Summer Updates - 048

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Summer Updates - 048

Postby noxharrington » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:27 pm

BlandCorporation has been throwing a lotta Charlie-hate around in this thread, so let me just throw out some love. He's awesome, and I think we have every reason to expect 'he' will be the big linchpin in Book II.

I don't know why he wants more and more Archons so badly (though I suspect he may be made of Archons. Just a guess) but it makes perfect sense to me why he resents Parson's success. The idea of ANY kind of 'mandate' - whether royal, Tool-based, whatever - that leads to a unified Erfworld force is terrible for business. The more small conflicts the better. One huge battle might make Charlie a lot of money at first, but where's the potential for the future? That corollary: problems = S(c)hmuckers.

Also, he has an inside knowledge of Tool use, so his skepticism makes sense. If he doesn't feel compelled to work towards the same goals as the other Arkentool users, then what IS the mandate, exactly?
noxharrington

Postby raphfrk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:28 pm

BoopingCynic wrote:As For the Wanda becomes a Lich it would be possible to do it if she set the spell on herself beforehand. This would give her her own decrypted bonus and make her more powerful. I honestly love this idea :D.

Assuming it is possible, I wonder if it would affect her personality. She might switch loyalty from Fate to herself, as she would share the decrypted viewpoint that she is goddess-like.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby noxharrington » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:31 pm

BoopingCynic wrote:As For the Wanda becomes a Lich it would be possible to do it if she set the spell on herself beforehand. This would give her her own decrypted bonus and make her more powerful. I honestly love this idea :D.

Much as I love a good Lich story, I think it's unlikely - just because OOTS has it covered.
On the other hand, will Wanda get totally corrupted by death magic and her compulsive need to control others? Oh, f'sho.
noxharrington

Postby Sonic Screwdriver » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm happy for Parson, actually getting toilet paper after such a long time without.

I'm fairly certain that Parson used this conversation to get Charlie thinking his side has slowed down because of diminishing returns in shmucker production, and getting him upset only increases the chances of him delivering this bit of information to the rest of the Coalition. The question is: what tactic do you take when you find out your enemy can't afford to increase their numbers any more, even through conquest? Another bit is that Parson now has good reason to suspect a massive strike against either the Stanley or Wanda, and likely Wanda due to her comparative vulnerability and control of the decrypted. That too needs to be factored.

I'm curious as to whether Stanley has the ability/option to produce flying mounts that move at least as fast as high speed dwagons (if not faster), but have drastically less combat ability. It would be easier on the relay system if they have such an option, so as to dedicate the dwagons towards offense/defense.

Here's another contemplation. Where's Sizemore? He was with Maggie for that picnic 'arc', but we haven't seen him since. I miss the turd-mage, and would like to see him in the spotlight more, since it's obvious he spends quite a bit of time with Parson; as part of his routine is night time conversations about magic.
Sonic Screwdriver
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Hermod » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Lot of interesting speculation today. But rather than what Parson means by diminishing Smuckers or what Ansom is up to I'm more curious about what the boop Wanda is up to. Much like Charlie she's a mostly blank slate for a personality, sure we know how she came to Gobwin Knob and why, but there are so many questions. Like why the boop does she want an Arkentool? Yes, yes, artifact of immense power, but that's not a reason or more exactly, not the motivating factor. And this recent update along with the Queen Bea update has bothered me greatly. What the boop is Wanda doing? Does she really care/buy this new Titanic mandate?

But if there's anything we know about Wanda is that she's the female equivalent of Stanley. She proud, stupid and responsible for most of the major boop ups on Gobwin Knobs part. So I'm starting to wonder if she has no plan, if she literally just wanted the pliers because she was destined to get them and figured things would work themselves out. That she started decrypting and at first was please with her devoted undying zombie slaves... only to discover they're not slaves. The decrypted seem very loyal to Wanda, they worship her as a Titan, they expect a Titan from her. What would happen if she didn't deliver? What would the decrypted do? I'm starting to suspect that she is losing control as the decrypted start expecting a conversion of Erfworld. That Ansom and others are starting to run the show on the ground.
Hermod

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:41 pm

noxharrington wrote:BlandCorporation has been throwing a lotta Charlie-hate around in this thread, so let me just throw out some love.

So you won't drink my Kool-Aid? Ohwell, more for me.

noxharrington wrote:Also, he has an inside knowledge of Tool use, so his skepticism makes sense. If he doesn't feel compelled to work towards the same goals as the other Arkentool users, then what IS the mandate, exactly?

You could argue that it's a power struggle between the Royal status quo and something different. That kind of thing, Charlie has been doing for some time, even if a bit more discreetly. Charlie is not Royal, nonetheless has a side, and plays Royals for fools.

Ansom is just being St. Paul right now trying to get all in the program.

Hermod wrote:But if there's anything we know about Wanda is that she's the female equivalent of Stanley. She proud, stupid and responsible for most of the major boop ups on Gobwin Knobs part.

*gets pop-corn*

This will be fun.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Yosarian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm actually a little disturbed; it seems that Parson is giving away way too much info for free, especally about Ansom's mental state. With what Parson told Charley, Charley may be able to figure out Ansom's next move will be "Jetstone capital strike".
Yosarian

Postby Krennson » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Yosarian wrote:I'm actually a little disturbed; it seems that Parson is giving away way too much info for free, especally about Ansom's mental state. With what Parson told Charley, Charley may be able to figure out Ansom's next move will be "Jetstone capital strike".

rather the opposite..... from what Parson SAID, it sounds like Ansom is trying to convert EVERYONE to Toolism, and has stopped the advance for now to consolidate the front for the next campaign, and attempt diplomacy to see if anyone will come over voluntarily.

Since what Ansom is probably REALLY doing is leading a deep-strike mission towards Jetstone's capital, Parson is providing a plausible excuse for why no-one has seen ansom at the head of any sieges recently.
Krennson

Postby BoopingCynic » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Hermod wrote:Lot of interesting speculation today. But rather than what Parson means by diminishing Smuckers or what Ansom is up to I'm more curious about what the boop Wanda is up to. Much like Charlie she's a mostly blank slate for a personality, sure we know how she came to Gobwin Knob and why, but there are so many questions. Like why the boop does she want an Arkentool? Yes, yes, artifact of immense power, but that's not a reason or more exactly, not the motivating factor. And this recent update along with the Queen Bea update has bothered me greatly. What the boop is Wanda doing? Does she really care/buy this new Titanic mandate?

But if there's anything we know about Wanda is that she's the female equivalent of Stanley. She proud, stupid and responsible for most of the major boop ups on Gobwin Knobs part. So I'm starting to wonder if she has no plan, if she literally just wanted the pliers because she was destined to get them and figured things would work themselves out. That she started decrypting and at first was please with her devoted undying zombie slaves... only to discover they're not slaves. The decrypted seem very loyal to Wanda, they worship her as a Titan, they expect a Titan from her. What would happen if she didn't deliver? What would the decrypted do? I'm starting to suspect that she is losing control as the decrypted start expecting a conversion of Erfworld. That Ansom and others are starting to run the show on the ground.

If she turned into a decrypted with a preset spell she'd be more like them and would be more likely to do things to aid the decrypted. Plus Ansom and the others couldn't run the show because they are so loyal to Wanda and Wanda is loyal to fate and right now fate seems to be with GK. The decrypted don't care what she does just that she's there :mrgreen:.
Here lies a toppled God\
His fall was not a small one\
We did but build his pedestal\
A narrow and a tall one.
~ Tlielaxu Epigram ~
BoopingCynic

Postby noxharrington » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:52 pm

Hermod wrote:But if there's anything we know about Wanda is that she's the female equivalent of Stanley. She proud, stupid and responsible for most of the major boop ups on Gobwin Knobs part.

Sure, we can all agree with that.
noxharrington

Postby Gez » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:54 pm

The ideal army to fight Wanda's decrypted is an army of uncroaked. Can they be decrypted? I doubt it. And even if they could, they'd still be just like before: decaying and stupid. So they'd allow to permanently kill decrypted units without letting Wanda make more after the victory. Perfect harassment strike teams.
Gez

Postby SteveMB » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Gez wrote:The ideal army to fight Wanda's decrypted is an army of uncroaked. Can they be decrypted? I doubt it.

Probably not -- if "merely" burning a body prevents decryption (Bogroll), surely dusting an uncroaked ought to suffice....
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Roketter » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:08 pm

Problem is, Uncroaked bonuses are tiny, and more like, you know, penalties, and decrypted keep their original stats and get huge bonuses on Ansom/Wanda's hex.

I think the reason we haven't seen much about Wanda or Sizemore and some other characters is their point of view will be revealed on the first pages of the new book. Specially Wanda, the authors kept extra-care to keep her out of view.
Roketter

Postby Jadespider » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:22 pm

I've been a longtime fan of Erfworld, way back in the days of the giantitp. Mostly I've just read and enjoyed. This comic has a strong position as the 2nd smartest comic I enjoy. (don't worry about number 1).

But the one thing I've never done is register an account or gab or commune much about erfworld. Until now.

Summer update 048 has compelled me to finally do so. And I registered for one very specific reason....to do this....

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome.
Jadespider

Postby Darkside007 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:31 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:LordDarksea, rest assured, that's an original take on the Parson/Charlie duel in this update.

Ishma3l wrote:Second: I may be the only one, but does anyone else think Charlie might be a girl, from the same world as Parson, and created the Male Charlie Persona as a veil? What if she was summoned in a similar fashion, found the Arken Dish, brainwashed her boss into declaring her heir, had the boss take long walk off a short balcony, and is now living a life of leisure with a fleet and an in-joke?

Boop no. Charlie is a Unicorn.

Charlie is Sparklelord!
Darkside007

Postby Megaduck » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Darkside007 wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:LordDarksea, rest assured, that's an original take on the Parson/Charlie duel in this update.

Ishma3l wrote:Second: I may be the only one, but does anyone else think Charlie might be a girl, from the same world as Parson, and created the Male Charlie Persona as a veil? What if she was summoned in a similar fashion, found the Arken Dish, brainwashed her boss into declaring her heir, had the boss take long walk off a short balcony, and is now living a life of leisure with a fleet and an in-joke?

Boop no. Charlie is a Unicorn.

Charlie is Sparklelord!

He sparkles in the sunlight?
Megaduck

Postby mea culpa » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:38 pm

noxharrington wrote:I don't know why he wants more and more Archons so badly

That could be as easy as wanting to rule the whole of Erfworld.

This way
a) he knows about everything around
b) is potentially invaluable for all sides so none will attack him
c) he makes money (forgot the right word; smuckers?) with other sides warring and thus them getting weaker
d) he can grow and grow unit-wise withone anyone caring.

Surely, an expensive upkeep with only a very small kingdom, but he earns more than enough with all the mercenary work.
mea culpa

Postby Gez » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Roketter wrote:Problem is, Uncroaked bonuses are tiny, and more like, you know, penalties, and decrypted keep their original stats and get huge bonuses on Ansom/Wanda's hex.

True. But the largest problem of the Uncroaked isn't that they're effectively super-soldiers thanks to big bonuses. It's that whenever they win (which they often do, because of said big bonuses), they regain more troops than they lost. There aren't many units that can't be decrypted. Send uncroaked on suicide mission to harass the decrypted army and dust as many of them as possible, and you inflict permanent losses that will not be compensated for.

Megaduck wrote:He sparkles in the sunlight?

http://drmcninja.com/
Last edited by Gez on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Postby goofjuice » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:44 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Boop no. Charlie is a Unicorn.

That would fit into the theory he is from another dimension, hopefully those other unicorns didn't follow him.
goofjuice

Postby raphfrk » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Roketter wrote:Problem is, Uncroaked bonuses are tiny, and more like, you know, penalties, and decrypted keep their original stats and get huge bonuses on Ansom/Wanda's hex.

Also, it is likely that uncroaked take a big penalty when fighting against the wielder of the Arkenpliers. This acts as an offset against the advantage that you don't need to worry about her ending up with an even more powerful army after fighting her.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions