Digdoug - Episode 6

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 6

Postby balder » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:59 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 6

Postby Xarx » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Very keen to know what's really going on here.
Xarx

Postby bladestorm » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Hmm, another flying unit. That special seems to be getting more and more common.
bladestorm

Postby Lipkin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Interesting and engaging as usual.

The second paragraph caused me to have an odd thought. Most animals on Erf are treated as jokes, much like everything else. Doombats. Orlies. The horned sheep. But then there are creatures that seem no different than the ones that we are familiar with. The fish Jillian killed for rations. The woodchuck.

In the second paragraph, the Prince is described as wearing an ermine-line jacket. Does this mean that ermine exist as a creature on Erf? Or is the material simply something that pops like everything else? If the latter, is the material called simply ermine, and not ermine fur, due to there being nothing else that could be called ermine?

I'm not even sure what I'm asking, or what sort of answer I want. I'm not even sure I'm making sense. I need to get some sleep.

I guess I'm just pointing out the coexistence of fantastical animals and mundane ones, and wondering at the implications.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Thomar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:34 pm

"Whatever my brother came here to say, it is less important to me than the toilets in my most distant city." And there's a message one layer under that one which Doug missed. It's, "I'm not afraid of your side, even though you're only one hex away and could go for a capital strike in a single turn."

This strategy will work if Delkey is only concerned about Matters Of Royalty. This strategy is going to drive Delkey to desperation if they're paranoid that Posbrake is planning to commit patricide.
Last edited by Thomar on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thomar

Postby Denar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:35 pm

So, Posbrake's planning to become a little bit more independent. Best to hide the numbers of the secret units he's been popping and shore up the defenses of his capital. No wonder he's so glad he pulled Digdoug out in time.

In the second paragraph, the Prince is described as wearing an ermine-line jacket. Does this mean that ermine exist as a creature on Erf? Or is the material simply something that pops like everything else? If the latter, is the material called simply ermine, and not ermine fur, due to there being nothing else that could be called ermine?

I bet it's another one of those oddities of Erfworld... they have banks and butchers and houses in cities (with all the beds and vaults and other furniture) without a soul ever needing to step inside one or "use" it... I'm going with "it's the name of the material that pops", and is practically identical to our ermine fur in every way, in the same way our banks/houses/butchers are.

Unless there's some witty pun to go along with it visually as well.
Denar

Postby bladestorm » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Denar wrote:So, Posbrake's planning to become a little bit more independent. Best to hide the numbers of the secret units he's been popping and shore up the defenses of his capital. No wonder he's so glad he pulled Digdoug out in time.

I bet it's another one of those oddities of Erfworld... they have banks and butchers and houses in cities (with all the beds and vaults and other furniture) without a soul ever needing to step inside one or "use" it... I'm going with "it's the name of the material that pops", and is practically identical to our ermine fur in every way, in the same way our banks/houses/butchers are.

I'm going with just the material name. He is also wearing silk, which come from a specific mundane animal. It likely is a material obtainable by an extremely wealthy side, or by combining the talents of a moneymancer and a dollamancer -- raiment of expensive materials.

Also, Posbrake wouldn't have to hide the number of the units he is popping. It has already been established that he is popping a lot of units on a horizontal strategy. The type of unit may not have to be reported. What may be an issue is that he is reporting a lot of low level cities that generate too low of smuckers to be taxable by the home side. With a Dirtamancer, those low-income level 1's can defend like a level 3 or 4, without the associated smucker return. Homekey is playing Cheap, and based upon the casters and Creen's attire, Delkey is playing expensively.

I think Delkey is expecting Homekey to be bringing in much more 'tribute' as part of the alliance, and so they sent the money man to sniff out where the funds are being hidden since they obviosuly are not being reported. This may also be a setup for Parson spinning off his own Side, and Stanley wanting to know where all the Smuckers end up going to.
bladestorm

Postby Radagast » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Hmm... Boosted air defence meet flying prince?
Radagast

Postby sheepfly » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:09 pm

My thoughts exactly, Radagast.

Digdoug spends his time in the capital city creating defenses against flying units.

Now, we learn that Prince Creen is a flying unit.

Probably not a coincidence.
What would YOU say if you'd won with strength and duty and honor every time when suddenly a veiled flying zero-upkeep 100% recycled army of former friends showed up to croak you with massive numbers and bonuses and skulls with little pink flowers?

Yeah..
sheepfly

Postby BCCroaker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:22 pm

It seems Digdoug has had little or no leave time in the Magic Kingdom with either side he's been with. He mentioned earlier he'd never met another dirtamancer and this time he says he rarely meets other casters at all.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sky Schemer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:00 pm

I am liking this story more and more. There is a lot going on here, but the most interesting part to me is seeing a kingdom with an abundance of competence, starting with its ruler and going all the way down. In fact, I don't think we've been introduced to anyone under Posbrake that has been viewed unfavorably or come across as such.
Sky Schemer
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Deezee » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:13 pm

I feel like the vast majority of thinking units we've seen so far are competent at their jobs, at least, although many of them seem to be unable to understand the other roles in a side. It does seem like Homekey has smaller number of incompetent units though, which I'm tempted to argue is because his warlords are all promoted from infantry units, and presumably exceptional ones. Stanley puts this into doubt though; while he's quite a force on the battlefield, he seems to have a much weaker grasp of strategy than say, Hunt or Lady Chains. Most likely it's because the King himself is quite crafty, and the side has been at war for its whole existence. As a result, Posbrake probably only keeps capable units around, while the incompetent ones (and many competent ones as well) are sent off to die in the field.
Deezee

Postby Knott » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:56 pm

bladestorm wrote:
Denar wrote:
Lipkin wrote:The second paragraph caused me to have an odd thought. Most animals on Erf are treated as jokes, much like everything else. Doombats. Orlies. The horned sheep. But then there are creatures that seem no different than the ones that we are familiar with. The fish Jillian killed for rations. The woodchuck.

I'm going with just the material name. He is also wearing silk, which come from a specific mundane animal. It likely is a material obtainable by an extremely wealthy side, or by combining the talents of a moneymancer and a dollamancer -- raiment of expensive materials.

Or it could simply be that the line, instead of being a transcription of Digdoug's thoughts, is actually just the author describing something to the reader using words the reader would understand. Personally though, its the first time I've ever seen the word 'ermine', but in context I expected it to be some kind of fur; and wikipedia did confirm that it was an animal.

When it comes to erf animals and the occational non-erfisized animal like Jillian's Fish and Lord Crush's Rat, I would point out that when animals with erf pun/memetic nomenclature are mentioned they are units with combat stats. When animals without a special erf-name appears it is usually in the context of being foragable rations or "features" of the terrain.
Although we have yet to see a detailed canon explaination of the phenomenon, my guess would be that these creatures are best described as feral units with something like a "critter" subtype. In terms of combat, they are utterly neglible; their only defense is the attacker's miss-chance. A "critter swarm" could be a thing though, but we've yet to see any.
Knott
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Yeah, this intrigue is likely to be interesting. Three thoughts I'd like to share:

1. That the "flying" special of Prince Creen might be a subtle reference to its position on a keyboard -- above and detached from the others
  2. I wonder if the moneymancer is slightly hard of hearing, and everytime he is addressed, he looks puzzled and replies "Ya talkin to me?"
  3. Is Digdoug's ruler about to chew him out, or be sympathetic and confide in him?
Sir Cedric: Delayed? How so?
Wamba: Well, when I heard Normans were approaching I ran to lock up my wife. But, she'd also heard they were approaching, and locked me up instead.
Lor

Postby Free Radical » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:32 pm

King Posbrake dropped his smile, pressed his lips together, and gave Digdoug the strangest look, as if he had something to say but couldn’t say it here. There was a flash in his eyes of...sympathy? Or guilt, almost? Digdoug wasn’t great about reading people, especially the King.

King Posbrake sounds like he did know for certain that DigDoug would have died if he hadn't been ordered out of the city, and he's demonstrated that he puts some thought into having useful magic working for him. Could he have had a Predictamancer tell him that? I imagine that Charlie could easily facilitate communication between a ruler and a barbarian caster who can't meet face to face. As Sky Schemer notes, the entire kingdom seems extremely competent. I wonder if he has a Findamancer pick the soldiers that he promotes to warlord?

Also, his rules-lawyering of the contract sounds like Signamancy, which much of the organisation of the side in general also sounds like. I wondered earlier in the story if Posbrake himself was secretly a Signamancer, but he was apparently Chief Warlord of Delkey, so I guess not.

Here's a crazy idea though - a side usually pops a caster in its first few warlords.. except Homekey promotes warlords from the ranks, so it hasn't had warlords to pop as casters instead. They pop courtiers though, which have at least enough similarity to warlord units that both can be appointed to manage a city, and which Homekey probably wouldn't pay any attention to the movements of once they've popped. Homekey's courtiers include Chief Bucky, who sounds like an excellent candidate for a Chief Signamancer, and their contract with Delkey seems to only require them to tell them their production orders and total expenses - if a production order of a courtier can also pop as a caster, Delkey would only know that they intended to pop a courtier and that they are paying more in expenses each turn than Delkey would expect from what units they expect them to have.

A Signamancer, a Findamancer and a Predictamancer all seem to use magic that could go unnoticed if you thought you knew a side had no casters at all. Does Homekey have all three, unknown to Delkey? With DigDoug's boost to the tower, four casters to hang spells on the tower and a Predictamancer to direct those spells, Homekey could likely take down a massive air assault.
Free Radical

Postby Knott » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 pm

@Free Radical:
Its a good theory, but I would expect that popping courtiers is vastly cheaper than popping warlords (and probably cheaper than single unit combat units) to the point that getting a caster is not possible or so incredibly rare its not a valid caster-popping strategy.

Secret casters is an interesting concept. A problem though is that warlords (and casters?) can see unit stats. But then again, I would expect that changing the appearance of this report, relabeling the sign if you will, is something a Signamancer could do. The three eyemancer classes would also be a good guess on who could make fake IDs.

_
Also in erf's magic system I beleive that not everything needs to be exclusive to one particular discipline, overlapping and different approaches to the same results should exist.

Take this episode f.ex. Digdoug is able to detect metal quantity at just a glance and also identify jewlery gems for what they are with his Dirtamancy arcane sight. I would expect that a moneymancer's arcane sight could also identify this at just a glance. It would be very different perspectives, but same result.

As such, Digdoug's statement that cleansing to start-of-turn condition is Dirtamancy is probably an uninformed and/or biased observation rather than a hard fact. I would expect that f.ex. a Healomancer could produce the same result with a slightly different approach.
Knott

Postby Jacinth and Rubies » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:19 pm

King Minus really wants to keep his son on a short leash, doesn't he? Forced his son to sign a contract, requires him to pop an heir if his existing one croaks, demands daily expense reports (!); likely the reason for Delkey troops in Weatherbug is due to a clause where Delkey has troops stationed in every city (wonder what else is in that Contract...). Seems like he's a leeeeettle bit of a control freak. I can see why King Posbrake thinks the latrines in his outmost city are more important than Delkey business; his dad has tried to muzzle him, and he's been chafed raw with the demands (and there's probably nothing short of blind compliance that would satisfy his father anyway). Minus is going to wind up badgering his son into attacking him by refusing to lighten up on his demands. A pity, really - his son seems to be a very intelligent and capable Ruler in his own right, and were Minus not so rigid, they might have enjoyed a long alliance.

Hmmm, I wonder where Posbrake has been spending his extra schmuckers...
Jacinth and Rubies

Postby Zippy the Squirrel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:34 pm

King Posbrake and Prince Creen are brothers, right?

I think Charlescomm might make an appearance in this short. Posbrake's concealed expenses are him paying for a contract with Charlie to provide mercenaries with which to surprise his father's army when Homekey rebels.

Oooh, or, Posbrake is lying about casualties sustained during the fighting, making it seem as those his numbers are fewer than they actually are to surprise Delkey when he declares independence. That could include Lady Chains, how romantic! Maybe. I don't do romance.

Or he's been cooking the books and saving up money to give DigDoug the means to improve the capital defenses for when Homekey... well, whatever it is, I definitely think there's gonna be an alliance dissolution.
Zippy the Squirrel
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby spriteless » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:43 pm

The narration keeps hammering that DigDoug doesn't know other casters. This story could take place long after Parson's story, after he breaks Magic Kingdom, but not war itself. After he defeats Charlie, but before he wins every corner of Erf, if he even decides to.

(Assuming Posbrake got his intel from someone other than Charlie.)

Hmm, if Prince Creen needed to he could liquidate jewelry quick, much like real jewelry would be. He could cut and run should his side fall more effectively than, say, those other heirs of Erfworld who were orphaned with an army and a purse, Wanda and Jillian. Digdoug has an interesting perspective for a mechanic that parallels similar tactics in Stupidworld. Risky tactic though, since if Creen is captured or croaked then Posbrake gets a lot of schmuckers.
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby ftl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:49 am

This seems to show that a restrictive contract seems like the wrong way to split off a side.

You want a side next to you that is fundamentally friendly to you. Not a side that fundamentally hates you but is forced to follow a narrow set of rules.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions