Digdoug - Episode 13

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 13

Postby Xarx » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Allsardane wrote: I just still don't trust her and 300000 schmuckers is a lot of money if you can rig the game to favor the dealer.

Unless Dove is level 300 (haha) she doesn't have room for that reward in her purse.

ETA: She might demand it in gems, but that's highly unlikely to be feasible unless Numloch also has a moneymancer.
Last edited by Xarx on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xarx

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:57 pm

fjolnir wrote:She cooked the books to hide the predictamancer rental...

And she continues to cook the books now.
Digdoug 10 wrote:“That’s right,” Bucky spoke up. “She also now casts on the financial reports that we send to Delkey by hat. The ones that lie about what we pay her.”
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Allsardane wrote:
Allsardane wrote:
Dove lets the tiny air force get killed by the archons, pushes the king off the roof, and walks away since there is now nobody left in the hex that can kill her (barring the Archons). Maybe Dove expected the castle trap to count as a grounded attack since it came from a building but it's emanating from a storm allows it to technically still be a flying attack and our heroic dirtomancer kills her?

I'm not sure. I just still don't trust her and 300000 schmuckers is a lot of money if you can rig the game to favor the dealer.

Units only disband outside of the city when when the ruler disbands. Everyone in the city freezes and is considered neutral until enemies enter the city. Since there would be enemies in the city at the time of the ruler's death, the rest of the units would not freeze, and while they may be wiped out by Charlie, Dove would not survive such a betrayal.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:32 pm

Xarx wrote:
Allsardane wrote: I just still don't trust her and 300000 schmuckers is a lot of money if you can rig the game to favor the dealer.

Unless Dove is level 300 (haha) she doesn't have room for that reward in her purse.

ETA: She might demand it in gems, but that's highly unlikely to be feasible unless Numloch also has a moneymancer.

Any idea where that is cited in the comic? It sounds reasonable, but I don't ever remember it being mentioned anywhere. I'm sure there is a limit though, otherwise the conversation between Wanda and Stanley about Ansome taking the treasury along with the city wouldn't have happened, because Stanley could have just taken it all with him.

Also, for that kind of schmuckerino, I'm sure she could hire a moneymancer from Magic Kingdom to convert it for a fee. In fact, I'm sure that is the main source of barbarian moneymancer income. That, and, you know, their own magic somehow maybe.

I think the real problem in her trying to cash in on all that money is the potential nature of the bounty. We know that Erfworld has binding contracts and automagical payouts, but we don't know if the stated bounty falls under either of these.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:48 pm

The first thing that came to mind when Digdoug came up with the idea to break a Dirtamancy rule was that he was going to break the rule that said he had to make golems out of rock, dirt, crap, etc. I imagined him making golems out of air instead that could rock those archons like a hurricane.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Knight13 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:18 pm

40 Archons?! Didn't Parson say that 14 Archons could take Gobwin Knob back during Book 1? Doug is right, that is far too strong a force for them to even make a decent show of fighting off. Posbrake is looking less and less smart.
Knight13

Postby Allsardane » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 pm

All the same, a pox on you and your knowledge of canon!

I'm sure I could speculate and hand-wavery this issue into a solution (the lottery does allow for both single-payment and annual disbursements), but this is a very logical rejection of my conspiracy theory. If I'm going to suggest a ruse of this magnitude, though, I'm willing to bet that figuring out how to carry the purse is the least of a Carnymancer's problems. Still, nice find!

Xarx wrote:

Allsardane

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:48 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Any idea where [the Purse limit] is cited in the comic?
IIRC, Jillian may have mentioned it in Book 0 when she figures out how long the Court of First FAQ could survive from their Purses if they went with her original plan to decapitate Haffaton. I seem to remember it being known prior to Book 0 happening, but I'm not sure when that would be, so Jillian is the only possible citation I can think of offhand. Don't know which update that was because a wiki search isn't helping me.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby SNfinity » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:48 pm

Digdoug can't see Dove's level because level isn't one of the stats you can see, as of Parson's Klog #4: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F040a.jpg
SNfinity

Postby Sir. Knowsalot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:51 pm

Also, let's consider Charlie.

He needs to maintain a reputation for not breaking contracts, but nobody but Homekey knows about this deal. This is one of the few times Charlie could break a contract, and never have anyone find out about it.
Sir. Knowsalot

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:53 pm

SNfinity wrote:Digdoug can't see Dove's level because level isn't one of the stats you can see, as of Parson's Klog #4: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F040a.jpg
But as mentioned previously, Jillian knew Olive's level the very first time she sees her, instantly. The two references don't jibe.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby cheeseaholic » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 am

0beron wrote:
SNfinity wrote:Digdoug can't see Dove's level because level isn't one of the stats you can see, as of Parson's Klog #4: http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F040a.jpg
But as mentioned previously, Jillian knew Olive's level the very first time she sees her, instantly. The two references don't jibe.

Parson's seeing stats via magic item. It also lets him see the unit's name, which isn't normal. I'm going to guess that some units can see more information about units than others. Hippimancy has signamancy and datamancy which both seem to revolve around that, and Jillian was a Chief Warlord and an heir, so it might be a special kind of bonus for a Chief Warlord. IIRC Duncan could tell levels too when he was comparing warlords with his datamancy item.
cheeseaholic

Postby Salem » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:31 am

0beron wrote:

Also, would it not be possible that she knew the level based on some derived value. Like a caster gets X hits per level. So that it takes knowledge combined with the sense. In which case that would play in with Doug not being that worldly and not interacting with casters. Though presumably if it was a linear value he would know from his own level, presuming units know their own stats.
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Beeskee » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:33 am

For what little it matters, I really hope he doesn't die.

I guess we'll see if Charlie upholds his contracts even when no one is looking, or when he has something significant to gain.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby memnarch » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:45 am

To quote from that linked page

Parson's Klog Notes wrote:My Stupid Meal came with a toy. It's a pair of paper 3-D goggles. When I wear them I can see what apparently every other warlord and caster can see naturally... unit stats.

Parson is the anomaly who has no stats to see and can't see stats without the magic goggles.
memnarch
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Whispri » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:47 am

MadZuri wrote:Unit stat knowledge may be one of the commander abilities that casters lack. I don't recall ever reading about a caster that intrinsically knew a units stats outside of their discipline. There is no need to assume that she is intentionally obfuscating it.

Wanda was well aware of the levels of enemy Units back in Part One of Book Zero.

Knight13 wrote:40 Archons?! Didn't Parson say that 14 Archons could take Gobwin Knob back during Book 1? Doug is right, that is far too strong a force for them to even make a decent show of fighting off. Posbrake is looking less and less smart.

No, fourteen wasn't enough, so Charlie sent thirty two.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Godzfirefly » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:36 am

People keep talking about Dove stabbing Posbrake or pushing him off a Tower as though she'll be on the Tower with him during the battle even though she's been hidden the entire time otherwise. Why would they assume that?
Godzfirefly

Postby Thydron » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:23 am

0beron wrote:
Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Any idea where [the Purse limit] is cited in the comic?
IIRC, Jillian may have mentioned it in Book 0 when she figures out how long the Court of First FAQ could survive from their Purses if they went with her original plan to decapitate Haffaton. I seem to remember it being known prior to Book 0 happening, but I'm not sure when that would be, so Jillian is the only possible citation I can think of offhand. Don't know which update that was because a wiki search isn't helping me.

I don't think it's cited in the comic itself - it's one of the few pieces of canon info that Rob put directly onto the wiki (check the page history)
Thydron
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:28 am

Thydron wrote:I don't think it's cited in the comic itself - it's one of the few pieces of canon info that Rob put directly onto the wiki (check the page history)
It should be a crime how so much of the wiki is uncited. Those things that Rob Balder puts into the wiki himself above all else should be cited. Otherwise, how will we know that it is really true and isn't just another one of the wiki's errors? If a fact cannot possibly be looked up in the comic, then a citation is the only way we can tell that it's real.
Lilwik

Postby Berserkas » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:57 am

0beron wrote:

Let's not forget Countess Artemis.
The redhead was a Level 6, so a crit was not unlikely.

http://www.erfworld.com/2011/06/book-2- ... dates-051/

First glance at an enemy warlord, and she knows her level. And Artemis is just a regular warlord, not a Chief of any kind.

Edit: Sylvia could see Artemis's level too. Next page :
She looked up and spotted a Level 8 female warlord with a stack of a dozen knights, lurking in a passageway within the garrison walls.

http://www.erfworld.com/2011/06/book-2- ... dates-052/

The level seeing might be a warlord thing. Casters can see stats, but not levels?
Berserkas

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions