Digdoug - Episode 20

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby multilis » Thu May 15, 2014 9:38 pm

My impression is most people in magic kingdom have big surplus in shmuckers/Rands, death is not feared much.

A few are like the "homeless" in a real life city, have nearly run out.

Casters with sides of course get upkeep taken care of by side. Any Rands they build up are unemployment insurance if their side falls.

Barbarians can: hire themselves out, create scrolls, trade with others who hire selves out or create scrolls. Since casters are so valuable in erfworld, not that hard to find a side to join... of course then risk of dying in war, etc.

There could also be politics involved... other casters compete with you, drive prices down for scrolls and mercenary work. So ones on different political sides... our side may make it harder for their side to connect to customers and find work.

Reputation also comes into play, a caster who has reputation as backstabber or otherwise unreliable may have trouble finding work. It takes trust that especially a carnymancer scroll does what it claims.

Rands... my guess is they have some sort of internal bank in magic kingdom that converts shmuckers to rands, and then rands to whatever upkeep is needed. The central bank has advantage being moneymancer (and any profits may be required to be kept as banking reserves), but for individual moneymancer outside the enforcement committee, no advantage. A system where 1 Rand=1 day favours the highest ranked casters (who cost more to maintain). Highest ranking casters being most powerful means they are able to make rules that make their life easier.

A low level caster will have trouble cranking out enough scrolls or contracts to earn his 1 rand, while a high level caster has easy time doing same amount of work to earn 1 Rand, the poor/newbies subsidize the powerful. Isaac can crank out a scroll with a single days efforts every 5 days to generate 10 rands, and have large spare amount of upkeep, survival is not a worry. A level 1 caster would struggle to make a scroll worth 5 rand in 5 days with small risk he fails.

There may be a market for buying scrolls from other casters who are desperate, then selling them later to outside magic kingdom for a profit. Thinkomancers probably have easiest time profiting this way.
multilis

Postby Lipkin » Thu May 15, 2014 10:43 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:
wih wrote:Could be Digdoug assuming he's a Carny.

snip

I say it could go either way. If it is Clay, I wouldn't call it bad writing. I wouldn't feel lied to. But it's just as possible that Xin just drew someone that looked like Clay.

Lilwik wrote:
Zeku wrote:And does any evidence exist that upkeep has to be paid in the MK? This isn't really logically consistent with the casual nature of the MK. I just wasn't sure if we've specifically heard that upkeep has to be paid there.
I know what you mean. You're talking about B2T40. "In a string of dull days, this one surely looked to be just another." There is Isaac being so contemplative and playing in the park. I wouldn't say that it is logically inconsistent with having to pay upkeep, but it is in pretty serious conflict with life in the Magic Kingdom being a desperate struggle for Rands the way Dove makes it sound.

I think the only evidence we have that people need to pay upkeep in the Magic Kingdom is that they seem to desire shmuckers. Why else would they risk their lives by agreeing to work outside the Magic Kingdom? And if they aren't spending shmuckers on upkeep, then what happens to the shmuckers that they collect?

Isaac is a master class Thinkamancer in a shadow cabal. Even if he wasn't in high demand, with a good stock of rands and smuckers squirreled away, he's a valuable part of a powerful organization that wouldn't let him croak. He's got no reason to be frantic.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Thu May 15, 2014 11:22 pm

Lipkin wrote:
Lilwik wrote:
Zeku wrote:And does any evidence exist that upkeep has to be paid in the MK? This isn't really logically consistent with the casual nature of the MK. I just wasn't sure if we've specifically heard that upkeep has to be paid there.
I know what you mean. You're talking about B2T40. "In a string of dull days, this one surely looked to be just another." There is Isaac being so contemplative and playing in the park. I wouldn't say that it is logically inconsistent with having to pay upkeep, but it is in pretty serious conflict with life in the Magic Kingdom being a desperate struggle for Rands the way Dove makes it sound.

I think the only evidence we have that people need to pay upkeep in the Magic Kingdom is that they seem to desire shmuckers. Why else would they risk their lives by agreeing to work outside the Magic Kingdom? And if they aren't spending shmuckers on upkeep, then what happens to the shmuckers that they collect?

Isaac is a master class Thinkamancer in a shadow cabal. Even if he wasn't in high demand, with a good stock of rands and smuckers squirreled away, he's a valuable part of a powerful organization that wouldn't let him croak. He's got no reason to be frantic.

Basically everything we have seen runs counter to the idea that the Magic Kingdom is a desperate struggle. Now maybe for some disciplines that's the case, but others clearly have it made. For example: http://www.erfworld.com/2012/01/inner-p ... isode-020/ 18,000 shmuckers for one scroll. That's the upkeep of 100 turns for Digdoug. The hippiemancers seem to just sing all day and act generally carefree. Even if food can't pay the whole upkeep they can just export food, and take a portion of how much it reduces the upkeep. Dirtamancer can do a similar deal when upgrading cities (and they get lots of xp for it). Turnamancers and Dittomancers can do a similar trick by boosting unit production to turn them into rations. There are other disciplines who can either save or create more than they cost in upkeep.

Maybe Carnymancers who have gained a reputation for cons have trouble finding work. Assuming Dove was honest her job only got her a little over 20 turns of upkeep, and that was a multi-turn job AND it required risk. They might very well struggle.

Regardless I still think that the Short Pier (if its real) gets its casters from despair, rather than inability to make cash. I'm sure even a carnymancer can hold up a sign "will work for upkeep" in portal part and get someone. Casters are extremely powerful.

Hey I have one final question: apparently gold and stuff can be converted to shmuckers. And Digdoug can make metal and such. I wonder if he can make enough gold to pay his upkeep?
Lamech

Postby nargbop » Fri May 16, 2014 12:40 am

Lamech, Lord Creen wore some (very rare) items that could be converted to shmuckers, but ordinary materials like stone, metal, or gold would not. Gems are the only things out in Erfworld nature that are worth shmuckers. Gems can also be created by moneymancers, for specific amounts of shmuckers.

The big question is, how much is Dove tricking Digdoug? If Dove can give him phantom stats or make him think he's not on a side anymore, then she's got control of him. She can't take over his whole sensorium or change his memories - that's super-wizard powers reserved to Charlie with an artifact. We can't be certain that Rands really take care of daily upkeep, or that he really has zero shmuckers, or that he hasn't had provisions given to him on the sly, or that the Healomancer hasn't given him some other kind of dependence instead of upkeep. We don't even know if the Short Pier is a real thing.

We can't know those things until Digdoug separates himself from Dove for at least a little while, and also talks to multiple non-affiliated casters elsewhere. Right now, she's got him tied up tightly.
nargbop
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby SandroTheMaster » Fri May 16, 2014 12:44 am

Why do people keep tying Rands back to Schmuckers? No matter how you turn it, it'll always make moneymancers too powerful in the MK. There are tons of other possible explanations that don't involve schmuckers. Heck, moneymancers already have the advantage of having a much easier time affording their normal upkeep. It is also possible that most casters don't even know where it comes from and just get them down the line. It could be earned, for instance, by converting erfworder bodies into their raw life essence, which could sustain a caster for one day. Sure that would make more than a few casters shocked if they ever found the origin of their Rands (in a soylent green kind of way). It could be another resource that only casters know how to mine and the MK is constantly sending dirtamancers to dig veins (that would also give more weight to the dirtamancers rockstar status). It could be made by condensing and distilling juice, but one Rand takes more juice than one single caster can muster. Etc, etc...

Also, it seems pretty obvious that the casters who struggle in MK are the unpopular ones. It is pretty clear that EVERYONE loathes carnies. Other casters because they don't trust their discipline, rulers because of the tabu of breaking the Titans' rules. Probably croakamancers because both rulers and other casters see their discipline as evil and profane. Shockamancers are of little use to other casters and rulers seem to prefer other kinds of casters loading their tower with Shockamancy (though they probably do get by on selling scrolls for when the other casters do need a big stick). Predictamancers are also considered taboo because the only thing they're hired for is to predict a side's doom. That's not a service that you'd need very often and it just gives them a reputation of doomsayers. And then luckamancers are probably never trusted with any tasks because they probably cheated, and if Clay is any indication most luckamancers are probably emotional wrecks due to the guilt they feel in the nature of their discipline of stealing numbers from others.

By the way, that 18 000 scroll had a very, very powerful Dirtamancy spell in it. It upgraded a squat tower nearly useless for casting into a veritable looming enchanted tower. Probably had the juice of dozens of turns worth of dirtamancy in it. And where did you ever see anyone value gold? The only resource ever shown was gems (and it is both finite and apparently completely consumed when turned into schmuckers.
3 gaming maxims:
1 - The likeness of a natural 1 is directly proportional to the potential emotional damage of the roll.
2 - Call of Cthulhu games can be shockingly short.
3 - Don't calculate statistics and game. Therein lies madness.
SandroTheMaster

Postby Godzfirefly » Fri May 16, 2014 1:23 am

SandroTheMaster wrote:Why do people keep tying Rands back to Schmuckers?

Probably because under the normal Erfworld system, schmuckers are used to pay upkeep. In this update, it was revealed Rands can be accepted by Erfworld instead. That makes them equivalent in a way that can't be ignored and should be explored, even if only to determine why Erfworld accepts them when they're not tied to Schmuckers.

Also, the implication seems to be that you can't use rands to maintain upkeep when you'r part of a side (though that may not be true) so the relationship between rands, schmuckers, and upkeep is even more confusing.
Godzfirefly

Postby Godzfirefly » Fri May 16, 2014 1:35 am

Lilwik wrote:All magic breaks rules. Dirtamancy breaks the rule that dirt is inanimate. Turnamancy breaks the rules that say how long it should take to produce thing.

That series of statements bothers me. It bothers me a lot, because it suggests that magic is somehow unnatural in Erfworld. Magic doesn't normally break the rules, it is part of the rules. Dirtamancy doesn't break the rule that dirt is inanimate, it uses a natural force (juice) to move the dirt. Turnamancy doesn't break any rules to speed production times, it uses a natural force within the rules to add a multiplier to production time. That's why there is such a thing as Natural magics. They are part of the rules, with the limitations and guidelines you'd expect of a rule-based system.

Carnymancy is inherently different because it breaks those rules, limitations, and guidelines. Carnymancy doesn't enhance the abilities of a unit within the rules, it changes the rules entirely.

(This thought process has led me to wonder if there is such a thing as natural carnymancy...like when Parson broke the rule that curse words always become boop? And, if so, how far can that go?)
Godzfirefly

Postby Lilwik » Fri May 16, 2014 2:05 am

Godzfirefly wrote:Carnymancy is inherently different because it breaks those rules, limitations, and guidelines. Carnymancy doesn't enhance the abilities of a unit within the rules, it changes the rules entirely.
That doesn't mean anything. All that is doing is defining "the rules" to be what is possible in Erfworld without using Carnymancy. So it's circular: the rules are everything except Carnymancy, and Carnymancy is magic for breaking the rules. Therefore it tells us nothing about the rules and nothing about Carnymancy, except that each one excludes the other. We still don't know anything about what Carnymancy can actually do.

This is exactly the game that Dove was playing. She tells you something that sounds like it means something, but when you try to use it to figure out the abilities of Carnymancy you find that she hasn't really told you anything, and that's how she likes it.
Lilwik

Postby warriortribble » Fri May 16, 2014 2:10 am

SandroTheMaster wrote: And where did you ever see anyone value gold? The only resource ever shown was gems (and it is both finite and apparently completely consumed when turned into schmuckers.

In the sixth Digdoug episode, when he analyzes Prince Creen's clothing Digdoug pretty much tells us that if the prince's gold plated belt shoe buckles were solid gold it would've been possible to convert them directly to smuckers.

Digdoug Episode 6 wrote:Although Digdoug could detect that the shoe buckles were not solid gold, much of the rest of his jewelry was of a quality that the pieces were directly convertible to Shmuckers.
warriortribble
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Godzfirefly » Fri May 16, 2014 3:34 am

Lilwik wrote:
Godzfirefly wrote:Carnymancy is inherently different because it breaks those rules, limitations, and guidelines. Carnymancy doesn't enhance the abilities of a unit within the rules, it changes the rules entirely.
All that is doing is defining "the rules" to be what is possible in Erfworld without using Carnymancy. So it's circular: the rules are everything except Carnymancy, and Carnymancy is magic for breaking the rules.

No...it does not. Not unless you're ignoring the reality that there is a difference between breaking a rule and pushing a rock across the ground...And if you intend to simply redefine the things I'm saying to instead say that I'm saying the same thing as you, then there's no point in conversing with you.
Godzfirefly

Postby Lilwik » Fri May 16, 2014 4:00 am

Godzfirefly wrote:Not unless you're ignoring the reality that there is a difference between breaking a rule and pushing a rock across the ground.
Is there really a difference? I suppose it's a rule that only Dirtamancy can push a rock without touching it, and maybe Carnymancy can break that rule. We don't know if Carnymancy can do that, so we can't tell if it's possible to push a rock across the ground by breaking a rule, just as we can't tell what sorts of tricks Dove might possibly be pulling on Digdoug. Any magical thing you can imagine can also be described in terms of breaking some sort of rule.
Lilwik

Postby Godzfirefly » Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 am

Yes, it really is different.

If there is a hypothetical boulder that you want to roll off a hypothetical cliff, there is no rule against doing so. You just need to apply an appropriate method. Dirtamancers might animate the rock to roll itself down the cliff. A warlord might order a stack of stabbers to push it. A Shockamancer might blast it with a powerful shock wave and knock it down the cliff. A croakamancer might order uncroaked units to shove it. A Wierdomancer might enhance his own strength to be able to move the boulder on his own. A luckamancer might give himself a critical roll on his strength check to shove it (assuming that is even enough.) A changemancer might create a lever to apply mechanical force to moving the boulder. A digger might dig a channel under the boulder, making it naturally roll down the hill on its own. Et cetera. Nothing but the rock's own weight stops anyone from moving it, as long as you have a method. Literally anyone can do it. (And, not all require anything to touch the boulder, so your alleged "only dirtamancers can move the boulder without touching it" rule clearly doesn't exist.) No rule breaking at all, just application of natural forces within the rule framework (aka physics engine).

Based solely on the theory of Carnymancy that says carnymancy is only the magic of breaking rules, a Carnymancer might not have a method to move said rock. Because, breaking rules doesn't give you an additional method of acting, it instead changes the conditions in which the method would be applied. Indeed, one could argue that you can not directly do anything with carnymancy alone (by the understanding that carnymancy is only about breaking rules.) A carnymancer might still be able to find a way to get the rock down the hill, but carnymancy alone seems insufficient to do so. Carnymancy might allow the dirtamancer to push the boulder down the hill from another hex (breaking the rule preventing casting between hexes.) Or, it might allow the warlord to order allied units to push it down. Or, it might allow the wierdomancer to give the boulder the flying special (breaking the rule that only units can have the flying special, and letting the boulder help them push it down the hill.) Or, it might let the changemancer's lever apply its mechanical force from an angle that wouldn't normally direct the boulder down the cliff to send it down the cliff anyway. But, unless the Carnymancer can break the rule that the boulder can't be pushed through the edge of the cliff directly, the carnymancer can't on his/her own get the boulder down the hill (and even then, the carnymancer would still have to push the darned thing.)
Godzfirefly

Postby Lilwik » Fri May 16, 2014 5:22 am

Godzfirefly wrote:Indeed, one could argue that you can not directly do anything with carnymancy alone (by the understanding that carnymancy is only about breaking rules.)
That seems fair. Assuming Dove is accurately representing Carnymancy as only being able to break rules, I can agree that Carnymancy doesn't directly do anything. But just by changing the rules of the world you can indirectly do anything. Taking direct action is completely unnecessary when you have veto power over the rules by which the world works. Carnymancy has the power to make arrows shatter instead of causing injury, so can anyone honestly claim to know that getting a little rock to move is beyond the power of Carnymancy? How can we know that there is no rule that prevents the rock from spontaneously moving?

Normally rocks don't slide east on level ground under their own power. Break that rule, and the rock moves. Normally candy doesn't fall from the sky like rain. Break that rule, and you get candy. Normally sides have portals to the Magic Kingdom. Is that another rule that Carnymancy can break? We have no way of knowing. If Dove had given us a list of all the rules that Carnymancy can break, then we'd know what Carnymancy can do. Without that list, we can only guess, and the possibilities are endless.
Lilwik

Postby Lipkin » Fri May 16, 2014 6:10 am

There isn't a rule in Monopoly that I can't put an Incredible Hulk action figure on the board and use it to wreck the other player's hotels. Doesn't mean I can do that.
Lipkin

Postby GWvsJohn » Fri May 16, 2014 8:12 am

I think it's fairly obvious that Erfworld has a permissive rule set, in that the rules define what you can do, not what you can't do. So saying Carnies can just break the rule that says boulders don't roll uphill is unlikely to work as there is probably no such rule. Breaking the rule that boulders roll downhill and stoping a boulder in place is probably possible. There's probably also some sort of rule that defines how many units it takes move an object of a certain of a certain size/weight. The Carnie could probably break that rule.
GWvsJohn

Postby Lilwik » Fri May 16, 2014 5:32 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:I think it's fairly obvious that Erfworld has a permissive rule set, in that the rules define what you can do, not what you can't do.
Where is that obvious from? That's not how rules normally work. If we could pin down how the rules of Erfworld work it would surely gives us clues about what Dove might be doing and the possibility of Homekey somehow surviving. Can anyone remember a part of the story that suggests something about the nature of the rules of Erfworld?
Lilwik

Postby mortissimus » Fri May 16, 2014 5:47 pm

0beron wrote:I think this whole Rands issue comes down to that age-old question of how the MK even came into existance in the first place. Was it created by the Titans, or by casters at some later point? The answer to this has different implications:

Created by the Titans:
This means Rands are part of some innate mechanic, and do not have a specific conversion factor to Schmuckers, but DO have an implied value. If it's a Titanicly created Mechanic, and a single Rand pays to keep any one caster alive for another day, that's a sort of floor to the value. It's saying "this unit of currency should only be traded away from something that you value as much or more than a day of your life." which is a very interesting (and philosophical) point. If this is the case, then it may actually not be paying for their Upkeep though. The Rand may be consumed as part of a system that suspends the Disbanding mechanic. So to put Erfworld's rules into computer language as I've seen some before: "If Rand is paid, then skip target in the daily disband check."

Created by the Erflings:
In this case, the various aspects of how the MK works could have been built piece by piece as the need arose. Rands may have been added later, as the need for an economy emerged and as some casters ran into problems trying to sustain themselves using only Schmuckers. Perhaps the Rands paid by casters in Upkeep aren't actually being "burned" but rather are changing hands without their knowledge. And this changing of hands is actually a collection of one Rand from every single caster, then from the "pot" one Rand is given to every Food-Producer for each unit of Food they produce. Nobody every directly "pays" for food, they just eat because their upkeep Rand already paid someone for the Food they need. The Food-producers then spend the Rands given to them automagically by the MK in order to procure services, and thus the economy keeps rolling. The number of Rands is constant, and probably represents the maximum number of Casters the MK can sustain, based on the maximum quantity of Food it can produce each turn. The fact that some Casters clearly have more than a single Rand just means that the MK is not at maximum capacity, due to caster inequality, supply/demand and greed.

All wild conjecture and theorizing on my part, and honestly I like both possibilities. Now that I think about it, either system could actually apply regardless of how the Mk was created...but oh well, I'll leave it this was cus that's how I thought of it. And main point being, there are definitely ways in which Rands could "cover" upkeep but not actually convert to Schmuckers.

I think that is a useful distinction. Under the Erfling Rand system, either they loop or somewhere there are casters creating Rands. Under the Titanic Rand system Rands are destroyed as upkeep, which means there is a Titanic created system to create them.

Lipkin wrote:There isn't a rule in Monopoly that I can't put an Incredible Hulk action figure on the board and use it to wreck the other player's hotels. Doesn't mean I can do that.

Got to remember that is I play Monopoly again. Hulk smash! No rule says I can't!
mortissimus

Postby GWvsJohn » Fri May 16, 2014 6:22 pm

Lilwik wrote:
GWvsJohn wrote:I think it's fairly obvious that Erfworld has a permissive rule set, in that the rules define what you can do, not what you can't do.
Where is that obvious from? That's not how rules normally work. If we could pin down how the rules of Erfworld work it would surely gives us clues about what Dove might be doing and the possibility of Homekey somehow surviving. Can anyone remember a part of the story that suggests something about the nature of the rules of Erfworld?

Have you ever played a game? Any game? Ever? That's exactly how most rule sets work.
GWvsJohn

Postby Lilwik » Fri May 16, 2014 6:57 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:Have you ever played a game? Any game? Ever? That's exactly how most rule sets work.
If rules are permissive then each rule gives you more options for what you can do, and therefore breaking rules means taking away options. When was the last time you saw someone cheat by restricting himself to only play by fewer than his full set of options? Rules are supposed to set boundaries and breaking rules traditionally means gaining freedom and doing things in your own way.

The only explicit example of Carnymancy that we've seen was Posbrake being immune to arrows, and in that case it was a restriction of possibilities: the enemy lost the possibility to shoot Posbrake. Sylvia may also have been an example of that, but surely we aren't going to extrapolate that into a general rule for Carnymancy. Do we really believe that something described as "breaking rules" always restricts what people can do and actually acts like a straight-jacket that is made of broken rules? Are we really saying that the more rules you break, the less you can do? Don't forget this is coming from a discipline that seems to value freedom so much, with houses on wheels and Jojo saying things like, "The individual can steer the ship of self to his port of choice, however emphatically the world may blow him." (B2P62)

When I break rules I expect new possibilities. I'm not saying that Carnymancy works that way. I'm just saying that it's a possibility that we shouldn't ignore, unless someone wants to share what part of the story makes it so obvious that Erfworld rules really are permissive and never restrictive.
Lilwik

Postby Innovan » Fri May 16, 2014 8:03 pm

In the Rands/Smuckers debate, do we know where these currencies are being paid to?

We're told that rations appear, and healing is done, and smuckers/rands disappear. But what account are these transferred *to*?

Is there a whole Harry Potter/House Elf thing going on where there's an unseen workforce who provide what's needed for each side's unit upkeep in exchange for smuckers/rands?

Or are there Arkentools enabling an unseen kingdom to contract out all these services affordably, a more low profile version of Charlie? We know Parson got some pretty specific toy surprises in his stupid-world rations that had to come from a Toymancer.

Perhaps the currency is just specific to the outsourcing service that's providing unit upkeep for a side --Smuckers & Sons, Rand LLC, and there will be several other upkeep service contractors with their own specific house currency.

In any case, no one seems to have any problem accepting payment in one or the other. Does that mean there's a conversion factor to the game's ultimate currency, or that every time you need to pay upkeep, you're covered by whatever service you have currency in, kinda like switching health care providers.
Innovan

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions