Digdoug - Episode 17

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 17

Postby Mrtyuh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:08 am

Keighvin1 wrote:I said alliance alot. I'm not sure it's a word anymore.

[Spanish Accent]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.[/Spanish Accent] :D
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby multilis » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:57 am

“Brother,” said Posbrake, “why has our alliance acquired a third side?”

IMO makes sense either way.

Side A makes alliance with side B, then side C.

All three sides are now allies with same turn, don't attack each other.

If Side A breaks alliance with side C, is side B still allied with side C?

Yes and No both fit with above, and not really important as side B and side C which never before made an alliance could easily make one or break one if it mattered later.

Because Posbrake explained plan sounds stupid, imo either he has extra secret plan, or he is likely under influence of carnymancer (weaken one stat/rule).

[Plan to attack self makes little sense because it weakens side in case someone else is still going to attack. But it makes sense if trying to get someone else overconfident and 'break an alliance and pay penalty'. The original prediction might have identified that Creen would betray Posbrake and all this was setup to trap Creen for example, make him pay penalty for breaking alliance, then capture or croak him, and use money from breaking alliance to hire way to defeat mother side.

As far as long time customer goes, Posbrake wanting to hire a Carny, Posbrake not backstabber (if other side backstabs first, not really betrayal), and wanting to 'fight fate' would make him seem a nice choice to survive for Charlie and friends... customers that don't backstab are less risky even for a backstabber.]

It still also makes sense that Posbrake would be legit sad when Creen reveals backstab... means everything is now certain, no hope my brother was better than that. It would be like a parent that heard rumours that son was drug addict and planning to rob parent at gunpoint for cash... once it actually happens it is still heart ache for parent, even if parent has trap set up (gun won't work and police hiding around corner) just in case.

If Creen made contract with Charlie first, then Posbrake secret plan may fulfil obligations... Charlie has already taken out air defenses, and remaining obligation to attack Posbrake if he doesn't comply could easily be handled with "no ranged attacks can hurt me". Creens force is all archers and Creen. So may be only one guy (Creen) verses Posbrake+dirtomancer+Carnymancer+Golem+chief warlord... croak Creen, back everyone else off and archers autoengage king with ranged fire while king picks them off one by one and levels.

Even original predictomancer hiring could have been "will Creen and friends betray me, and if so how?" rather than more generic question. Predictomancer's work best with specific questions.

Creen wanting to see books may have been Creen wanting intel to make sure his betrayal plan would work.
multilis

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:08 pm

IPTSF 19
IPTSF 19 wrote:One of them had to be the first to break alliance with Goodminton
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Godzfirefly » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:10 pm

Shai_hulud wrote:IPTSF 19
IPTSF 19 wrote:One of them had to be the first to break alliance with Goodminton

That is interesting. Also interesting (and forgotten by me) was how Goodminton broke alliance with Frenemy only, and left Quisling alone, in IPTSF 20. It specifically stated that breaking alliance with Frenemy only let Quisling attack Goodminton if they wanted, suggesting that the act of one member of the alliance was enough to break that member away from the whole alliance but didn't have to do so. It kinda suggests that if Delkey breaks alliance with Homekey, it leaves Charlescomm the option of siding with either of the others (or maybe both or neither.) That makes sense to me, though it's still a bit vague on the details for my taste.
Godzfirefly

Postby Lamech » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Xarx wrote:@Lilwik: If weather had never been mentioned in the comic, then your "obvious default conclusion" about it would have merit. But it has been mentioned, numerous times, and it has been made abundantly clear that weather does not work the same way in Erfworld as it does in Stupidworld.

Therefore, all obvious default conclusions about it are invalid.

Lilwik wrote:For all we know, permanent weather hexes may be very rare,

If that were the case, it would be very odd that every single example we've seen of weather in Erfworld was an instance of this "rare" phenomenon.
Again, Goodmitton didn't have perpetual snow around it when Jillian got their. Also I didn't get the impression that when Jill met the archons the it was a perpetual rain hex either.
Lamech

Postby Keighvin1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:36 pm

IPTSF 3 wrote:Most of the surrounding hills were blanketed in snow, which fell in perpetuity from permanent cloud banks, but the city streets were bone dry. A frigid wind was the only weather the capital had to endure.

