other elements too. I'm having visions of people with Duracell backpacks and lightning guns, recharged by lightning farms. Or maybe some ARTILLERY BATTERIES. Sorry.

It occurred to him that it might be worth making a crap golem in here, but he didn’t care to think about how it would hold up in this weather.
So the weather can actually mess up a golem. Interesting,

Let’s see, he’d had a plan here...oh, right. He was going to start with spell storage...
So that's a thing he can modify somehow?

Also, anyone know what the word "farathooms" means?I get the other two are from Battlestar and Farscape, but even Google didn't recognize this one.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby BakaGrappler » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:12 am

Oh, BOOP YEAH! DIRTAMANCER RAAAAAAAAGE!

I'm going to enjoy the next update. I have a feeling it's be like Ravenholm by the time he's done and the NumLock forces arrive. Duty can compel an action, but Loyalty can override Duty. It seems that Digdoug is going to do something stupid, and heroic.

And I think Shockamancy is the creation of attacks from nothing but magical energy. Dirtamancy is the use of using / altering pre-existing features to create attacks, hence, using lightning instead of magic to make Trap Fuel, and one that can target any position within the city's perimeter.

And I'm giving a 50% chance Allison is dead, and 50% that she's captured, i.e. wearing prisoner's chains.

Traps that only target enemies, huh?

I am SOOOOO looking forward to the next update. Thank you very much to the Backers who are authorizing us to see their stories, and to Rob for writing them.
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Postby Lipkin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:49 am

Shai_hulud wrote:If giant electric cannons aren't Shockamancy, I can honestly say I have no idea what Shockamancy might even do anymore. Still cool as hell though. Do you suppose there are Battery-Acid Rock Golems? Or maybe Shock Rock Golems?

I think the lightning itself is probably natural shockmancy. The lightning rod, being metal, is dirtamancy. A dirtamancer is able to redirect or convert the natural shockmancy, but not create the lightning itself.

I think we've seen that towers in general can convert juice into raw, stored shockmancy. So the lightning rod is modifying the tower so that it can also store the lightning. Making the lightning rod differentiate between friend and foe seems less difficult than making a golem. It's the difference between an auto-firing system and a full on robot.
Lipkin

Postby fehler » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:07 am

Given the naming theme of the side, I would have bet money Lady Chains' given name would have been "Daisy".
fehler

Postby fourgueule » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:18 am

Hello everyone !
Long time poster, first time reader blablabla. (Or the inverse maybe o: )

I just registered to say that:

“It was a thought, Dirty,” she finally said, her voice low and even. “Just a dirty thought"

Is a classic 8-)

(Also, I did try to make a reply first and it saved a draft ?
Must have done something wrong =P)
fourgueule

Postby multilis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:48 pm

"I wonder what was so pressing that Posbrake felt the need to change his original orders."

The turn has already started. So units are now moving, and new scouting and perhaps battles. Something has obviously changed in known situation. (orders would probably have been given before start of turn if was already known)

Either a new threat to capital, or overwhelming threat to Weatherbug is possible. For example Lady Chains could already be dead/ambushed. (Ruler would immediately know if his units were killed)

(if you know enemy goes raiding on their turn you might invest in foolomancy, traps, etc to kill them outside their walls. Or you might have some way of turning important units in their armies to betray them. Easier to kill armies outside their city then defending it, as Ansom pointed out in book 1)
multilis

Postby Jacinth and Rubies » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:43 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:
Most sides thought of Dirtamancers as custodians, mere fabricators or golem tinkers.
What's this mean? Is it another example of him not knowing magic, or is fabrication include other elements too.

Fabrication seems to be the ability to convert raw materials or other finished goods into other goods, and is probably a fairly common (though not universal) trait; twolls have it, after all. "Tinkering" usually refer either to the repair or maintenance of things; Perhaps due to their natural Stuffamancy affinity, Dirtamancers have some ability to repair other Golems (such as the cloth and glass ones) as well as make their own. A pity they only come with the "create boring traps out of the terrain itself" ability and not the "make sweet raiment for the side OMG :o " ability that Dollamancers do.

Shai_hulud wrote:
Let’s see, he’d had a plan here...oh, right. He was going to start with spell storage...
So that's a thing he can modify somehow?

Maybe it has to do with how spells are stored on a tower? I mean, you can convert juice to make magical scrolls; perhaps the tower defences are stored in a similar manner. A caster uses their juice to store a "charge" of a particular spell on the tower, and can possibly leave multiple charges of the same spell; this would mean that the zap cannon could be used multiple times without needing Digdoug to be present at the battle, and he can come fill it up again after the battle is over for the next time.
Jacinth and Rubies

Postby drachefly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:44 pm

This was just one unexpected thing after another, wasn't it?
drachefly

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Ohhh my shipping senses (Standard Lvl 1 Date-amancer class feature) were tingling from the start with Chains and Dirty :P but their possible future romantic encounter might have spelled doom for the warlady.

That or it might be the thing which helps her survive.

It's interesting the contrast between how dirtamancers are treated in the MK (filthy rich rockstars) vs how they're treated in the "real world" almost something to be ashamed by.

To be frank rulers seem to be really picky about their casters "oh croakamancy is teh evil"/"oh dirtamancers roll around in mud like pigs"/"carnies will swindle you" instead of you know being grateful their side has access to a whole new strategic playing field with any new discipline, I'll bet the most popular discipline (among rulers) is dollamancy for their ability to create clothes.
Prodigial_Knight

Postby Lipkin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:15 pm

I think the most popular discipline is probably Thinkomancy. Dollamancy has got to be up there though.
Lipkin

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:24 pm

Lipkin wrote:I think the most popular discipline is probably Thinkomancy. Dollamancy has got to be up there though.

So the human equivalent of a cell phone :P kind of makes the same point I was trying to make about the perspective of rulers.
Prodigial_Knight

Next

Return to Reactions