Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 10

Postby balder » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:30 am

New one is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 10

Postby My2Cents » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:32 am

Alright then.
It really seems like Charlie, Dove, and the Predictamancer set this whole thing up from the start.

On the other hand, maybe Charlie enjoys jobs like this because it's a chance to mess with fate.
My2Cents

Postby wih » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:06 am

My2Cents wrote:On the other hand, maybe Charlie enjoys jobs like this because it's a chance to mess with fate.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. What would be better than to be paid to do something you love?
wih

Postby BCCroaker » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:25 am

Charlie likes to get paid by both sides - is he really going to try and take the city though? Also, another male ruler turned into a mooncalf by a manipulating female caster? I hope he's faking it to play her.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Morni » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:38 am

Air mercenary force? Jillian?
Morni

Postby Lilwik » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:39 am

My2Cents wrote:It really seems like Charlie, Dove, and the Predictamancer set this whole thing up from the start.
It seems unfair to blame the Predictamancer. The fact that the political situation forced Posbrake to hide the expense of hiring the Predictamancer is hardly the Predictamancer's fault. So far there's no reason to believe that the Predictamancer did anything other than a perfectly honest job.

The real question is what is Charlie going to do. He sticks to his deals and he's probably not going to cheat Homekey directly, since providing good service encourages repeat customers, but we also know that Charlie will be looking for any way he can find to create problems for Homekey so that they will have reason to hire him again.

One issue that I notice is that it's not going to be a fake battle. Thanks to the presence of Delkey units, there will be real shooting and croaking on both sides. Not even Homekey units can be ordered to take cover and wait. That would give away the game. Paying shmuckers to a mercenary to kill your own people is straight-forward murder. And we still don't know that there is no real enemy coming for Homekey.

Maybe this was all set up by Delkey. Maybe they saw Posbrake's advertisement to hire a Predictamancer and they decided that they had had enough of Homekey and its endless good fortune. Maybe Delkey hired Dove to make sure things start going wrong for Homekey. Delkey might have considered it a fitting retaliation, since Homekey was the one that started hiring forbidden casters. Dove manipulates Fate to ensure that the Predictamancer cannot fail to see the attack that Delkey is planning, but leaves the identity of the attacking side fuzzy. More Carnymancy ensures that Digdoug "accidentally" runs into her in the Magic Kingdom. Digdoug can't figure out what rule Dove is breaking to prevent Delkey from noticing the expenses because Dove isn't using Carnymancy or any magic at all; Delkey is just playing along. Now Homekey is hiring Charlie to soften themselves up just before Delkey really attacks. Its units on the inside will tear the city apart as Delkey's air force rains death from above. Maybe.
Lilwik

Postby NYbear » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:12 am

BCCroaker wrote: Also, another male ruler turned into a mooncalf by a manipulating female caster? I hope he's faking it to play her.

I hope its something else, if its another case of a man being made witless by the charms of a woman...tiresome. Like seriously wtf.

Much rather have it be some secret strategy they are planning out that they are keeping everyone else out of the loop so far.
NYbear

Postby Omnimancer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:00 am

Lilwik wrote:
My2Cents wrote:The real question is what is Charlie going to do. He sticks to his deals and he's probably not going to cheat Homekey directly, since providing good service encourages repeat customers, but we also know that Charlie will be looking for any way he can find to create problems for Homekey so that they will have reason to hire him again.

Yeah, I doubt even carnymancers openly cross their clients. They're not thieves, they're swindlers. It's like when you play a shell game. The game master doesn't just grab your money and run away, he pretends to give you a fair chance.

Of course, there's always the possibility that Dove is honestly doing her best to help them, even if she's trying to extract every penny possible in the process.
Omnimancer
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby No one in particular » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 am

Charlie's pulling the strings...

I'm sure he's got some pressure he's exerting on Dove.

There will be a clause in the contract that says if the Archons really are croaked, Charlie can break & raze the city.

Charlie may also be exerting some gentle nudging on the new Chief Warlord, to get him edgy, to make him break the contract.

And no matter what, Charlie will have Dove under his thumb forever after, with blackmail about her involvement in this fiasco. A word or two slips out about her getting a side to kill itself and her name won't be worth spit.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby cheeseaholic » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:00 am

I hope that boosting the tower/hiring more archers doesn't break any kind of agreement with Charlie.

Or tip off that the attack was a fake.
cheeseaholic

Postby badninja » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:55 am

I have been sitting back and letting these updates pass quietly but seriously Charlie is a major player but given how this story is going I feel that he has nothing to do with it, he is going to take advantage of it. What has happened here is that the original side tried to set up this side to fail and it has not gone that way. The home side is now employing cheep and underhanded tats to make their point and it has been failing. Charlie had this fall into his lap and he had to do nothing, but sit and watch. I want to see how this is going to end as I see both sides the parent and child are going to fall. Digdoug is telling the truth about the carny but I think that in the end both she and him are screwed.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Free Radical » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:16 pm

My2Cents wrote:It really seems like Charlie, Dove, and the Predictamancer set this whole thing up from the start.

With Charlie's involvement revealed fully, I've just realised that we don't have any definite way of knowing it was even a Predictamancer who offered the Prediction in the first place, beyond the fact that they offered a Prediction that has turned out right. Posbrake might have done enough to ensure it was actually a Predictamancer with their contract, but he might not have as well, if the contract only specfied that he be "provided with Predictions" or some such.

It wouldn't be beyond Charlie to pay a Predictamancer for a few Predictions about Homekey. It would then be trivial to have a Carnymancer pretend to be a Predictamancer answering the advertisement, armed with an actual Prediction about the battle at Weatherbug to convince Posbrake to trust the later, more dangerous-sounding Prediction at the capital, and to take action to prevent that Prediction that could be manipulated by him.

Posbrake knew to ask for a Carnymancer to break a Prediction. I wonder if the hired Predictamancer mentioned something that set him to thinking of that?
Free Radical

Postby Godzfirefly » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:35 pm

My2Cents wrote:Alright then.
It really seems like Charlie, Dove, and the Predictamancer set this whole thing up from the start.

I don't think that's clear at all. Charlie may not have even been directly aware of Homekey until contacted by them. And, Dove can still be completely helping.

I think that, based on the direction of the story, it is likely that Dove is in fact trying to help Homekey, but the reaction of the warlord to the use of Carnymancy is going to cause the plan to go sideways. It is not often a good idea for a Chief Warlord to act counter to his ruler's orders, especially in such a delicate situation. Any number of things can go wrong.
Godzfirefly

Postby 0beron » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:45 pm

This might actually be how Dove first gets in league with Charlie in the first place, if she's not already. Though I suppose the fact that she's taking comission from the referral means she has probably worked with him before, so perhaps this is nothing new.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Mrtyuh » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:07 pm

I doubt the Predictamancer was in league with Dove and Charlie. While the Prediction concerning Weatherbug was for an imminent attack, the one about Homekey was open ended. If King Posbrake had not chosen to hire Dove, the attack may not have occurred for a hundred turns. While it may seem like too much of a coincidence that the first caster Digdoug ran into was a Carny, I find it likely that Carnies that are desperate for upkeep may loiter around Portal Park, looking for marks to make a few quick schmukers, even if it is only be introducing them to others.

It does seem obvious, though, that Dove and Charlie already have some sort of working relationship at this point, since she made the introductions between Homekey and Charlescomm. Also, Charlie is willing to lose of archons. There is a standard clause calling for reimbursement for archons that are croaked. For an extra charge, that clause can be waived. Homekey is not a wealthy side. If they are too successful in repelling Charlie's attack, it may end up being very expensive for them. I think Posbrake is going to be hoisted by his own petard. As his brother mentioned, he is very fond of honoring the letter of his agreements while violating the spirit. Charlie is a master of this. While Charlie wouldn't do something as flagrant as working for Delkey or Numloch while under contract for Homekey, or failing to honor the terms of the contract. He may, however, fail to mention that his archons detected a large air force massing in striking distance of Homekey, since he wasn't paid to provide reconnaissance, at least not initially. If Homekey uses all of their tower defenses on the fake attack, they'd be in bad shape to repel the real one. Of course, Charlie's archons will be close by, and able to help, for the right price. Charlie wants the same thing Dove wants, to get every schmucker he can from his clients. While this may not end badly for Homekey, now that Charlie's involved, it won't end well, either. The only thing we know for sure is that, by the time of the main comic, Dove is still a barbarian in the Magic Kingdom. So, whatever happens, she won't be joining Homekey.

As for how Dove is cooking the books, the rule she is breaking may be as simple as "Only factual information may be entered into the ledger." Delkey already has a record of Homekey's expenses and income, so she can't be fudging the actual numbers, but she may be changing a line item such as "Hire a Predictamancer" to one or more items which are less objectionable, such as "Hired a Dollamancer to produce new raiment for the King". I think the explanation of Carnymancy that Dove gave was a much for the fans as the characters, and until such time as it is revealed otherwise, I think it best to work under that assumption.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Goshen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:19 pm

Omnimancer wrote:Of course, there's always the possibility that Dove is honestly doing her best to help them, even if she's trying to extract every penny possible in the process.

I think that's most likely. Repeat business is great, and that requires a live client.

It seems to me that once you start cooking the books, it's very hard to stop. It's certainly that way in real life. By helping them, she can create debts for her client that only she can control.
Goshen

Postby asparagus » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:26 pm

What clues do we have about timing? Since Charlie is involved we know it is after he left Haffaton. It could conceivably be after the fall of Spacerock though that seems unlikely. Anything else?
asparagus

Postby (name here) » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Charlie is obviously up to something. He's breathing.

That said, there's a reason he keeps getting hired. He's not going to do anything as flagrant as outright conquering the city. I don't think he's ever broken an actual contract.
(name here)

Postby Biostar » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:53 pm

BCCroaker wrote:Also, another male ruler turned into a mooncalf by a manipulating female caster? I hope he's faking it to play her.

You talking about Stanley or Banhammer? They were both "mooncalves" before they ran into them.
Biostar
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:55 pm

I expect a plot twist to undermine the obvious, here. I don't think Rob would be that repetitive.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Next

Return to Reactions