Digdoug - Episode 6

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 6

Postby Rolan7 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 pm

I'm really loving this arc. Possibly because the characters involved all seem competent, and the main character is an unassuming dirtamancer. Even Creen, who I expected to be a buffoon, seems able to conduct himself gracefully. The main plot is great, but I'm eager to see this to its conclusion too.

I feel like we can trust the warlords when they say Chains croaked. Tragic though it is. I think Posbrake did know ahead of time, though, so I'm leaning toward the "secret casters" explanation. I don't even think he plans to break alliance. He seems like a wise ruler, so he may just be improving his bargaining position in preparation for dissolving this restrictive agreement with his father. Upgrading to an alliance of true equals, instead of the "Well he'll probably fail" meat-shield situation. Dissolving the contract is probably prohibitively expensive without the other party's consent, depending on what they agreed upon.
Rolan7

Postby lonetrey » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:06 am

Wow.

Prince Creen.

Print Screen.

That took me WAAAAAY TOO LONG to get. I just realized it this very moment!
lonetrey

Postby My2Cents » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:00 am

Digdoug could detect that the buckles were not solid gold. Interesting.
We've only really heard about gem mining, but are other materials mined too?
Is gold and silver also convertible to schmuckers?

Perhaps having mined iron (etc) available can lower the price of producing units in the same way that foraged rations reduce upkeep.
My2Cents

Postby Lilwik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:18 am

My2Cents wrote:We've only really heard about gem mining, but are other materials mined too?
Remember the various types of Dirtamancy golems that we've seen. In addition to crap golems there were soft rock, acid rock, hard rock, and metal golems.It's no proof, but that suggests to me that those are materials that can be mined. I'd guess that Sizemore mined them to get the raw material for those golems.

My2Cents wrote:Is gold and silver also convertible to shmuckers?
I expect that we would have heard about it by now if that were true, but there's no way to really know. If they can't be converted directly then maybe you can sell them to a Dollamancer in the Magic Kingdom.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:11 am

Lilwik wrote:
My2Cents wrote:Is gold and silver also convertible to shmuckers?
I expect that we would have heard about it by now if that were true, but there's no way to really know.

Although Digdoug could detect that the shoe buckles were not solid gold, much of the rest of his jewelry was of a quality that the pieces were directly convertible to Shmuckers.
The implication of this sentence is that if they were solid gold, they would not be different from the rest of the jewelry.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:33 am

Shai_hulud wrote:The implication of this sentence is that if they were solid gold, they would not be different from the rest of the jewelry.
Well spotted. Looking at it that way, I think you're right and I was mistaken. I guess gold can be converted into shmuckers in much the same way as gems.
Lilwik

Postby cheeseaholic » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:58 am

Don King's gold ring was supposed to be valuable enough that Jillian would have taken it if she didn't know Royal etiquette.
cheeseaholic

Postby DarkSteamy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:24 am

First, hello all! I'm new to the Forums, but have lurked a short while. It's nice to meet you all, and here's hoping to great further updates, and the speculation that goes on behind them!

"Having both a Dollamancer and a Moneymancer on your side must be nice."
This phrase tweaked my interest, so since everyone seemed to be discussing it already, I thought I'd pop in for a round of questions.

Its implied that the fancy bling was created by the dual efforts of both a Dollamancer and a Moneymancer. Do you think that this sort of stuff requires a link-up, like the Eye-Books did? Are there other examples of Magicians working together outside a link to make grander and more complex multi-class spells/items? Is it possible that Magicians can work outside a link to a certain point, but great big stuff requires a link?
DarkSteamy

Postby 0beron » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:17 pm

I think casters can very often work collaboratively in ways that don't require a link. Look at Cubbins and Ace for example. Cubbins provided materials that Ace needed to make his items. This could be exactly the same thing, except the Moneymancer is making materials directly from the Treasury. The materials produced by Cubbins or Dinero are not especially useful by themselves, but serve as valid fodder for a Dollamancer.

It makes sense, since we know Moneymancers can make Gems, a physical holder of currency, so making other currency-holding materials seems in line with their power.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby joosy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:18 pm

Perhaps the side leaking info to Numloch is Delkey, not Homekey. Posbrake may be aware of this but cannot say anything without proof and a plan in case it results in war with their parent side.

Spoiler: show
That would explain a few things... Delkey is trying to discredit Homekey but is losing their own credibility with each Homekey victory. One of the major reasons for these victories is the actions of DigDoug to improve the cities defenses. Minus and Creen want Digdoug taken out of the picture so they wait until he is at Weatherbug and then leak info/resources to Numloch so they will attack in force. Posbrake finds out and pulls DigDoug out just in time. He gets a costly victory but a victory nevertheless thanks to his Dirtamancer tactics which rub his success even further into Minus' face. Posbrake is expecting a showdown of some sort with Homekey hence the enhancements he had DigDoug make to the tower.
joosy

Postby joosy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:24 pm

My2Cents wrote:Is gold and silver also convertible to schmuckers?

Perhaps having a Moneymancer/Dollamancer combo allows that - the Dollamancer makes the outfit and the Moneymancer adds real Schmuckers into the existing buckles, buttons, brooches, cufflinks, etc. so that they can be converted directly into Schmuckers. This would not require a linkup - just different skillsets being used on the same items - much like the Ace and Cubbins tag team.

Now I'm thinking what items could be created/modified by using a moneymancer/dollamancer linkup.. a wallet that, when opened, makes it rain - very effective distraction against Dolls, molls, skanks, etc. A Golden "gun" that makes a great assassination weapon? A golden calf that increases loyalty to all allied units in the hex? Hmmm..
joosy

Postby Xarx » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:25 pm

joosy wrote:Perhaps the side leaking info to Numloch is Delkey, not Homekey. Posbrake may be aware of this but cannot say anything without proof and a plan in case it results in war with their parent side.

Spoiler: show
That would explain a few things... Delkey is trying to discredit Homekey but is losing their own credibility with each Homekey victory. One of the major reasons for these victories is the actions of DigDoug to improve the cities defenses. Minus and Creen want Digdoug taken out of the picture so they wait until he is at Weatherbug and then leak info/resources to Numloch so they will attack in force. Posbrake finds out and pulls DigDoug out just in time. He gets a costly victory but a victory nevertheless thanks to his Dirtamancer tactics which rub his success even further into Minus' face. Posbrake is expecting a showdown of some sort with Homekey hence the enhancements he had DigDoug make to the tower.

This is the most plausible explanation I've seen so far.
Xarx

Postby Omnimancer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:38 pm

0beron wrote:I think casters can very often work collaboratively in ways that don't require a link. Look at Cubbins and Ace for example. Cubbins provided materials that Ace needed to make his items. This could be exactly the same thing, except the Moneymancer is making materials directly from the Treasury. The materials produced by Cubbins or Dinero are not especially useful by themselves, but serve as valid fodder for a Dollamancer.

It makes sense, since we know Moneymancers can make Gems, a physical holder of currency, so making other currency-holding materials seems in line with their power.

That's what I think too. The moneymancer summoned gold, the dollamancer turned it into clothes.

I wonder whether that kind of flashy jewelry actually serves a tactical purpose, or is just a way of showing off like gold jewelry in real life. Of course, carrying some shmuckers around with you in tangible form might be handy.
Omnimancer
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:02 am

Isn't there a limited number of items that any unit can carry? Or is that just magic items? Clothing might bypass that. Along with other things, like boxes or the like. I thought that they mentioned that in book 1 somewhere but I can't remember where, and i could just be my imagination.
cheeseaholic

Postby bpzinn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:17 am

Omnimancer wrote:I wonder whether that kind of flashy jewelry actually serves a tactical purpose, or is just a way of showing off like gold jewelry in real life. Of course, carrying some shmuckers around with you in tangible form might be handy.

1. Sumptuary laws. If they exist by default, or if some magic (signamancy or dollamancy) can enact them, then clothes of fine enough quality might be made such that only royal/noble units can benefit from wearing them.

2. Hypothetical "quality" bonus, an addition to any enchantments placed there by the dollamancer.

3. As both gem quality product, it can have both moneymancy and dollamancy effects enchanted onto it, expanding the range of possible effects granted. (A dollamancer can improve it because it is rainment; maybe a moneymancer can also improve it because it is gem quality equivalent. Assuming a moneymancer can place mojo on a gem/coin/blinged out grill/pimp cane/etc.)

4. Easier to keep the item from being captured. If captured, you can instantaneously convert it into Shmuckers, and it is gone. Destroying heavily enchanted magic items in the field might be take some time and/or be dangerous.

5. As you mentioned, Prince Creen is a walking mini treasury. The purse a commander can hold only level * 1000 Shmuckers. That is not a lot. Parson's upkeep is ~1,000 Shmk a turn; his purse is 3000-4000; he can only live off that for 3-4 days, not including any supported units. PrtScr could be able to support himself and a sizable stack for weeks/months or longer out of the clothes on his back. He is basically wearing his Bug-Out-Bag every time he goes out in public.
bpzinn

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:01 pm

Omnimancer wrote:
0beron wrote:I think casters can very often work collaboratively in ways that don't require a link. Look at Cubbins and Ace for example. Cubbins provided materials that Ace needed to make his items. This could be exactly the same thing, except the Moneymancer is making materials directly from the Treasury. The materials produced by Cubbins or Dinero are not especially useful by themselves, but serve as valid fodder for a Dollamancer.

That's what I think too. The moneymancer summoned gold, the dollamancer turned it into clothes.

I wonder whether that kind of flashy jewelry actually serves a tactical purpose, or is just a way of showing off like gold jewelry in real life. Of course, carrying some shmuckers around with you in tangible form might be handy.

I'm guessing it's a way to force Signamancy you project the appeareance of being rich/noble, then other characters react to those traits either positevely or negatively.

I'm kinda miffed now with Price Creen and his flying special, Ossomer should have had it as well as to make the Superman refferences complete.
Prodigial_Knight

Postby 0beron » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Prodigial_Knight wrote:I'm kinda miffed now with Price Creen and his flying special, Ossomer should have had it as well as to make the Superman refferences complete.
But then how would they have dusted him if he could fly under his own power? :p
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:35 pm

0beron wrote:
Prodigial_Knight wrote:I'm kinda miffed now with Price Creen and his flying special, Ossomer should have had it as well as to make the Superman refferences complete.
But then how would they have dusted him if he could fly under his own power? :p

I did appreciate his last line too, seemed very fitting.
Prodigial_Knight

Postby Zeku » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Duke of Forshift

Shift-4 is a dollar sign
Zeku

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:41 pm

Dang, I missed that. Thanks.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!