Digdoug - Episode 18

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 18

Postby bpzinn » Mon May 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Jacinth and Rubies wrote:
Xarx wrote:Do people really think that Posbrake's former heir would retain his heir status with his new side? The mechanics of this have not been thoroughly explained, but I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

I think it may kinda be moot at this point - based upon the other cases we've seen, heir status seems to give rather limited benefits to an heir who is not within the borders of their kingdom at the time of their Predecessor's demise. All it means is that he won't disband should Posbrake croak (and possibly should the side he was traded to fall).

I think some people are assuming that when Digdoug's old side agreed to the trade, they were specifically shopping for royalty. And if that is the case it is not unreasonable to assume he would be made heir of their side; royal conventional thought seems to assume having a royal heir waiting in the wings is a moral imperative. Trading for one avoids a ~60 window of vulnerability poping their own.

But we do not know that is the case. They did not value Digdoug very highly, and could have accepted any (noble) warlord, and just thought they got a bargin because Posbrake undervalued his firstborn son. If they already had a Heir, Posbrake's son might be treated as just another warlord.

Shai_hulud wrote:Nothing Lamech just said made any sense. I think he is mixing up several sides and plots, like he is confusing Haffaton with Gobwin Knob and Homekey with Goodminton or something.

That is a bit rude. Also, not specific. What he has been saying is comprehensible to me, and presumably everyone else. Give a quote and maybe someone can help you understand.
bpzinn

Postby Lamech » Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 pm

bpzinn wrote:
Shai_hulud wrote:Nothing Lamech just said made any sense. I think he is mixing up several sides and plots, like he is confusing Haffaton with Gobwin Knob and Homekey with Goodminton or something.

That is a bit rude. Also, not specific. What he has been saying is comprehensible to me, and presumably everyone else. Give a quote and maybe someone can help you understand.

My writing style is a bit poor when I type on forums. If I have more than one point to make I'll jump between them writing my points. While I separate them on the page, I often leave thoughts unfinished, not mention assumptions, facts or conclusions I'm relying on and have generally poor transitions. But thank you for the vote of confidence. :D
Lamech

Postby cheeseaholic » Tue May 06, 2014 1:11 am

Lamech wrote:
bpzinn wrote:

My writing style is a bit poor when I type on forums. If I have more than one point to make I'll jump between them writing my points. While I separate them on the page, I often leave thoughts unfinished, not mention assumptions, facts or conclusions I'm relying on and have generally poor transitions. But thank you for the vote of confidence. :D

In my opinion that's an excellent way to put things down here. At least, if the goal is to try to figure out the truth instead of arguing.

I often times confuse people on the internets when I put down information against my opinion in a post. No boop it goes against what I stated my belief was, I'm putting it down because it's pertinent.
cheeseaholic

Postby TurtlesAWD » Tue May 06, 2014 10:15 am

I'd say Bucky is a reasonable suspect for being the traitor assuming she was lying about being in love with Posbrake. If she wasn't lying, then acting in direct contradiction to the philosophy that makes Posbrake a unique ruler would be a pretty awkward motivation. If she was lying about that, then I guess she could be lying about everything all the way down. I didn't get the impression that she was being deceptive, but if it was that easy to tell I guess she wouldn't be a very good spy.
TurtlesAWD

Postby bladestorm » Tue May 06, 2014 1:31 pm

A couple of ideas...

Bucky may be a caster of the more subtle variety. A signmancer perhaps, that was able to adjust her own signamancy so that you couldn't tell she was a caster, and alter the reported stats that units can see. If so, she could have been the one who activated the tower trap.

Dove may have cooked the books and made them very acceptable. The books went from being full of smudges and loopholes to having everything spelled out just the way it was expected. Like the rebellious, long-haired teenager who typically sleeps until noon, has poor hygiene, and is rude suddenly getting up at 6am, cutting his hair, putting on a nice outfit, greets his family in the morning with a cheery attitude and breakfast, and goes off to school with all of his homework completed. It was exactly what the parents were wanting, which meant something was wrong. Because there was 'nothing wrong' with the books, obviously something was wrong and professionally covered up.

Posbrake's turn wasn't ended; it was suspended. Dove's spell should still be in effect. No continuity break. Once Delkey ends their turn, Homekey's turn will resume. reference: A sensation came to him that he’d never felt before: it was now not Homekey’s turn any more. He had move, but he couldn’t use it. There were enemy units in front of him...the Delkey archers and warlords. Delkey had broken their alliance! And because their natural turn occurred first, Homekey’s turn was now suspended.
bladestorm

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Tue May 06, 2014 4:52 pm

bpzinn wrote:
Jacinth and Rubies wrote:
Xarx wrote:Do people really think that Posbrake's former heir would retain his heir status with his new side? The mechanics of this have not been thoroughly explained, but I'd be very surprised if that were the case.

I think it may kinda be moot at this point - based upon the other cases we've seen, heir status seems to give rather limited benefits to an heir who is not within the borders of their kingdom at the time of their Predecessor's demise. All it means is that he won't disband should Posbrake croak (and possibly should the side he was traded to fall).

I think some people are assuming that when Digdoug's old side agreed to the trade, they were specifically shopping for royalty. And if that is the case it is not unreasonable to assume he would be made heir of their side; royal conventional thought seems to assume having a royal heir waiting in the wings is a moral imperative. Trading for one avoids a ~60 window of vulnerability poping their own.

But we do not know that is the case. They did not value Digdoug very highly, and could have accepted any (noble) warlord, and just thought they got a bargin because Posbrake undervalued his firstborn son. If they already had a Heir, Posbrake's son might be treated as just another warlord.

It's happened in RL, for example my country when it began unifying at the start of the modern era was technicaly a Principate, the traditional title for the ruler even translates directly into Warlord :mrgreen: , so they extended a offer to members of Europe's royal houses to come in and be crowned as King due to 3 reasons:
[list=]
[*] none of the local elite trusted each other to rule or had a majority to rule
[*] being classified as a Kingdom meant you were a modern state and the big boys treated you a bit better
[*] you got much stronger ties to whatever state the new sovereign was from
[/list]

Sure there were drawbacks, the King had a position more like the UK's royal familly as opposed to the Sun King, he had to adopt the local culture completely and etc but still a free kingdom.
Prodigial_Knight

Postby ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ » Tue May 06, 2014 6:15 pm

Prodigial_Knight wrote:It's happened in RL, for example my country when it began unifying at the start of the modern era was technicaly a Principate, the traditional title for the ruler even translates directly into Warlord :mrgreen: , so they extended a offer to members of Europe's royal houses to come in and be crowned as King due to 3 reasons:
[list=]
[*] none of the local elite trusted each other to rule or had a majority to rule
[*] being classified as a Kingdom meant you were a modern state and the big boys treated you a bit better
[*] you got much stronger ties to whatever state the new sovereign was from
[/list]

Sure there were drawbacks, the King had a position more like the UK's royal familly as opposed to the Sun King, he had to adopt the local culture completely and etc but still a free kingdom.

And now I totally want to read the story of a regency adopting a royal to get back in kingdomhood. Wasn't one of the sides of the royal coalition a regency?
3 Naughtymancers of different disciplines walk into a bar... wait, forget what I just said. A shockmancer and a croakamancer walk into a bar.
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛

Postby 0beron » Wed May 07, 2014 9:49 am

bladestorm wrote:Bucky may be a caster of the more subtle variety. A signmancer perhaps, that was able to adjust her own signamancy so that you couldn't tell she was a caster, and alter the reported stats that units can see. If so, she could have been the one who activated the tower trap.
I assume you're suggesting then that Posbreak is "in on it" and has her concealing herself? Because he would know when she pops what she is.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Snowbody » Mon May 19, 2014 9:39 am

Mrtyuh wrote:We know Digdoug did not activate it; he was too preoccupied with the scroll.

As soon as he started reading the scroll, he was subject to.....

Scroll Lock!
Snowbody

Previous

Return to Reactions