Book 2 - Page 1

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 1

Postby sentientcheese » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Awww, arent you just the kyootest widdle troll! Yes you are! Yes you are! Who wants some fwamebait? izzit you? izzit you?

*throws a grenade off into the distance*

Go get the flamebait!!!
sentientcheese

Postby Diodri » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:46 pm

In reference to guards in the city, here's probably why.

Lets say the the pikers have 10 move (make it 50 move, if you want). Okay, so it's your turn, you send them out of your city. If the closest place you want to attack is 100 hexes away, the pikers can only move 5 (or 25) move, before having to return to guard duty, in case GK is attacked on their turn. Then there is also the possibility of barbarians or feral attacking units just wandering around.

In short: Where would you move those units to? There's nothing near GK worth exploring. Also, what if someone like Charlie wasn't to 'decapitate' GK. It's best to leave some forces in your base, just in case.
Diodri

Postby raphfrk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:55 pm

Diodri wrote:Then there is also the possibility of barbarians or feral attacking units just wandering around.

Natural allies could also attack (and they are probably the only units which will be able to move on the same move), though that would mean that using them as guards is self-defeating :).

In book 1, the guards also prevented low level units from entering restricted areas. They wouldn't let Bogroll into the situation room. This is easier than giving a general order to all units in the city not to enter.

Also, on that page, there is a worm like dragon hanging from the ceiling. I wonder if that is what the new dragons are based on.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Zeku » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 pm

What is that pose that Maggie is doing, from? I know I've seen it before, either in art, or a poster or something. It's a really old pose.
Zeku

Postby HailGreen28 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:28 pm

Jatopian wrote:
Phædrus2129 wrote:Does the presence of guards during your own turn seem a little off to anyone else? If it's your turn, no one is going to attack you.
There's always the possibility of treachery. Stanley doesn't trust his direct subordinates any more than they trust him.
I thought it was notable that the OUTER doorway guards were decrypted, but the guard at the doorway closer to the meeting room was one of Stanley's Hobgobwins.
HailGreen28

Postby Roketter » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:31 pm

The decapitation strike could work still, what we'r about to see is likely one of those huge "Gi-Joe Vs Cobra" battles where the good and bad guys have it out wich each other. I bet we'll see lots of action from Ossomer and TRamenis, posibly turning the tide of the battle.

If Gobwin Knob wins it's a god chance to say King Slately will get croaked and the story of Jetstone will be centered around Ossomer and TRamenis escaping, wich is kind of kool. They'll likely get to know Jillian that way. If it fails, they'll still suffer heavy losses and it'll also be a big start as Parson takes over again.

Whatever the outcome i bet story purposes dictate the only one in real danger of croaking is Slately. Ossomer, Tramenis, Wanda and Ansom are likely set up to be mayor characters in book 2. Slately will likely be wearing a red-shirt. ^ ^

Wanna see the Jetstones in Action! :D

Perhaps MAggie's "Oh boy" meant he sensed Jillian coming in to aid the JEtsones with some archons! :D
Roketter

Postby AstralFire » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:51 pm

Definitely an excellent choice of artist. I can tell it's a different artist, but the style fits perfectly.
Up the Ante.

A webcomic by AstralFire and Domochevsky.
AstralFire

Postby Wender » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:17 pm

I just love how it looks like the hobgobwin stuck his spear into Stanley's big, fat head.

The guy really needs to go back to the Magic Kingdom and get the perfect image consultant.
Wender

Postby Majutsukai » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:23 pm

...Is that a triforce on Maggie's necklace? Or am I seeing things?
Majutsukai

Postby Justyn » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Majutsukai wrote:...Is that a triforce on Maggie's necklace? Or am I seeing things?

It just might be.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 pm

Ahhhg, a cliff hanger so soon? But a great start I must admit. I like the new art, loved the "But as an overlord life is more the awful, crushing burden of power and greatness" - I can really imaging Stanley thinking like that.

And Parson... looking svelte (well more so then he used to ;) )

And truly it has begun. So Ansom is talking to Ossomer and a battle is about to begin... has he lured the Chief Warlord of Jetstone into a trap? And Maggie's "oh dear"... I guess something isn't going well. I hope the Jetstone princes don't croak and decrypt to soon. Well Trem. at least, he sounds interesting.

And my goodness do the decrypted look creepy. All white eyed and stare-y
Last edited by Dancing Cthulhu on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby Elysium » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:52 pm

When I started Book 1, I didn't know what to make of it at first. Things were unusual and mysterious sometimes. It turned out to be awesome though, both in story and art! Now what a difference it is starting Book 2. I can't wait to see more about the world and characters. And to seeing some clever strategies and twists. This is a great setting and story to explore. Erfworld has really arrived.

Based on Book 1, I think this is a story where learning is huge: learning about the way the world works, and the inner thoughts and motivations of the key characters. Revealing information is a big thing, what keeps you intrigued.

Also, for the debut of the new artist: the art is just wonderful! Really neat, with some great intricacies. The city, the columns, the decor, all great. I particularly like how Parson and Maggie look. You can see that Parson is slimming slightly, and Maggie actually looks cool. Efrworld has a great new look for the new book. So congratulations Xin Ye!
Elysium

Postby MarbitChow » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:10 pm

Dancing Cthulhu wrote:Ahhhg, a cliff hanger so soon?

It's been a bit of a jolt for me, moving back to the comic. You get more visual information, but the story progresses much more slowly.
Many of the updates we've seen would be 5-10 pages worth of comics in their own right, if each event needed to be its own frame.
It's not really a cliff-hanger; it's just the first breakpoint in a 25-page story that cannot come anywhere near fast enough for my tastes. :D
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby Infidel » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 pm

joneleth wrote:
Infidel wrote:Yes, but then the narrator is a character telling the story outside the story. Like Princes's Bride. The grandfather was reading from a book giving opinions here and there. Ergo, the Narrator was a character, whether inside or outside the story.

I was actually imagining the Discworld narrator when I read those lines :P

mm, I'm liking that series, although, like xanth, sometimes the puns are a bit much. Right now I've halted my forward progress as
Spoiler: show
my favorite character, Rincewind, is apparently dead.
Last edited by SteveMB on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tag
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 pm

Really looking at the art I love the interior detail. And I have always liked Eastern stylings, shame GK doesn't have any units reminiscent of some of the more styalised Chinese/Japanese martial arts flicks (since I guess that would fit in more with the pop culture stylings then historical ones), but oh well. GK looks awesome, pure and simple.

MarbitChow wrote:It's been a bit of a jolt for me, moving back to the comic. You get more visual information, but the story progresses much more slowly.
Many of the updates we've seen would be 5-10 pages worth of comics in their own right, if each event needed to be its own frame.
It's not really a cliff-hanger; it's just the first breakpoint in a 25-page story that cannot come anywhere near fast enough for my tastes. :D

Yes, you've got it exactly.

teratorn wrote:
Retconjurer wrote:I'm intrigued as to why Ansom is talking to Ossomer. Might we learn the limits of Arkenplier manipulation? (probably not)

He's trying to convert him to toolism, like they did with queen Bea.

If so I suspect failure, though different to Bea. I guess that is why Parson would be asking about the battle. Ossomer will slap Ansom's face with his glove, and it. Will. Be. On. :lol:

Or he'll say mean things about Wanda and it will be Ansom that does the face slapping.

drakeblood4 wrote:-Stanley's cloak is billowing a bit excessively. Is there a hurricane in GK today?

Natural signamancy? I mean if you wear a cloak it should billow dramatically no matter where you are.

TheWombat wrote:Does it strike anyone else as weird that there is an "Owiental Dwagon" theme present though we have never seen that type of Dwagon?

Hmmm, good point. I wonder what "Owiental Dwagons" would be like, since in real world terms at any rate they are rather different in nature and being then the more Western style that Stanley's dwagons are modeled after.

Still. Needs a bit more shadows, those Stabbers for example have none at all and look a bit pasted in as a result.

It's the decryption I tell you! Decryption! ;)

raphfrk wrote:So ... when they said "Love is a battlefield", they meant lovers killing lovers :) ?

Well Jillian is in a love square at the moment, she has plenty of options.

Phædrus2129 wrote:Does the presence of guards during your own turn seem a little off to anyone else? If it's your turn, no one is going to attack you. So presumably if you're in a non-combat area that's the time when units could slack off a little...

We haven't seen it, I know, but maybe there is some sort of infiltration unit out there. Ninjas! James Bonds! Solid Snakes! Etc!

If so you'd want some guards around should they strike. Or maybe it is like Parson having to physically walk around and look at things - if he doesn't it doesn't work as well. If you let your units slack off maybe their stats decline over time. So even if no one is going to be trying to kill you in your inner sanctum you still set your troops guard duties etc.

Plus there is always the problem of a unit turning. And like raphfrk said they do other things, like keep unauthorized units out of certain areas.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby mutecebu » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:51 pm

Huzzah! Love the first page, the new art, and the new Hamster. Big improvement in 4 weeks, but I like it!
mutecebu

Postby the_tick_rules » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Is it me or does it feel like less gets done in comic form than text form? I propose the jetstone brothers solve their rivalry like true brothers, with booze.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Lamech » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:54 pm

The obvious answer for those guards would be he doesn't trust Wanda. But we also can note that he had those guards before the rebuilt GK. Stanley doesn't trust his own units. Yet he DOES trust his natural allies. Odd no?
Lamech

Postby Grunthos » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:08 am

Add me to the list of those impressed with, and pleased by, the new artwork. In particular, I think Xin Ye does an outstanding job of creating depth and perspective for a comic artist. Her style really makes the foreground pop off the page, and the wider-angle shots have a real sense of distance. And she matches up very well with Jamie's established look. If she can get the dramatic closeups right (as Jamie did so well in, e.g., TBfGK page 67.8, 68.7, 93.6, 122.7, 122.9, 131.3, 131.6, 131.8, etc.), then the comic won't be missing a beat.
Grunthos

Postby Lunaya » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:31 am

Beautiful first page. I'm so excited! :D
Lunaya

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions