Book 2 - Page 1

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 1

Postby raphfrk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Infidel wrote:It's turn based. Parson's timely arrival is not important.

Well, it's real time within turns. Ofc, there is still the whole sync-up effect between mutiple hexes, as time passes at different rates.

Presumably, if Parson had arrived 5 mins later, then he would have missed the start of the battle (unless Erfworld was waiting for his arrival).
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lord Kasavin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:40 pm

I presume others noticed the subtitle for the block, "Meet the Jetstones." Yes, it is a reference to the Hannah Barbara cartoon. However, it also implies much of the narrative is going to focus on a new cast of characters: King of Jetsone (what was his name again?), Ossomer, and Traemennis. Hopefully, they'll be interesting characters and thus survive the run. This would also mean the "decapatation" strike isn't going to work.

That being said, Maggie's "oh dear," might be as simple losing contact, not an apocalypse.

Gez wrote:
Infidel wrote:Looks like it's from Parson's POV, not omniscient.

We've never been told Parson knows about the "support plan" thing.

Eh, there's a good chance in all his talks with Sizemore at least (and possibly Maggie) that it came up. I mean, realistically, the narrative we receive can't include every thing learned by all characters. Either the details or to minor to warrant revelation, or they are kept secret to later create a revelation.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Lamech » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Awesome art work. Stanley looks awesome with his cape. I like how the decrypted units are trusted less than the natural allies when it comes to guarding stuff. Kind of funny. Especially if Stanley didn't have anything to do with the rebellion. And there appears to be a speed bump worthy of an "oh dear". This is going almost as badly as when Wanda let off all of those doom spells and one of them went "fr-doom" instead of inflicting proper a "doom". Can't wait for the action... :mrgreen:
Lamech

Postby DevilDan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:43 pm

I just LOVE the artwork; the new artist was a brilliant choice. Almost missed the fireflower from the Mario Bros games.

(There so many posts on these reaction threads! I think I'm going to have to choose to just start ignoring them.)
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Gez » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:50 pm

Infidel wrote:Because omniscient narrators don't give opinions

They don't? Seems I have just found the new frontier of literature that will allow me to write a groundbreaking novel that'll be required reading in colleges the world over.

Anyway, it seems there's a confusion between omniscient narrator and heterodiegetic narrator. A narrator may very well be opinionated, misleading, non-omniscient, and still not a character in the story. (If the narrator is a character in the story, then you have a homodiegetic narrator.)

Lord Kasavin wrote:Eh, there's a good chance in all his talks with Sizemore at least (and possibly Maggie) that it came up. I mean, realistically, the narrative we receive can't include every thing learned by all characters. Either the details or to minor to warrant revelation, or they are kept secret to later create a revelation.

We've never seen him asking about how he came to be here. There's some angst about whether it's real or not, but all the questions he asked was about the way the world worked, not why he was here. Plus, there's only two persons who know about the support plan thing: Stanley and Wanda.
Last edited by Gez on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Postby raphfrk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:50 pm

Lamech wrote:I like how the decrypted units are trusted less than the natural allies when it comes to guarding stuff.

Am I the only one who felt bad for those guards?

Most other units would at least have some freedom of movement.

However, if ordered to guard a room, you would have to obey and just stand there. Presumably, they stand nearly perfectly still.

Ofc, maybe there is a change of the guard every few hours.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby enthar » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:53 pm

Love the new art and new artist. I am worried, can she keep up this level of quality on a twice weekly basis? Thats some good art right there, feels like it takes time.

Love the little details too- looks like a painting of a flight of dragons (I dub it Stanley's Return) and maybe the sacking of a city, maybe the capture/mass disbanding of Unaroyal?

Enthar
enthar
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Updog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:56 pm

The art style is so gloriously serious, Great work Xin!! I couldn't help but notice in panel 2 Stanley's flutters towards the door, presumably becuase he's on a parapet looking out across his capital, but as he walks through the door the cape is fluttering towards where he previously stood at pretty much a 90" angle, either Stanley uses speedhax to make his walk, or there's a natural thinkamancy at work that ensures that capes always flutter in the opposite direction that the wearer is walking
hahahaha
Updog

Postby ftl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Lord Kasavin wrote:I presume others noticed the subtitle for the block, "Meet the Jetstones." Yes, it is a reference to the Hannah Barbara cartoon. However, it also implies much of the narrative is going to focus on a new cast of characters: King of Jetsone (what was his name again?), Ossomer, and Traemennis. Hopefully, they'll be interesting characters and thus survive the run. This would also mean the "decapatation" strike isn't going to work.

The king of Jetstone is, I believe, King Slately. (Possibly a pun on "stately" (going with the positive-adjective names) and "slate" (stone-based names) ).

[edit] Boop, checked the wiki, and the name is also a combination of the names "Mr. Spacely" and "Mr. Slate", from The Jetsons and The Flintstones, respectively. HOW MANY PUNS CAN BE FIT IN ONE NAME dear lord. [/edit]
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zerohour » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:19 pm

I'm a little disappointed that the Summer updates stopped at 49 instead of an even fifty, but it's still nice to get back to the comic. Having a much faster regular update rate is also nice, though only two updates per week means that progress will be fairly slow for a dramatic comic.

Capturing Ansom, or any Decrypted for that matter, could very well change how the game is played, so to speak. Of course, in order to explore this, we'll need a Mad Scientist type character. I doubt any Erfworlders would pick up that role too well, since it depends on out of the box thinking, but they can always pop someone with a different point of view, like Charlie, or summon the ultimate Mad Scientist like Stanley summoned Parson.

I wonder is the table they're using is the new version of the old one. WIthout Misty for Lookamancy, they can't detect everything like, but doing a mind meld with just Jack and Maggie would still allow them to have layout of the battlefield and doesn't run the risk of a mind break when they're done.

@Kilted Ninja:
X is the universal variable for an unknown, not for change.
Zerohour

Postby Scipion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:24 pm

I really like the look of the pikers : )

Also, can't wait for the next one!

The color of the table hex's seems a little strange though...
Scipion

Postby Unclever title » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Oh a parallel to the beginning of Book I? So I'm guessing we can expect the same awesomeness as before?

Though I note (and love) a lot of the subtle humor in this page.

Fireflower a potted vine?

More Oriental influence in the architecture? Definitely wasn't expecting that, but this IS Erfworld after all.
I'm now expecting to one day see a giant green pipe somewhere. Not necessarily in Gobwin Knob, but SOMEwhere.

Also: I'm loving Stanley in the pants T-shirt and cape like a little kid pretending to be a super hero. It suits him pretty well.
Unclever title
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Infidel » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Gez wrote:
Infidel wrote:Because omniscient narrators don't give opinions

They don't? Seems I have just found the new frontier of literature that will allow me to write a groundbreaking novel that'll be required reading in colleges the world over.

Good storytelling isn't about writing something completely original, it's about interesting the readers and building a story within a believable context with characters and themes familiar, and thus believable, to the reader. Ergo, it's about creative writing of unoriginal themes. Want original narration? Write a book in ten different languages, alternating languages with every word, with an 11th language resolving any differences in grammar. You've now written a groundbreaking novel, that'll probably be required reading in colleges the world over in a few decades.

Anyway, it seems there's a confusion between omniscient narrator and heterodiegetic narrator. A narrator may very well be opinionated, misleading, non-omniscient, and still not a character in the story. (If the narrator is a character in the story, then you have a homodiegetic narrator.)

Yes, but then the narrator is a character telling the story outside the story. Like Princes's Bride. The grandfather was reading from a book giving opinions here and there. Ergo, the opinionated Narrator was a character, whether inside or outside the story.
Last edited by Infidel on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby shneekeythelost » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Jetstones
Meet the Jetstones
There a modern royal family
From the
town of Jetstone
And they're really pissed off at Stanley...

Sorry, love, couldn't resist :mrgreen:
shneekeythelost

Postby Phædrus2129 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:55 pm

Does the presence of guards during your own turn seem a little off to anyone else? If it's your turn, no one is going to attack you. So presumably if you're in a non-combat area that's the time when units could slack off a little, and you could have your units do... something else. Then when your turn is nearing its end, you put your guards in place to protect against enemy action, if any. Unless Stanley is really big on propriety or something, and it seems to me that since royals seem to keep guards (again; for propriety? show? custom?) that Stanley would want to break from that tradition.

Or it could just be artistic choice, I'm cool with that too.
Phædrus2129

Postby Carlan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Unclever title wrote:I'm now expecting to one day see a giant green pipe somewhere. Not necessarily in Gobwin Knob, but SOMEwhere.

I'm hoping for a big green pipe leading into GK, maybe with a Stanley flag flying over the tower and some fireworks going off around it. Maybe a couple of Marbit brothers in red or green overalls.
Carlan

Postby Sulla » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:00 pm

Great to see Book 2 start! All-around excellence!
Sulla

Postby Jatopian » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:06 pm

Phædrus2129 wrote:Does the presence of guards during your own turn seem a little off to anyone else? If it's your turn, no one is going to attack you.
There's always the possibility of treachery. Stanley doesn't trust his direct subordinates any more than they trust him.
TheWombat wrote:Does it strike anyone else as weird that there is an "Owiental Dwagon" theme present though we have never seen that type of Dwagon?
No. It could exist somewhere else in the world they intend to conquer, it could be right here in GK and we just haven't seen it, it could be a stylistic choice, or it could even be that Erfworld has its own mythological creatures and they're just slightly more realistic there than here.
Jatopian

Postby joneleth » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:12 pm

Infidel wrote:Yes, but then the narrator is a character telling the story outside the story. Like Princes's Bride. The grandfather was reading from a book giving opinions here and there. Ergo, the Narrator was a character, whether inside or outside the story.

I was actually imagining the Discworld narrator when I read those lines :P
joneleth

Postby Inst » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:21 pm

removed, not in the mood to argue
Last edited by Inst on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inst

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions