Book 2 – Text Updates 006

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 006

Postby Infidel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Menas wrote:The argument of 'this couldn't possibly happen because I can't see how it could happen when I don't have all the information I need to understand the situation' doesn't carry much weight for me.

It doesn't carry much weight period. We are on page 12 of a book. It is perfectly standard for surprises and new mechanics to be thrown the reader's way at the beginning of a story. The objective in the beginning of a story is not to resolve plot, it is to put the protagonist in an untenable position and force action, almost always by the introduction of some _new_ element. A new army shows up, a gate to another universe is suddenly opened, a new weapon is developed, an ally suddenly turns into a new enemy, and so-on.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Sinrus » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:32 pm

SteveMB wrote:
theseus2x wrote:Is she conflicted? Yes. Part of her does want to be with Ansom and Wanda again. But at her core, she knows Ansom isn't her Ansom, and Wanda is... Wanda. She knows Wanda is following Stanley by choice. That will make a difference.

No, I don't she'll act stupid. I think we'll see a new Jillian.

I suspect that you're right, particularly given her confrontation with Wanda before the final big battle in Book 1. I expect some very wrenching moments of temptation, though....

I expect them to overdo the wrenching moments of temptation, and drag it out way too long, like two pages longer than necessary.
Sinrus

Postby Dr Pepper » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:04 am

Sinrus wrote:hahaha I can buy those nearby, they're called 'muffin tops.' But it would be awesome if erfworld had a Dune based side.

Scones are nothing at all like that. Scones are dense, slightly dry, and crumbly. A scone weighs considerably more than a muffin of the same size. They originate in Scotland so in the US you should look for a scottish or at least british, bakery to be sure of finding them. Or you can go to Trader Joe's.
Read, like there won't be a movie
Game, like the die rolls don't matter
Filk, like everyone is tone deaf anyway

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .4
Dr Pepper

Postby Infidel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:55 am

Dr Pepper wrote:
Sinrus wrote:hahaha I can buy those nearby, they're called 'muffin tops.' But it would be awesome if erfworld had a Dune based side.

Scones are nothing at all like that. Scones are dense, slightly dry, and crumbly. A scone weighs considerably more than a muffin of the same size. They originate in Scotland so in the US you should look for a scottish or at least british, bakery to be sure of finding them. Or you can go to Trader Joe's.

a lot of muffins are dense, slightly dry, and crumbly too.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Sinrus » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:27 am

The bad ones, yeah.
Sinrus

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:01 am

Dr Pepper wrote:

I do enjoy a good scone with plenty of cream and jam.

I say, I do believe I am showing my English background (fortunately they have scones in Australia too). Anyway I agree - the two aren't really at all the same, beyond both being bakes goods.

LordDarksea wrote:Also, there is much 'national' (read as cornwall vs devon) distinction between whether the jam should top the clotted cream or the clotted cream the jam. wars have been fought, well, squabbled over this.

I'm a cream on top person myself, and I can fully understand why people would fight for their right to put their jam and cream where ever they want! :lol:

theseus2x wrote:No, I don't she'll act stupid. I think we'll see a new Jillian.

Agree entirely.

Infidel wrote:I just want to point out that this is a misquote. Plotarmor was the one that said that, not me.

Apologies about that, I should take more time checking over the posts before I post them. :oops:

Krennson wrote:hmmm... CAN Gobwins move underground in non-mountain regions? we've never seen that capabibility before, have we?

If they CAN do that, that really WOULD be a brilliant countermove by charlie. I'm starting to hope that you're right.

I would assume so - they are tunnelers, and tunnels aren't limited to mountains (in the real world at least). Marbits seem their "good side" counterpart, and they don't seem limited to mountains.
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby theseus2x » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:35 pm

Sinrus wrote:
SteveMB wrote:
theseus2x wrote:Is she conflicted? Yes. Part of her does want to be with Ansom and Wanda again. But at her core, she knows Ansom isn't her Ansom, and Wanda is... Wanda. She knows Wanda is following Stanley by choice. That will make a difference.

No, I don't she'll act stupid. I think we'll see a new Jillian.

I suspect that you're right, particularly given her confrontation with Wanda before the final big battle in Book 1. I expect some very wrenching moments of temptation, though....

I expect them to overdo the wrenching moments of temptation, and drag it out way too long, like two pages longer than necessary.

HA! Its funny - the people who don't seem to like the Text Updates seem to be the ones who miss the lack of character interaction, growth, drama, etc.
theseus2x

Postby Sinrus » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:59 pm

What are you talking about, I love the text updates. But I get the feel that Rob'll draw out the agonizing decision making.
Sinrus

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:00 am

Sinrus wrote:What are you talking about, I love the text updates. But I get the feel that Rob'll draw out the agonizing decision making.

I don't know, the Erfworld story seems to move at a fair enough clip.

Consider the closest parallel I can think of from book one - when Jillian was fighting Wanda's thinkamancy control (or throwing it off or however you want to see it). It was well written and didn't give the impression of dragging along, all melodramatic like.

Now in this situation the meeting/emotional consequences are likely going to be many magnitudes greater, but I still don't see it being drawn out needlessly, especially with the two forms we have (the comic and the text updates).
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Previous

Return to Reactions