Page by page discussion of the comic.

Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby balder » Fri May 30, 2014 12:53 pm

New One is up.
balder

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby DolGrenn » Fri May 30, 2014 6:09 pm

Wow, talk about impossible odds.
A lone Dirtamancer against Charlie? That's like trying to successfully maneuver an asteroid field.

Also, who else thinks Digdoug will get his own side?
DolGrenn

Postby Radagast » Fri May 30, 2014 6:10 pm

Wait... Posbreak knew the whole time he was going to die?
Radagast

Postby Whispri » Fri May 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Radagast wrote:Wait... Posbreak knew the whole time he was going to die?

We never did find out precisely what it was the Predictamancer told him.
Whispri
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Xellos » Fri May 30, 2014 6:21 pm

Whispri wrote:
Radagast wrote:Wait... Posbreak knew the whole time he was going to die?

We never did find out precisely what it was the Predictamancer told him.

But it was implied, heavily. Posbrake did hire a predictamancer before (who knows if it wasn't this one, even), so he'd have an easy way of knowing.

DolGrenn wrote:Wow, talk about impossible odds.
A lone Dirtamancer against Charlie? That's like trying to successfully maneuver an asteroid field.

Also, who else thinks Digdoug will get his own side?

One brave madman, that's for sure. What else does he have left now, other than revenge? But he might not be alone, depending on when this story takes place :D

Yeah, Digdoug will probably become a ruler. Maybe even at Homekey's capital site...
Xellos

Postby Berserkas » Fri May 30, 2014 6:26 pm

That's a lot of foreshadowing of badassery and asskicking. I like.
Berserkas

Postby 0beron » Fri May 30, 2014 6:27 pm

Interesting.....the phrase "I so Predict it" was missing. Until now we've speculated that statement accompanies all real Predictions, so time will not tell us whether we were mistaken...
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby ManaCaster » Fri May 30, 2014 6:35 pm

Charlie told Parson he doesn't switch sides in the middle of a conflict to protect his reputation. And yet here, he did that multiple times. Was he just trying to give Parson a reasonable sounding excuse?

I wonder if Charlie croaked Posbrake for more than just the schmuckers. Maybe it's even the same reason he chose to make Parson an enemy. Maybe it's because Posbrake was so unconventional.
The distinctly stylized but orderly pattern of six little squares in this ring was all that remained of Posbrake’s extraordinary mind. Not the city, not the side he’d built... Erfworld had lost something grand. The world had lost a Ruler who could have changed things for good.

If Charlie is trying to fight Fate, then he can't risk leaving any catalysts for change lying around.
ManaCaster

Postby Lipkin » Fri May 30, 2014 6:55 pm

So, Carniac was pretty obviously the predictamancer that had dealings with Posbrake, right? And then he's waiting for Doug, gives him hope that he may get his revenge, and takes from him the quickest means Doug had to kill himself.

Am I the only one getting an Avengers Assemble feel to these stories? The story of Lord Crush shows creative thinkers finding a way to make alliances work. Digdoug shows a caster with a beef against Charlie and a prediction that the ring will once more belong to a ruler. Both are reasonable future allies of Gobwin Knob. You've even got Dove, who doesn't want to work for Charlie, but is in with the Carnies and would make an excellent mole.

It would be really cool if rather than just expanding the world, these stories were being set up for integration. Like all of the Marvel movies leading up into the Avengers.

Anyway, excellent capper to a captivating story.
Last edited by Lipkin on Fri May 30, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Fri May 30, 2014 6:56 pm

I really believed that we would get answers very soon, but suddenly it seems that this story is an exercise in toying with the audience, leading us on with a trail of clues that don't take us to answers but that only take us deeper into a forest of questions. If Posbrake knew that he was going to die, then what was his real goal? Posbrake must have known that Charlie would do a double-cross; that is why Posbrake was so eager to be attacked during the fake battle, but now it seems that Posbrake also knew that he was going to die, so surely this whole thing was about accomplishing something other than saving Homekey. But what could Posbrake want other than saving Homekey?

I think we've just learned that Predictamancers can see the past as well as the future. They were already amazingly useful casters, and they keep getting better.
Lilwik

Postby The_Rats » Fri May 30, 2014 7:05 pm

how many dicipline have their own corner or the magic kingdom so far?
We got the Temple of the Thinkamancers,
the Carnyvale
the Hippymancer's glade
now the DIrtamansion
The_Rats
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby The_Rats » Fri May 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Lilwik wrote:If Posbrake knew that he was going to die, then what was his real goal? Posbrake must have known that Charlie would do a double-cross; that is why Posbrake was so eager to be attacked during the fake battle, but now it seems that Posbrake also knew that he was going to die, so surely this whole thing was about accomplishing something other than saving Homekey. But what could Posbrake want other than saving Homekey?

well, he 'knew' he was gonna get hit hard, and possibly die, he knew cuz of the prediction,but it's no reason to just roll over and die. The whole reason he took the gambit of hiring a Carnymancer was expressly to try to cheat fate. Obviously it didn't work out, but he had to try
The_Rats
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zain » Fri May 30, 2014 7:17 pm

The_Rats wrote:how many dicipline have their own corner or the magic kingdom so far?
We got the Temple of the Thinkamancers,
the Carnyvale
the Hippymancer's glade
now the DIrtamansion

Well, we know from a early shot of the Magic Kingdom that extending from Portal Park in the center are 8 differently colored segments of the island. That same shot also shows structures, roughly in the middle of each segment, that seem about half as large as Portal Park. Based on combinations and lack thereof of the Elements of Life Motion and Matter, we know there's 8 overall classes of magic, subdivided into 3 schools each based on Erf Numbers and Fate. It's likely each set of 3 schools within a class share a Segment of the MK.

Each one probably has numerous substructures throughout, the Temple of the Thinkamancers is almost exclusively ran by the Great Minds who Think Alike, but there's most likely Thinkamancers in the MK who do not have permission to enter. They likely however exist somewhere in the same segment of the MK that the Temple is in, just not in the same vicinity.

The Carnyvale seems to be home to all Carnymancers, as well as rejects of other schools, but within their overall magic class there's also Hat Magicians and Rhyme-O-Mancers, and we know Hat Magicians at the very least are well earned and respected, and likely wouldn't live in the Carnyvale. So they've probably got their own bit of land somewhere else in the same color-segment.

It's not confirmed of course, and may not be as cut-and-dry as that, but the 8 for 8 setup seems easy enough to work around. I'd wager every school of magic has their own "capital" or "base" where majority of their barbarians of similar magic resides, along with more meshed together living quarters closer to Portal Park, or perhaps even a hermit here or there strewn throughout the woods.

(As an aside, I'd think it perfectly wonderful and morbid if the Croakamancer's special zone was just a stones throw from the Short Pier. If such a place exists. May not even be enough Barbarian Croakamancers to ever congregate anyway so who knows.)
Zain

Postby Lipkin » Fri May 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Lilwik wrote:I really believed that we would get answers very soon, but suddenly it seems that this story is an exercise in toying with the audience, leading us on with a trail of clues that don't take us to answers but that only take us deeper into a forest of questions. If Posbrake knew that he was going to die, then what was his real goal? Posbrake must have known that Charlie would do a double-cross; that is why Posbrake was so eager to be attacked during the fake battle, but now it seems that Posbrake also knew that he was going to die, so surely this whole thing was about accomplishing something other than saving Homekey. But what could Posbrake want other than saving Homekey?

I think we've just learned that Predictamancers can see the past as well as the future. They were already amazingly useful casters, and they keep getting better.

I think you are on the wrong track about most things here.

We know Posbrake met with a Predictamancer. Is it such a leap to think that that predictamancer was Carniac? He had already predicted these things would happen, then they happened. He wasn't seeing the past. He was seeing the future, and then the future arrived.

I think Posbrake's motivation was revenge. Every speaking unit at Weathertop was fated to be killed. Digdoug didn't need to be there, so they withdrew him,and he lived. The side of Homekey was fated to end, but Digdoug didn't need to end with it, so he was ordered to the Magic Kingdom. Digdoug lives, and so does the hope that the Homekey way of life will live on. I think this story was about Posbrake giving Digdoug and Dove the tools and motivation to get revenge upon Charlie, Delkey, and possibly Numloch. Doug made connections with people, only to have them betrayed and murdered. Dove was treated with kindness and respect, only to have it fall apart.

Carniac was one of the Predictamancers who came to aide Parson in the Magic Kingdom. He knows about the fates tied to Parson. It's unclear of where this story takes place chronologically, but it's not a stretch that Carniac is laying foundation for Charlie's downfall. If Posbrake doesn't "try to fight fate," Dove isn't hired. Then Dove doesn't see how good it could be, doesn't have cause to turn against Charlie.

Posbrake has given his death meaning, rather than letting it be wasted. Unless he tried cheating fate again. If his side was fated to end, he may have ordered Digdoug through the portal and then turned Barbarian. The side ends, but Posbrake lives.
Lipkin

Postby Lilwik » Fri May 30, 2014 7:42 pm

The_Rats wrote:well, he 'knew' he was gonna get hit hard, and possibly die, he knew cuz of the prediction,but it's no reason to just roll over and die.
That doesn't sound right. "Your side just fell to foul treachery. A mercenary. A double cross. Brother against brother. Very grim, yes. But your King knew all along. This was his story, not yours, you see. And he knew his play was a tragedy."Getting hit hard and surviving is not a tragedy. In fact, it seems that Posbrake's death must have been Predicted all along and he chose not to tell Digdoug. I'm also pretty sure that Posbrake was too clever to make the same mistake that Wanda did and fail to understand that Predictions are inevitable until it is too late. So I'd be surprised if Posbrake was trying to save himself, though I still have no alternative explanation for Posbrake's actions.

The_Rats wrote:The whole reason he took the gambit of hiring a Carnymancer was expressly to try to cheat fate. Obviously it didn't work out, but he had to try
If he knew he was going to die then he should have made the best of his situation. He certainly did not have to waste he final turns trying to avoid his own death. He might have been trying to set up Charlie for revenge somehow, but I can't see how that could work. Could it be possible that Dove is still part of Posbrake's plan and is just trying to keep Digdoug out of it? These last episodes have made me believe that Dove has been honest this whole time, but if so then how can Posbrake possibly have a plan that continues to play out after his own death?

Lipkin wrote:I think this story was about Posbrake giving Digdoug and Dove the tools and motivation to get revenge upon Charlie, Delkey, and possibly Numloch.
If Posbrake was doing that, then why didn't he tell Digdoug about it? It seems pointless to leave Digdoug aimless and alone and hope that he does the right thing. Digdoug was even suicidal for a little while, and Dove just did everything she could to stop Digdoug from taking revenge. This seems like a very poorly coordinated revenge plan. It seems that once again Digdoug is on the edges of the story looking in. I doubt he is part of Posbrake's plan at all and Posbrake only sent Digdoug into the Magic Kingdom because there was no reason for Digdoug to die.
Lilwik

Postby Lipkin » Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Lilwik wrote:
Lipkin wrote:I think this story was about Posbrake giving Digdoug and Dove the tools and motivation to get revenge upon Charlie, Delkey, and possibly Numloch.
If Posbrake was doing that, then why didn't he tell Digdoug about it? It seems pointless to leave Digdoug aimless and alone and hope that he does the right thing. Digdoug was even suicidal for a little while, and Dove just did everything she could to stop Digdoug from taking revenge. This seems like a very poorly coordinated revenge plan. It seems that once again Digdoug is on the edges of the story looking in. I doubt he is part of Posbrake's plan at all and Posbrake only sent Digdoug into the Magic Kingdom because there was no reason for Digdoug to die.

He didn't tell Digdoug for the same reason he didn't tell him that Weatherbug was doomed. Doing so would alter Digdoug's behavior. If Doug had known about Weatherbug, he would have tried to change things, and that could have screwed everything up, or lead to Digdoug's death.

And Posbrake wasn't just hoping Digdoug would stay on target, and Digdoug isn't alone. The answer to both those concerns is Carniac. Carniac is waiting for Digdoug, and takes the poison away from him. He gives him hope that revenge is within his means, and that Digdoug will one day belong to a side again. When you've got a Predictamancer to make plans with, you can make moves you otherwise wouldn't.

It's all part of the larger conspiracy being put into place by the Predictamancers.
Lipkin

Postby Lilwik » Fri May 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Lipkin wrote:It's all part of the larger conspiracy being put into place by the Predictamancers.
If that theory is true then it would explain why Posbrake was so eager to have Charlie betray Homekey on top of the tower during the fake battle. It could have been just the shmuckers, but it could also be that Posbrake wanted Digdoug to see Charlie's betrayal at a time and place where it would do nothing to hurt Homekey but would be a huge blow to Digdoug's opinion of Charlie.
Lilwik

Postby Lipkin » Fri May 30, 2014 8:30 pm

It also explains why Posbrake traded the heir for a caster. If the side is fated to end, what's the point of having an heir that will just die anyway? Better to trade for a unit that will live on after the side has gone.
Lipkin

Postby Omnimancer » Fri May 30, 2014 10:10 pm

Lilwik wrote:I think we've just learned that Predictamancers can see the past as well as the future. They were already amazingly useful casters, and they keep getting better.

Well, I suppose you need to know a unit's past to understand it's future. Without context nothing would make sense.

And it was nice of Carniac to take away that poison as "payment", when he was really just removing the temptation of alcoholism. The "trade" is taking away suicide and giving Digdoug his revenge.
Omnimancer
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Godzfirefly » Fri May 30, 2014 10:13 pm

Omnimancer wrote:The "trade" is taking away suicide and giving Digdoug his revenge.

I'd have said it gave Digdoug hope.
Godzfirefly

Next

Return to Reactions