Digdoug - Episode 20

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Shai_hulud » Fri May 16, 2014 11:26 pm

My theory is that the Rand system uses a complex web of interlocking auto-payment Signamancy contracts to use "qualified" Signamancers as a distributed, decentralized, living version of a sides treasury, so that people don't have to rely on the Moneymancers for wealth storage.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby CDS » Sat May 17, 2014 12:04 am

In regards to 'DigDoug' being Doves 'mark' is that not potentially simply what Dove may have told people or what people assume rather than assuming the Carnymancer is doing a genuine act of charity. She could be trying to save face with her peers who seem a little cut throat or those peers may simply assume Dove is taking advantage of this unworldly Dirtamancer. The truth being that Dove is showing compassion and that can be seen as a 'weakness' something I am sure she wants to avoid being seen doing.

So far in Dove's defence she hasn't done anything against Homekey and DigDoug (that we have seen) and has attempted to help to the best of her ability. She has saved DigDoug from certain death despite one of the running themes throughout the storyline that Dove is not a rich caster and doesn't help other casters anymore. I mean we could attribute a slew of schemes and plots to her but these all seem beyond her ability which has been shown to be very useful but limited.

Could she be secretly manipulating him? Potentially. However I would hope that while Dove hardens DigDoug to the harsh realities of barbarianism in turn he softens her and makes her a nicer person. That to me would be a more fulfilling story rather than Charlie being behind some grand and elaborate plan to isolate a single Dirtamancer for unknown purposes.
CDS
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Vreejack » Sat May 17, 2014 1:08 am

Sargent and York are also both plumbing manufacturers who make check valves. It was actually the first thing I thought of; I totally missed the "Bewitched" reference despite being quite familiar with that story. Probably because the latter has nothing to do with check valves, I guess.

Anyway, the concept of a "mark" is more important than people seem to realize. To a carny, a mark is a potential victim. It's someone you are trying to scam, which pretty much means anyone who is not a carny. There is a very strong "us vs. them" mentality amongst carnies, exemplified by the carnymancer's rule: "always get paid." They do no favors and make no friends. Everyone they meet who is not a member of their close-knit club is either a mark or an enemy.

In one of the earlier panels, when the fight broke out in Portal Park, one of the carnies shouted, "it's a clem." That is an expression that refers to a fight between the carnies and the townies, which reveals how they think of all the non-carny casters. When you are dealing with a carny, you must think like a lawyer and hope you have covered every possible way they can betray your trust. Actually, if trust is involved then you are doing it wrong.
So...Watashi wa mizugorō ga sukina koto o kiita, neh?
A Prediction is what would have happened had there been no Prediction. What is scary is that they are also what will happen in spite of the Prediction.
User avatar
Vreejack
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Flyer » Sun May 18, 2014 1:58 am

Vreejack -
"Sargent and York are also both plumbing manufacturers who make check valves. It was actually the first thing I thought of; I totally missed the "Bewitched" reference despite being quite familiar with that story. Probably because the latter has nothing to do with check valves, I guess."
--
Had no knowledge of valve manufacturers when I read it but instantly grocked on the http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheOtherDarrin reference - its like the inception of punnery.... Rob is a mofo genius...

also -
"if trust is involved then you are doing it wrong."
Maxim #30 - A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go
Flyer
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Roszlishan » Mon May 19, 2014 12:00 am

Lilwik wrote:... This is exactly the game that Dove was playing. She tells you something that sounds like it means something, but when you try to use it to figure out the abilities of Carnymancy you find that she hasn't really told you anything, and that's how she likes it.


Is it? Although that's possible, isn't it more likely that Carnymancy, being the magic of the rules of Erfworld, is one of the more fiddly disciplines? That is, understanding Carnymancy has to be in the context of the complete Rules of Erfworld, which we -- the readers -- know exist, but do not know well.

It would be hilarious -- to me, at least -- if Dove turns out to have been completely honest about her intentions and actions as a mercenary caster. Nothing in the text to this point suggests otherwise. It's possible that she's dissembling, but the only 'evidence' that she's doing so is that she's a Carnymancer, and therefore has to have an angle beyond the perfectly legitimate reasons and intents she gave Posbrake and Digdoug. She said she was a mercenary caster, she gave her ideas to the best of her ability (and they seemed pretty good). Please note that our inside information on the perfidious and duplicitous Charlie is not shared by all Erfworlders. He has a good reputation. Undeserved, but ... that's something that Dove might not know -- just as the best plans and carnymancy she can provide might not be enough to save the side of Homekey.

Failure can happen without treachery.
Roszlishan
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Lilwik » Mon May 19, 2014 12:38 am

Roszlishan wrote:Although that's possible, isn't it more likely that Carnymancy, being the magic of the rules of Erfworld, is one of the more fiddly disciplines? That is, understanding Carnymancy has to be in the context of the complete Rules of Erfworld, which we -- the readers -- know exist, but do not know well.
I agree that Carnymancy seems like one of the most subtle disciplines of magic. It wouldn't surprise me if we couldn't understand it very well even if there were an honest attempt to explain it to us. Unfortunately we can't know because there hasn't been an honest attempt to explain it to us. On the contrary, Dove explicitly refused to explain Carnymancy in Episode 11. "Okay, you wanna know why people don’t trust Carnies? It’s because we’ve got our secrets. And that’s one of them. Can you respect that, please? One caster to another? It’s just a little trade secret." It looks like Carnymancers like to use Carnymancy to pull tricks on marks and that would be a lot harder if people understood what Carnymancy can really do

Roszlishan wrote:It's possible that she's dissembling, but the only 'evidence' that she's doing so is that she's a Carnymancer, and therefore has to have an angle beyond the perfectly legitimate reasons and intents she gave Posbrake and Digdoug.
My favorite theory used to involve Dove being honest, but this episode puts that into serious doubt. A whole list of chores just to pay off a single Rand seems like pretty serious evidence that Dove is scamming Digdoug, and if she's not honest about that then it throws doubt on everything else. Maybe everything she did in Homekey was aimed at trapping Digdoug in the Magic Kingdom so that he could give her super-cheap Dirtamancy. This episode also reminded us again that we don't really know how much of this is real and how much of it is Carnymancy. "If she was telling the truth, then he actually owed her his life." The story doesn't want to commit to Dove being honest even now.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby ManaCaster » Mon May 19, 2014 3:24 am

Lilwik wrote:
Roszlishan wrote:It's possible that she's dissembling, but the only 'evidence' that she's doing so is that she's a Carnymancer, and therefore has to have an angle beyond the perfectly legitimate reasons and intents she gave Posbrake and Digdoug.
My favorite theory used to involve Dove being honest, but this episode puts that into serious doubt. A whole list of chores just to pay off a single Rand seems like pretty serious evidence that Dove is scamming Digdoug, and if she's not honest about that then it throws doubt on everything else. Maybe everything she did in Homekey was aimed at trapping Digdoug in the Magic Kingdom so that he could give her super-cheap Dirtamancy. This episode also reminded us again that we don't really know how much of this is real and how much of it is Carnymancy. "If she was telling the truth, then he actually owed her his life." The story doesn't want to commit to Dove being honest even now.

And not only that, but she's also the one who recommended Charlie, a fellow Carnymancer, in the first place. If Dove is indeed that tophat Carnymancer who appeared in LIAB, then it would seem she is still working with him, so this was hardly unexpected. This was likely a two man con to begin with.

Sure, it doesn't help their reputation, but there is a reason people do it. We can't all be parasites, but the ones who do fill that niche tend to be quite successful. I guess King Posbrake forgot that there is a reason tradition exists, and it isn't always wrong.
ManaCaster
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Mon May 19, 2014 4:28 am

I find it amusing how so many people seem to believe that when there's an erfworld rules exposition, it's all part of a bluff/conspiracy/web of lies.

Even if that would make it kinda pointless to have a rules exposition in the first place.

Lilwik wrote:
Roszlishan wrote:It's possible that she's dissembling, but the only 'evidence' that she's doing so is that she's a Carnymancer, and therefore has to have an angle beyond the perfectly legitimate reasons and intents she gave Posbrake and Digdoug.
My favorite theory used to involve Dove being honest, but this episode puts that into serious doubt. A whole list of chores just to pay off a single Rand seems like pretty serious evidence that Dove is scamming Digdoug, and if she's not honest about that then it throws doubt on everything else. Maybe everything she did in Homekey was aimed at trapping Digdoug in the Magic Kingdom so that he could give her super-cheap Dirtamancy. This episode also reminded us again that we don't really know how much of this is real and how much of it is Carnymancy. "If she was telling the truth, then he actually owed her his life." The story doesn't want to commit to Dove being honest even now.


I would just like to point out that the rand for upkeep isn't the single thing that Digdoug currently owes Dove for.

Dove also paid the healomancy service for Digdoug out of her own pocket.
And that costs around 20 rands.
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby ManaCaster » Mon May 19, 2014 5:07 am

oslecamo2_temp wrote:I would just like to point out that the rand for upkeep isn't the single thing that Digdoug currently owes Dove for.

Dove also paid the healomancy service for Digdoug out of her own pocket. And that costs around 20 rands.

And I would like to point out that there is more than one factor in play here.

* Dirtamancy is pretty valuable itself. Sizemore became filthy rich charging the minimum costs for his work.
* Marie needed to hire immediate, on the spot healing. It is entirely possible she was offering more rands than normal.
* Dove only hired the Healomancer to perform the minimum needed to bring Digdoug to consciousness.
* The pump fixing is the repayment to the Healomancer. The other chores are presumably for Dove's own Rand.

So the idea that Dove is using him has some validity.
ManaCaster
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Beeskee » Mon May 19, 2014 7:29 am

We'll see whether poor Doug is strung along one Rand at a time or if he has a nice little nest egg after a few turns.

Any attempt on Dove's part to scam Doug is going to be rough considering he can go view the jobs board at any time. It might take him a few turns to think of that though.

The wording in the post is a bit odd, "Dove had said he could work off his Rand by doing some repair work for her." but we know it's more than one Rand, I think it is meant to imply plurality. We know it's 1 Rand for upkeep and then an unknown number of Rands (min 1, max 20?) for healing so he didn't croak at dawn.

Sometimes I wish Rob would give some more solid numbers. :D
User avatar
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby oslecamo2_temp » Mon May 19, 2014 7:55 am

ManaCaster wrote:
oslecamo2_temp wrote:I would just like to point out that the rand for upkeep isn't the single thing that Digdoug currently owes Dove for.

Dove also paid the healomancy service for Digdoug out of her own pocket. And that costs around 20 rands.

And I would like to point out that there is more than one factor in play here.

* Dirtamancy is pretty valuable itself. Sizemore became filthy rich charging the minimum costs for his work.
* Marie needed to hire immediate, on the spot healing. It is entirely possible she was offering more rands than normal.
* Dove only hired the Healomancer to perform the minimum needed to bring Digdoug to consciousness.
* The pump fixing is the repayment to the Healomancer. The other chores are presumably for Dove's own Rand.

So the idea that Dove is using him has some validity.


*Citation needed. Dirmancy is valuable yes, but nobody becomes filthy rich by charging minimum, specially when there's nonzero competition. Sizemore didn't have to pay for his own upkeep, so he could afford to build up rands.
*Dove also needed to pay any urgency tax, plus night work hours. Not to mention dragging Digdoug's incapacitated ass around.
*Why waste money for full heal when Digdoug's gonna get autopatched at dawn anyway?
*Dove and Digdoug's rand you mean. They both have upkeeps to pay.

So all in all, I see it as a mutual benefit relationship. Digdoug has little idea on how the Magic Kingdom works. Dove is showing him the ropes, helping him find work. If she's making rands out of it, I bet she'll be sharing them with Digdoug.

As Beeskee pointed out, it would be kinda hard for Dove to scam Digdoug for any kind of long term. And she'll certainly would rather have him in good terms.

After all, if Digdoug doesn't get a fair share of his work after he paid off his debts, it's only a matter of time until some other mancer comes along and offers a better business proposition. And Dove's not a thinkmancer, so she can't directly brainwash him...

Hmm, now that's a pretty scary tought. No wonder thinkmancers seem to be one of the main MK factions. They can always go "I am the mancer you want to hire for this job, and you want to give me a great tip".
Formerly oslecamo2, unable to acess old acount.
oslecamo2_temp
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Godzfirefly » Mon May 19, 2014 11:44 am

ManaCaster wrote:And not only that, but she's also the one who recommended Charlie, a fellow Carnymancer, in the first place. If Dove is indeed that tophat Carnymancer who appeared in LIAB, then it would seem she is still working with him, so this was hardly unexpected. This was likely a two man con to begin with.


A couple of quick points. (I'm not meaning to call Manacaster out, it's just that this quote represents a thought that more than one person has expressed and which has been bothering me in the back of my mind for several episodes.)

Charlie has been putting massive amounts of effort into hiding that he's a Carnymancer. He has even gone to the point of offering great deals in return for being allowed to contract silence or wipe minds to hide that fact. Is there any reason to believe that even the other Carnymancers know he is one of them? Especially given the Carnymancer code might make such knowledge expensive for Charlie to keep quiet. (Could any of us imagine anything but a non-zero number of Carnymancers trying to sell such valuable information to those who might use it against Charlie?)

Instead, wouldn't it seem more likely that Charlie treats Carnymancers mostly like any other casters, by paying them at need and trusting them with only the minimum information required to do their part of the job? He might be more willing than most to use them, and that might build loyalty to him within their group. But, that's not the same as trusting the Carnies with his darkest secrets.
Godzfirefly
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby ManaCaster » Mon May 19, 2014 1:16 pm

oslecamo2_temp wrote:*Citation needed. Dirmancy is valuable yes, but nobody becomes filthy rich by charging minimum, specially when there's nonzero competition. Sizemore didn't have to pay for his own upkeep, so he could afford to build up rands.
*Dove also needed to pay any urgency tax, plus night work hours. Not to mention dragging Digdoug's incapacitated ass around.
*Why waste money for full heal when Digdoug's gonna get autopatched at dawn anyway?
*Dove and Digdoug's rand you mean. They both have upkeeps to pay.

So all in all, I see it as a mutual benefit relationship. Digdoug has little idea on how the Magic Kingdom works. Dove is showing him the ropes, helping him find work. If she's making rands out of it, I bet she'll be sharing them with Digdoug.

As Beeskee pointed out, it would be kinda hard for Dove to scam Digdoug for any kind of long term. And she'll certainly would rather have him in good terms.

After all, if Digdoug doesn't get a fair share of his work after he paid off his debts, it's only a matter of time until some other mancer comes along and offers a better business proposition. And Dove's not a thinkmancer, so she can't directly brainwash him...

* Fine. Here's your proof: "But though he usually took only the minimum Rands for his services that the other Caster would accept, he couldn't help becoming a filthy rich rock star here. Everyone knew him, or knew of him."
* Dove had until dawn to negotiate with someone she knew, unlike Marie who needed it right now. And anyways, point 4 technically makes this one irrelevant.
* My point was that she probably wouldn't have even even needed to pay full price.
* And how much are two Rands worth? We haven't seen her chores yet, but Digdoug could probably earn 2 Rands in one job.

Yes, it would be difficult to keep Digdoug strung along forever, but she's a Carnymancer, so she'll probably milk everything she can out of him while she can.

As for good terms, that's for squares. There's a reason con men exist. It works. There's a sucker born every minute.

Godzfirefly wrote:A couple of quick points. (I'm not meaning to call Manacaster out, it's just that this quote represents a thought that more than one person has expressed and which has been bothering me in the back of my mind for several episodes.)

Charlie has been putting massive amounts of effort into hiding that he's a Carnymancer. He has even gone to the point of offering great deals in return for being allowed to contract silence or wipe minds to hide that fact. Is there any reason to believe that even the other Carnymancers know he is one of them? Especially given the Carnymancer code might make such knowledge expensive for Charlie to keep quiet. (Could any of us imagine anything but a non-zero number of Carnymancers trying to sell such valuable information to those who might use it against Charlie?)

Instead, wouldn't it seem more likely that Charlie treats Carnymancers mostly like any other casters, by paying them at need and trusting them with only the minimum information required to do their part of the job? He might be more willing than most to use them, and that might build loyalty to him within their group. But, that's not the same as trusting the Carnies with his darkest secrets.

Dove and Charlie both being Carnymancers was being used to support my point, but whether or not she actually knows Charlie is a Carnymancer isn't my actual point.

As to whether or not they do know this, we can't really know for sure, but there are reasons to think he might be willing to make an exception for the Carnymancers.

* Charlie is a Carnymancer himself, so he would have a good affinity with them.
* Carnymancy supposedly offers the power to fight Fate, and there is a lot of speculation on this being Charlie's main motive.
* Charlie handed Jojo a particularly powerful Carnymancy scroll, which would probably give a fellow Carnymancer a pretty good clue as to his own discipline.
ManaCaster
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Godzfirefly » Mon May 19, 2014 2:05 pm

ManaCaster wrote:Dove and Charlie both being Carnymancers was being used to support my point, but whether or not she actually knows Charlie is a Carnymancer isn't my actual point.


Like I tried expressing, I wasn't trying to refute your point. I just used a small cut of your post as the starting point for making my own separate point, which your post and several other posts had built in my mind. Sorry for the confusion.
Godzfirefly
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Lilwik » Mon May 19, 2014 3:06 pm

ManaCaster wrote:Charlie is a Carnymancer himself, so he would have a good affinity with them.
I agree. I don't have any real evidence, but I suspect that Carnymancers don't sell each other out to the marks.

ManaCaster wrote:Carnymancy supposedly offers the power to fight Fate, and there is a lot of speculation on this being Charlie's main motive.
There's no real evidence for that speculation. All we really know is that Charlie is fighting the enemy that he considers the only enemy worth fighting. The identity of that enemy is a complete mystery.

Can Carnymancy really fight Fate? I don't know. I trust what has been said about Carnymancy less than ever since I've been reading Digdoug. Was Dove's big show about how Carnymancy breaks rules even true? She went to great effort to make the point with the entire card game, but when Digdoug saw that she was tricking the Moneymancer and asked her what rule she was breaking there, Dove couldn't tell him. (Digdoug11) It should have been a very easy question since all she had to do was explain a rule of Erfworld to an Erfworlder. Why would that be secret? The only explanation I can see is that it has nothing to do with breaking rules and Dove couldn't tell Digdoug because the answer would reveal the true nature of Carnymancy. If Dove lies about the nature of Carnymancy, then it's surely a secret from the marks. Sizemore might not know it and Jojo might be lying too, just telling a little story about ships and wind that Jojo thought Parson might buy because Jojo knows that Parson doesn't understand what Carnymancy really does.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby ManaCaster » Mon May 19, 2014 3:58 pm

Lilwik wrote:
ManaCaster wrote:Carnymancy supposedly offers the power to fight Fate, and there is a lot of speculation on this being Charlie's main motive.
There's no real evidence for that speculation. All we really know is that Charlie is fighting the enemy that he considers the only enemy worth fighting. The identity of that enemy is a complete mystery.

Ok, fine, Charlie isn't fighting "Fate". He's fighting whatever weird thingy Sylvia got entangled with that is merely very similar to Fate. That better? We've got plenty of evidence for that much at least.

Lilwik wrote:Can Carnymancy really fight Fate? I don't know. I trust what has been said about Carnymancy less than ever since I've been reading Digdoug.

That's what it's advertised as being able to do, whether it's true or not.

Lilwik wrote:Was Dove's big show about how Carnymancy breaks rules even true? She went to great effort to make the point with the entire card game, but when Digdoug saw that she was tricking the Moneymancer and asked her what rule she was breaking there, Dove couldn't tell him. (Digdoug11) It should have been a very easy question since all she had to do was explain a rule of Erfworld to an Erfworlder. Why would that be secret? The only explanation I can see is that it has nothing to do with breaking rules and Dove couldn't tell Digdoug because the answer would reveal the true nature of Carnymancy. If Dove lies about the nature of Carnymancy, then it's surely a secret from the marks. Sizemore might not know it and Jojo might be lying too, just telling a little story about ships and wind that Jojo thought Parson might buy because Jojo knows that Parson doesn't understand what Carnymancy really does.

Dove was definitely hiding stuff, but I am reasonably confident she was being truthful about Carnymancy altering the rules. It fits with what we've seen.
ManaCaster
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby ManaCaster » Mon May 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Lilwik wrote:Was Dove's big show about how Carnymancy breaks rules even true? She went to great effort to make the point with the entire card game, but when Digdoug saw that she was tricking the Moneymancer and asked her what rule she was breaking there, Dove couldn't tell him. (Digdoug11) It should have been a very easy question since all she had to do was explain a rule of Erfworld to an Erfworlder. Why would that be secret? The only explanation I can see is that it has nothing to do with breaking rules and Dove couldn't tell Digdoug because the answer would reveal the true nature of Carnymancy. If Dove lies about the nature of Carnymancy, then it's surely a secret from the marks. Sizemore might not know it and Jojo might be lying too, just telling a little story about ships and wind that Jojo thought Parson might buy because Jojo knows that Parson doesn't understand what Carnymancy really does.

As to cooking the books, I'm guessing the rule she broke wasn't a rule of Erfworld per se. More like a rule of the mental models people use to describe the world to ourselves. Dove mentioned a link between Carnymancy and Signamancy, and this is probably where it is. My speculation would be, she tricked the Moneymancer into accepting an innaccurate world view, thus causing him to fail to notice the discrepancy in Homekey's ledgers.

As an oversimplified example, a Carnymancer answers a simple math question: 1+0=0. She tricks the Mathamancer into accepting the answer by making him ignore the basic rules of math with other distractions, or by convincing him that 1=0, at least while he's grading her answer.

It's pretty obvious why she wouldn't want to share such a thing with Digdoug. If he figures out that she operates by feeding inaccurate world views, it becomes easier for marks to detect when they are being scammed. For example, right now, he is harboring the view that he is reliant on Dove to survive. He hasn't received conflicting information on just how valuable Dirtamancy is just yet.
ManaCaster
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Lilwik » Mon May 19, 2014 4:53 pm

ManaCaster wrote:He's fighting whatever weird thingy Sylvia got entangled with that is merely very similar to Fate. That better? We've got plenty of evidence for that much at least.
Can anyone remember where we've seen some of that evidence? I'm very curious to know more details about this. I thought the thing that Sylvia got entangled with was Carnymancy.

ManaCaster wrote:Dove was definitely hiding stuff, but I am reasonably confident she was being truthful about Carnymancy altering the rules. It fits with what we've seen.
What do you mean, specifically? As far as I remember, these are all we've seen of Carnymancy:
  • Sylvia being saved from croaking while incapacitated in Unaroyal (B2P86)
  • The arrow deflected from Sylvia (B2T51)
  • The arrows shattering against Posbrake (Episode 18)
  • The scroll that Parson tried to use (B2T59)
  • Charlie saving himself from poisoning (B0E68)
All of that could be a matter of breaking rules, but you can do anything by breaking rules. Break enough rules and raisins will turn into dancing unicorns. I just don't see anything in any of that which suggests breaking rules. I see quite a bit of healing and protective magic, and we can even include Parson's scroll if we called Carnymancy the magic of restoring people to their natural states. I'm not saying that is what Carnymancy is (I suspect it's just a coincidence) but it fits what we've seen far closer than breaking rules, and I don't trust Dove to be honest about what Carnymancy can do.
Lilwik
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Lamech » Mon May 19, 2014 5:04 pm

oslecamo2_temp wrote:I would just like to point out that the rand for upkeep isn't the single thing that Digdoug currently owes Dove for.

Dove also paid the healomancy service for Digdoug out of her own pocket.
And that costs around 20 rands.
Dove paid for the healomancy by promising that Digdoug would repair the pump for the Doc's use. Not her own pocket. And the pump is something she and the rest of the Carnies would also get use out of, so they should presumably pay Digdoug something too if they want to use it. Even if we let Dove and everyone else get off scott free, Digdoug still only owes a rand.

We technically don't know if Doug will get a fair wage or not, but it sounds an awful lot like a scam. Keep Digdoug always desperate for that rand so he doesn't disband.
Lamech
 
Posts: 1450
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 20

Postby Lipkin » Mon May 19, 2014 5:14 pm

I still like the idea that what Carnies are really breaking is the fourth wall. Their abilities give them some amount of medium awareness, cluing them in that they are really putting on a show for us, the readers. Because they know this, they are able to sometimes break from the script, doing things that should be impossible. Signamancers also have some measure of medium awareness, but their powers don't break rules, instead they add to the narrative.They see how the pieces fit together, and are able to use that understanding to alter the themes.


Completely unfounded by anything in the text, mind. The it's meta enough to amuse me. It's kind of Matrix meets Tron...ish.
User avatar
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Azukar and 11 guests