Book 2 – Page 8

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 8

Postby multilis » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:33 am

Ansom didn't just accept the attack, he questioned it including whether a caster was qualified to judge. Normally a warlord would have time to think over a plan including looking at enemy counters, in this case the casters rushed things so neither Ansom or Parson could.

Casters may not know as much about combat, they made a newbie/overconfident mistake, and perhaps bad luck. (Like a newbie at chess who captures the enemy queen without looking first if enemy can checkmate in response, very common type of mistake)
Last edited by multilis on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
multilis

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:35 am

multilis wrote:...I could do some very similar ones about "fanatical athiests".

Yeah, like how every time a fanatical atheist sneezes and you say "bless you" and they stab you in the face with a gun! I hate that. Those guys suck.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby multilis » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:43 am

MarbitChow wrote:

Yeah, like how every time a fanatical atheist sneezes and you say "bless you" and they stab you in the face with a gun! I hate that. Those guys suck.

Straw man? (represent an opponents argument with an absurd "example")
multilis

Postby crazyguy_co » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:45 am

MarbitChow wrote:

More like the ones who come on webcomic forums and make totally unrelated and unsubstantiated slams on religion just because they can, I'd say.
crazyguy_co

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:46 am

Let's let the straw atheist and the electrical monk dish it out between themselves elswhere while we, all the members of this forum here, avoid flame wars on things not worthy of wasting ink on.

So back to the important topics, like where is Jillian? I kinda fear that an abrupt perspective switch will delay us knowledge of the fate of our favourite purple caster.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:58 am

Ahhh, crap. I left off the big grin that was supposed to go on the end of that post - it wasn't intended to start a flame war.
I have actually considered stabbing people in the fact with a gun, but never over religion.
Fanatics on all sides don't bring anything to the table, because they're never interested in dialog - they mostly just shout.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:03 am

Well Mr. Chow, you certainly are an education about stabbing. I never knew you could stab people in the face with a gun, but to stab them in the fact took me by complete surprise :D
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Lord Kasavin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:08 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Let's let the straw atheist and the electrical monk dish it out between themselves elswhere while we, all the members of this forum here, avoid flame wars on things not worthy of wasting ink on.

So back to the important topics, like where is Jillian? I kinda fear that an abrupt perspective switch will delay us knowledge of the fate of our favourite purple caster.

His fate? He's a colorful character (though probably hard to write for) with a loyal fan following who also provides some convient hand waving. His fate is he took some damage and is still very much alive.

Does anyone else wonder if being damage dispelled the displacement or if Jack being damage meant the displacement is down for everybody? I assume the former since Wanda is not shown to have her veil displaced.

P.S. As a very ardent Catholic, I am more than willing to go pages and pages off topic in defense of faith. Let's not though, OK?
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:16 am

Lord Kasavin wrote:His fate? He's a colorful character (though probably hard to write for) with a loyal fan following who also provides some convient hand waving. His fate is he took some damage and is still very much alive.

Aww come on, things are never that easy. Several people are getting worried about him croaking eventually. Then the battle going on is another complicating factor. So, yeah, we know as much as you say but are concerned enough to be more impatient about finding out more.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:18 am

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Well Mr. Chow, you certainly are an education about stabbing. I never knew you could stab people in the face with a gun, but to stab them in the fact took me by complete surprise :D

How else do you deal with inconvenient facts?
I tried talking to his parents, but the parents were completely rude.

"Oh, little Jimmy Fact would never harm you! He's just a compilation of data points that don't necessarily lead to any conclusions."
I knew better. Oh yes.

Sure, he seems all innocent now, but in a few years he'll be hooking up with Susie Hypothesis at Make-yer Point, and we ALL know where THAT leads.
So I got my stabbing gun right here, Jimmy, and I'm keeping an eye on you.
MarbitChow

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:24 am

teratorn wrote:By the way, the number of dead guys around the Jetstone brothers is impressive. Where those duplicates made by the dittomancer?

I don't think they are dead, just all stunned - shockmancy is known to be able to stun, and Oss does say this page "He'll have to strike, before the shockmancy wears off" - which makes me think it is only a matter of time before those noble warlords start getting up.

ZePlasma wrote:Its possible hes useing foolamancy and there really is no arrow in him

I don't know, the whole point of the displacement was because Wanda specifically told Jack to conserve his juice - they could have gone in under a more powerful veil and didn't. If it now turns out in addition to the displacement Jack is also making it appear, to the Jetstone troops, like they have succeeded in knocking down the veil and injuring the troops, well...

Lord Kasavin wrote:5) Anyone else hope we get to see Ossomer go superhero and wipe out some Dwagons singlehandedly? Or perhaps the other casters make their presence felt. An interesting and unexpected application of Healamancy might be a "leprosy" type spell that stops units from recovering HP at dawn.

I would - everyone has got to show off so far a little, Ansom plan apparently working, Jack and his magic, Archons flashing and shocking, Trem demonstrating his smarts, dittomancer... Oss will hopefully get a chance to display his prowess as well.

darkgolem wrote:To be honest, I don't like when there is a sudden twist which doesn't have any precursor, such as the prince whatsisnames teleforce thingy.

I don't see why - the bracer has been on his wrist since we first saw him, and he is the chief warlord of one of the most powerful sides in known Erfworld. If there is anyone you expect to have a nifty magical doo-dad it would be someone like that.

crazyguy_co wrote:More like the ones who come on webcomic forums and make totally unrelated and unsubstantiated slams on religion just because they can, I'd say.

We don't need to go down the path, but I imagine the original poster was getting at certain types of fundamental thinking which, depending on how one looked at it, Ansom might be subject to at the moment (via the whole titan mandate bit, toolism and his devotion to Wanda).

But I don't think it is really relevant, if it does come to it I said earlier on what I thought might happen if Ansom got abandoned, and he probably would blame Parson if something goes wrong here because Wanda essentially told him this is what Parson wanted them to do.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby theseus2x » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:38 am

badninja wrote:Wow, this is not going to end well. Wanda get those troops decrypted fast, because you could end up loosing not only a good caster but your warlord. On second thought, loose that warlord GK needs Parson back in charge. :D

He may not be able to lead leave GK but I have a higher opinion of him and what he can do. So yes save the Foolamancer take over the World.

Actually, based on Ossomer's comments, I would say those troops are merely incapacitated via Shockomancy. I don't think any of them are dead.
theseus2x

Postby Smoker » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:58 am

Im really hesitant to write this.. you know, the whole fuel-to-the-fire thing. But I dont want this guy (or others like him) to think that "unrelated unsubstatiated slams" is what im about. I urge people to let this matter drop after I try to clear this up a bit, and if you still think I'm a jerk, then PM me.

crazyguy_co wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:

More like the ones who come on webcomic forums and make totally unrelated and unsubstantiated slams on religion just because they can, I'd say.

It was totally not a slam on religion, and if my writing was so poor that it looked like it was, then I apologise.

What I was doing, was drawing a parallel between Ansom, who sees his life in a very religious context, and is more or less obsessed (who else would wage war on their own family?), with "some" people in the real world who are also obsessed with their religions. Religions themselves are great. Heck, I'M religious, but there are "people" out there who are crazy about them. If anyone got slammed, it was crazy people, not religions.

Now remember, the original comment was in response to the question "How would Ansom feel about Wanda if he was abandoned?"

So, what I was trying to say, was that I have found in my personal experience with "some" people who could be considered as crazy as Ansom is about HIS new religion, is that they generally dont reconsider their religion when something terrible happens. That makes me think that Ansom, like this particular minority of real-world people Im talking about, will not be mad at his Mistress Wanda if things go pear-shaped. I suspect he'll find some other rationale, perhaps considering himself a martyr, or blaming it on Parson, particularly since Wanda made it look like his idea.

So yeah, that's my justification for the comment, if Im still a jerk, lets duke it out off the boards. (or if you really want to have the last public word, go for it, but I wont respond.)

In other news, I would love it if Jack WAS faking the displacement getting revealed. I've always found "illusionist" characters to be next to worthless, but Jack is seriously changing my mind on this.

And I'd love to know what that Dittomancer is costing Jetstone in upkeep. Quadrupling an attack?? Yikes.
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby Nebulious » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:02 pm

BLANDCorporatio, I adore that avatar. I too, want to believe.
This cold night will turn us all into fools and madmen.
Nebulious
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Thank you.

The truth is out there.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Smoker » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:31 pm

Also, we dont see ANY displaced units after Jack gets the arrow in the back. I suspect the whole effect is over, not just for those who got hit.

(Wanda got her bubble pop off before the volley.)
No, no. It hit him in the brain because it killed him. - Dante
Smoker

Postby Menas » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:10 pm

If Ansom gets croaked they'll have no choice but to make Parson Chief Warlord again.

As for the battle, if the capture plan looks like it's not going to happen Wanda could always just choose to torch the warlord stack since everyone in that stack is knocked out right now except for the two princes. And one of those princes is incapacitated.
Menas

Postby Hobgobwin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Not really. They have plenty of much higher-level warlords.
Una-royal's ex-chief warlord, for example.
Hobgobwin

Postby theseus2x » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Smoker wrote:Also, we dont see ANY displaced units after Jack gets the arrow in the back. I suspect the whole effect is over, not just for those who got hit.

(Wanda got her bubble pop off before the volley.)

No, but the veil covering Ansom was dispelled. To me, that's a strong implication that Jack can't maintain his foolomancy when he gets hurt. Ergo, everyone is now visible and the displaced units vanish. Obviously, this is not conclusive, but I feel its strongly implied.

It is impressive, though, that the Archons and Blue Dwagons can zap the stack and Wanda can even use the bubblegum bubble without breaking the veil. Good on Jack.

Smoker wrote:If Ansom gets croaked they'll have no choice but to make Parson Chief Warlord again.

It won't happen, though Jetstone MIGHT take him prisoner. (Or Jack....)
theseus2x

Postby One Skunk Todd » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:56 pm

crazyguy_co wrote:Someone mentioned this, but a sabre seems an odd choice of weapon for Ossomer. Sabres are dueling/fencing weapons, made to accent speed and skill. Ossomer is massive, and I woulda expcted either a Claymore or longsword, which better allow for size, strength, and reach.

He probably can't use a two-handed weapon and still get his ranged attack. It is a weird looking sword, at least in combination with somebody apparently in full-plate. Looks like a cutlass to me but I doubt he's about to go all piratey on us. :) Probably the most powerful one-handed-type weapon he can get his hands on.

theseus2x wrote:It is impressive, though, that... ...Wanda can even use the bubblegum bubble without breaking the veil.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if the bubble is not necessarily an attack that does damage but rather a snare or tangle of some sort. Most games I've played that have a hidden/veiled/invisible component rule that the cover is broken if you make an attack.

Edited for typos
One Skunk Todd
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions