Digdoug - Episode 17

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 17

Postby balder » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:27 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 17

Postby victor227 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:35 am

Well... Shoot. No remaining defenses, no air units to escape with. Seems the only thing Posbrake has left to bargain with is himself. I mean, technically he could threaten to throw himself into his portal to the Magic Kingdom and throw Delkey to the wolves against Numloch. Being in a city, Digdoug would still survive to be a pov character if it came to such desperate acts. There's also that little secret tunnel Digdoug made as well, should they have to go all "Jefferies tube" in their own city.
victor227

Postby Danalog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:45 am

Awwwwwww, snap.
Danalog
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Keighvin1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:48 am

I assume Chekov's pit trap scroll will come into play soon, though I'm not sure if it will be used offensively or maybe as an emergency trap door, assuming a water landing might be safer than the ground.
Keighvin1
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 am

I don't like Creen very much. I mean, I never liked him at all, but he's just so arrogant I want to shove that lightsaber up his ass :I
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:55 am

They still have Chekhov's Lightning Trap, and Chekhov's Pit Trap Scroll. The King may also be immune to all those arrows, though Doug and company are not.

Doug uses scroll to remove archers, but Creen can fly so he's immune? Creen tries to fly away and retreat, but Doug activates lightning trap and shoots him down?
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Mrtyuh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 am

I have to give my grudging admiration to Charlie for this one. Why get paid twice for doing a job when you can get paid three times? I must also give my much less grudging admiration to Rob for this update despite his sickness. The second they started talking about Charlie moving a ground force through Delkey territory, I knew that was exactly what they had done, and Prince Creen and his troops were the force in question. Bravo, Rob!
Last edited by Mrtyuh on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Deo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 am

I expect we might see Dove shortly. After all, didn't Digdug make her a hideyhole near the tower?

Would not be surprised if she was observing the battle from there.
Deo

Postby Beeskee » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:08 am

Aaand "if you didn't see that coming, you might not have a brain at all", as that one Penny Arcade comic goes. :D

I wish Charlie wasn't so predictable in this manner. It seems like if he can backstab a client without them surviving to tell anyone, he will.

I guess that makes for an easy trap for him.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:26 am

I just got something.

Hippo-crates. As in Hipocrates. As in the Hippocratic oath. As in "do no harm."

What was this battle all about again?

How did thing become seriously threatening? When the last of the Hippo-crates were destroyed.

Very clever. I'm impressed.
Lipkin

Postby name lips » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:40 am

I'm starting to suspect Dove isn't in league with Charlie. Her spell making the King immune to ranged attacks seems to have been cast in good faith, and Prince Creen (whom we now know for a fact is in league with Charlie) seems completely unaware of it.

So, we have Dove, the Tower Trap, and the Pit Scroll, all of which Creen seems ignorant.

Sadly, this also means that Creen's archers probably weren't doing any real damage to Charlie's archons either. Foolamancy all around.
name lips

Postby zeuspro » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:15 am

So not all sides in an alliance have to agree to new members.

And a sides turn can be defered? Not quite sure that I understand this bit, isnt this basicly the same situation as in book 1 and charlie couldnt move then until next turn.
zeuspro
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Thomar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:23 am

zeuspro wrote:And a sides turn can be defered? Not quite sure that I understand this bit, isnt this basicly the same situation as in book 1 and charlie couldnt move then until next turn.

I think it means they get to keep their remaining move, but they won't be able to use any of it for the rest of this turn.
Thomar

Postby Sir Shadow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:32 am

I'm kind of glad Peck was right, since I like him a lot, but I'm also kinda sad he was.

But hey, there are a lot of variables Prince Creen doesn't know about. At the very least, there's the Lightning trap tower, and hopefully we'll get to see if there really is a anti-ranged attack spell on the King, though that wouldn't protect him from the Prince's rapier.

I think the archers did do a number to the Archons, and even Dig Doug's attacks probably did a smidgen of damage.
Demon Lord Etna wrote:Looks like I have to resort to the politician's golden rule: "If they can't prove it, deny, deny, deny."
Sir Shadow

Location: When you reach the border of hell, turn right. Can't miss me.

Postby Lilwik » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:49 am

Does this mean that Dove was scamming Homekey all along? What were they paying her for, when it seems like her help has only made Homekey more vulnerable? Wasn't it obvious from the beginning that there would probably be a real attack in addition to any fake attacks? Did Dove really not realize this? Does Dove have yet another trick up her sleeve to turn this whole situation around in Homekey's favor, or is she simply working for Charlie?
Lilwik

Postby Mrtyuh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:54 am

Keighvin1 wrote:I assume Chekov's pit trap scroll will come into play soon, though I'm not sure if it will be used offensively or maybe as an emergency trap door, assuming a water landing might be safer than the ground.

My guess is defensively.

Digdoug - Episode 4 wrote:He looked at the ground far below and had a weird, intrusive thought. If he jumped off the tower and began tunneling straight down, how much farther than ground level would he fall before impact? Could a master-class Dirtamancer tunnel fast enough to use all of his juice up first? If he did leap or fall, could he create a water trap or something below him that would deaden his impact and mitigate the fall damage?

Also, based on the conversation between Peck and Digdoug in Episode 14, I believe it is implied that the pit trap cannot be created on top of the tower itself, but it can be created on the ground directly next to the tower. So, it won't be useful to neutralize the Delkey units currently threatening Posbrake's stack, but it could be something they can jump into to get away.

Deo wrote:I expect we might see Dove shortly. After all, didn't Digdug make her a hideyhole near the tower?

Would not be surprised if she was observing the battle from there.

Dove's arrow loop is part of the tower, but at its base. While she was probably observing the battle from there, I doubt she had a very good view.

Beeskee wrote:Aaand "if you didn't see that coming, you might not have a brain at all", as that one Penny Arcade comic goes. :D

I wish Charlie wasn't so predictable in this manner. It seems like if he can backstab a client without them surviving to tell anyone, he will.

I guess that makes for an easy trap for him.

I'm not sure I'd quite qualify this as a backstab. With the exception of the hippo-crates, for which he paid the agreed upon penalty, he fulfilled his part of the contract to the letter. Considering how many fans were speculating that he would blatantly breach it, this turn isn't as obvious as it may seem. He fulfilled his first two contracts, to Numloch and Homekey, and now he is free to take a third. Now, the big question was when did Delkey negotiate their contract with Charlie, and what information did Charlie share with them? If, for example, a Delkey scout had spotted the archons and Delkey had contacted Charlie and if Charlie had stuck to the script and told them he was attempting to collect the bounty Numloch had placed on Posbrake, then I wouldn't consider this a backstab, since that means that Delkey hatched this scheme on their own. Charlie is an unscrupulous but reputable business man; there is no reason for him not to accept Delkey's offer. If, on the other hand, Charlie had shared confidential details of his contract with Homekey and Delkey had built their plan on the back of Posbrake's plan, then that would certainly be a backstab.

name lips wrote:I'm starting to suspect Dove isn't in league with Charlie. Her spell making the King immune to ranged attacks seems to have been cast in good faith, and Prince Creen (whom we now know for a fact is in league with Charlie) seems completely unaware of it.

So, we have Dove, the Tower Trap, and the Pit Scroll, all of which Creen seems ignorant.

Sadly, this also means that Creen's archers probably weren't doing any real damage to Charlie's archons either. Foolamancy all around.

That's the one big mystery still extant in this story, but I suspect you're correct. Still, I suspect that even though Dove has been acting in good faith, she'll receive an undue amount of the blame for what's transpired. When she first appeared, many thought she was the female Carny from Portal Park during Book 2, and many feel that this story predates that one. While it is possible that Dove is a Homekey unit that just happened to be in the Magic Kingdom when Parson arrived, it seems more likely she is still a barbarian caster that resides there. If Posbrake survives Creen's treachery, she'll probably be a persona non grata in Homekey, depriving her of a ruler and a side that truly appreciate her many talents. Of course, I'm basing conjecture on conjecture. That entire house of cards could come tumbling down very easily.

Thomar wrote:
zeuspro wrote:And a sides turn can be defered? Not quite sure that I understand this bit, isnt this basicly the same situation as in book 1 and charlie couldnt move then until next turn.

I think it means they get to keep their remaining move, but they won't be able to use any of it for the rest of this turn.

I think it means the opposite. In Book 1, Charlie ended turn without being allied with the RCC. When he did that, the move of all his units dropped to 0. For that reason, even after he did ally with the Coalition, his units had no move, so they could not move even though it was their turn. In this case, Charlie is allied with Numloch and sharing a turn with them. If Numloch ended their turn, all the archons' move would drop to 0. By allying with Delkey before the turn ended, I believe it will allow them to keep their remaining move when Numloch ends their turn and Delkey starts theirs. This way, they will still be able to move during Delkey's turn, and they will be able to immediately return to the city they just vacated. Unless by "the rest of this turn" you are referring to Numloch's turn, in which case I completely agree. They won't be able to move for the rest of Numloch's turn, but they'll be able to move again when Delkey starts their turn.
Mrtyuh

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:02 am

Looks like the red herring...
*Puts on sunglasses*
Was a red heiring!
YEEEAAAAHH!
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Mrtyuh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:43 am

I also thought of a third possibility regarding the contract between Charlescomm and Delkey. Delkey hired Charlie before the story even started. Charlie simply picked up the two complementary contracts while he was in the neighborhood. Still, I think the key to whether I feel this is a backstab by Charlie would hinge on how much information he shared with Delkey. If he disclosed details of his contract with Homekey to Delkey, I would feel it is treacherous.
Mrtyuh

Postby Knott » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:27 am

Yeah, the difference between sharing private details versus not sharing would make the difference between a totally dick move and outright treachery.
Knott
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby shamelessmerc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:32 am

Mrtyuh wrote:I also thought of a third possibility regarding the contract between Charlescomm and Delkey. Delkey hired Charlie before the story even started.

Yep, that's my thought. Charlie's just like "Doesn't matter, got paid!"

Dang Rob, this is the second time you have got me physically ill with reaction to a unexpected backstab from someone that should know better. I want to see them turn round and obliterate those royalist scum now.
shamelessmerc

Next

Return to Reactions