Jillian didn't mention any snow, but that doesn't mean it wasn't falling in other hexes.
Keighvin1
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Denar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Lamech wrote:
Xarx wrote:@Lilwik: If weather had never been mentioned in the comic, then your "obvious default conclusion" about it would have merit. But it has been mentioned, numerous times, and it has been made abundantly clear that weather does not work the same way in Erfworld as it does in Stupidworld.

Therefore, all obvious default conclusions about it are invalid.

Lilwik wrote:For all we know, permanent weather hexes may be very rare,

If that were the case, it would be very odd that every single example we've seen of weather in Erfworld was an instance of this "rare" phenomenon.
Again, Goodmitton didn't have perpetual snow around it when Jillian got their. Also I didn't get the impression that when Jill met the archons the it was a perpetual rain hex either.

No snow mentioned, but it was freezing cold in the hex still. Specifically it was perpetually cold as well.

A chill wind blew through the courtyard.

Chief-again Jillian took a cursory tour of some of the frigid gray streets and buildings.

Feeling the chill through the tear in her leather jacket, her bad shoulder throbbed.

The room remained completely unchanged. Nothing moved but a few papers rustling in the perpetual cold draft.

plenty more references to how cold it is as well

Here's how I see it. We have to remember that Erfworld mirrors a game in all its little attention to detail.

It's not actually a "snow" hex. It's a... dunno... "cold mountain" hex or something. That's its weather. What weather provides is a very specific set of movement/combat penalties while in the hex, as per the Archon's description.

The snow is just Natural Signamancy of the city, as it comes and goes. Or maybe Natural Dirtamancy, as Wanda was able to make a snowman golem unit out of it. That way it's like a resource, in the same way the rain hex provides Lightning, to the Caster that can harness it.

We don't need perpetual snow (I mean, it's never perpetually snowing while Wanda's still in Goodminton anyway) to continue the claim that weather never changes. Just perpetual cold - which we do have evidence for.

I would disagree with your assessment of the hex Jillian was in when she met the Archons. This is what she had to say:

They’d been lucky enough to find a stormy hex...

“The Charlescomm All-Weather Rain-ment Poncho is the perfect gear for displaying your side’s livery, even in extreme weather hexes.

Notice how they're for "in extreme weather hexes", and not "hexes experiencing extreme weather" or along those lines. Same with it being a "stormy hex".
Denar

Postby The_Rats » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:53 pm

you know, not everyone in Erfworld is smart, he might be a king, but that don't mean he's a Parson, Charle has been successful so far in bending over pretty much anyone he needed just to make a shmuck. Not every story had a happy ending
The_Rats
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Mrtyuh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:17 pm

I was going to stay out of the weather debate, but since nobody else has mentioned this, I'll just throw this into the ring:

Digdoug - Episode 1 wrote:...because Dirtamancers could fashion traps from terrain features.

And a permanent storm? That was a terrain feature.

I'll just slink away quietly now.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh

Postby Xarx » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:36 am

Lamech wrote:Again, Goodmitton didn't have perpetual snow around it when Jillian got their.

Again, yes it did. What do you think the white stuff on the mountaintops is?

As I said in one of my earlier posts, it's true that the Jillian updates don't say a lot about snow, but why should they? She's flying over it, not slogging through it.

Wanda says that most of the surrounding hexes are under perpetual snow. Not all, so presumably when Jillian lands to sleep she chooses a non-snow hex. Wouldn't you?

And once again, to be clear: There is not and never has been snow in Goodminton itself. Jillian's "perpetual cold wind" is 100% consistent with Wanda's "frigid wind" being the "only weather the capital had to endure."
Xarx

Previous

Return to Reactions