Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby multilis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Parson apparently *isn't* too heavy to fly... it just takes at least 3 archons and a net. (And those archons might need to be heavy lifters/high level) -> Book 1 Charlie asking him to turn.
multilis
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby gameboy1234 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:20 pm

multilis wrote:Parson apparently *isn't* too heavy to fly... it just takes at least 3 archons and a net. (And those archons might need to be heavy lifters/high level) -> Book 1 Charlie asking him to turn.


I don't think we know that Parson was going to be flown out, just captured. Look at the Archons dragging Ossomer away in book 2. And capture is probably something you can only do to enemy unit. Three Archons with a net can't carry Parson because he's on their side.

In the summer updates, Maggie speculates that Parson is a "heavy" and can't ride a flying mount, even a dwagon. Her words, in quotes just like that. And she's right.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

Avatar hoarked from PS238.
User avatar
gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby suryasm » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Eh, I dunno about you guys, but this update struck me as so much filler. We got practically nothing new other than the fact that bats have a limited broadcast range and Don can't fly.

Wonder which pages are going to be redone tho... can't wait :mrgreen:
suryasm
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:38 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby Infidel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:08 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:
multilis wrote:Parson apparently *isn't* too heavy to fly... it just takes at least 3 archons and a net. (And those archons might need to be heavy lifters/high level) -> Book 1 Charlie asking him to turn.


I don't think we know that Parson was going to be flown out, just captured. Look at the Archons dragging Ossomer away in book 2. And capture is probably something you can only do to enemy unit. Three Archons with a net can't carry Parson because he's on their side.


They dragged him on the ground to avoid all the arrows.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
User avatar
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby dybo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:22 pm

....as a resident of King County, I find this update just a teensy bit creepy...crafty Don
User avatar
dybo
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby carisbourg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:44 pm

dybo wrote:....as a resident of King County, I find this update just a teensy bit creepy...crafty Don

So which King County do you live in?

The one with Seattle?
The most Republican county in the US?
Or the one in New South Wales

Wikipedia, helping you find trivia since 2001
carisbourg
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:10 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby Nebulious » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:07 pm

suryasm wrote:Eh, I dunno about you guys, but this update struck me as so much filler. We got practically nothing new other than the fact that bats have a limited broadcast range and Don can't fly.


Other than the one about his heirs, this update more than any other has told us about Don King as a person. He knew his father for two weeks, never leaves his capitol, and every attempt so for for him to to have a royal successor has ended in tragedy. What a lonely man.
This cold night will turn us all into fools and madmen.
User avatar
Nebulious
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby Anias » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:18 pm

It should probably be mentioned, in response to the few of you who've said that Jack is out of things: the choice was between "use a scroll to heal him" or "decrypt him." Since they (presumably, assuming Wanda followed Stanley's orders) healed him, it's entirely possible that Jack is back to full health, none the worse for the wear. At the very least, he is likely conscious and capable of movement under his own power: he's no longer a liability, he will (at a minimum) be able to offer advice, and he might well be able to cast another spell or two.
Anias
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby Sinrus » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:45 pm

stanley never ordered him healed. He only forbade Wanda to decrypt him.
User avatar
Sinrus
 
Posts: 824
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:00 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby sheepfly » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:09 pm

Sinrus wrote:stanley never ordered him healed. He only forbade Wanda to decrypt him.


Wanda needs the foolamancy. She's not going to leave Jack incapacitated.
What would YOU say if you'd won with strength and duty and honor every time when suddenly a veiled flying zero-upkeep 100% recycled army of former friends showed up to croak you with massive numbers and bonuses and skulls with little pink flowers?

Yeah..
User avatar
sheepfly
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:42 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby sheepfly » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Firkraag wrote:Don King is on the wrong side of the war.

First of all, vampires should be with the evil & undead guys. Second, Mafia-style bloodsuckers are too awesome to be with Jetstone.

Every update makes me wish there was an Erf strategy game to play.


If all evil dudes/"bad guys" were on the same team, you wouldn't have real life gangs and ethnic mafias out for each other's blood.

Transylvito's got style: they bankroll key players to keep their influence behind the scenes, and only get directly involved in open warfare when it's on their turf and there's a high-value target (with high-value goods) to be whacked.

However, you might see a shift in allegiance if Don King gets de-throned by either his new royal heir or Caesar.
What would YOU say if you'd won with strength and duty and honor every time when suddenly a veiled flying zero-upkeep 100% recycled army of former friends showed up to croak you with massive numbers and bonuses and skulls with little pink flowers?

Yeah..
User avatar
sheepfly
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:42 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby BillMcD » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:01 pm

carisbourg wrote:
dybo wrote:....as a resident of King County, I find this update just a teensy bit creepy...crafty Don

So which King County do you live in?

The one with Seattle?
The most Republican county in the US?
Or the one in New South Wales

Wikipedia, helping you find trivia since 2001


Don't forget Brooklyn, NY. The borough of Brooklyn, between Manhattan (New York County) and Queens (Queens County) is also Kings County, NY. So, Don King is potentially a product of Kings County, eh? Whaddayaknow, y'know what I'm sayin'? Fuggeddaboutit.
BillMcD
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby Glenn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:02 pm

The most interesting about this update to me is how Don sees the stakes of the battle. This is not a normal war to him; if Jillian loses, he thinks he may literally be watching the beginning of the end of the world. And he may be right, especially if one side conquering the world means the end of Erfworld.
Glenn
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 3:04 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby Django » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:11 pm

badninja wrote:I found this update interesting. Don King is growing on me and if RCC II fails he should switch over to GK's side. Stanly needs someone to show him how to be a ruler and Don King is the perfect choice. It would give Ansom's tactic some more power. Plus I want to see Jillian's face when she must work with Stanly as an ally. :D

On a side note I want to learn more about King Country and how he ran things. This bat is either really old because he knows when Don King was popped or he knows is sides history really well. Don King took over at 15 turns, he and Parson could share stories about sudden leadership and how to be an effective leader, because I got a hunch they would both like each other if they got to know each other.


I disagree totally.

1) If RCC II fails and Transilvito switches there would basically be no opposition left, that would be quite boring. Besides Jillian would never ever work with Stanley as an ally. She would first break with Transilvito.

2) The whole Don King goes Royal because of Queen Bea's suicide would have been only a ruse, which would lower his character in my opinion. He is using his wits working against GK but he is doing it out of principle and emotion. Much more dramatic tension this way.
Django
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:01 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:24 pm

Dr Quest DFA wrote:I would put forth that we are seeing Jillian forming up because she knows toruble is heading her way. GK has probably decided to still go through with the decapitation strike (unless the turnamancer can muck with move actions as well). Should be a fun fight.


Jillian has a longer range than most dragons and archons. Jillian can chase them anywhere if she wants to.
pSycHOtic chICkeN
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby multilis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:30 pm

Django wrote:I disagree totally.

1) If RCC II fails and Transilvito switches there would basically be no opposition left, that would be quite boring. Besides Jillian would never ever work with Stanley as an ally. She would first break with Transilvito.

2) The whole Don King goes Royal because of Queen Bea's suicide would have been only a ruse, which would lower his character in my opinion. He is using his wits working against GK but he is doing it out of principle and emotion. Much more dramatic tension this way.

The world is bigger than most sides know so possible rest of world could give them a fight. Charlie + 600 archons by self is a major power and those who employ those 600 likely have several times the forces. Those sides could be united by Charlie and info from the magic kingdom.

Given no external opposition there is still possible internal power struggles, eg Stanley verses Wanda and/or assassinations of Stanley or Wanda. Alexander the Great dies and 4+ fight for his empire...

"The whole Don King goes Royal because of Queen Bea's suicide would have been only a ruse" not a given, as joining Stanley could also be a ruse in support of his "principle and emotion".

***

I doubt Stanley's going to win now, if for no other reason than the art of radish and skulls on website for book 2 would make little sense if radish disappears in beginning of book 2.
multilis
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:57 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby Zeku » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:47 pm

Couple the Grand Abbey's sentiments with Don King's, and you see the seeds of a 'reboot.' When one side wins, Erf itself starts over, or ends. Charlie's interest in Parson may not be gaining a strategic advantage, but in retaining a profitable balance, and attempting to avoid game-ending victory for any side.
Zeku
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 am

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby Saladman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Krennson wrote:so... the KING of transylvito can't fly, but his warlords CAN. that's.... very interesting.

I wonder what the game-logic of something like that is? are all royals members of the same root 'tribe', and thus incapable of flying, unlike some sort of subordinate translyvitan tribe that pops 'noble' or 'common' warlords?

I wish we knew more about tribes... most of the erfwiki entries about 'human' tribes seems to be speculation that isn't backed up in the comic text evidence. I'm still not convinced that 'human' tribes as such actually exist.


It doesn't have to be connected to tribes at all, or especially complicated. Level 2 Gobwin Knob cities, for instance, get a choice of spidews or warlords or the two level 1 choices. (Book 2 text update 2.) And Heirs seem to be capitol-only. So regular warlords and Heirs almost have to be separate production choices, despite both producing warlords in the broad sense. Flight could be a standard special for regular Transylvito warlords, but not for Heirs. Stranger things have happened in strategy games, especially if there's any random element to side composition and abilities.

Or it could be tied to level for Transylvito as Glome suggests, but I don't see that as being necessary. Big Al is a potential complication, but he could just be a non-Transylvito type warlord popped in a city Transylvito had captured whole, not razed and rebuilt, then stuck in as a city governor to make him useful.

Back to tribes, you're right, we don't know much. I don't think human tribes are the same thing as natural allies tribes at all. My current guess is they're something Rob originally meant to use more, but the story and the implied ruleset have gone in a different direction. If there is a master plan still waiting to be revealed, it might have something to do with the type of city a unit is popped in (i.e., Gobwin Knob or Carpudlia or Transylvito base cities, even if they've been captured), or the tribe of the city governor where there is one. Not enough info tho.
Saladman
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby Saladman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 pm

I thought this was a good update. Just a little bare-bones, not surprising if it wasn't planned, but the info about Don King's intelligence capability was good stuff. ...instead of only relying on what his Warlords told him. He had seen a lot of battles. He'd seen more stuff than anybody probably suspected. Heck, this would warm Parson's own heart. That's only a step below Stanley's three-caster battle table link. I still think the Don's true belief in royalty is causing him to make some sub-optimal decisions, but he has to be considered a formidable opponent.

I imagine Caesar knows about this capability, at least in principle. That's a big hurdle if his loyalty score ever does break. Which I don't really expect it to, but if he keeps getting sent into losing fights its possible.
Saladman
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 005

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:02 am

Dr Quest DFA wrote:How do tribes/sides/factions hire out -mancers? Most units disband when they go through the portal to the Magic Kingdom (is there even a king there, though?). Is there some 800 number they can call to place an order?


Perhaps there's a custom of tossing a letter through the magic portal so that a random MK resident will deliver it in return for rands from the recipient.
User avatar
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests