Book 2 – Text Updates 007

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Text Updates 007

Postby raphfrk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:39 pm

Krennson wrote:Ok, assume Wanda works for stanley, and has at least minimal loyalty and duty stats in regard to stanley.

Assume that wanda, PERSONALLY, cannot attack stanley without auto-disbanding.

BUT, Ansom is loyal to wanda, but apparently, is NOT loyal to stanley. If ansom were loyal to stanley, duty would compel him to inform stanley that he believed wanda to be acting against the best interests of Gobwin Knob.

Also, since he is Chief Warlord, his loyalty/duty should be enhanced.

However, it isn't clear if he disagrees with the plan itself. Parson has said that it is the best possible plan, given the circumstances. Also, telling Stanley would probably result in a worse plan being implemented.

Can Wanda order ANSOM, to attack Stanley? Can Ansom decide, ON HIS OWN, that wanda's best interests are served by him attacking stanley, even when wanda gave no such order?

He should auto-disband, in the same way the Wanda would auto-disband if he tried it. (esp since he is Chief Warlord). Also, Stanley can disband him with a thought, so it would have to happen while he was sleeping.

Ofc, since coups happen, this effect cannot be absolute.

If Ansom isn't loyal to stanley, ANSOM may be able to attack without disbanding.

hen he can order them to revolt, or leave them in the optimum position to revolt, if and when they draw their own, personal, conclusions.

Conspiracy is also supposed to be disallowed.

From here:

"Duty - Affects Commanders only. Has higher effect on Warlords, highest on Chief Warlord. Requires us to use our own initiative in the service of the Ruler. Can't withhold information, can't conspire against the Ruler."

However, perhaps there is a fine line between conspiracy and falling in due diligence.

Also, duty is probably a stat, so isn't absolute. Maybe, making a unit Heir drops their duty stat (perhaps even more than making them Chief Warlord increases it).
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Krennson wrote:Can Wanda order ANSOM, to attack Stanley? Can Ansom decide, ON HIS OWN, that wanda's best interests are served by him attacking stanley, even when wanda gave no such order?

I think the answer to both questions is "yes." Just like the Hobgobwins staged a coup and didn't auto-disband, I think Wanda and her minions could also. If Wanda is in the field and Stanley is killed, then I think she'd auto-disband. But if she was in a GK city, then I think she'd just go Barbarian, which would suit her fine.

She may have to break allegiance first, so as to have her own side, and take a city for her own support, at least, but I think it's doable right now for Wanda to leave Stanley. It's just a question of what's best for her, and for the moment those dwagons are pretty handy.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby raphfrk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:14 pm

gameboy1234 wrote:She may have to break allegiance first, so as to have her own side, and take a city for her own support, at least, but I think it's doable right now for Wanda to leave Stanley. It's just a question of what's best for her, and for the moment those dwagons are pretty handy.

She absolutely needs to have another side to flee to before she can do anything crazy. If Stanley dies and she isn't in a city, then she auto-disbands (assuming no plot/pliers armour). Even if she is in a city, the city would freeze and then be overwhelmed by enemy forces.

If she is planning to betray Stanley, then her best plan is to try to turn to "King" Ossomer's side. This might occur automatically if Slately is killed while Ossomer is still technically Heir, or just by having Ossomer found a new side before Stanley can order him not to (assuming non-heir Warlords are able to do that).
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby theseus2x » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:01 pm

I am 99.9% sure that if Wanda ordered Ansom to attack Stanley, he would comply. We saw in the current comic that he had to obey her even when he thought it was a bad idea for their side. Like Wanda said, he is HERS.

I am 95% sure that Wanda could find a way to give that order, despite all the rules regarding Loyalty, etc. Wanda is obviously conducting some serious moral juggling with her actions; she can pull it off.
theseus2x

Postby Binty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:44 pm

If Wanda was in the Magic Kingdom when FAQ fell, wouldn't she be a Barbarian Caster? In which case she will be a mercenary working for GK not a GK unit. So if GK falls, she does not disband, she just needs to forage or pay for her own upkeep from her own purse.
Binty

Postby Sinrus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:52 pm

Binty wrote:If Wanda was in the Magic Kingdom when FAQ fell, wouldn't she be a Barbarian Caster? In which case she will be a mercenary working for GK not a GK unit. So if GK falls, she does not disband, she just needs to forage or pay for her own upkeep from her own purse.

Wanda wasn't in the MK. She was captured by Stanley, just like Jack.
Sinrus

Postby gameboy1234 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:03 pm

raphfrk wrote:
gameboy1234 wrote:She may have to break allegiance first, so as to have her own side, and take a city for her own support, at least, but I think it's doable right now for Wanda to leave Stanley. It's just a question of what's best for her, and for the moment those dwagons are pretty handy.

She absolutely needs to have another side to flee to before she can do anything crazy. If Stanley dies and she isn't in a city, then she auto-disbands (assuming no plot/pliers armour). Even if she is in a city, the city would freeze and then be overwhelmed by enemy forces.

Wand is "of the lost Croatan tribe," so like Vurp she might be the chief of her tribe by default. That's not as good as being a royal like Jillian, but would still give Wanda a "side" at any time she choose to break. Just thinking out loud here, but I think it's one possible direction the plot might take at some point.
"Do it?" Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago.

gameboy1234
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby multilis » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:57 pm

theseus2x wrote:I am 99.9% sure that if Wanda ordered Ansom to attack Stanley, he would comply. We saw in the current comic that he had to obey her even when he thought it was a bad idea for their side. Like Wanda said, he is HERS.

I am not so certain and I think Wanda isn't either. I don't think it was for love that she didn't want Ansom seeing her crook his dad and lover, she sees evidence of weakening loyalty.

She got burned in book 1 with Jillian loyalty spell breaking, partially because of love.

IMO she has something stronger than a suggestion spell on Ansom, but it is finite/breakable over time.
multilis

Postby Sinrus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:05 pm

At least, so you assume. We have no proof of that, although it would be dramatically appropriate for Ansom to turn.
Sinrus

Postby fruityjanitor » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:31 pm

I just glanced at this one again and noticed Captain Overpants mentioned in the second paragraph. The only thing I have to say about that is "Tra la la!"
fruityjanitor
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Sinrus » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Ahahahahahahaha didn't think of that!
Sinrus

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:02 am

theseus2x wrote:I am 99.9% sure that if Wanda ordered Ansom to attack Stanley, he would comply. We saw in the current comic that he had to obey her even when he thought it was a bad idea for their side. Like Wanda said, he is HERS.

There are probably good reasons why Wanda's order for Ansom to stay back is not a bad order. He is wounded after all, a bit emotional, so if you are gonna bring emotional leaders along it's best to bring just one, the fully healed one. Also, Wanda's probably hedging her bets and ordering Ansom to strengthen the rear of the army.

So maybe Ansom thought that this order was bad for him, rather than the side.

There's also another possible take. I think Jack could inform Stanley if Wanda's order was detrimental to GK (see linked post and a couple above). So let's see what Jack has to say about it too.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby multilis » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:51 am

"However, it isn't clear if he disagrees with the plan itself. Parson has said that it is the best possible plan, given the circumstances."

Best possible plan given a *specific* question. They have initiative, time to plan and act till they end turn.

There are more ways to win a war than direct attack, eg diplomacy to split up the coalition.

Given complete control of GK, without Stanley to screw things up, it may be tempting to make deal with Hagar to let them take over Jetstone, focus on any enemies that are determined to wipe you out, and try to seem non threatening to the rest.
multilis

Previous

Return to Reactions