Digdoug - Episode 9

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 9

Postby balder » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:40 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 9

Postby cheeseaholic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:52 pm

Well, the forums have considered having them attack themselves. I don't think that the king has yet though.
cheeseaholic

Postby 0beron » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:55 pm

Oooooh such a good update!! Finally we have a more direct explanation of Carnymancy, which is awesome!

Spotted a typo towards the end of the update, corrected in bold:
The Carnymancer shrugged a little. “I’m not sure. Cheating Fate is a very tricky business.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir Shadow » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:12 pm

And now we know why people dislike/distrust Carnymancers. Not many people are fond of rule-breakers.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby victor227 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Gotta say, loving the Carnymancy. It's very interesting how the sponsor stories still manage to apply in terms of concepts that we'll be facing as the comic continues into book 3! If Charlie's a carny, then he's definitely the oldest and most powerful one around.- Also, I find it kind of ironic that in that evolution, he's become more of a business person/consultant, although still a trickster and swindler. Bit of a commentary there?

On a sidenote, couldn't a carny specifically last forever as a barbarian just by making it so that the 'rule' of upkeep doesn't apply to them each turn? I wouldn't be surprised if Postbrake, having that sort of tricky mindset already, doesn't have some plans in mind that would definitely enjoy having a Carnymancer on staff, and the multitude of things they can do.

Casters just seem so incredibly useful and versatile when a side applies strategy around their discipline. Postbrake got a ridiculously good deal, trading a warlord for one. Mind you, warlords are capable of amazing force-multiplication too.
victor227

Postby Sky Schemer » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:46 pm

Rob, you have really outdone yourself on this story, and it just keeps getting better and better.
Sky Schemer
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:59 pm

victor227 wrote:Gotta say, loving the Carnymancy. It's very interesting how the sponsor stories still manage to apply in terms of concepts that we'll be facing as the comic continues into book 3! If Charlie's a carny, then he's definitely the oldest and most powerful one around.- Also, I find it kind of ironic that in that evolution, he's become more of a business person/consultant, although still a trickster and swindler. Bit of a commentary there?

On a sidenote, couldn't a carny specifically last forever as a barbarian just by making it so that the 'rule' of upkeep doesn't apply to them each turn? I wouldn't be surprised if Postbrake, having that sort of tricky mindset already, doesn't have some plans in mind that would definitely enjoy having a Carnymancer on staff, and the multitude of things they can do.

Casters just seem so incredibly useful and versatile when a side applies strategy around their discipline. Postbrake got a ridiculously good deal, trading a warlord for one. Mind you, warlords are capable of amazing force-multiplication too.

Eternal non-upkeep sounds like a violation of mathamancy. The numbers have to add up eventually.

I could see delaying for a while as a costlier or costlier spell though, or perhaps paying in juice somehow or forcing another unit to pay the upkeep (though that sounds more moneymancerish).
cheeseaholic

Postby kiyote » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:15 pm

I could see delaying for a while as a costlier or costlier spell though, or perhaps paying in juice somehow or forcing another unit to pay the upkeep (though that sounds more moneymancerish).

My money would be on that the juice cost would cause this to eventually break down. A simple mechanic would be to have the amount of juice it costs to reduce a unit's upkeep to 0 be slightly more than gets regenerated that day. A fully charged high-level carnymancer may be able to last a while without upkeep, but eventually, he'd have to start paying again.

Also, I expect a carnymancer could reduce upkeep ("Treat my upkeep as if I were a Lvl.1 garrison infantry") and save shmuckers (but not reduce it to zero) as long as the carnymancer doesn't have another use for that juice. This seems in line with what other casters can do, like a dirtamancer to grow provisions, or a mathamancer to reduce upkeep cost.
kiyote
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:16 pm

“Have you considered attacking yourself?”

I got to this part and lost it.

Dove wins. Everything. For all time.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby warriortribble » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:38 pm

Minor detail, but Dove's upkeep is only 75 smuckers? That makes her cheaper than a newly popped Archon.
warriortribble
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby MonteCristo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:19 pm

victor227 wrote:On a sidenote, couldn't a carny specifically last forever as a barbarian just by making it so that the 'rule' of upkeep doesn't apply to them each turn?

There might be something that might prevent them from abusing the mechanic like that... for instance what If Upkeep was directly tied to daily rations, healing and the restoration of juice? The spell would allow the carny to go without paying her upkeep, but she won't receive the benefits that come with it... meaning she would eventually run out of juice and have to pay upkeep to have it restored. It might also mean going without daily rations which means starving yourself which can be unpleasant. Though at the very least, the magic would allow a carny to reduce their costs and make their purse last much longer. Which would be valuable if they have trouble finding work
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby TurtlesAWD » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:38 pm

warriortribble wrote:Minor detail, but Dove's upkeep is only 75 smuckers? That makes her cheaper than a newly popped Archon.

Maybe she's been doing what this thread has speculated a carnymancer is capable of doing, and uses some juice each turn to reduce it? Is there any reason to believe that units that belong to a side have a naturally higher upkeep by virtue of not being barbarians? I recall that Parson's was quite high, something like a thousand.
TurtlesAWD

Postby Thomar » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:46 pm

warriortribble wrote:Minor detail, but Dove's upkeep is only 75 smuckers? That makes her cheaper than a newly popped Archon.

Makes sense. Archons are extremely powerful units, having flight, magical abilities, and leadership. A caster usually only has a single discipline, no leadership, and as much or less combat ability than a stabber.

This might mean that warlords have a higher upkeep cost than casters.
Thomar

Postby cheeseaholic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:58 pm

It just occurred to me that with the capitals so close together, they could share casters. Digdug could fly back and forth in a single turn for building upgrades, and the moneymancer could do whatever it is they do to save on money in the capitol. There's a juice limit, but even so....
cheeseaholic

Postby mortissimus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Really good with an explanation of carnymancy. Powerful stuff in the hands of the right ruler.
mortissimus

Postby twhitt » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:01 pm

“I’ll need you to feed me, and assume my upkeep of 75 Shmuckers a turn" implies that the food cost and the upkeep cost are separate but both required. Perhaps, when used informally, 'upkeep' includes both the amount that is converted into rations, and an amount that simply disappears with no other benefit. Thus, you can forage for food (or acquire it any other way), eliminating the rations portion of upkeep and leaving her 75 schmuckers cost alone, which is the cost she's quoting. For other units in other circumstances, like Charlescom's Archons, they don't forage and Charlie pays both kinds of costs together as 'upkeep.' Or at least, claims that he does in whatever circumstance that last came up.

She wants both paid; the direct cost of her upkeep (75s.), as well as a regular source of food (unstated value).

Also, cheeseaholic, it doesn't matter how close the capitals are from each other; the casters can travel freely between them at any time via portal park.
twhitt
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby SNfinity » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Dove's upkeep also puts Parson's into perspective; he's presumably lower level than her, and yet his upkeep is more than ten times what hers is. No wonder Stanley keeps threatening to disband him.
I wonder if "you get what you pay for" is Natural Predictamancy...?
SNfinity

Postby cheeseaholic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:07 pm

twhitt wrote:Also, cheeseaholic, it doesn't matter how close the capitals are from each other; the casters can travel freely between them at any time via portal park.

Isn't that not allowed by MK rules?
cheeseaholic

Postby TurtlesAWD » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:18 pm

cheeseaholic wrote:
twhitt wrote:Also, cheeseaholic, it doesn't matter how close the capitals are from each other; the casters can travel freely between them at any time via portal park.

Isn't that not allowed by MK rules?

The whole thing with Parson was that he was doing it off turn with a side he was at war with, as I recall (as well as being a chief warlord as opposed to just a caster and just generally being Parson). I can't personally remember it being said or implied that casters, in general, couldn't travel between side capitals through the magic kingdom. Digdoug even indicated that when he was being traded they could have done it in the magic kingdom, but chose to do it at sea for reasons of secrecy so it seems to me that travel from one side to another is allowed, assuming other factors like whose turn it is, and agreements and alliances account for it.
TurtlesAWD

Postby cheeseaholic » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:26 pm

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -11-13.jpg

"You don't send a caster from the Magic Kingdom to enter a city you don't control!"

So presumably the casters turn in the MK then go through their new home portal when trades are done there.
cheeseaholic

Next

Return to Reactions