Book 2 - Page 2

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 2

Postby Danetrix » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:31 pm

BoopingCynic wrote:
raphfrk wrote:
BoopingCynic wrote:But in the image they are both in single hex and they (Ansom, Ossamar and the other one) are alone :|.

The hex boundary could run through the middle of the bridge, unless the bridge is in the centre of the zone.

Also, presumably the 3 are just the Jetstone Princes. Maybe if there is danger, Wanda stayed back.

It would be better to have them have an honor guard because otherwise it is 2 on 1 :geek:.

I dout Ansom is expecting a betrayal. Resoning?

"Sure, that Unaroyal thing was a shocker that they didn't believe me, but this is my family. Surely they'll see the light!"
Danetrix

Postby Phædrus2129 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:00 pm

WarpZone wrote:I actually have a bit of an issue with Expository Bridge... don't get me wrong, I lol'ed when I first read it... but then I realized what a pronounced 4th-wall-breaker it was.

This comic has a fourth wall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TANzZdVx ... re=related
Phædrus2129

Postby BoopingCynic » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:52 pm

Danetrix wrote:
BoopingCynic wrote:
raphfrk wrote:
The hex boundary could run through the middle of the bridge, unless the bridge is in the centre of the zone.

Also, presumably the 3 are just the Jetstone Princes. Maybe if there is danger, Wanda stayed back.

It would be better to have them have an honor guard because otherwise it is 2 on 1 :geek:.

"Sure, that Unaroyal thing was a shocker that they didn't believe me, but this is my family. Surely they'll see the light!"

Still he should have brought some way of defending himself, it is simple sense and Ansom is not stupid :|.
Here lies a toppled God\
His fall was not a small one\
We did but build his pedestal\
A narrow and a tall one.
~ Tlielaxu Epigram ~
BoopingCynic

Postby Macadosche » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:38 am

I like the new art better than the old art.

And that's saying something!
Macadosche

Postby The Shadow » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:15 am

Anton Gaist wrote:*clicks*

*two hours later*

Curse you!

Only two hours? You got off lightly!

This comic is all too appropriate.
The Shadow
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BillMcD » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:37 am

You're missing a trick on Expository Bridge: we're not the only ones getting Exposition. Ossomer and Trammenis are, as well. They're hearing 'what has brought us to this' from Ansom, in effect.
BillMcD

Postby Inst » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:29 am

I don't like the composition in this page (are you going to call me a troll for this? Jackass)

The individual cells feel as though there was no deep attention paid to the combined composition of all the cells, and there are too many panels in the comic.
Inst

Postby Thydron » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:52 am

Inst wrote:I don't like the composition in this page (are you going to call me a troll for this? Jackass)

The individual cells feel as though there was no deep attention paid to the combined composition of all the cells, and there are too many panels in the comic.

how well can you really expect a recap page covering a large amount of time with no dialogue to flow though?

didn't think ansom's carpet would have made it through the volcano explosion - also wonder where wanda got those battle bears; guess some of the cities they captured must be able to produce them

level of little details in the comic is pretty impressive- will be impressed if keeps up
Thydron
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Geek In The Pink » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:37 am

How else would one begin the issue, but with some pages dedicated to exposition? The only other way to accomplish a good in-comic update would be by beginning in medias res, which would need far more storytelling skill (and time) to pull off successfully than two simple introductory pages.

KISS is definitely being applied here.

Also, the perceived lack of 'movement' in the comic is probably due to lack of onomatopoeia and motion blurs, which at this (expository) point in time would not really be needed, IMHO. Give the artist a chance?
Geek In The Pink

Postby WarpZone » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:49 am

MarbitChow wrote:
WarpZone wrote:I actually have a bit of an issue with Expository Bridge... don't get me wrong, I lol'ed when I first read it... but then I realized what a pronounced 4th-wall-breaker it was.

There are a great number of locations whose names are puns already. Expository Bridge makes a good pun in general; it just happens to be situationally appropriate here as well. I wouldn't be surprised to find other bridges named, for example "Dental", "Musical", or "Afourthfore", as well as finding a suspension bridge outside of the city of Disbelief...

Okay, good point? And those are all AWESOME! XD
WarpZone

Postby HandofShadows » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:58 am

The arts good, but the artist is still getting a feel for the comic and I think we will see things get even better than they are now. I would like to point out the excelent colors.
Is it me or does Wanda look a little unhappy? Going to be highly interesating to see how this family reunion goes. :lol: And did Ansom get a new cartpet or is that his one one?
HandofShadows

Postby LogicsFate » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:45 am

I don't know why I didn't notice this the first couple of time I read this page but Parson throws up the Shoker when he says it in the first panel. I love this comic.
LogicsFate

Postby Rhyme-o-mancer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:04 am

The only thing I thought upon reading this was... "Oh snap!"
Rhyme-o-mancer

Postby CubbyTBear » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Nice recap - technical note - the permalinks on the comic page aren't pointed the right way; you can't get to the first comic from the secnod.
CubbyTBear

Postby Lamorak » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:51 pm

The recap is pretty good, and I can see Wanda's costumes are as risque as usual even if a little more conservative. I cant wait for the next update to see Ansom's brothers.

I like the part where on commenting on Parsons strategies it was stated only Stanley could argue with the results. I truly hope that a climax is reached when Stanley tries to disband Parson, finds himself unable, and gets killed by Lord Hamster. That sword Parson threw away would have been good for this moment but perhaps he can manage if he manages to get the Arkenhammer or another Arkentool. Regardless of how it happens, the issue showing Stanleys death will be my most favored of all.
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.
- Sun Tzu
Lamorak

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:45 pm

Hey, I just noticed. Wanda's hair grew. A lot. In book 1 it came down about 2/3 of her back, now it reaches below her butt. It seems Wanda has changed by natural signamancy, just like Jillian. She also got longer hair since she became queen.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby multilis » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:21 pm

More than just exposition, we learned that the decrypted are under Wanda's complete control. We already knew that for 2 of them on top of the leadership (which is assisted by natural thinkomancy), but now we know rest are also under her complete control as well, which also adds to hints that Stanley would be in trouble if she turned/betrayed.

In some games, such as Age of Wonders a turned unit may have low moral and be easier to turn again if it has an opposite natural allignment to the side it has now joined. Eg a turned elf would be more likely to rebel against gobwins than a human.
Last edited by multilis on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multilis

Ah, the brilliant combination of story and art

Postby Roszlishan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:23 pm

starts again ...

It's not surprising to see Ansom continue with this doomed strategy of converting Royalists to Toolists, but it is odd that Stanley's permitting him to do so. Stanley is ... cogitationally challenged, certainly, but he's nothing if not determined. Quite a piker, in some sense.

One wonders what sort of Signamancy, if any, has affected him, and how.

Happiness,
Roszlishan
Roszlishan
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: Ah, the brilliant combination of story and art

Postby multilis » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:31 pm

Roszlishan wrote:starts again ...

It's not surprising to see Ansom continue with this doomed strategy of converting Royalists to Toolists, but it is odd that Stanley's permitting him to do so. Stanley is ... cogitationally challenged, certainly, but he's nothing if not determined. Quite a piker, in some sense.

One wonders what sort of Signamancy, if any, has affected him, and how.

Happiness,
Roszlishan

It is normal to have some diplomacy even among enemies. Jillian asks for Parley before attacking for example and the enemy warlord accepts. Always a small chance that some deal can be reached, even if over a side issue, and by talking both sides gain a bit of intel. They are also family so a sort of moral obligation from their perspective on both sides to at least chat a little to say how much they disagree with each other.

(If everyone else learns the latest gossip and you don't you are at disadvantage, each side has *multiple* enemies)
multilis

Postby Diodri » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:43 pm

BoopingCynic wrote:
Danetrix wrote:
BoopingCynic wrote:

This dialogue brings to light an important thing to consider:

How big is a hex in conventional terms? Without knowing, that bridge could be as many as three hexes long, or the whole bridge could count as one hex.

I think that if Ansom is alone against his two brothers though, he'd be okay. He was (presumably) the first to pop, and so the higehst level of the three brothers, and he also gets Wanda decrypting bonus. He could probably win two on one.
Diodri

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions