Digdoug - Episode 22

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby cheeseaholic » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:09 am

0beron wrote:
arbo wrote:
0beron wrote:(...) Sizemore (...) is deep down a rather selfish person with a pretty narrow world-view.
Evidence please?
The entirety of the comic. EVERYTHING he does has an undertone of "this is about me" angst to it, especially in Book 2. Killing is a perfectly normal part of Erfworld, unless he's the one doing it. Parson's strange tactics are fine, until it costs Sizemore his popularity. Golems are fine, until he has to see them in action.
He is by no means a malicious person; merely extremely sheltered, naive, and immature. It's part of the whole comic theme, that neither side of the conflict are in any way really decent people. Though GK looks like the Bad Guys (tm) and the RCC looks like the Good Guys (tm), all individuals on both sides have striking personality flaws.


What's an example of something that you think a good person would have done in some of those situations that Sizemore didn't do? Not something specifically that Sizemore should have done, but I'm really not seeing any reasonable and believable alternatives to the way that Sizemore acted. Disobey orders and get disbanded? Or do you mean you think he's a bad person because of his thoughts, not his actions?

The world won't let most people be truely good if they wish to survive.
cheeseaholic
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby GWvsJohn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:15 am

It's not that Sizemore isn't a good person, it's that he's only concerned with himself. He's more upset that Parson forced him to kill not that Parson causes death. He's more upset at what GKs actions have on his reputation in the MK than at what they mean for the wider world. He seems perfectly content to let Erfworld stay the same as long as he gets to keep his hands clean and have his fun in the MK.
Last edited by GWvsJohn on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby 0beron » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:18 am

^Exactly, GW nailed it. Thanks.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
User avatar
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm
Location: Morlock Wells

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby multilis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:01 pm

In "Stupidworld", most people here able to chat on internet have surplus of money just like Sizemore has rands. There exist people in "Stupidworld" who do not have enough to eat, may starve to death. Those calling Sizemore hypocritical for not giving all his rands to save people from starving should perhaps look if they give all their surplus money to charities to help save people from starving.

(In both worlds also exist risk of people pretending to be starving on order to make a good income from those who donate to the less fortunate, and people who could get a job and earn own income but prefer to beg) I am starving, plz help, send money to hungryWith99ChildrenToFeed@paypal.com, thank you and god and evolution bless you! Only $100 a day needed to keep me and my 99 children alive!

One other factor is "hopeless"... Dove saw some people as forever starving to death, donating money would only delay things, not save them. Wars on other hand often kill people who would not otherwise starve to death if not given donations every day. Dove was willing to help people who could pay her back.
Last edited by multilis on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multilis
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby GWvsJohn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:54 pm

multilis wrote:In "Stupidworld", most people here able to chat on internet have surplus of money just like Sizemore has rands. There exist people in "Stupidworld" who do not have enough to eat, may starve to death. Those calling Sizemore hypocritical for not giving all his rands to save people from starving should perhaps look if they give all their surplus money to charities to help save people from starving.

(In both worlds also exist risk of people pretending to be starving on order to make a good income from those who donate to the less fortunate, and people who could get a job and earn own income but prefer to beg) I am starving, plz help, send money to hungryWith99ChildrenToFeed@paypal.com, thank you and god and evolution bless you! Only $100 a day needed to keep me and my 99 children alive!

One other factor is "hopeless"... Dove saw some people as forever starving to death, donating money would only delay things, not save them. Wars on other hand often kill people who would not otherwise starve to death if not given donations every day. Dove was willing to help people who could pay her back.


It's a little different. At the Short Pier, the Casters will literally die tomorrow if you don't help them. And if you give them 1 Rand, they can only use it so survive.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby arbo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:25 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:It's not that Sizemore isn't a good person, it's that he's only concerned with himself.


No evidence in the comic to support that.

GWvsJohn wrote:He's more upset that Parson forced him to kill not that Parson causes death.


No evidence in the comic to support that.

GWvsJohn wrote:He's more upset at what GKs actions have on his reputation in the MK than at what they mean for the wider world.


No evidence in the comic to support that.

Canon evidence (from the Erfabet book) to counter the claim that Sizemore is selfish:

"S is for Sizemore, who digs in the dirt.
He is gentle, and hates to see anyone hurt."

GWvsJohn wrote:He seems perfectly content to let Erfworld stay the same as long as he gets to keep his hands clean and have his fun in the MK.


