Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 2

Postby Lady Nerevar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:38 pm

stalker <3
Lady Nerevar

Postby multilis » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:39 pm

"Why the hell are the erfworlders even having sex?"

Because our world does and Erfworld selectively borrows concepts from ours?

Sort of like many games with hit points... you lose hit points if someone stomps on your foot, then you perhaps gain some back if you eat an apple. Real life is much more complex than that.
multilis

Postby AllPurposeNerd » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:55 am

Actually considering there's no such thing as pregnancy or disease, I think a more pressing question is "why are Erfworlders doing anything other than having sex?"
Takeoff every Sig. You know what you do.
AllPurposeNerd

Postby Justyn » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:40 am

AllPurposeNerd wrote:Actually considering there's no such thing as pregnancy or disease, I think a more pressing question is "why are Erfworlders doing anything other than having sex?"

That is a very good question.

Also, I like your avatar, I miss Bogroll.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby BoopingCynic » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:47 am

Justyn wrote:
That is a very good question.

Also, I like your avatar, I miss Bogroll.

Me too :cry: .
Here lies a toppled God\
His fall was not a small one\
We did but build his pedestal\
A narrow and a tall one.
~ Tlielaxu Epigram ~
BoopingCynic

Postby tez » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:14 am

dannom wrote:
tez wrote:This comic gets weirder the longer you think about it. Why the hell are the erfworlders even having sex? They don't need it for procreation, everyone "pops" (tangent: how much of the internal equipment do they even have? Do they have DNA, or even cells, for Christ's sake??) There is no in-world reason for them to even have sex organs. It's purely for the benefit of the narrative, to give some extra depth to the characters, to make them slightly more relatable to the player or us, the readers. Weeeeeeeeeeeird.

I think this and other examples like restrictions on swearing and joke references that make sense in our world, but do not seem well understood in Erfworld indicates there is an audience [on both sides of the 4th wall].

Yeah this. The sex thing just blatantly drove it home once again for me.

@multilis
That's what I was getting at; Erfworld makes no sense whatsoever if you don't know about our world. It's not a self-contained world, it's an elaborate and very self-aware injoke/parody. Like something an Ivy League lit crit dude might come up with.
tez

Postby khyron42 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:16 am

Nice update.

I just recently speculated in the "Other Arkentools" thread that the Tools were stuff left over from the building of the world (giving them some nice world reshaping potential, aside from their in-game uses.) Nice to see that confirmed by the Titans themselves.

Now, whether they were left by a master plan or by accident is still up in the air...
khyron42
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Re: Ah, the brilliant combination of story and art

Postby SteveMB » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:47 am

Roszlishan wrote:It's not surprising to see Ansom continue with this doomed strategy of converting Royalists to Toolists, but it is odd that Stanley's permitting him to do so. Stanley is ... cogitationally challenged, certainly, but he's nothing if not determined. Quite a piker, in some sense.

True believers tend to feel more self-righteous about fighting infidels after the infidels have been offered, and rejected, an opportunity to convert.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Scipion » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:54 pm

I wonder if a twoll fabricated a new rug-mount for Ansom. He's had it since they took over Warchalking... I suppose it's possible it just fluttered around a bit during the raging explosion of fire and brimstone O . o
Scipion

Postby gameboy1234 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:49 pm

Scipion wrote:I wonder if a twoll fabricated a new rug-mount for Ansom. He's had it since they took over Warchalking... I suppose it's possible it just fluttered around a bit during the raging explosion of fire and brimstone O . o

I'm assuming the rug is a "part" of Ansom. Like some special heroes have equipment like a special sword or mount listed on their character sheet. That equipment just "goes with" the character, it's always around.

Your ideas are good too. In fact now I'm more dubious of my supposition. But if the explosion destroyed flying Archons and not the rug, that would imply that the carpet has a really huge number or hit points, or maybe that magic items can't be destroy and don't take damage.

Hmm, the latter now seems somewhat more likely to me. Like Jillian's magic hat the time she was captured (in book 1). Jillian got munched on by a dwagon, but her hat took no (apparent) damage.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Scott Frantz » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:05 pm

Scipion wrote:I wonder if a twoll fabricated a new rug-mount for Ansom. He's had it since they took over Warchalking... I suppose it's possible it just fluttered around a bit during the raging explosion of fire and brimstone O . o
Well, the original rug, at least, seemed to have some Foolamancy ability (The DDR display). That and the flying ability seems outside the realm of mere Fabrication
Scott Frantz

Postby SteveMB » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:34 pm

Scott Frantz wrote:Well, the original rug, at least, seemed to have some Foolamancy ability (The DDR display). That and the flying ability seems outside the realm of mere Fabrication

The DDR display was something the Archons did (note that Ansom flew up to talk to them just before the it went up). That said, the flying is presumably a magic effect that does not fall within the scope of Fabrication.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby Gez » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:34 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:or maybe that magic items can't be destroy and don't take damage

TBFGK p150 would disagree with that.
Gez

Postby Decorus » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:07 pm

The DDR display was the Archons using Foolmancy + Dancefighting + Leadership to grant Ansom the ability to lead the RCC troops in the Dance Fight it wasn't a standard contract option, but Ansom knew to ask for it.
Decorus

Postby Scipion » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:00 pm

Maybe Erfworlders have some kind of "equipment space" that they can store items in, but I'm not sure why the carpet would have returned there after he died.

I'm hedging on they have an "equipment space" but that the carpet was destroyed and it was remade for him either by a twoll or maybe purchased from the Magic Kingdom like Maggies suit with his own funds because of a preference for that mount.
Scipion

Postby Crarites » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:08 pm

anyone else curious why Parson likes to move his bracer between arms?
Crarites

Postby Scipion » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:44 pm

That's just his normal armor bracer in the panel with Bogroll.
Also seen here http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F144.jpg
Scipion

Postby BoopingCynic » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:50 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:

I'm assuming the rug is a "part" of Ansom. Like some special heroes have equipment like a special sword or mount listed on their character sheet. That equipment just "goes with" the character, it's always around.

Your ideas are good too. In fact now I'm more dubious of my supposition. But if the explosion destroyed flying Archons and not the rug, that would imply that the carpet has a really huge number or hit points, or maybe that magic items can't be destroy and don't take damage.

Hmm, the latter now seems somewhat more likely to me. Like Jillian's magic hat the time she was captured (in book 1). Jillian got munched on by a dwagon, but her hat took no (apparent) damage.

It seems to be part of him or a familiar which can be decrypted with him so he has a decrypted carpet :o... or it just was blown away and was just flying away from GK before the eruption then came back when Ansom was decrypted :roll:.
Here lies a toppled God\
His fall was not a small one\
We did but build his pedestal\
A narrow and a tall one.
~ Tlielaxu Epigram ~
BoopingCynic

Postby Nebulious » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:44 am

Crarites wrote:anyone else curious why Parson likes to move his bracer between arms?

Probably because during battle, it would be hard to type with the hand holding your sword. Not sure if he always had it switched during the fight, though.
This cold night will turn us all into fools and madmen.
Nebulious
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Scott Frantz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:44 am

SteveMB wrote:
Scott Frantz wrote:Well, the original rug, at least, seemed to have some Foolamancy ability (The DDR display). That and the flying ability seems outside the realm of mere Fabrication

The DDR display was something the Archons did (note that Ansom flew up to talk to them just before the it went up). That said, the flying is presumably a magic effect that does not fall within the scope of Fabrication.
Oh, wait, I see. I never noticed the Archons below the carpet before. I took from that summer update that the Archons were merely aiding Ansom's dance fight leading with their Mario Paint displays. D'oh.
Scott Frantz

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions