Digdoug - Episode 17

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 17

Postby Omnimancer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:34 am

Mrtyuh wrote:I also thought of a third possibility regarding the contract between Charlescomm and Delkey. Delkey hired Charlie before the story even started. Charlie simply picked up the two complementary contracts while he was in the neighborhood. Still, I think the key to whether I feel this is a backstab by Charlie would hinge on how much information he shared with Delkey. If he disclosed details of his contract with Homekey to Delkey, I would feel it is treacherous.

I think it's similar to when Charlie contacted Parson, offering to stay out of the fight against Stanley in exchange for mathamancy predictions. Charlie made a deal, saw an opportunity to screw his client by making a second deal, and took it.

So I'm guessing Delkey wasn't behind this at all. Instead Charlie probably reached out to them after the contact with Homekey was finalized. Charlie absolutely did backstab Homekey. He just did it without breaking the contract.
Omnimancer
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby zeuspro » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:41 am

The thing is we know the predictamancer they hired made several predictions. Posbreak may already know that his brother would turn on him "at some point in the future" and have taken appropriate action to prepare that we just dont know about.
zeuspro
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby spriteless » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:07 am

I think Digdoug was right about Creen and Posbrake having a special understanding of each other, being brothers. Creen made a threat, or the meerest suggestion that a threat was possible. He admints breaking the rules of morality was something he might be willing to do occasionally just as long as he can keep up appearances most of the time; he's so tradition bound that any sin comes as a surprise. That and the alliance gained a third member at the same time.

Attack by heir all along. I wonder if Creen knew Posbrake well enough to figure that if he pressed the heir issue Posbrake would refuse it all the harder. HOW LONG HAVE THEY BEEN PLANNING THIS?
T'was a splendidly speedy defection.
spriteless

Postby joosy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:14 am

I think Delkey has been plotting against Homekey for some time now if for no other reason than to undermine Posbrake and force him to admit that his ways are wrong. Delkey loathes DigDoug because he is largely responsible for Posbrake's success. They try to leak info to the enemy so that they can take out DigDoug at Weatherbug but fail thanks to the Predictamancer. Delkey senses something is up, notices that it coincides with the a change in Homekey's financial reports and sends Creen and their Moneymancer to figure out whats up. Being thwarted there they decide that they have no option (other than to admit they were wrong) but to simply eliminate Posbrake and reabsorb Homekey. They contact Charlie (or Charlie contacts them) and they work up this latest scheme playing out before us.

I wonder what the actual Prediction regarding the attack was? I hope it didn't say that the side would fall or that Posbrake would croak.
joosy

Postby Deo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:19 am

I have a thought.

What if Dove was indeed in league with Charlie but went off-script with the spell on the King?

If Charlie figured that those archers would indeed have been asked for, she might have known about it and if she has developed feelings for the King then she might actually be attempting to rig the game in favor of his survival by casting the spell and omitting information given to Charlie, such as the lightning trap. Of course, I would not expect it to end well, Charlie would not like word of this sort of thing getting out.
Deo
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Deezee » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:19 am

What makes this comic cool is we all knew Charlie's modus operandi and still got caught off guard. We all thought he'd find a way around his contract to screw over Posbrake, either using Carnymancy to avoid it or just sucking up the penalty and making back his losses somewhere. Some of us (myself included) did predict the Delkey backstab, but I didn't expect him to be in league with Charlie; I thought it would be a total Gambit Pileup.
Instead, he keeps his word almost entirely, taking the penalty only for croaking a few hippocrates and lingering until all the air defenses were drained so that Homekey had no air defenses, while double dealing with Delkey so they could take advantage of the drained defenses.

However, neither Delkey nor Charlie know about Digdoug's traps, and they appear not to know about Dove either (making her genuine), so they might play a key role in ensuring Homekey's survival (IF Homekey survives, which is very much not certain).

And here was I starting to worry that they're might not be a twist at all, and it would just end with a warm and fuzzy conclusion about Prince Screen overcoming his bigotry.
Deezee

Postby Kizmet » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:23 am

Attack by heir. Predictamancy... with a touch of carney for the pun?
Kizmet

Postby Xarx » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:35 am

Moral of the story: Don't try to get cute with Fate. If a massive air attack is predicted, prepare for a massive air attack. Period.
Xarx

Postby technojunkie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 am

Well I missed the charlie+delkey connection, but my rube of the year statement seems to be otherwise spot on.

I hope the rube survives this and becomes wiser for this experience. (And I sooo wanna see creen and delkey bite it now.) These royalist snobs are really cheesing me off...
technojunkie
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Gathrun » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 am

And that's why they were pushing for an heir to be popped. But how now to have someone else take over a side without destroying it?

Or is this the end of the story, the main point of it having been played out?
Last edited by Gathrun on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gathrun

Postby BrotherRool » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:08 am

If we find out when Delkey made this deal with Charlie that should answer for some big questions? If it was after the contract for a show (possibly from Charlie contacting Delkey) then we have a chain of events leading to a prophecy been fulfilled directly caused by the creation of the prediction. If it was before Homekey's contract then it's case of can't play tricks with fate.

If this was all planned out, then Dove is probably working for Charlie too. Delkey hired him to sort out their problem, he created a chain of events where Dove could 'guide' Homekey into giving him an opening. I doubt they would have just been hanging round waiting for something as weird as this to come along... but then the knowledge about the prediction would have to have leaked out somehow.
BrotherRool

Postby Denar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:38 am

Pretty fitting that Creen has a red lightsabre.

I wonder why he ordered the archery attack on the Archons? He must want all the assistance from Charliescomm he can get for his turn, and pissing off Charlie by attacking his Archons doesn't really strike me as the best way of going about it...
Denar

Postby (name here) » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:45 am

Well, I predicted that Charlie would keep the contract and find a way to screw over Homekey anyway. Looks like I was right.

Deo wrote:I have a thought.

What if Dove was indeed in league with Charlie but went off-script with the spell on the King?

If Charlie figured that those archers would indeed have been asked for, she might have known about it and if she has developed feelings for the King then she might actually be attempting to rig the game in favor of his survival by casting the spell and omitting information given to Charlie, such as the lightning trap. Of course, I would not expect it to end well, Charlie would not like word of this sort of thing getting out.

Alternately, Dove is in league with Charlie and the anti-archery spell is part of a ploy to get paid four times.
(name here)

Postby twhitt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 am

Denar wrote:I wonder why he ordered the archery attack on the Archons? He must want all the assistance from Charliescomm he can get for his turn, and pissing off Charlie by attacking his Archons doesn't really strike me as the best way of going about it...
I'm guessing that Creen believed that things had gone off-plan as of update 16. He did believe a real attack was underway, and he knew that he was not yet allied with Charlescomm. After a lot of confusion and a good amount of time, he started to act to save himself from death, by genuinely defending the city. Only after the Archons evacuated was it obvious that his plan was still in effect.
twhitt

Postby Keldaria » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:41 pm

A few random thoughts..

1: I thought it was impossible to drop alliance and attack that side in the same turn, meaning that unless their alliance agreement allowed specifically for them to attack units of the alliance under certain conditions then it "Should" be impossible to force a transfer in power with anything other than the threat of a battle next turn. So DigDoug being low on spells sucks but will be refreshed next turn I imagine. Of course there is a carneymancer in the hex so that rule might be able to be broken..

2: They dropped the last 2 flying units that could transport things (I assume they were the last 2). If I had to guess I'd say that was done to prevent escape options from the battle next turn.

3: The majority of the air defenses and all of digdougs spells might be gone but the arcons used a lot of foolamancy too.. I'd wager that they were low on resources too, they could still cause damage were combat to resume this turn but if they weren't able to seize the garrison before then I don't see it happening now.

4: Charlescomm is just looking for the biggest payout, and charlie isn't above doing things for free or future money if it means more customers down the road.. breaking up alliances in this case is likely much more beneficial to his ends. So, I'd expect a conversation between Charlie and Postbrake at some point during the turn on flipping the tables

5: King Postbrake was a former Chief Warlord and Prince of the otherside.. I'd be willing to bet that if you gave him a sword he'd easily be able to route the Prince if not murder him. My money is still on postbreak if they can keep charlie in check.

6: A transfer in power, I'm not exactly sure how they could swing that to be honest, so far the only reference we have on that is Jillians backstory about banhammer preping to transfer power under another existing empire.. Any theories on how he plans to accomplish that? By Diplomatic agreement purhaps, or does the prince intend to seize the garrison and found a side then force postbreak the transfer?
Keldaria

Postby bladestorm » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:43 pm

We don't have the exact wording of the prophesy, so it may still be intact, regardless of the ruse.

"The Capitol will suffer a large air attack, and the Side will fall." Large air attack, check. Side falls to Creen's treachery, check. Prophecy still intact.

"The king will fall after a large air attack."

"The Side will cease after a conflict with a large army and a battle with a large number of flying units".
bladestorm

Postby Whispri » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:48 pm

I hope Wanda gets to use a lightsabre at some point...

Well now, worst case scenario, everything has proceded as Creen has forseen. Best case, Dove was on the level and Delkey would have been expecting the Archons to be shooting to kill...

It was awfully convienient that Digdoug bumped into Dove when he did... that scroll is the only edge we can be certain they have. Still, if Posbrake really is immune to ranged attacks, if the lightning trap is real, if Delkey really do think the golems are in a worse shape then they actually are...

The big question is who's first in the turn order, Homeky or Delkey?

Denar wrote:I wonder why he ordered the archery attack on the Archons? He must want all the assistance from Charliescomm he can get for his turn, and pissing off Charlie by attacking his Archons doesn't really strike me as the best way of going about it...

I'd imagine he was doing much the same thing Digdoug was: Putting on a show for the benefit of his 'allies'. He needed an excuse to bring his archers within range of the King, how else would he fulfill his lifelong ambition of shouting 'checkmate!'? No Archons were harmed in the making of this backstab.

Xarx wrote:Moral of the story: Don't try to get cute with Fate. If a massive air attack is predicted, prepare for a massive air attack. Period.

Yeah, they had the right idea when they were just strengthening their defences. Moral two: Do not to be too trusting of allies who are openly losing patience with you. Especially if you've been less then honest with them about your own dealings.

zeuspro wrote:The thing is we know the predictamancer they hired made several predictions. Posbreak may already know that his brother would turn on him "at some point in the future" and have taken appropriate action to prepare that we just dont know about.

What makes you think the Predictamancer wasn't in on it too? The method used to hire him wasn't a particularly secure one...

Keldaria wrote:A few random thoughts..

1: I thought it was impossible to drop alliance and attack that side in the same turn, meaning that unless their alliance agreement allowed specifically for them to attack units of the alliance under certain conditions then it "Should" be impossible to force a transfer in power with anything other than the threat of a battle next turn. So DigDoug being low on spells sucks but will be refreshed next turn I imagine. Of course there is a carneymancer in the hex so that rule might be able to be broken..

2: They dropped the last 2 flying units that could transport things (I assume they were the last 2). If I had to guess I'd say that was done to prevent escape options from the battle next turn.

3: The majority of the air defenses and all of digdougs spells might be gone but the arcons used a lot of foolamancy too.. I'd wager that they were low on resources too, they could still cause damage were combat to resume this turn but if they weren't able to seize the garrison before then I don't see it happening now.

4: Charlescomm is just looking for the biggest payout, and charlie isn't above doing things for free or future money if it means more customers down the road.. breaking up alliances in this case is likely much more beneficial to his ends. So, I'd expect a conversation between Charlie and Postbrake at some point during the turn on flipping the tables

5: King Postbrake was a former Chief Warlord and Prince of the otherside.. I'd be willing to bet that if you gave him a sword he'd easily be able to route the Prince if not murder him. My money is still on postbreak if they can keep charlie in check.

6: A transfer in power, I'm not exactly sure how they could swing that to be honest, so far the only reference we have on that is Jillians backstory about banhammer preping to transfer power under another existing empire.. Any theories on how he plans to accomplish that? By Diplomatic agreement purhaps, or does the prince intend to seize the garrison and found a side then force postbreak the transfer?

With regards to one, in part one of Book Zero, Goodminton broke alliance with one of the Sides that was holding their capital to ransom and attacked within a heartbeat. There can be penalty clauses, but if you've got the capital and ruler in the bag, that won't matter.

On three, I fear the Archons may just 'refresh' once Delkey's turn starts, while the tower spells are gone. Also they represented the work of many turns, rather than a single turn's resources. And of course, some of those Archons retreated, barely scratched, in the early stages of the fighting. Never mind that Charlie could be holding Archons in reserve.

On five, the trouble is that if Posbrake dies, it is over. Also, that sword... does Posbrake have the like?

On six: With the King hostage, the entire Side stands at their mercy, everything else is just details.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby youngstormlord » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:50 pm

The king is protected from ranged attacks. Getting stabbed with a sword is not a ranged attack :cry:

Also, a horrible random thought: There's no Home key on most modern laptops. Only Del key :D
Don't click on this link, you might feel cheated if you do.
Hint:
Spoiler: show
It's my fanfiction. :)

My erf PC game (first test version): Jack Attack Update: Gone after fall of megaupload. Update2: Uploaded again on another hosting. Give it a go.
youngstormlord

Postby jeffseadot » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Gathrun wrote:And that's why they were pushing for an heir to be popped. But how now to have someone else take over a side without destroying it?

Or is this the end of the story, the main point of it having been played out?

Carnymancy could probably be used to temporarily bestow a unit with the qualities of an heir. The spell itself wouldn't really have to last that long, just long enough to make an heir out of the target and then croak the current ruler. The pseudo-heir inherits power, at which point it doesn't matter whether they're an heir or not; the spell will have served its purpose.

... the giant bounty referenced in the past is not to kill Posbrake, but to end Homekey by regicide. As in, croak the ruler and end the side -- a tactic that can only work when there isn't an heir. I can see some trickery happening in the near future in which Dove bestows a random unit with heir-quality right when Delkey thinks they're about to strike the side with a killing blow.
jeffseadot

Postby Gathrun » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:01 pm

If the anti-range spell is to be believed and trusted, the archers still can't hurt the King. Pile the Prince and captains with the full stack of Golems and hope for the best or at least a chance for the King to split the immediate area. Them and the two stacks of archers they brought can't take the city, so if the King gets out of immediate danger, the rest of the troops can retake the tower.

The lag between updates makes me forgetful. Do we know if the anti-range spell was cast for certain, or just the orange glow from her compartment was thought to be Dove casting on the King? And I forget the terms of the spell. Was it one turn he was protected for? If so, is it only their turn? The enemy's turn? Is it more than one stack of Golems up there?

Edit: Not a full stack, only three golems. Two stabbers too. Then The King, Peck and Digdoug. Still don't see the spell actually cast on him. And eight stacks of archers in total, though only two on the tower.
Gathrun

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions