Book 2 - Page 4

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 4

Postby Toolbreaker » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:14 pm

OMG love it....

Fly right over all those units and sack that Capital!!!
Toolbreaker

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Glory of Arioch wrote:So Gobwin Knob is committing all its fliers to attacking Jetstone? That's gonna leave GK's capital awfully open to a Jillian sortie...

That on the other hand would be awesome.

And if Charlie knows how GK allocated its troups (maybe scout archons to pierce veils), he/she/it would know how few fliers GK has or whatever. Why not tell Jetstone?- because they were boop-holes to him. Though that would have been a good bit of info to give, so as to prove good faith.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Now that is drama.

Also, it probably explains why we saw cloth golems in Ansom's army. I have a feeling the battle is a lot more eveningly matched now, with Ansom having a large numberd of Dwagona and Archons at the fight. Or, I didn't notice a single unit that couldn't fly after the veil was dispelled. I wonder if they plan on now bypassing the strong hex alltogether and heading straight to the capital. If so, Ansom is still one of Erfworlder's finest strategic minds indeed. The big difference might be that Ansom no longer cares about the welfare of his units, so no more cautious plans that preserve manpower.

I think it's safe to assume Ansom is still calling the shots and making the plans. After Parson declared himself out of the Warlord business, there would need to be some narrative event saying he was back in it.

Also, Dittomancers double effects including leadership bonuses and the presence of other units? Yikes.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:18 pm

Lord Kasavin wrote:I think it's safe to assume Ansom is still calling the shots and making the plans. After Parson declared himself out of the Warlord business, there would need to be some narrative event saying he was back in it.

I agree with you, everyone is so quick to credit this to Parson, or Wanda. Poor Ansom is under-rated around here.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby John Campbell » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Hmm... Archons, dwagons, casters and warlords on dwagonback or magic carpet... does the Gobwin Knob force have any units that can't fly? Do they need that bridge at all? Is there anything preventing them from just flying around the Jetstone army and hitting Spacerock directly while the Jetstone warlords and practically all of their casters are deployed forward with the army? I note that Ansom said, "We certainly could," not, "We certainly can."

Ossomer's made one of the basic Evil Overlord mistakes... gloating over his cunning plan when there's still time for the enemy to do something about it. I suppose it's possible that he, in turn, is attempting to mislead Ansom by feeding him false intelligence, but he doesn't seem the type.

Tramennis does, though. Hmm...

Also, Magenta!Wanda rocks.
John Campbell

Postby ReccaSquirrel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:22 pm

"By discovering the enemy's dispositions and remaining
invisible ourselves, we can keep our forces concentrated, while
the enemy's must be divided." - Sun Tzu
ReccaSquirrel

Postby Anton Gaist » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Is it me or is Jack dressed as the Joker?

Also, damn that's a lot of dwagons.

I so need to know where Jillian is. If she's not around, there's going to be a lot of barbarian units by the time this turn is over. Seriously, why even bother to fight Jetstone's army when GK can just circle around and take the capital?
Last edited by Anton Gaist on Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Carlan wrote:I like the Bride of Frankenstein look there,.

I'd go with "Rocky Horror" rather than Bride of Frankenstein. There's no BoF that I recall where the bride wore fishnets. Rocky Horror on the other hand, did. Note the hair style for Magenta:

OK, so place your bets on strategy: Parson or Ansom? I'm voting for Ansom. He said he had a plan, and the summer updates have already said that Wanda was seeking Parson's advice, they're actually following Ansom's ideas. So I think Ansom did manage to come up with a trick based on his knowledge of his brothers.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Booker91z » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:31 pm

Well, I registered some time ago, but wasn't bothered to post.

This looks like a tactic I am familiar with. Ansom has drawn the bulk (or a large number) of Jetstone forces from the capital, and with the Dwagons higher move, he should be able to fly past the bridge and take the capital. If it works, he will even have a second chance to convert his brothers.

But the best part for me was seeing Jack veiled as a Final Fantasy Dragoon.
Booker91z
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby HailGreen28 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:33 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Lord Kasavin wrote:I think it's safe to assume Ansom is still calling the shots and making the plans. After Parson declared himself out of the Warlord business, there would need to be some narrative event saying he was back in it.

I agree with you, everyone is so quick to credit this to Parson, or Wanda. Poor Ansom is under-rated around here.
QFT We saw Ansom pull some inspired tactics before: The Hunt, The Dance Disco Display.

They were called "ass-pulls" while he was the enemy. Now..... AWESOME! :D

And he played his brothers very well. Got them to say where their casters were, and didn't even crack a smile when saying "You're more commited to holding this bridge than I realized." Ansom has one hell of a poker-face.
Last edited by HailGreen28 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HailGreen28

Postby Erev » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:36 pm

Really, it could be Ansom or Parson. I'm personally leaning towards Parson since Stanley has summoned him even before anything has begun to go wrong - implying that he has a bigger part in this battle than in the previous ones that were fought... be it in planning or whatever. I could definately see Wanda lassoing him into it after Stanley gave her the order to attack Jetstone's capital.
Erev
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby SteveMB » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:37 pm

Anton Gaist wrote:I knew it, those siege towers were terrible strategy. But a veil? That I didn't expect.[/i]

Very clever -- veiled as exactly what Ansom's brother's would expect him to bring based on the sledge-hammer approach he used before....
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby ReccaSquirrel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:41 pm

I have to say though, as a reader, I'm having trouble swallowing that Stanley is favoring Ansom over Parson. Given the extraordinary upkeep that comes with Parson, you'd think he'd be using him for something. The impression thus far is that he isn't using him for anything.
ReccaSquirrel

Postby Fiendishrabbit » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Anton Gaist wrote:Is it me or is Jack dressed as the Joker?

IMHO it looks more like a "step-right-up"-style pitchman.
Fiendishrabbit

Postby HailGreen28 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:43 pm

ReccaSquirrel wrote:I have to say though, as a reader, I'm having trouble swallowing that Stanley is favoring Ansom over Parson. Given the extraordinary upkeep that comes with Parson, you'd think he'd be using him for something. The impression thus far is that he isn't using him for anything.
Stanley appears to personally dislike Parson, and Ansom just demonstrated that he's no slouch when it comes to tactics himself.
HailGreen28

Postby Vex97 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Excellent update.

Jack's dressed like the 70's comic version of the Joker, which seems very appropriate for this particular episode. Magenta-Wanda and her mount are the only units beside Ansom without the transition line showing her veil being dispelled. The sourmander's eyebrows are also missing as been previously noted in this thread.

That raises the possibility that she may still be veiled, since we have been given a glimpse of what she was previously wearing during the same turn. The unit appearing to hold the pliers may not even be Wanda, nor is it necessarily in her general location.

It seems unlikely that Parson would neglect to warn her that Charlie has begun mulling over a direct strike on Wanda or Stanley to dispel belief in the Titanic Mandate. Especially after Parson taunted him.
Vex97

Postby fruityjanitor » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Great comic! Jack veiled as an FF Dragoon and actually dressed as the Joker is awesome! I had a feeling Wanda's costume came from the Rocky Horror Picture Show even though I've never seen it - after reading this thread I guess I was right.

Now if Ossomer was the only Warlord that Jetstone had at this fight, I would guess that Ansom and Wanda were about to annihilate their enemies. However, Tramennis seems like the type to have a few tricks up his sleeve. I hope he doesn't disappoint! :D
fruityjanitor
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:48 pm

ReccaSquirrel wrote:I have to say though, as a reader, I'm having trouble swallowing that Stanley is favoring Ansom over Parson.

Story-wise, I have trouble in the opposite direction. Stanley doesn't really like Parson. Stanley's already demoted Parson. And Stanley doesn't like Parson's tactics because they're too unconventional for his taste. Overall, I'm sure Ansom would have a much easier time getting his plans approved.

Given the extraordinary upkeep that comes with Parson, you'd think he'd be using him for something. The impression thus far is that he isn't using him for anything.

Well, for a bonus for production in the capital. And I think Stanley is keeping Parson around "just in case," even if Stanley would never openly admit it, even to himself.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:57 pm

With all that ego in the hex with those three I'm surprised there was enough room for the other units.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Scott Frantz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:57 pm

So I'll be the first to guess at Cubbins as a Hat Magician.
Scott Frantz

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions