Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 19

Postby balder » Tue May 06, 2014 12:56 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 19

Postby 0beron » Tue May 06, 2014 6:15 pm

Oh my....
Well, guess we get to learn some more Barbarian caster mechanics than we bargained for....

Although I have to wonder whether the side is really gone. There are definitely ways Posbroke could fake this. We know that casters can be "banished", dismissing them from the side into the MK. And we know you can switch capitals, so if somehow Posbroke was within reach of one...
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Radagast » Tue May 06, 2014 6:25 pm

It seems doubtful (although not impossible) that 18 updates all about Homekey have no real meaning to the end of the story. However my guess is that we haven't seen the end of at least some of the characters... or the lightsaber ;)
Radagast

Postby Sixty » Tue May 06, 2014 6:46 pm

Or the double double twist in which Digdoug was right originally and it IS all a show!

But no, probably not. :D
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Radagast » Tue May 06, 2014 6:53 pm

Also wow 160 per day that's more than double Dove's upkeep...
Radagast

Postby BCCroaker » Tue May 06, 2014 7:37 pm

I wonder if we've seen Digdoug in the main thread as a background figure in the Magic Kingdom. A lot of those characters are based on Stupid World but we don't know their names. Also I don't have a clear idea of what Digdoug looks like.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Deezee » Tue May 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Wow. There's a twist. Digdoug incapacitated Prince Creen but left Posbrake conscious; that's pretty much as good as could be hoped for. I don't think Posbrake's wounds killed him, if they were that dangerous he would have sent Dove to hire a Healamancer and bring the Healamancer back to Homekey to heal both him and Digdoug, instead of sending Digdoug to be healed alone.
So... What happened? Maybe Charlie had yet another level of duplicity waiting in the wings, and had tipped off Numloch that all this drama would happen and they were ready to sweep in and take the city, but how would they have gotten past the outer cities?

I guess this update also clarifies that having food reduces upkeep, so I guess Dove's upkeep before was after eating, which is why she costs so much less than Digdoug.
Deezee

Postby NastySasquatch » Tue May 06, 2014 7:41 pm

Nice move Rob. This is a very nice twist, off screen happenings are fun to try and figure out.

And, holy crud... It sure would be nice to know what level Digdoug is for that upkeep. Is he close to Master Class?
NastySasquatch

Postby Lipkin » Tue May 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Radagast wrote:Also wow 160 per day that's more than double Dove's upkeep...

She also was getting food as part of her deal though, so that brought her cost down.

As for what's going on... I suspect that Posbrake decided to save Digdoug for whatever reason. If the fate of the side was to fall, he may have seen their effort to avert that as a failure, and he did what he could to save who he could.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Mithiwithi » Tue May 06, 2014 7:58 pm

My speculation: Homekey was taken... by Numloch.

Posbrake knew Minus's patience with him was at an end - sending Creen to replace him, by force if necessary, as ruler of Homekey was evidence enough for that. He undoubtedly knew Creen was not the bluffing sort, and that there would indeed be Delkey ground forces enough to take Homekey. And this time, it seems certain that Minus would order Posbrake disbanded.

So: Posbrake offered terms of surrender to Numloch, terms which offered the city of Homekey and the return of the cities they'd conquered from Numloch; and Posbrake himself as a warlord - one who Numloch knew was effective in taking and holding territory, and who had some inside intelligence on Delkey's defenses. A desperate ploy, to be sure, but the worst they could do is say no, conquer Homekey themselves, and disband Posbrake, which is the treatment he could reasonably expect from Delkey anyway.

If my speculation is correct, the terms of surrender may also include a request to hire a certain two casters...
Mithiwithi

Postby Lilwik » Tue May 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Sixty wrote:Or the double double twist in which Digdoug was right originally and it IS all a show!
"Everything’s a show, Digdoug. Nobody understands that but the Carnies and the Signamancers. Of course I’m putting on a show. I put on a show wherever I go. And so do you, hon. You just don’t know it." -- Dove, Episode 11

Whatever is going on, I can't believe that it's exactly what it seems to be. If it were simply true that Posbrake died somehow and Digdoug is on his own from now on, then how would Digdoug ever get any answers? Digdoug is right that Dove's story doesn't make sense. Capturing Creen really should have been enough to end the battle. There are so many questions that need to be answered and as far as I can tell there is no magic in all of the Magic Kingdom that could reveal those answers. Predictamancers can only reveal the future; they can't tell us what happened in the past.

Some of the answers might come from Dove, since she surely knows more than she's told, but Dove doesn't know what happened to Homekey and we need to know that. It would be implausible for this story to set up all these mysteries and end without explaining the truth behind it all. Rob Balder would never do that to us. So something is not as it seems. Is Posbrake even really dead? We've missed Homekey's entire turn this day, so there's no telling what Posbrake might have done on his turn. Moving the capital might make sense, but wouldn't the new capital have a portal of the same color? It would make no sense for Posbrake to banish Digdoug, especially not with an empty purse. Posbrake isn't trying to fake his own death because every remaining Homekey city is proof that Posbrake is still alive.

Surely Dove must know the truth because she is now Digdoug's only connection to answers and that means that Dove is lying about something. I see two possibilities. For one, Dove betrayed Posbrake and arranged his death somehow for the bounty that Numloch would pay. That means that Dove knows exactly why Digdoug's side ended and she's helping him out of guilt. For another, Digdoug has it exactly right and Dove is using Carnymancy to trick Digdoug into staying in the Magic Kingdom. Digdoug even points out that every single realization he's had about losing his side has been in Dove's presence, including the absent portal, and now she's going to pay his upkeep to explain why he doesn't disband at dawn.
Lilwik

Postby Lipkin » Tue May 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Mithiwithi wrote:My speculation: Homekey was taken... by Numloch.

Posbrake knew Minus's patience with him was at an end - sending Creen to replace him, by force if necessary, as ruler of Homekey was evidence enough for that. He undoubtedly knew Creen was not the bluffing sort, and that there would indeed be Delkey ground forces enough to take Homekey. And this time, it seems certain that Minus would order Posbrake disbanded.

So: Posbrake offered terms of surrender to Numloch, terms which offered the city of Homekey and the return of the cities they'd conquered from Numloch; and Posbrake himself as a warlord - one who Numloch knew was effective in taking and holding territory, and who had some inside intelligence on Delkey's defenses. A desperate ploy, to be sure, but the worst they could do is say no, conquer Homekey themselves, and disband Posbrake, which is the treatment he could reasonably expect from Delkey anyway.

If my speculation is correct, the terms of surrender may also include a request to hire a certain two casters...

Good guess, plus, they have Creen as a bargaining chip.

"We'll surrender and turn, plus give you Delkey's chief warlord and heir, if you come save us."

The only question is, how would they get the message to them? Charlie is all set to attack, I doubt he'd be accommodating.
Lipkin

Postby ╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛ » Tue May 06, 2014 8:18 pm

BCCroaker wrote:I wonder if we've seen Digdoug in the main thread as a background figure in the Magic Kingdom. A lot of those characters are based on Stupid World but we don't know their names. Also I don't have a clear idea of what Digdoug looks like.

http://smashbroslawlorigins.wikia.com/wiki/Dig_Dug

Also, maybe the side didn't fall, they may have lost their capital, but if the king is actually a barbarian, he may be able to reopen the portal as soon as he capture a new capital site.
3 Naughtymancers of different disciplines walk into a bar... wait, forget what I just said. A shockmancer and a croakamancer walk into a bar.
╒╦╧╬╩╦╦╛

Postby Jacinth and Rubies » Tue May 06, 2014 8:25 pm

What if Dove is lying... but about who was incapacitated? What if Creen was conscious and Posbrake incap'd? What if the reason she and Digdoug are in the MK are because Delkey won, and Creen ordered the two "abominable" casters into the MK? Or just Creen was conscious, so Dove decided to grab Digdoug and beat a hasty retreat before Things Got UglyTM? I do think Dove isn't being completely honest, but I think it's to protect Digdoug from the eve uglier truth.
Jacinth and Rubies

Postby Mithiwithi » Tue May 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Lipkin wrote:The only question is, how would they get the message to them? Charlie is all set to attack, I doubt he'd be accommodating.

Charlie has their own contract with Delkey, yes - "to assure an orderly transfer of power" - but how that affects Charlie's cost/benefit calculation depends vitally on what the terms of that contract are. And to sweeten the deal, Numloch still has the funds on hand for the bounty they have on Posbrake. And Charlie's broken a contract before, when he thinks he stands to gain more from it than paying out the forfeiture clause...

Incidentally, my scenario still includes plenty of fodder for character conflict. How do you think Digdoug is going to react when a representative from Numloch comes to offer him a job? How much would they tell him about why they wanted to hire him - and how much would he believe?
Mithiwithi

Postby arkerpay » Tue May 06, 2014 8:43 pm

A desperate barbarian caster in Digdoug's position could just take his chances and enter a portal. Better option than disbanding. I think most sides would welcome another caster, especially a Dirtamancer.
arkerpay

Postby Zippy the Squirrel » Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Wait, what? What??

What happened to Posbrake? Didn't he fall into a pool of water with Dig Doug and Print Screen? Oh I just now got that. Oh and the King is Pause/Break. Haha. I'm slow.
Zippy the Squirrel
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Salvage » Tue May 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Wow. I cried. Fantastic stuff Rob. Wow.
Salvage
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Keighvin1 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:30 pm

It's possible that Posbreak just wanted to try to save someone from his side and the only one he could was DigDoug. Assuming his incapacitation was of a kind that would croak at turn's end, Posbreak could have feared that Delkey would end turn suddenly, which would end the side and trap all the units in the city.

He could have sent Dove to find a healer, but there's no guarantee that she would find one and be back in time (please don't start a debate about time). So he could have sent them both as a precaution, since both casters would likely not be viewed as a positive gain if Delkey conquered the neutral city.
Keighvin1
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Tue May 06, 2014 9:37 pm

Could have also been an excuse to save Dove, if he has real feelings for her.
Lipkin

Next

Return to Reactions