Book 2 - Page 2

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 2

Postby Nebulious » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:56 pm

Panels 2 and 3 really show us how Parson's double chin has receded.
This cold night will turn us all into fools and madmen.
Nebulious
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Gez » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:56 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Could have been worse, she could have used Toki's (from Metalocalypse) codpiece.

Or anything from this shop.
Gez

Postby Grunthos » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:57 pm

The interesting thing about Xin Ye's review of the Erfworld art style is that she is proceeding from where Jaime left off, rather than where Jaime began. I thought Wanda looked strange on this page, until I went back and compared the differences between Wanda on page 2 of TBfGK and Wanda on page 144 of TBfGK. Jaime already brought us most of the way from big-head, kid's cartoon figures to more normal proportions.

And if you look back critically... some of Jaime's poses were stiff, too, on occasion. It happens, when you're putting art out on a deadline.

I do think Xin doesn't have Parson down quite yet. He isn't fitting into the scenes quite right for me. This, too, shall pass, I'm sure.
Grunthos

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:00 pm

Exposition bridge...heh

The art is really different from Jamie's; the first time I saw it it confused me, but I'm getting more and more used to it.

(So long till Wednesday...)
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby mhangman » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:08 pm

omg wanda is so beatiful. i think im falling love :P she doesnt look like a cracy witch, more like jean darc
mhangman

Postby CnSvnc » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:09 pm

Wanda was hot even when she was bigheaded...

Say, have I seen that outfit somewhere?
CnSvnc

Postby ShieldOfAthena » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:09 pm

Isn't Ansom's costume supposed to be black now? I thought Jamie said that was an error in book 1 (and so says the special panel in the Toolbox from back then).
ShieldOfAthena
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Tiger » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:20 pm

HailGreen28 wrote:Or they could be cut off and surrounded, who knows?

So what if they are? Most of their army has an upkeep of 0, meaning they need hardly anything in the way of provisions. The fact that some of the enemy is behind them just means fewer defenders to overcome when they take the city.
Tiger

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:32 pm

ShieldOfAthena wrote:Isn't Ansom's costume supposed to be black now? I thought Jamie said that was an error in book 1 (and so says the special panel in the Toolbox from back then).

No, other way around. The black PJs on Ansom were a mistake. White is the correct one.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby fruityjanitor » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:41 pm

I don't think it was intentional, but "Expository Bridge" totally reminded me of Final Fantasy 1. lol.

Can't wait to see the next page! We're finally going to get to see Prince Ossomer (and maybe Tramennis as well?).
fruityjanitor
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby yay » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:45 pm

does Gobwin Knob have any water capable units? the bridge could become a huge problem/chokepoint for Ansom and Wanda, especially if the RCC2 decides to commit casters to the defense, or has some water units of its own to flank the forces on the bridge. and Jillian's flyers may be showing up soon to counter the dwagons and archons
yay

Postby raphfrk » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:03 pm

yay wrote:does Gobwin Knob have any water capable units? the bridge could become a huge problem/chokepoint for Ansom and Wanda, especially if the RCC2 decides to commit casters to the defense, or has some water units of its own to flank the forces on the bridge. and Jillian's flyers may be showing up soon to counter the dwagons and archons

Similarly, I wonder if bridges can be destroyed.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Telva » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:03 pm

raphfrk wrote:
yay wrote:does Gobwin Knob have any water capable units? the bridge could become a huge problem/chokepoint for Ansom and Wanda, especially if the RCC2 decides to commit casters to the defense, or has some water units of its own to flank the forces on the bridge. and Jillian's flyers may be showing up soon to counter the dwagons and archons

Similarly, I wonder if bridges can be destroyed.

"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"
Last edited by Telva on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telva

Postby Diodri » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:24 pm

I'm actually more curious on how these talking sessions occur. In real time, in makes sense, the leaders from both forces walk out at the same time, talk, and walk back. If you see the enemy move, you can retreat. But with turn based, it's different. If you moved your leadership stack into the middle of the bridge, what is stopping the enemy from engaging your stack exclusively to eliminate the leadership? I suppose you could argue that RCC2 would consider that dishonorable, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

tl;dr: In a turn based world, how do you move to the center to parley, without the risk of an ambush?

My theory is that the two forces would have to meet far enough away from the main armies so that they couldn't reach in one turn. Example:

In Ansom's army the unit with the highest move is 50.
In Jetstones army, the unit with the highest move is 40.

Ansom would move his single leadership stack forward, but not far enough to be engaged by Jetstone in one turn. That way if Jetstone did try a surprise attack, he could just retreat.
Then Jetstone moves their leadership stack forward, but again, out of reach of Ansoms army.
Ansom then moves his leadership stack close enough to talk, keeping enough move left to move back to the safe zone. The leadership stacks presumably wouldn't engage one another, because they would be roughly of equal strength.
Talking's over, both sides move their leadership stacks back.
Diodri

Postby LordDarksea » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:26 pm

The question is, when events turn against our 'stalwart' antiheroes, will they end up on suppository bridge... ;)

loving the new art, still crying from the jokes, glad that the stand alone factor is being built in.

HAPPY!
LordDarksea

Postby raphfrk » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:30 pm

Diodri wrote:I'm actually more curious on how these talking sessions occur.

When they spoke with Bea, GK moved its units up to the hex beside their capital. On Unaroyal's turn, they spoke.

The leadership of GK remained in the same hex as their main force. Thus they could retreat if necessary. Unaroyal then moved into that hex in order to talk.

Something like:

Code: Select all
               Hex
             Boundary

|
                |
Unaroyal's      |   Bea / Ansom                   GK's main
Capital         |         Wanda                   Force
                |
                |
                |

If GK moves its main force to attack, then Bea can move back across the zone boundary. If Bea moves forces from her capital across the boundary, then Ansom/Wanda can move back to their main force.

Ofc, it didn't entirely work, as Bea's Chief Warlord managed to kill Cruz.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Phædrus2129 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:38 pm

I suppose this settles that whole nonsense over whether the narrator is opinionated or not. Now to move on...

Who else wants to bet that at some point (in book 2? 3? 7?) there will be a fight on the walls of Gobwin Knob's keep, and someone will be pushed off the walls into the lava. I'm not saying it will be soon, but at some point in the future I think it's bound to happen.

Also: Decrypted archons are red? Cool.
Phædrus2129

Postby Doctor Grumpus » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:08 pm

As for the art, one thing that has struck me (and it could just be me) is that as time goes one, as Parson spends more time in Erfworld, the characters and background become more realistic. I noticed this even with Jamie's art over the course of Book 1. It could be accidental, it could be my interpretation, or it could be something planned. Who knows? But it is a possibly interesting dynamic to the comic: The more that Parson accepts this as reality, the more real it becomes.
Doctor Grumpus
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Darkside007 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:14 pm

Recap comic worthy of Dan Shive. xD

Ah well, what can you do? (Tell people to read the 150+ first comic and 49 updates is what! =P)
Darkside007

Postby StClair » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Expository Bridge! This is me, giggling.
StClair

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions