Book 2 - Page 4

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 - Page 4

Postby Prometheus » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Looking at Wanda's afro is causing me physical pain.

Other than that, great strip.
The first step to being right all of the time is to admit that you're wrong most of the time.
Prometheus

Postby raphfrk » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Dr Quest DFA wrote:Should be interesting to see how Jetstone reacts since, presuming it is GK's turn, they should not be able to withdraw to the Capital.

This is one of the issues with Erfworld, from a story point of view, you can't have the leaders of a defending force retreat.

The only way all 3 brothers will live is if GK is pushed back.

Alternatively, the hex beyond the bridge might be part of Spacerock. Thus the defenders would be allowed to switch zone at will, but it would still count as a hex for the attackers.

Toolbreaker wrote:OMG love it....

Fly right over all those units and sack that Capital!!!

That is even better. The 2 brothers survive because Ansom doesn't engage them at all :).

build6 wrote:Every unit Ansom mentioned in the last panel is a flying unit or mounted to fly - it seems like a Parson trick to get Jetstone to move everything to the bridge, and once confirmed ("in that hex there?"), they overfly it and hit the capital from the air. Fewer defenders (and only one caster left?) - easy (easier?) pickings.)

Btw, they could also probably fly around, since flying units don't care about terrain. The 2 brothers would only be able to watch.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:18 pm

I don't think GK is going to go around the hex. If they do, and take the capital, all those tasty units disband.
I think it's far more likely that they take to the air, and start selectively engaging the leaders and casters from the air.
Croak everything that gives the units a bonus, croak all the healing, then mop up everything and decrypt the whole lot.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby multilis » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Jetsome side seems suspicious to me... why gloat? Telling an enemy before a battle what you have reduces your own advantage, unless you wish *both* sides to gain from not fighting.

However a bluff, lying about what you have could make sense... eg if you couldn't get daddy to give you the casters either, you might lie that he did just so you have a chance to bluff out of defeat.
multilis

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:26 pm

Nebulious wrote:"Casters and warlords, mount up!"

Note the plural. Unless he's ordering Wanda to take off, I wonder if there's someone else on this special mission.

And I wondered why neither Jack nor Sizemore were seen in the situation room back in GK. I guess Sizemore is with the army, too. BTW, could Sizemore build a bridge over the river in the next hex? Then also the infantry and siege could circumvent the Jetstone army. Or Sizemore is used to melt a big hole into the city wall.

MarbitChow wrote:I don't think GK is going to go around the hex. If they do, and take the capital, all those tasty units disband.

Not necessarily. The field units with the heir of Jetstone just revert to barbarian. And because Ossomer will lose his status as chief warlord his units will lose a big chunk of bonus. Of course the heir could then just disband all his units so they will not fall in the hands of GK. Another mass suicide in the fashion of Unaroyal.
Last edited by Welf von Ehrwald on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby SandroTheMaster » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:27 pm

So it seems that Jetstone isn't a might-centered side it seemed to be throughout book one, they just didn't want to commit casters to Ansom, believing it was unnecessary.

Also, we get a bit of data upon Dittomancers, doubling variables it seems. Neat, that is a great effect. But so far the Foolamancer seems to be the most versatile and powerful caster, capable of bringing ruin to the most flawlessly perfected plan. (Not that Dirtamancers and Croakmancers ability to make troops on the fly and command them with nice bonus isn't neat, but Jack is frankly made of win).

All in all, it seemed pretty reckless of the Jetstone brothers to take Jack out of the equation when considering their strategy. Especially knowing that GK can make dragons, should have struck as odd to not use them.

Finally: Jack is dressed as the Joker! This is veeeeery nice in so many levels.
3 gaming maxims:
1 - The likeness of a natural 1 is directly proportional to the potential emotional damage of the roll.
2 - Call of Cthulhu games can be shockingly short.
3 - Don't calculate statistics and game. Therein lies madness.
SandroTheMaster

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:34 pm

multilis wrote:Jetsome side seems suspicious to me... why gloat? Telling an enemy before a battle what you have reduces your own advantage, unless you wish *both* sides to gain from not fighting.

However a bluff, lying about what you have could make sense... eg if you couldn't get daddy to give you the casters either, you might lie that he did just so you have a chance to bluff out of defeat.

It could be as simple as Jetstone having reinforcements inbound and delays benefit them greatly. By telling Ansom he can't take the bridge, they hope to delay long enough for more RCC2 sides to arrive. Or, it could be a bluff to lure whatever flying units GK presumabbly had hidden somewhere out in the open to attack the city where a trap is waiting (such as draining the treasury to hire a multiple shockmancers from the MK).
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby SurvivorX » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:36 pm

multilis wrote:However a bluff, lying about what you have could make sense... eg if you couldn't get daddy to give you the casters either, you might lie that he did just so you have a chance to bluff out of defeat.

Well, if that's the case, I think Ansom officially outbluffed him. :P

"I don't have casters, but I'll tell you I do!"
"I do have an overwhelming force of dwagons and archons, but I'll tell you I don't!"

Brilliant. XD
Parson definitely had a hand in this, it absolutely stinks of his handiwork :P

And I don't think they'll just fly over and sack the capital. That many heavies, plus a Healomancer, a Dollamancer, a Dittomancer, all added to GK's force...thanks for letting Ansom know you had all those guys out there, Ossomer! Unaroyal's way out is looking like more and more of an option for Jetstone...
I don't care what kind of laughter it is; if it comes from the DM, it's bad news.
SurvivorX

Postby HandofShadows » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:40 pm

I think Ansom is going for a capital strike. The only way Jetstone is going to surive is they managed to outsmart Ansom and keep the Casters and a large number of their forces back at the capital and Jillian comes in to help. And then it MIGHT be a halfway even fight with GK still having a big advantage. I counted at least 14 dwagons and there should be at least 5 or 6 Archons. Then add in Ansom with Wanda and Jack in support. The only thing that would turn the tide would be if Charlie sent forces. I am not ruling that out yet.
From the sound of it Ansom has been fighting as he normaly did before this, good solid stratagy to be sure, but still the same. Now it seems he is expanded his playbook a LOT for this action. In fact I suspect Ansom deliberatly fought "old School" to lul his brothers into think they knew what he was going to do.

Wanda does not look good with Bride of Frankenstein hair. :(

And I can say I called it. I KNEW Jack was going to be in the field for this one. :) He looks like he is haveing a lot of fun as well.
HandofShadows

Postby DivineDragoonKain » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:41 pm

So, wait. There are black/brown dwagons? I think I missed that, somewhere.
DivineDragoonKain

Postby AJ_Impy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:42 pm

This is sheer brilliance. We know Ansom to be a very, very adaptable warlord from his responses to Parson's innovations. The two of them are now on the same side, and it shows.

Question is, was that fatally flawed 'you can't win' bravado from Ossomer, or another ruse de guerre? Would Ossomer lie about the disposition of his forces using mutually known info to make it seem as if his force was mathematically superior, or would he play it with a straight bat and thus unwittingly hand his brother the keys to Spacerock?

It's worth noting that Ansom said he was going for decapitation back in the summer updates, and that Parson, with one exception, usually rubber-stamps their plans as good. Roll on Wednesday.
AJ_Impy
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Arkaim » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:48 pm

I'm pretty sure the capital of Jetstone is called Jetstone. Not Spacerock.
Arkaim
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:48 pm

Well on the artwork... Jack Rocks. The dwagon swarm rocks. The viel rocks. The archons rock. Wanda... not so much.

And thats owned. Hahahaha! "Our plan is flawless. Oh god why is there a huge swarm of dwagons. Theres more dwagons then you've had turns! Our capital, our precious capital..."
So I wonder what the next move will be? The obvious choice is too just break the capital. Their best units are gone. Its probably over. But then all those tasty units would get missed out on. Its not like they are risking anything if they attack with dwagons, with the decryption and all. And I bet Ansom really doesn't want his brothers to get disbanded; he almost certainly wants them to see the light even if they must first croak.

The real qustion is who is the hier of Jetstone? What happens if a prince turns? Might Ansom become a king? Also I point out that Parson still does battle evaluations. The Jetstones are unlikely to win this.
Lamech

Postby BoopingCynic » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Right now the main problem is that if Ossamar was lying they'll be going into a trap. If not they have just hit Spacerock hard, unless Cubbins and a reserve force can push them back they'll destroy them this turn and since Ossamar and Tramennis are in the Hex alone thet'll be the only ones not disbanded :cry:, but still high level royals :D. Wanda with her hair could shockamancy the entire capital :lol:.

Edit: They have at least 20 Dwagons, and at least 7 archons plus other flyers... pwn :lol:.
Last edited by BoopingCynic on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here lies a toppled God\
His fall was not a small one\
We did but build his pedestal\
A narrow and a tall one.
~ Tlielaxu Epigram ~
BoopingCynic

Postby Toolbreaker » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Arkaim wrote:I'm pretty sure the capital of Jetstone is called Jetstone. Not Spacerock.

According to the original cast page the Tribe is called the Jetstone Tribe, The Capital is named Spacerock.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erfcast.html
Toolbreaker

Postby Anton Gaist » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:19 pm

Lamech wrote:And I bet Ansom really doesn't want his brothers to get disbanded; he almost certainly wants them to see the light even if they must first croak.

No, but he'd probably agree on having them become barbarians.
Lamech wrote:The real qustion is who is the hier of Jetstone? What happens if a prince turns? Might Ansom become a king?

In order to be decrypted, a unit has to croak first. And upon croaking they cease to belong to their former side. So no, Ansom could not be king. He'd have to stop being a GK unit.

Also, am I the only one that feels Trammenis rhymes with Adonis?

PS: Either Jillian will make a surgical strike at GK and have His Toolness call the battle off, or she will show up and turn the tide of this battle. I doubt Jetstone will fall here.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby AngryAngel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:27 pm

kjyl wrote:I think it is safe to say that Ansom on his own is a good warlord. Parson may or not had anything to do with the current plan, but it would not be outside the realm of the possible that it is/was all Ansom's idea. I think the talk on the bridge was more about trying to get his old side to ally with them then anything else, though, I am sure that Ansom is not above getting some good intel out of it.

I agree that Ansom is a good warlord, and always was. Regarding Parson, I seem to recall from the updates that Ansom believed Parson to be a brilliant, if sometimes unconventional, tactician, and that it was Wanda's attitude toward Parson that Ansom found puzzling. Having his plans reviewed by an other warlord seems to me to something that Ansom would do on his own, because that's one of the things good commanders do: the review might catch something that was overlooked or not properly considered.

I'm not going to make an predicitions about the battle, but I am going to wait impatiently for Wednesday.
AngryAngel

Postby Mutant » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:41 pm

I'm always excited to find a new page up. I'm trying to view the new artwork style with an open mind but a couple of choices in this panel were jarring enough for me to comment. I do not like Wanda's new look. Ms. Firebaugh's appearance at the end of book one was excellent. The bride of Frankenstein look is old and trite. Also Jack is looking a little like the Joker. I suggest going with new and original instead of imitating existing genre. Time for a redo.
Mutant

Postby Xorbon » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:45 pm

It looks like arrogance runs in the Jetstone family. Ossomer may live to regret showing his cards to Ansom. ...if he lives at all. ;)

I wonder if either of the two brothers will survive. And if not, will we get to see them decrypted and on the side of their brother Ansom?

Also: Casters! We may get to see some new casters join the GK side. Either as captured or decrypted units.

Of course, all of this presumes GK kicks Jetstone's butt this turn. Maybe there'll be more surprises.
Xorbon

Postby random_guy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Wow, so many people forgot everything about Erfworld mechanics since Book 1. Erfworld is a turn based strategy, there is nothing Charlie, Jillian, or RCC can do to help Jetstone now. If they have units in the capital, then they can help Jetstone in the fight. However, if they want to send reinforcements, then those reinforcements won't arrive until after the GK's attack.

If the capital gets taken, Tramennis and Ossomer might not disband, depending on whether or not one of them is the heir. Remember Jillian? She became a barbarian after FAQ fell, so she clearly did not disband.

I think this might be Ansom's plan, not Parson's. Wanda usually vets his plans through Parson, but there was one update where Stanley called him the the situation room to discuss strategy. It seems like he may have suggested a plan directly to Stanley and bypassed both Wanda and Parson.
random_guy
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions