Digdoug - Episode 8

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 8

Postby balder » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:44 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 8

Postby Rolan7 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:00 pm

The easy money's on this being some sort of trick. She's a carneymancer, surely she's playing him somehow, right? But the characterization makes me think that maybe our hero just got really fortunate.

Of course, that doesn't mean that cheating the prophecy will turn out well ;) An honest carneymancer is one thing, but defying fate *never* works out. Unless, with the right team of competent ruler, carneymancer, and hero, it's actually possible...
Rolan7

Postby RainyDay » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Lady Dove Barstool sounds like a perfect match for the female carnymancer with Jojo.
RainyDay

Postby Thomar » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:22 pm

And once again we see that Dirtamancers are well-respected in the Magic Kingdom. I would hazard a guess that this is because it's not a city site, and therefore the only way to build structures is through Dirtamancy or manual labor.

Time to go update the wiki on the Magic Kingdom.
Thomar

Postby No one in particular » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Every time I see new info about the MK or how magic (or anything, really!) works, I re-enact the scene from Street Fighter. "YESS!!!"
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby sheepfly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Yup, time to find out how many ways can this can go horribly wrong. (Or horribly right, really.)
What would YOU say if you'd won with strength and duty and honor every time when suddenly a veiled flying zero-upkeep 100% recycled army of former friends showed up to croak you with massive numbers and bonuses and skulls with little pink flowers?

Yeah..
sheepfly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby joosy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Lady Dove Barstool's description matches one of the Carnymancers that JoJo had organized to originally stop Parson from getting through the gate.

More confirmation of what we had so far inferred about the Magic Kingdom - the whole kingdom is one hex, it is surrounded by ocean, there are over 200 portals in the portal garden and they all come from a fixed point under the ground.
I am assuming that means that there are a limited number of capitol sites in Erfworld (where portals to the MK can link to) and that there are corresponding portal sites that are turned off or on depending on if the capitol site has a city on it and that it is the side's capitol (assuming they have more than one capitol). The fact that the GK portal changed to where Spacerock's used to be is evidence that each capitol site has a corresponding portal site.

I wonder if Parson will figure out some way to break the portal magic as well. Maybe he will get some casters together to build some formidable ships and figure out a sailing route to the MK other than the portals. Perhaps creating some artificial islands as resting points and set up a dwagon relay.

other notes: I like how Delkey's frugalistic attitude extends even to the MK Portal that is treated like a holy shrine in any other capitol we have seen so far. Its just another storeroom to them.
I also enjoyed the Thinkmancer name reference as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_Willis
I really liked Lady Dove's cold reading and other confidence person techniques to direct the conversation and guarantee herself some sort of compensation for this encounter.
Last edited by joosy on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
joosy

Postby Sallo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:43 pm

I have the feeling this could be a long con.
I hope I'm incorrect.
Sallo
Tool + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Free Radical » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:57 pm

So much cool stuff in that update.

By Dove's guesses, Moneymancers, Healomancers, Thinkamancers and Hat Magicians should be some of the most likely barbarian casters to be hired, which I guess seems sensible - they've all got magic of types that would be in high demand for sides to hire. And the Signamancers probably get along well arranging contracts for other casters. But on the opposite end, she sounds like Carnymancers have a hard time scraping together upkeep to the point she'd take the lowest paying jobs.

I wonder if this all works out for Homekey, if they would afterwards make cheaply hiring Predictamancers and Carnymancers a key part of their strategy. After all, knowing what's Fated to happen and being almost the only side willing to hire Carnies to change the Fated things they don't like sounds like an incredible combination.

“One more guess,” said Digdoug. He didn’t remember agreeing to this game, but he had to admit it was fun. And he didn’t think it violated his secrecy order.

That's Carnymancy in a nutshell, isn't it. He didn't think it violated his secrecy order. Even though if she guessed right not answering would clearly be the same result as outright telling her, it doesn't directly violate the order, so she can convince him to go along with it by making it seem fun. By delaying Hat Magician and Thinkamancer until her last guess she even managed to get four guesses out of her game.
Free Radical

Postby No one in particular » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Slightly more in-depth response:

A) "After a few minutes spent watching the parade of strange and often outlandish raiment on display, he considered returning to Homekey’s library to re-read what the Titans had written about this place." There are a few typos here, let me get those for you...
    "After a few minutes spent [reading] the [new update], [the fans] considered returning to [the archives/wiki] to re-read what the Titans had written about this place." ;p

B) So, Lady Barstool was clearly working Digdoug over... do we think it was non-magical acting, or did she spend some juice for confidence back when she touched his shoulder (ala Thinkamancer's suggestions)?
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Gryffon » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:15 pm

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/?px=%2F2012-11-27.jpg I knew I recognized her just from her description.

Also, is this the first time we've heard people address the strange, gray skin thing? Apparently, Maggie must have seen something quite terrible.
Gryffon
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby joosy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:18 pm

Gryffon wrote:http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/?px=%2F2012-11-27.jpg I knew I recognized her just from her description.

Also, is this the first time we've heard people address the strange, gray skin thing? Apparently, Maggie must have seen something quite terrible.

Agreed. However, Misty, Jack and Maggie were all ashen colored so it may have been a result of being in a link for so long with a non-Masterclass Thinkamancer.
joosy

Postby Free Radical » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:26 pm

No one in particular wrote:B) So, Lady Barstool was clearly working Digdoug over... do we think it was non-magical acting, or did she spend some juice for confidence back when she touched his shoulder (ala Thinkamancer's suggestions)?

Olive Branch was described as being a master of "the spell that costs no juice". I'd guess that kind of charisma and ability to know where to push someone's buttons is probably common to Carnies, since it seems thematically appropriate. It might even be a skill Olive learned from her Carnymancer father.
Free Radical

Postby asparagus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:52 pm

I can't see this hiring working out 100% perfectly otherwise there would be no story.
asparagus

Postby NYbear » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:05 pm

asparagus wrote:I can't see this hiring working out 100% perfectly otherwise there would be no story.

Not necessarily. That's the beauty of Fate and Carnamancy. Even when the end result is what you wanted, the "how" its accomplished leaves much room for imagination; to say nothing of unintended consequences!
NYbear

Postby Whispri » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:28 pm

Interesting that his old Side forbade him entry. Were they afraid he'd go native?
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Azukar » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:41 pm

My question is, was Digdoug specifically told to go and find a Carny, or did he realise that Lady Dove might be able to solve their problem as he was talking to her?

I kinda suspected the former at first, but the wording actually leaves it open.
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Whispri wrote:Interesting that his old Side forbade him entry. Were they afraid he'd go native?

This is far fetched but maybe his old C.C was jealous, maybe he as an individual didn't have much status in the MK and thus used his autorithy derived from his side to screw over my man DD out of spite for the potential rock star-dom he could have obtained in the MK.

Or maybe it's a conspiracy of Dirtamancers who artificially keep the number of Dirtamancers in the MK low so they can charge outrageous prices.

Sizemore is obviously the leader, the don of the organization (remember how manny rands he had to give away when he thought he would die ?)
Prodigial_Knight

Postby 0beron » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:03 pm

So, most of my thoughts have been said already, but I just have to repeat about how interesting this "small small world" bit is, our newest cross-story cameo. I wonder if we will learn something about Barstool that is relevent to the main story.
Interesting to see that there is a sort of hopeless cycle with hiring casters. In order to get in touch with the MK, you have to get in touch with the MK haha. Unless Message Hats are found with some reliability as treasure in Ruins hexes (and Jillian's comment about loosing hers suggests the opposite IMO), this explains how Charlescomm has such a big advantage. Any unit in Erfworld can contact him, to make a hire.

Found a typo btw, missing a word, added in the quote for you Rob.
Sending your own caster here to negotiate was the cheapest and most secure way to do it, but Digdoug had been out in the field until yesterday.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:11 pm

The description of the Magic Kingdom's terrain instantly made me think of Minecraft, and when he said that the bedrock was incredibly hard, I was fairly certain that's what he was describing.

I was certain the carnymancer was Mad Moxxi from Borderlands, but since she's already appeared in the comic with a different look, (not that different) I guess not.

The most significant piece of info this time is the ashen skin. It's one of those things that was fairly obvious, and yet not obvious? I thought it was an artistic choice, but I guess it also works as an ongoing bit of signamancy.

This means that all of Jillian's torture in the Wandabox didn't actual damage or traumatize her.
Zeku

Next

Return to Reactions