RIP, Grandma. <3
Mar '29 - Oct '10
Rosa Vernal

Re: Book 2 – Page 7

Postby Lord Kasavin » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:15 am

Rosa Vernal wrote:*snickers* Catch-22.

Very nice.

Well done, indeed.

For those who might be curious, a prominent character in Catch-22 was named Major M. Major (with the M being short for Major of course). However, he did not know this until he signed up for the armed forces, as his father told his mother that he had named the son Caleb. After joining the army, he's soon promoted by a computer with a sense of humor to the rank of (you guessed it) Major. Hence, his full name and title was Major Major Major Major. Perfect for a dittomancer.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:53 am

Um, i thought Catch-22 was set in WWII. How could someone be promoted by a computer?
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Lord Kasavin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:09 am

Dr Pepper wrote:Um, i thought Catch-22 was set in WWII. How could someone be promoted by a computer?

You're more puzzled by a a computer during WWII than one with a sense of humor? It is literature, afterall.

To answer your question, computers not only existed during the 1940's, but were vital for managing logistics and tasks like cryptology. Admittedly, they ran on punch cards and were as large as a bedroom, but computers none the less.

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Dr Pepper » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:15 am

Lord Kasavin wrote:
Dr Pepper wrote:Um, i thought Catch-22 was set in WWII. How could someone be promoted by a computer?

You're more puzzled by a a computer during WWII than one with a sense of humor? It is literature, afterall.

To answer your question, computers not only existed during the 1940's, but were vital for managing logistics and tasks like cryptology. Admittedly, they ran on punch cards and were as large as a bedroom, but computers none the less.

I am quite aware of that. I also know about Boole, Babbage, Lovelace, the Jacquard Looms, and the 1910 census.

It is because i know about those things that i ask how could someone be promoted by a computer in WWII. Do you have an answer?
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:24 am

Dr Pepper wrote:
Lord Kasavin wrote:

I am quite aware of that. I also know about Boole, Babbage, Lovelace, the Jacquard Looms, and the 1910 census.

It is because i know about those things that i ask how could someone be promoted by a computer in WWII. Do you have an answer?

Catch-22.

Lord Kasavin

Previous

Return to Reactions