Book 2 – Page 8

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 8

Postby MonteCristo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:21 pm

OneHugeTuck wrote:2. I don't play RTS games. How many volleys to archers get during a turn/defense?

I think your confusing terms a bit...
RTS, is real time stradegy... no turns
However, when it comes to erfworld it seems they use a bit of both... Turn-based for overall movement, but RTS, during combat and within a particular hex.
Whether or not the archers have a limit number of volley's is questionable, as we do not know erfworld mechanics...

A "volley" for instance could be a special move of somekind and thus may have a limit to how many times they can be fired. However, if the volley is just normal arrow shooting by erforld's standards, then that would mean the limit on the number of volley's would be the same as the number of arrows archers get to use... which for a lot of games is infinite.
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby genuine » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:22 pm

This being Jack, I can't help but think that he's going to pull the same trick he did when Stanley was trying to charge through the vampires (here)- fake the hits via foolamancy while everyone does something different. In other words, Ansom isn't necessarily where Ossamer thinks he is at the moment.

Also, the volleyball -> archery terms got used the first time way back, when the woodsy elves were trying to break the 3 dragons to get to the wounded ones. Remember?
genuine

Postby teratorn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:33 pm

genuine wrote:This being Jack, I can't help but think that he's going to pull the same trick he did when Stanley was trying to charge through the vampires (here)- fake the hits via foolamancy while everyone does something different. In other words, Ansom isn't necessarily where Ossamer thinks he is at the moment.

I'm not sure Jack can concentrate to cast, injured as he is. Casters tend to be low on hitpoints.

By the way, the number of dead guys around the Jetstone brothers is impressive. Where those duplicates made by the dittomancer?
teratorn

Postby mblackadder » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:39 pm

Just because Jack is Jack does not mean he's not going to be at issue. Remember he's got an arrow in him at the moment. We don't have a view of him in the last panel. Remember how much damage it took to put Wanda down to "critical going to die without aid?" Jack my already be there even if he's still on the Dwagon. Remember we can clearly see the veil dropping the instant Jack get's hit. He's not in a good way and should not be counted on as able to veil anything automaticly. That issues up in the air.

OAN I now have one Grant that Scarlet is going to be an running inside joke of the forum's here. She will never be mentioned in screen but she will always be there at every engagement in the background, hard to make out and blurry.
mblackadder
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby theseus2x » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:41 pm

Well... supposedly all those archers are in the same hex. It seems plausible?
theseus2x

Postby ZePlasma » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:42 pm

teratorn wrote:
genuine wrote:This being Jack, I can't help but think that he's going to pull the same trick he did when Stanley was trying to charge through the vampires (here)- fake the hits via foolamancy while everyone does something different. In other words, Ansom isn't necessarily where Ossamer thinks he is at the moment.

I'm not sure Jack can concentrate to cast, injured as he is. Casters tend to be low on hitpoints.

By the way, the number of dead guys around the Jetstone brothers is impressive. Where those duplicates made by the dittomancer?

Its possible hes useing foolamancy and there really is no arrow in him
ZePlasma

Postby teratorn » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:00 am

ZePlasma wrote:Its possible hes useing foolamancy and there really is no arrow in him

The displacement drops when he is hit. He's injured.

I'm not sure but aren't the blue dwagons the ones that make smoke clouds? That can work as cover to prevent more arrows
(now that they can see them they could direct their fire).
teratorn

Postby name lips » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:01 am

Jack's not dead -- too much story remaining between him and Jillian to throw him away now.

I predict a brother-exchange -- GK forces get Trem, and Jetstone gets Ansom. And perhaps some negotiations for a prisoner exchange.

But as far as the next comic is concerned... I wonder if Wanda will decrypt the fallen Jetstone troops?

edit: wait, oss mentioned that GK would attack before the "shockomancy wore off". So they're not dead, just shocked.
name lips

Postby badninja » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:03 am

Wow, this is not going to end well. Wanda get those troops decrypted fast, because you could end up loosing not only a good caster but your warlord. On second thought, loose that warlord GK needs Parson back in charge. :D

He may not be able to lead leave GK but I have a higher opinion of him and what he can do. So yes save the Foolamancer take over the World.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby shneekeythelost » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:04 am

I'm surprised no one had mentioned the meme yet..

"Yo, I hear you like shootin'. So we put bows on yer bows so you can shoot while you're shooting"... dittomancer style

Honestly, if I thought it was remotely possible, I'd snag the damn Dittomancer, it's worth more than anything else in the hex. Kill and decrypt if he won't Turn.
shneekeythelost

Postby the_tick_rules » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:07 am

quadrouple the arrows? I wonder how that happened.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby AngryAngel » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:17 am

OneHugeTuck wrote:1. So watching all those arrows go a LONG way, I wonder what is the range of an archer.

An entire hex?

Would be interesting if a dittomancer could double range.

2. I don't play RTS games. How many volleys to archers get during a turn/defense?

Depends on the hex. Seriously, a medieval longbowman could shoot about 600 yards (meters) in volly mode. I may be wrong about the max range, but whatever it actually was, it was a long way.
AngryAngel

Postby BiSp2001 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:20 am

They are all in the same hex. And with a warlord in the Stack the archers can fire a target of will.
Now BK has to fight in the shade! :D
BiSp2001

Postby antone » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:24 am

the funny thing is that if this sortie goes badly for GK Ansom will not be the only one to blame Parson for it
antone

Postby Lady Nerevar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:28 am

..And did anyone notice the dying decrypted archon (with the PCP) is the same chick with the grey hair who's face we didn't see last time? AND NOW WE'LL NEVER SEE HER FACE!!!!

it was determined on IRC that I was that archon.

/me mourns her own croaking (again...)
Lady Nerevar

Postby Ytaker » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:31 am

AngryAngel wrote:
Depends on the hex. Seriously, a medieval longbowman could shoot about 600 yards (meters) in volly mode. I may be wrong about the max range, but whatever it actually was, it was a long way.

With a powerful shot, 200 metres to penetrate chain mail 100 metres to penetrate plate mail, 50 metres to penetrate highest quality full plate. In a volley, you might just shoot it 300-350 metres, and hope it hit skin or clothes. In England, I know the minimum practice range was 220 yards. Or as Sir Roger Williams said "Out of 5000 archers not 500 will make any strong shootes . . . few or none do anie great hurt 12 or 14 score off." So, he was complaining that they were too weak to shoot and hurt at 220-260 yards (a score is 20 yards)
Ytaker

Postby DoctorJest » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:39 am

ShinyBrownCoat wrote:Did "Tesla!" remind anyone else of Warehouse 13?

It reminded me of Nikolai Tesla. "Teleforce" was his design for a charged particle beam (aka the Tesla Deathray).
DoctorJest

Postby Dr Quest DFA » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:45 am

Couple things:

1: Seems like the troops around the Brothers Jetstone were not killed since Oss implies the shockamancy will wear off. No insta-decrpytion for Wanda as surprise reinforcements.

2: Never underestimate Jack, this all could be a show. I don't think so, since Wanda wants him to conserve his juice but it is possible. That would mean that Jack would have to concentrate for the displacement and it is not a one time casting.

3: What, no friendly fire on Oss and Trem from the mass volley? Boo!

4. Dittomancer can apparently ditto the ditto. Imagine getting two of them together and lobbing a couple giant stones at a massed enemy.

5. SCARLET WILL SAVE THE DAY!!11!!one11!!one!1 (also, is that Scarlet deflecting arrows in the background of the last panel? Because if it is she just got that much more awesome)

6. Finally I like the idea of the Brothers being swapped (Ansom for Trem). Good area for character development, assuming Trem isn't converted once he is returned to GK's hex.

Can't wait for the next update.
Dr Quest DFA
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby THF » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:56 am

Very, very, cool page. I like how Xen (hope I'm spelling that right) showed us an archon croaking and dissolving into nothingness. Must have been a huge number of arrows that hit here because I can't imagine an arrow really being all that powerful.
THF

Postby MonteCristo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:07 am

Dr Quest DFA wrote:1: Seems like the troops around the Brothers Jetstone were not killed since Oss implies the shockamancy will wear off. No insta-decrpytion for Wanda as surprise reinforcements.

Good point, those units are not dead, they were just stunned... seems much less overpowering then the assumption that they were all croaked
3: What, no friendly fire on Oss and Trem from the mass volley? Boo!

Well it was an "overhead" volley... the archers were aiming in the general area beyond Oss and Trem, so they would litter the sky above them with arrows, but not having too many fall in the area where the princes are... Afterall, none of those arrows seemed to hit ansom, and that's likely because he was flying low and closing in on Oss. The other units were likely either high up or further back. The last panel does make it seem like the arrows are pretty well overhead... really, they could have better avoided the arrow attack if they all got really close to the princes
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions