hanglekuk wrote:I wonder how much predictomancy differs from Parson's calculator? Looks like similar thing, but a little more accurate.
Different applications, I think.
Calculator - you can ask it any question, and it'll give a probabilistic answer. The downside is that this answer is only as useful as what you know how to do with it and the information you have - if you ask a vague question, you'll get a useless answer. If you ask a question without knowing all the things that might affect the answer, you won't know what information you just got or how to use it. However, the upside is that you really can ask it what seems to be any question at all - past, future, "what if".
Predictamancy - from what we know of it, everything that is predicted DOES happen. It's not a statement of probability or likelihood - it WILL happen. That makes it in some ways more useful and in some ways less useful. It's more useful because, well, you then know the future. No ifs ands or buts, no worrying about whether you asked a slightly wrong question or that there's something you missed that'll make the 1% chance happen. However, you can ONLY predict what will happen. For example, I don't think you can do predictamancy on a "what if" scenario. And, if you do predictamancy, you can't change the outcome anymore - if it's been predicted that your kingdom will fall, well, then your kingdom will fall and you just have to plan around it. (Whereas, with the bracer, even if it gives a 99% chance of something happening, you can do your damned best to force reality into that 1% - it's not certain, just unlikely, and people can make unlikely things happen by working at it.) I'd also guess that you can't just predictamancy answers to any question you want, even about the future - there's probably some limits, though that is entirely my guessing.
Of course, most of what I just said is complete speculation - we don't really know how predictamancy works, other than that it predicts stuff, and we don't really know how the bracer ticks, other than that it gives probabilistic answers to complex questions. So take it with a teaspoon of salt.