Book 2 – Page 5

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 5

Postby ReccaSquirrel » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Yosarian wrote:
HandofShadows wrote:I hope Wanda changes her look. I don't like the current one.

Yeah. Wanda's supposed to look like this:

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F028.jpg

There's nothing else in the new art that I dislike, but every time I see Wanda, she looks so different from how she's supposed to look, it totally jars me out of the story.

I think the look is supposed to be unsettling to us readers. If that is the case, it succeeded and I love it. She has a major creepy vibe going on with her.
ReccaSquirrel

Postby OneHugeTuck » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:06 pm

Except that she's not creepy because she's drawn creepy, she's creepy because she's totally not Wanda. Not even a little bit.
OneHugeTuck
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby olooney » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:05 pm

ReccaSquirrel wrote:
Yosarian wrote:
HandofShadows wrote:I hope Wanda changes her look. I don't like the current one.

There's nothing else in the new art that I dislike, but every time I see Wanda, she looks so different from how she's supposed to look, it totally jars me out of the story.

I think the look is supposed to be unsettling to us readers. If that is the case, it succeeded and I love it. She has a major creepy vibe going on with her.

I don't think this is a new permanent look for Wanda. I think it's battle gear, like when Stanley wore his KISS outfit into battle. He reverted to his normal look as soon as the battle was over.
olooney

Postby asparagus » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:47 pm

olooney wrote:I don't think this is a new permanent look for Wanda. I think it's battle gear, like when Stanley wore his KISS outfit into battle. He reverted to his normal look as soon as the battle was over.

I suspect that the new look (and probably all of Wanda's wardrobe) is signamancy. I suspect that this gives some small but very very widely distributed bonus if you match the outfit to what you are doing. I guess what Wanda is saying by the outfit is that she is taking part in some sort of Monstrous Horror Rock Opera which is not untrue in its way.
asparagus

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:26 pm

asparagus wrote:I suspect that this gives some small but very very widely distributed bonus if you match the outfit to what you are doing. I guess what Wanda is saying by the outfit is that she is taking part in some sort of Monstrous Horror Rock Opera which is not untrue in its way.

Great point - she can probably lead her decrypted troops in Dance Fighting as well: "It's just a jump to the left..."
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby Yosarian » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:31 pm

olooney wrote:
ReccaSquirrel wrote:
Yosarian wrote:

I don't think this is a new permanent look for Wanda. I think it's battle gear, like when Stanley wore his KISS outfit into battle. He reverted to his normal look as soon as the battle was over.

It's not what she's wearing or her hairdo. I don't care if she changes that. It's that she looks nothing like Wanda; not her face, or her body, or her demeaner, or anything. There's nothing about her that's recognizable; first time we saw her, the only reason anyone was even able to figure out it was her was the pliers. Whenever someone talks about Wanda, I picture Wanda, and then they show a picture of someone completely different, and it's really jarring.

In general, I think the new art is really good, and they really captured Stanly, and Parson, and Ansom, and all the other main character really well, as well as minor ones like the Archeons. Wanda, though, is just not right.
Yosarian

Postby asparagus » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Yosarian wrote:Wanda, though, is just not right.

I think if you study the two pictures (though most recent) and Wanda in the white leather kit, I find myself thinking yes the face is recognisably the same and yet very different. The new one is a much harsher, less cutesy face. However I would have to put that down to artistic style.
asparagus

Postby Simons Mith » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:52 pm

Well, one of Wanda's particular charms is, if you don't like her current getup, all you have to do is wait half a dozen strips ...
Simons Mith

Postby Lady Nerevar » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:30 pm

i think part of whats throwing people off about the new wanda is the coloring. throughout book 1 her face (and body) changed a hundred times, but what made us recognize her was the color of her skin and the blue makeup. now that she has got the pale facepaint and red lips, its a bit harder to recognize her as wanda. i personally dont mind it, especially since its likely to change ;)
Lady Nerevar

Postby Firkraag » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:53 pm

I like her face, especially on panel 9, but I just don't care for the afro :P She just doesn't look very evil.
Lord Firkraag, player character
Conqueror of Europe, Middle-Earth, Erathia, Myth, Faerun, Old World.
Level 10 Undead Necromancer with 12 Artifacts

Acherusis
a Neverwinter Nights 2 adventure
by Lord Firkraag
Firkraag

Postby Carlan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Jatopian wrote:Perhaps Banana is still traumatized by its last rider.

Then again, we don't know that that really is Banana.

They were going to hire a dwagon therapist, but gave up after spending an entire turn convincing Stanley that they weren't talking about some sort of super caster dwagon.
Carlan

Postby sheepfly » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Carlan wrote:

They were going to hire a dwagon therapist, but gave up after spending an entire turn convincing Stanley that they weren't talking about some sort of super caster dwagon.

C'mon, Banana's broken goods. No one will ever love him again, and he will croak alone and unwept.
What would YOU say if you'd won with strength and duty and honor every time when suddenly a veiled flying zero-upkeep 100% recycled army of former friends showed up to croak you with massive numbers and bonuses and skulls with little pink flowers?

Yeah..
sheepfly

Postby radishlaw » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:32 am

The red "guy" in the last panel is clearly a decrypted infantry unit (compare it to the third to last panel in Book 2 page 1).

I do have to wonder why is there a dwagon without any rider and an infantry without a ride.
radishlaw

Postby Carlan » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:51 am

sheepfly wrote:
Carlan wrote:

C'mon, Banana's broken goods. No one will ever love him again, and he will croak alone and unwept.

At the end of Book 2, Banana will still be sulking and riderless. Then, out of nowhere, Dora will appear! She'll tell Banana all about meeting the Titans and how they sent her back. Then they'll hug and fly off together to form a new side.
Carlan

Postby HailGreen28 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:20 am

Menas wrote:All good points. If a bat can relay information simply by observing (this might be a Vinny only thing though) then that would make them the super scout unit.

I agree that Wanda is probably going to be in for a rude surprise if she tries to take out the princes. I would hope so anyway. If not then the RCC pretty much deserves to lose Jetstone.
Sure would make bats very useful units, if the natural scouting ability is rare. I like it!

Yeah, if Wanda can just swoop in and grab one or both Princes, then Jetstone is too stoopid to live.
HailGreen28

Postby Cappucinospider » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:28 pm

I also noticed the Supox potted plant. What a magnificent little shout-out!
Cappucinospider

Postby DevilDan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:06 pm

radishlaw wrote:The red "guy" in the last panel is clearly a decrypted infantry unit (compare it to the third to last panel in Book 2 page 1).

I do have to wonder why is there a dwagon without any rider and an infantry without a ride.

Maybe only some dwagons can carry riders. I've always wondered why Stanley took only three knights (and Jack) when he hightailed it out of GK and ran for Faq.

Maybe only some units can ride flying units: but that would have been brought up in the Banana incident.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Previous

Return to Reactions