Digdoug - Episode 14

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 14

Postby balder » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:33 am

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 14

Postby shamelessmerc » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:54 am

So... what do we think this has all been a long game to get Prince Creen croaked/captured?

... actually, I'm almost sure that has been the plan all along, I just don't know WHOSE plan... Charlie, or the King?
shamelessmerc

Postby Kornaki » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:02 am

shamelessmerc wrote:So... what do we think this has all been a long game to get Prince Creen croaked/captured?

... actually, I'm almost sure that has been the plan all along, I just don't know WHOSE plan... Charlie, or the King?

What I would like to see happen: Posbrake and Charlie secretly agreed to set this whole thing up to get Creen croaked. Charlie gets a ton of money from Numloch (probably), splits it with Homekey and goes on his merry way. Numloch's treasury is drained, since Homekey is doing most of the fighting losing Creen doesn't actually affect the war effort, and Homekey has enough cash to do some interesting new things.

More likely Charlie set this whole thing up on his own.
Kornaki

Postby MadZuri » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:16 am

I wish I knew more about the contract and some details. "plus a thousand each for croaking so much as a stabber of ours" I can't tell if this includes allied units, but I'm thinking no, there would be no penalty for croaking Creen.
MadZuri

Postby Deezee » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:59 am

What I would like to see happen: Posbrake and Charlie secretly agreed to set this whole thing up to get Creen croaked. Charlie gets a ton of money from Numloch (probably), splits it with Homekey and goes on his merry way. Numloch's treasury is drained, since Homekey is doing most of the fighting losing Creen doesn't actually affect the war effort, and Homekey has enough cash to do some interesting new things.

More likely Charlie set this whole thing up on his own.

I'm not saying it's not possible, because it is. But that plan has a lot of moving parts, so Posbrake would only try it if he was a serious risk-taker (which he is) and also petty and fratricidal (which he isn't, as far as we know).

The plan would rely on Peck objecting to the plan and calling for reinforcements from Delkey, which only happened because Hunt croaked in a chance engagement turns ago. It ALSO relies on Delkey deciding to send Prince Creen with their detachment, which seems like it was a surprise to everyone. And all this for very little gain: Posbrake wouldn't actually benefit from croaking Prince Creen except getting rid of a brother than annoys him; remember, all the audits were ordered by their father, not by the Prince himself (not that he objected).

I think we shouldn't rule out the possibility that Prince Creen croaks by accident, or that he discovers Posbrake's tricks and breaks alliance, but it doesn't seem like he's been set up here.
Deezee

Postby victor227 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Prince Creen's also a flying unit! What's more, he's a flying unit that doesn't use ranged attacks.
victor227

Postby Allsardane » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:44 pm

A true conspiracy theorist can find truth in anything.

It looks like my theory that Dove croaks the king by pushing him off the tower will now fail, but not because of contracts or Dove not being able to carry 300,000 schmuckers or true love. No. We just learned that DigDug is carrying a scroll that instantly makes a pit trap. The King's plummet transforms from a splat to a swan dive into a swimming pool.

So let's see. Charlie betrays by trying to croak Creen (but stays within the confines of his contract against King's units). Creen thinks it's all been a ruse (or was in fact rusing himself) and betrays by flying up and trying to croak the King. King then says "haha you fool, no flier can kill me". Dove rips off her hat and says "I am no flier" (scene stolen liberally from LOTR movies) and pushes king off the roof. DigDug creates the swimming pool pit trap. King gets wet. Things get awkward. Not sure where the elephant in the tutu fits in, but I'm sure it'll work out somehow.

I think there is excellent potential for some serious boop hitting the fan because now there are four allied/enemies that all need to kill/silence all of the other sides in order to keep their reputations clean.
Allsardane

Postby badninja » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Well things now got interesting, not that they weren't before.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Godzfirefly » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:34 pm

Allsardane wrote:It looks like my theory that Dove croaks the king by pushing him off the tower will now fail, but not because of contracts or Dove not being able to carry 300,000 schmuckers or true love.

Wait, the fact she won't be present wasn't enough reason she couldn't push him off the tower?
Godzfirefly

Postby Vreejack » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Allsardane wrote:A true conspiracy theorist can find truth in anything.

It looks like my theory that Dove croaks the king by pushing him off the tower will now fail, but not because of contracts or Dove not being able to carry 300,000 schmuckers or true love. No. We just learned that DigDug is carrying a scroll that instantly makes a pit trap. The King's plummet transforms from a splat to a swan dive into a swimming pool.

So let's see. Charlie betrays by trying to croak Creen (but stays within the confines of his contract against King's units). Creen thinks it's all been a ruse (or was in fact rusing himself) and betrays by flying up and trying to croak the King. King then says "haha you fool, no flier can kill me". Dove rips off her hat and says "I am no flier" (scene stolen liberally from LOTR movies) and pushes king off the roof. DigDug creates the swimming pool pit trap. King gets wet. Things get awkward. Not sure where the elephant in the tutu fits in, but I'm sure it'll work out somehow.

I like it. I never thought there were serious impediments to Dove croaking the king other than unforseen circumstances. If it were a rule that barred her success, well, she's a carny after all. Breaking rules is her forte.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
Vreejack

Postby multilis » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:20 pm

Anything is possible... including Charlie getting triple paid (also by Numlock to get rid of Delkey).

Numlock wanting to see the books would allow them to set up a betrayal knowing what Delkey had in defences.
multilis

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:24 pm

I wonder why it can't charge the tower.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:I wonder why it can't charge the tower.

My guess would be that there is a limit to how much Dove can break the rules. Or perhaps in order to break the rule on placement, she also had to break the rule on charging the tower. Kind of a 1 for 1 trade on the benefits vs penalties.

Like, back when Joe (Jo?) saved Sylvia, he broke the rule that said an incapacitated unit croaks, but he also seemingly broke the rule that units automatically heal to full at start of turn.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:11 pm

I'm betting Digdoug could use the scroll to create a trap door to quickly evacuate the King into the tower. Such a trap would likely send him directly to the room where Dove will be hiding though.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:

My guess would be that there is a limit to how much Dove can break the rules. Or perhaps in order to break the rule on placement, she also had to break the rule on charging the tower. Kind of a 1 for 1 trade on the benefits vs penalties.

Like, back when Joe (Jo?) saved Sylvia, he broke the rule that said an incapacitated unit croaks, but he also seemingly broke the rule that units automatically heal to full at start of turn.

Come to think of it, the reason might be that Dove didn't actually make the trap work. It isn't actually grabbing any lightning, and so it can't charge the tower. It would be a clever thing to claim that the spell she casts will prevent the trap from charging the tower, then just not cast a spell that'll do what Digdoug wants at all and he has no way to prove it works before it is too late.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby victor227 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:45 pm

I kind of doubt that Dove is backstabbing here. If Posbrake croaks, doesn't she lose her portal back to the Magic Kingdom? That would make her a witness to Charlie's actions, and entirely dependent on him for extraction. In the backstabbing business, that makes you a schmuck.

Also, on a sidenote, doesn't the history of sides fallen sometimes make its way across the world? It may not be in the most descriptive of terms, but being wiped out by a contract-violating Charlescomm may be the type of 'numbers and names' details that makes it into history given to other sides.
victor227

Postby Salem » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:

I always got the feeling that the show he put on was the reason she didn't heal. She didn't heal because he put on a show that she didn't need healing. "She's fine universe don't collect her." But as a consequence, "She's fine no need to heal her."
"Too cute to (stay) croak(ed)!"
Salem
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Salem wrote:
Taikei no Yuurei wrote:

I always got the feeling that the show he put on was the reason she didn't heal. She didn't heal because he put on a show that she didn't need healing. "She's fine universe don't collect her." But as a consequence, "She's fine no need to heal her."

Yeah, it could be that, but I have a feeling that Carnymancy, like Luckamancy, is a 'zero sum' thing, where you have to give up something to gain something, regardless of the specifics of how that sum balances back out. That isn't to say they're useless of course, but that there is a balancing factor. In fact, that was a theme back with Wanda too, when she was popped.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Arky » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:49 pm

I see two possibilies:

1. Prince Creen goes ballistic when he discovers the ruse or discovers Dove and lashes out. He's a flying unit and seems to stay off the ground all the time, so this could well fulfil the prophecy.

2. The Delkey units are probably not part of the contract, so Charlie's units shoot to kill those (including Creen). Either the Homekey units fail to retaliate (ensuring war between Homekey and Delkey, probably) or they DO retaliate and bankrupt the side and get everyone disbanded, just in time for Numloch to march in and take over.

I kind of like that last possibility, mostly because it would lead to Dove escaping through the portal and creating a great final dilemma for DigDoug as to whether to escape with her (as she would no doubt urge, what a coup to be the one to introduce a new free agent Dirtamancer to the Magic Kingdom!) or go down with his side.
Arky

Postby Liminaut » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:57 pm

I have a bad feeling about this.

Prince Creen takes his archers and croaks a bunch of Archons. The resulting fines bankrupt Homekey and then some. Homekey can't pay Dove any more, she drops her protection spells, the Archons come back the next turn and pick up the 300k reward. End of the side through a massive air attack, in rather indirect ways.
Liminaut

Next

Return to Reactions