Now you're just being mean. That sounds just like some trolls who would say most of us are selfish, because we seem perfectly content to let Real World stay the same as long as we get to keep our hands clean and have our fun in the Internet.

Sizemore dislikes killing other people. His depression and anger when he's forced to do it are very real. That's by definition the very opposite of selfish. All of Erfworld is more selfish than that.

You'd say he's selfish because he wants to act all different, instead of swallowing his pride and doing the same fighting as everyone else? That's bigotry. Everyone else worships fighting. He's a minority peaceful spirit in a war-oriented world -- that's free thinking, not selfishness. Were women in the 50's who wanted to be independent, selfish? Social misfits who want to play board games instead of sports, selfish?

You'd say he's selfish because he hasn't turned to political activism for peace in Erfworld like some of his peers? Bear in mind he's not a barbarian. He would literally die if he disobeyed his orders to fight, kill or break MK neutrality. At least he gets to voice his dissent to Parson. If he did the same to Stanley he'd be disbanded on the spot. It's a hard life, for one who loathes conflict but belongs to a side. Not much different from some Real World cultures, I suppose.

Sizemore may have lots of personality flaws... a narrow world view (I prefer "naiveté", and he's learning fast)... but not selfishness. He may not be a Hero™ or a Badass™, but there should be no doubt he is a Good Guy™.
“Run this same calculation ten times in a row. Go.”
User avatar
arbo
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: Recife, Brazil

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby GWvsJohn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:44 pm

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F102.jpg "I've tasted it, Warlord. And I don't like it. You can't release me from that, can you?" Doesn't give a crap (pun intended) about the plan, just that he has to take part in it.

http://www.erfworld.com/2013/11/epilogu ... -sizemore/ "I can't be what I was here before.... Everyone here was my friend. Now I'm nothing. It's over." Sizemore feigns concern over what Parsonhas done then reveals why he's upset. Because he's not cool anymore.

Sizemore can be a good guy and also be selfish. That's probably how the majority of the people in Stupidworld are.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby CarniDollMancer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:09 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:Sizemore can be a good guy and also be selfish. That's probably how the majority of the people in Stupidworld are.


I would say if you take the 'probably' out of that sentence then it is accurate. Sure, sometimes people are altruistic, but even that is usually only a front to cover that they are gaining something (respect, friendship, etc.) that they need. Evolutionarily, we are programmed to worry about our self before others (exceptions to this rule exist, even abound, do not get me wrong) and that is how we survive. If you legitimately worry about others first, and do not think about yourself, you will be removed from the gene pool. If you are not being selfish, you will not seek a mate. If you are not being selfish, you will always give everything you can to others, which will lead to starvation.

I agree that Sizemore is selfish, and I know that applying terms like 'humanity' to Erfworld is a bad idea, but I would say that it is Sizemore's selfishness that humanizes him. It makes him more real than a complete altruist would ever be. He has to care about how the situation has an effect on him to make him someone readers can relate to. I also think that Sizemore is getting dangerously close to turning from GK. I think at this point he is about as low-loyalty a unit as we have seen, and I think that maybe rather than calling him selfish, it is better to say that he has a higher than Erf-normal loyalty to his self.
"To have talent is to be in demand, I well know... The talent itself supplies the demand." - The late, great Jack Snipe the Fool(amancer)
User avatar
CarniDollMancer
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:40 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby GWvsJohn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:12 pm

CarniDollMancer wrote: I also think that Sizemore is getting dangerously close to turning from GK. I think at this point he is about as low-loyalty a unit as we have seen, and I think that maybe rather than calling him selfish, it is better to say that he has a higher than Erf-normal loyalty to his self.


Where is he going to turn? In Parson, he had a leader who can at least comprehend the possibility of a world without constant war. I doubt there are many other sides with that potential.
GWvsJohn
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby CarniDollMancer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:22 pm

Would it be possible for him to go Barbarian by choice? Also, I am not saying I think this is going to happen. I just think that is where Sizemore's head is at. I think something will happen to boost that Loyalty score again (probably directly related to the fact that Parson can conceive of a world without war, and maybe related to Janis), but right now I think he is on the fence as to whether this is a side worth serving with Parson at the helm. He is having a crisis of conscience about whether Parson is doing things wrongly, especially with the breaking of the MK.
"To have talent is to be in demand, I well know... The talent itself supplies the demand." - The late, great Jack Snipe the Fool(amancer)
User avatar
CarniDollMancer
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:40 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby ManaCaster » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:56 pm

CarniDollMancer wrote:I also think that Sizemore is getting dangerously close to turning from GK. I think at this point he is about as low-loyalty a unit as we have seen, and I think that maybe rather than calling him selfish, it is better to say that he has a higher than Erf-normal loyalty to his self.

And where would he turn to? Gobwin Knob's enemies aren't going to take him in just because he left them. The only place he would have to go to is Janis, and Sizemore probably knows she would be disappointed in him.
ManaCaster
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:06 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby The_Rats » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:05 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:It's not that Sizemore isn't a good person, it's that he's only concerned with himself. He's more upset that Parson forced him to kill not that Parson causes death. He's more upset at what GKs actions have on his reputation in the MK than at what they mean for the wider world. He seems perfectly content to let Erfworld stay the same as long as he gets to keep his hands clean and have his fun in the MK.


you mean like we are only concerned with ourselves. And we're perfectly fine with our soldiers waging wars in other countries as long it's not at home and messing with our daily lives and we ourself have no part to take in it?

and considering ourselves good people while we waste time and money on entertainment while we also could literally save someone's life by giving a monthly amount of money, ya know like if ya gave a rand each turn, give 20$ a month. and we know we almost all could afford 20$ a month, don'T BS me you could not, cuz ud have to cut cable to a less expensive plan and ya don't wanna.

the MK is not at war (yet) and I too would totally preffer to be in good standing to people in the only place I'll have refuge too if I went barbarian. maybe not be able to keep the peace in the rest of Erfworld, but at least take a part in the peace of the MK. Many friend caster would also be in danger, he'd have to fight friends and kill even. so yeah he's upset about his reputation... as the cherry on top of all the other reasons he aint happy with an army strutting around in the MK.

also he'S not a leader, taking care of himself and following order is as good you gonna get from him. He's more akin to someone forced to enroll in the army in time of wars.
The_Rats
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:37 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby Lipkin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:11 pm

arbo wrote:
GWvsJohn wrote:It's not that Sizemore isn't a good person, it's that he's only concerned with himself.


No evidence in the comic to support that.

GWvsJohn wrote:He's more upset that Parson forced him to kill not that Parson causes death.


No evidence in the comic to support that.

GWvsJohn wrote:He's more upset at what GKs actions have on his reputation in the MK than at what they mean for the wider world.


No evidence in the comic to support that.

Canon evidence (from the Erfabet book) to counter the claim that Sizemore is selfish:

"S is for Sizemore, who digs in the dirt.
He is gentle, and hates to see anyone hurt."

GWvsJohn wrote:He seems perfectly content to let Erfworld stay the same as long as he gets to keep his hands clean and have his fun in the MK.


Now you're just being mean. That sounds just like some trolls who would say most of us are selfish, because we seem perfectly content to let Real World stay the same as long as we get to keep our hands clean and have our fun in the Internet.

Sizemore dislikes killing other people. His depression and anger when he's forced to do it are very real. That's by definition the very opposite of selfish. All of Erfworld is more selfish than that.

You'd say he's selfish because he wants to act all different, instead of swallowing his pride and doing the same fighting as everyone else? That's bigotry. Everyone else worships fighting. He's a minority peaceful spirit in a war-oriented world -- that's free thinking, not selfishness. Were women in the 50's who wanted to be independent, selfish? Social misfits who want to play board games instead of sports, selfish?

You'd say he's selfish because he hasn't turned to political activism for peace in Erfworld like some of his peers? Bear in mind he's not a barbarian. He would literally die if he disobeyed his orders to fight, kill or break MK neutrality. At least he gets to voice his dissent to Parson. If he did the same to Stanley he'd be disbanded on the spot. It's a hard life, for one who loathes conflict but belongs to a side. Not much different from some Real World cultures, I suppose.

Sizemore may have lots of personality flaws... a narrow world view (I prefer "naiveté", and he's learning fast)... but not selfishness. He may not be a Hero™ or a Badass™, but there should be no doubt he is a Good Guy™.

I'm siding with GW here. I see plenty of evidence for his statements.

Sizemore's complaint wasn't "The Magic Kingdom was a sanctuary for casters, free of war." It was "Everyone used to be my friend here, and now my reputation is ruined." He hates Parson for making him kill, yet Parson had nothing to do with it. He belonged to a side that was being attacked. Kill, be killed, or abandon the side and go barbarian. He was content to make Craps, never mind that those golems would then go on to kill. He was already a killer, he was just fooling himself.

He actually shares a similarity to Parson in that way. Parson wanted to stay out of the fighting in the Summer updates, yet he helped Stanley get more Dwagons, directly contributing to the war.
User avatar
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby multilis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:46 pm

GWvsJohn wrote:
multilis wrote:In "Stupidworld", most people here able to chat on internet have surplus of money just like Sizemore has rands. There exist people in "Stupidworld" who do not have enough to eat, may starve to death. Those calling Sizemore hypocritical for not giving all his rands to save people from starving should perhaps look if they give all their surplus money to charities to help save people from starving.

(In both worlds also exist risk of people pretending to be starving on order to make a good income from those who donate to the less fortunate, and people who could get a job and earn own income but prefer to beg) I am starving, plz help, send money to hungryWith99ChildrenToFeed@paypal.com, thank you and god and evolution bless you! Only $100 a day needed to keep me and my 99 children alive!

One other factor is "hopeless"... Dove saw some people as forever starving to death, donating money would only delay things, not save them. Wars on other hand often kill people who would not otherwise starve to death if not given donations every day. Dove was willing to help people who could pay her back.


It's a little different. At the Short Pier, the Casters will literally die tomorrow if you don't help them. And if you give them 1 Rand, they can only use it so survive.

I am standing at Short Pier right now in Stupid world, with my 99 children. Please send 1 dollar for me and one for each of my 99 children. If you don't we will literally die tomorrow, the nigerian militia guy with big gun will shoot us each in head rather than give us enough to eat today. Thank you very much. If you only can send $10 that is ok, you will still save me and 9 children, better than nothing. Paypal is standing by. If you need further proof I can write this in all caps.

(In our world, people may literally starve to death if they don't get food, medicine, etc each day as aid, and others are scammers. Easy for scammers to exist in Erfworld waiting at Short Pier. If it was easy to get rands at the Short Pier, then probably majority there would be scammers... you can collect an extra rand at pier while also making scrolls that day for selling. Even if some way to detect how many rands someone else has, that can be fooled by having a secret trusted ally.)

Even if a certain charity in our world could prove beyond reasonable doubt (which is more than Sizemore has to go on as scams in erfworld) that every donation of $10 would save average of at least one life for 1 day tomorrow, most people would not send all their surplus money.
Last edited by multilis on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 10 times in total.
multilis
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby CarniDollMancer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:51 pm

ManaCaster wrote:And where would he turn to? Gobwin Knob's enemies aren't going to take him in just because he left them. The only place he would have to go to is Janis, and Sizemore probably knows she would be disappointed in him.

Someone already asked that (almost the exact same question), and I already responded. I do not know where he would turn. If anything, I think he would just go Barbarian (if he is able), but I also said:

CarniDollMancer wrote:I am not saying I think this is going to happen. I just think that is where Sizemore's head is at. I think something will happen to boost that Loyalty score again (probably directly related to the fact that Parson can conceive of a world without war, and maybe related to Janis), but right now I think he is on the fence as to whether this is a side worth serving with Parson at the helm. He is having a crisis of conscience about whether Parson is doing things wrongly, especially with the breaking of the MK.


That is from the post immediately before your questioning. It basically means that I do not think he is going to turn, but I do think he is probably considering leaving the side if he has that much of a problem with their methods.
"To have talent is to be in demand, I well know... The talent itself supplies the demand." - The late, great Jack Snipe the Fool(amancer)
User avatar
CarniDollMancer
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:40 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby Lipkin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:04 pm

I kind of wish Sizemore and Jack had talked about Old Faq. Seems like Sizemore's dream place.
User avatar
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby multilis » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Lipkin wrote:I kind of wish Sizemore and Jack had talked about Old Faq. Seems like Sizemore's dream place.

Sizemore may end up changing allegiance like Ossomer did, and possible Digdoug will take his place. Ideals are both a strength and a weakness.... someone like Charlie may find way to exploit. Not that hard to create impression of a side like Old Faq and send propaganda to someone in magic kingdom.... carnymancers seem to make a living out of "rope a dope", a third party could be "hustled" to do the job.

The third party pacifist kingdom gains a dirtomancer, Charlie by arranging things weakens his biggest opponent and he likely makes a profit doing so.
multilis
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby Denar » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm

multilis wrote:
GWvsJohn wrote:
multilis wrote:In "Stupidworld", most people here able to chat on internet have surplus of money just like Sizemore has rands. There exist people in "Stupidworld" who do not have enough to eat, may starve to death. Those calling Sizemore hypocritical for not giving all his rands to save people from starving should perhaps look if they give all their surplus money to charities to help save people from starving.

(In both worlds also exist risk of people pretending to be starving on order to make a good income from those who donate to the less fortunate, and people who could get a job and earn own income but prefer to beg) I am starving, plz help, send money to hungryWith99ChildrenToFeed@paypal.com, thank you and god and evolution bless you! Only $100 a day needed to keep me and my 99 children alive!

One other factor is "hopeless"... Dove saw some people as forever starving to death, donating money would only delay things, not save them. Wars on other hand often kill people who would not otherwise starve to death if not given donations every day. Dove was willing to help people who could pay her back.


It's a little different. At the Short Pier, the Casters will literally die tomorrow if you don't help them. And if you give them 1 Rand, they can only use it so survive.

I am standing at Short Pier right now in Stupid world, with my 99 children. Please send 1 dollar for me and one for each of my 99 children. If you don't we will literally die tomorrow, the nigerian militia guy with big gun will shoot us each in head rather than give us enough to eat today. Thank you very much. If you only can send $10 that is ok, you will still save me and 9 children, better than nothing. Paypal is standing by. If you need further proof I can write this in all caps.

(In our world, people may literally starve to death if they don't get food, medicine, etc each day as aid, and others are scammers. Easy for scammers to exist in Erfworld waiting at Short Pier. If it was easy to get rands at the Short Pier, then probably majority there would be scammers... you can collect an extra rand at pier while also making scrolls that day for selling. Even if some way to detect how many rands someone else has, that can be fooled by having a secret trusted ally.)


Why do you continue down that line of dialogue? It's an analogy so warped that it's misleading to use. Here's a better one:

You have cancer. You're having surgery tomorrow. Chances are you're going to die.

^sizemore is facing - at that point - certain defeat at tbogk.

You have plenty of money that you're 99% sure you'll never use.

^see sizemore's words to justify his over-spending to Janis.

You know there is a place literally just outside your front door where people go when they're literally about to die from "not having any money"-itis.

^this is the Magic Kingdom, with zany Erfworld physics. Not a vague statement about "oh, all over the rest of the world, in places you'd never conceivably reach, are people suffering and could die from a whole complicated set of factors". Sizemore can go to the pier and meet literally everyone in that world who want help, and save them by just throwing a single "1" of currency at them (remember Dove's words? Although some casters go there who are just ready to die - "If you can’t pay your upkeep, then you go stand there to watch the sunrise and disband. If somebody’s feeling generous, maybe they go by and save you. It’s our last resort. There’s somebody there almost every day, sometimes more than one" - I've already seen one person say that the people who go to the pier are only those who have given up and don't want help, we see from Dove's words that it's not true.)

Also now to exclude any variables from this analogy - you can't use any of your money for your own benefit at this point (or else I'm pretty sure, if the Rands could have helped Sizemore, he'd have been forced to volunteer that to the side. Regardless he'd have done that anyway because he wants to live), you've got no one to pass it onto, you've only been wasting it recently. You can waste all this money and not be in the shit even if the surgery works, because you have a job (sizemore has his side, so he doesn't need Rands like the barbarian casters need rands)

There. Now it's the night before the surgery - who among any of us here would refuse to simply step outside and just give all our money to the people there? You can do plenty of other things as well, it's zany erfworld time, but who wouldn't do that?

Oh! Sizemore's worried about scammers is he? Worried that, out of all the barbarians about to die there, some of them aren't quite at the point of dying yet? So it's better that he tries to save none of them just in case somebody who doesn't deserve it gets a Rand? ...Wait, weren't we supposed to be making this argument based on whether Sizemore is a "good guy" or not? Because, I, being pro "Sizemore-is-whiny" would happily accept the idea that Sizemore would rather have people die - people who might otherwise be utterly down on their luck, and never have to visit the pier ever again after the day sizemore saves them - that argument suits me rather fine.

Thankfully though we can exclude the argument about "scammers" because Dove says that there's usually somebody there everyday, sometimes more. So unless the argument you're making is that there's the same single caster standing there every day (or maybe even an elaborate scheme set up! - where alternating casters pool and waste their valuable time, not seeking jobs, just hoping somebody will appear and give their scamming organisation a rand each day) and nobody's cottoned on, then I don't think "scamming" is a big deal in the MK.

But who knows! Maybe Sizemore actually visited the short pier earlier that day (at the start of the comic), and saved any/all the casters there already. Though from his talk about "flaking" it's more probable that he's spent all his time there, with Janis.

My thoughts are that Sizemore doesn't know about the Long Walk. That suits Dove's words to me. That the organisation of dirtamancers in the MK aren't like anybody else who would care for Digdoug. Sizemore, and the rest of them, who never need to worry about upkeep are just ignorant about casters who live in "poverty" (as "poverty" as you can get in erfworld). He's self-centered and naive, so he just doesn't know, and it's never occurred to him to find out because he's not that sort of person.
Last edited by Denar on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denar
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby arbo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Lipkin wrote:Sizemore's complaint wasn't "The Magic Kingdom was a sanctuary for casters, free of war." It was "Everyone used to be my friend here, and now my reputation is ruined."


Lipkin, how can you say that? Read the update! http://www.erfworld.com/2013/11/epilogu ... -sizemore/

Sizemore ACTUALLY says FIRST exactly what you said he didn't:

Sizemore wrote:You broke the Magic Kingdom. You brought the war here. The one place that was different. The only place anyone could go."


Only AFTER that he goes on to complain that, on top of that, Parson ALSO ruined his life.

Please, don't do a disservice to the character by just conveniently ignoring half of what he said.

Lipkin wrote:He hates Parson for making him kill, yet Parson had nothing to do with it. He belonged to a side that was being attacked. Kill, be killed, or abandon the side and go barbarian. He was content to make Craps, never mind that those golems would then go on to kill. He was already a killer, he was just fooling himself.


Again, no evidence in the comic. (Link to a page, if you must.) This is all your interpretation of the character. Again: Sizemore DOES NOT HAVE A CHOICE on any of this. He, as much as Parson, would be disbanded if they acted against the Side, that is, Stanley. The comic points that out several times.

Lipkin wrote:He actually shares a similarity to Parson in that way. Parson wanted to stay out of the fighting in the Summer updates, yet he helped Stanley get more Dwagons, directly contributing to the war.


Not discussing Parson here. Parson is a character with his own motivations, wildly different from Sizemore's. Even before Book 1, Parson always enjoyed fighting wars. Sizemore never did. If anything, he loves his craft. He can't help finding it awesome to uncroak a volcano while he's at it, but he'd never willingly do it if he could refuse -- because he terribly regrets the outcome.
“Run this same calculation ten times in a row. Go.”
User avatar
arbo
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: Recife, Brazil

Re: Digdoug - Episode 22

Postby Denar » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:54 pm

arbo wrote:
Lipkin wrote:He hates Parson for making him kill, yet Parson had nothing to do with it. He belonged to a side that was being attacked. Kill, be killed, or abandon the side and go barbarian. He was content to make Craps, never mind that those golems would then go on to kill. He was already a killer, he was just fooling himself.


Again, no evidence in the comic. (Link to a page, if you must.) This is all your interpretation of the character. Again: Sizemore DOES NOT HAVE A CHOICE on any of this. He, as much as Parson, would be disbanded if they acted against the Side, that is, Stanley. The comic points that out several times.


insert: "how can you say that Sizemore literally uses those exact words"

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F102.jpg

SR:Or it will fail. By Fate and by Luck and by Numbers.
But whatever happens, I'll have croaked a lot of people tomorrow.

I've tasted it, Warlord.
And I don't like it.

But you can't release me from that. Can you.
Can you.

PG: No.

SR: Then I think...
I think I have to hate you.


"can't stop yourself from doing your duty? can't stop me from doing my duty? guess that's grounds enough to hate you now, you horrible monster"

pls don't disservice a character by ignoring what was his huge, monumental character development in the first book
Denar
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:01 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beeskee, Bing [Bot], El_Chupacabra, GKBeetle and 13 guests