Book 2 – Page 14

Page by page discussion of the comic.

Re: Book 2 – Page 14

Postby NoDesignation » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:51 pm

Hmmm. In the last panel... is it Wanda going "Eyuh"? I wonder why she doesn't want Oss calling her mistress. She doesn't seem to mind it from Ansom.

I haven't read all seven pages of responses yet, did someone else address this? As far as my reading goes, it appeared to me that Ossomer just called her mistress -- something that seems to come automatically to the decrypted. But he's still having a hard time adjusting to being decrypted and grunts out a personal distaste for the title -- "Eyuh." Wanda realizes the conflict and remedies the situation by removing the conflict, allowing him to call her by the title of commander and not have to deal with the personal relationship aspects that come up with a word like mistress.

Notice that the speech bubbles are coming from two different places. It's too small to make out any distinct figures they are pointing to, and it's possible that they are both pointing to Wanda, but I think it's more likely they are not. If this is the case, it gives us further insight into how Ossomer is taking his decryption and the variety of ways that units respond to it.

Perhaps the difference between Ossomer's and Ansom's decryption experiences was that Ansom assumed he was going to be dead, gone forever, and suddenly found himself re-popped by a mysterious and grand magical force he never thought possible, by a caster he didn't know too well. Ossomer was well aware that he would be decrypted when he died, and would have preferred to stay dead. He had intense and personal hatred for Wanda, considering her an evil witch. Ansom had no such feelings to overcome, but Ossomer still holds some of those negative feelings even though they are suddenly secondary to loyally following at her side.
NoDesignation

Postby raphfrk » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:56 pm

NoDesignation wrote:
Hmmm. In the last panel... is it Wanda going "Eyuh"? I wonder why she doesn't want Oss calling her mistress. She doesn't seem to mind it from Ansom.

I haven't read all seven pages of responses yet, did someone else address this?

It was suggested that she likes Ansom calling her Mistress as a sign of her power over him, given that he stole Jillian from her. Ossomer, OTOH, she doesn't care about at all.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:30 pm

Raza wrote:Wanda's pretty goth. I bet muscle guy isn't her type.

gameboy1234 wrote:So you're saying Ansom is really an emo whiner?

Did you just call us emo?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:32 pm

And another thing.

So Wanda forbade Ansom to contact Stanley. Fine. (I'm hopeful that some future shenanigan will be played by him but anyway)

What about Jack?
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby sebastian » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Menas wrote:Well, decrypted forces require no upkeep so Wanda would only be responsible for her own. So she wouldn't necessarily have need for a treasury if all of her forces were decrypted.

The dragons are not decrypted.

Actually, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that until now we have seen only humanoid decrypted (human, archons, twolls, and so on) no dragons, no golems, no gwiffons, or spidews, or other things like that. If that is so, it seems there are limits to what the arkenpliers can be used on.

So, have we ever seen in comic a non-humanoid decrypted?
sebastian

Postby Hobgobwin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Hobgobwin

Postby Swiftrain » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm

We have seen none human decrypted... winner rammers spring (pun intended) to mind
Swiftrain

Postby Zeku » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:18 pm

The simplest combination of game logic, real world logic, and drama would dictate that the pliers have two effects on loyalty:

They maximize current loyalty toward the arkentool wielder.
They minimize current loyalty toward any other military faction.

Judging by Ansom's original reactions, the effect seems to include adjustment of world-views to compensate for the new loyalty scores. However, we might just as easily call Ansom a unique case, and state that he had already suspected that royalty was 'meaningless,' which is why he defended the concept emotionally rather than logically, while simultaneously loving someone who rejected royalty.

Every time Ossomer and Ansom encounter a situation that remind them of their original beliefs, (they may not be identical) loyalty scores will be adjusted against Wanda and her control. This means that the ideal use for decrypted units is in combat, against factions which they have no opinion about, and then sacrificed in battle once their loyalty becomes questionable.
Zeku

Postby HailGreen28 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:40 pm

sebastian wrote:
Menas wrote:Well, decrypted forces require no upkeep so Wanda would only be responsible for her own. So she wouldn't necessarily have need for a treasury if all of her forces were decrypted.

The dragons are not decrypted.

Actually, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that until now we have seen only humanoid decrypted (human, archons, twolls, and so on) no dragons, no golems, no gwiffons, or spidews, or other things like that. If that is so, it seems there are limits to what the arkenpliers can be used on.

So, have we ever seen in comic a non-humanoid decrypted?
weiner rammers, which Wanda said cannot ordinarily be uncroaked.
HailGreen28

Postby the_tick_rules » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:22 pm

True. But we have seen a lack of decrypted units of the type he did mention. That is if we could tell the difference? I doubt a spidew would have the nice emblem and color scheme shift as ansom and ossomer did.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby theseus2x » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Observation : Before, Wanda was riding a Pink. Now she's riding a Red.

Maybe the Pink got hurt, or maybe she's riding the red because it suits the mission better?
theseus2x

Postby Watsit Hoohow » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:51 pm

the_tick_rules wrote:True. But we have seen a lack of decrypted units of the type he did mention.

Stanley took the Dwagons and left prior to the siege, so no Dwagons were there to decrypt in the first place. It doesn't seem like any Dwagons have been croaked recently enough to decrypt, so I guess that's still up in the air.

Golems most likely can't be decrypted or uncroaked because they're not really living things, but more a human-shaped pile of whatever that moves. The most effective way to hit Gobwin Knob would probably be Golems, then.

Gwiffons weren't really present during the siege either, since Jillian went out to head off Stanley.

Spidews, I'm not sure. It's probable that there are some of them decrypted somewhere though.

I doubt a spidew would have the nice emblem and color scheme shift as ansom and ossomer did.

It's possible that decrypted non-humanoids would either take on a black-pink color scheme like the wiener rammers did, or get the crest imprinted on their bodies somewhere like the Faq emblem for Megalogwifs. The latter probably makes more sense for naturally black units or those that are color-sensitive (such as Dwagons).
Very Amazing Adventures (possibly inappropriate)
Watsit Hoohow

Postby madmaw » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:55 pm

My prediction is

Spoiler: show
In the assault Ossomer is killed and Wanda is captured by Jillian (in a role reversal) when the hidden Archons are revealed (not sure how, some kind of game mechanic where Charlie has turned the Archons to Jillians side, sub-alliances?). The chain of command is broken at this stage as Wanda is the true leader of the decrypted, although Ansom is technically in charge. Ansom either refuses to take orders from Stanley/Parson, or simply doesn't communicate with them and does his own thing (which is try to save Wanda), in the process he gets the majority of the decrypted killed and gets captured himself. This is the "confusion" mentioned in the coming turn. Parson is appointed chief warlord because of Ansoms disobedience and attempts to salvage the situation...somehow
madmaw
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Graydon » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:41 pm

madmaw wrote:My prediction is

In the assault Ossomer is killed and Wanda is captured by Jillian (in a role reversal) when the hidden Archons are revealed (not sure how, some kind of game mechanic where Charlie has turned the Archons to Jillians side, sub-alliances?). The chain of command is broken at this stage as Wanda is the true leader of the decrypted, although Ansom is technically in charge. Ansom either refuses to take orders from Stanley/Parson, or simply doesn't communicate with them and does his own thing (which is try to save Wanda), in the process he gets the majority of the decrypted killed and gets captured himself. This is the "confusion" mentioned in the coming turn. Parson is appointed chief warlord because of Ansoms disobedience and attempts to salvage the situation...somehow

Janis' prediction is for confusion where Sizemore is; Don King's view of what happened at Spacerock does not make him happy. I think it's obvious that Charley is advancing Jillian with the right hand and preparing to strike at Stanley with his left.
Wanda is smart, tactically aware, and deeply, deeply attuned and Charlie alone will be aware of the difference that can make in using an Arkentool, whereas Stanley is a very unsubtle personality; capital and overlord bonuses or not, he's probably the easier target because he's easier to trick.
I'm sure Charlie will be delighted if the FAQ forces and whatever else has been cooked up manages to badly damage Wanda's strike force, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think Wanda's going to win this one.
Remember that Stanley isn't even slightly imaginative; he's not going to spend the schmuckers to make Parson a non-garrison unit until he thinks there's a good reason, and he's never seen Parson lead. It's going to take direct observation of something heroic before Stanley's going to promote Parson to non-garrison, and that requires something to happen in Gobwin Knob because that's the only place Parson can be.
Graydon

Postby Dancing Cthulhu » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:48 pm

raphfrk wrote:Chief Warlords have the highest level of duty and that seems to act to enhance loyalty.

Yes, that is what I thought as well. Of course I also imagine that at the end of the day that, loyalty being a non-visable stat, some units will always just be more or less loyal, even without turning. I guess Don King's heirs weren't the most loyal to him, and Wanda always seems to have been flexible, loyalty wise (as the fate of old Faq shows). Jack may well have lower loyalty to GK then a naturally popped GK caster but it doesn't mean he'll act on it at the first opportunity.

Graydon wrote:
Janis' prediction is for confusion where Sizemore is;...

I'm not quite sure that is so: "I think there will be an opportunity. This battle you will fight tomorrow, with Jetstone--"... "You don’t need to confirm it. I know. And this battle will be a turning point. I have some Predictamancy on it, among other things. There will be disarray, and you and your Thinkamancer should push him to lead."

So it is the battle for the Jetstone capital that is a turning point (one way or another), and the disarray would occur in that context (as I read it), and as a result, back in GK, there will be an opportunity for Parson to return to a real leadership position. Which in turn makes me think something is going to go against GK - maybe Charlie/Jillian/Jetstone are successful, or maybe Wanda wins but breaks/turns.

Of course that he needs to be pushed to lead again makes it sound like he will have some control over it, which also makes it sound like something more is going on, not just Stanley deciding he needs a new Chief Warlord.

sebastian wrote:So, have we ever seen in comic a non-humanoid decrypted?

Others have mentioned some, and why there wouldn't be examples of others, but Wanda was also riding around on a Sourmander earlier and we saw them in the service of the RCCII, so I imagine it was decrypted.

Spidews, I'm not sure. It's probable that there are some of them decrypted somewhere though.

Maybe, although they were a GK unit, and by the time Wanda got around to decrypting the RCCI bodies there might not have been many/any Spidew bodies still around (even just before the eruption there shouldn't have been many, GK was pretty low on living troops at that point).
And so my time with the Tardy Elves draws to a close, and I am let to ponder how the experience will... eh, I'll finish later. No need to rush.
Dancing Cthulhu

Postby Nows7 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:56 pm

I belive it is "Eyah" as in "Giddy - up" or "Up, Up, and Away Mr. Dragon!"

Also, Now that they have a muscular pretty boy, shouldn't Ossamer be in a gold speedo? "OH, ROCKY!"

Is Prince Sammy going to be dressed as Eddy?... Nah, there would be to much sign-a-mancy with that. Jullian's love life is complicated enough.
Nows7
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Updog » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:10 am

raphfrk wrote:
gathro wrote:
PlotArmour wrote:I certainly couldn't see Stanley losing control of a Dwagon.
What about a decryted dwagon? Wanda mentioned that decrypted units belong to her, not Gobwin Knob.

Also, what would happen if Stanley hit a decrypted dwagon :). I think the hammer should win, since the dwagon is the hammer's special unit. OTOH, Charlie doesn't seem to have the power to turn archons (or maybe he does :) ).

Or maybe you just can't decrypt a dwagon. end. of.
Updog

Postby theseus2x » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:18 am

Watsit Hoohow wrote:Gwiffons weren't really present during the siege either, since Jillian went out to head off Stanley.

Didn't Wanda uncroak a Gwiffon or two after she blasted the RCC air contingent? If a unit is uncroakable, it certainly stand to reason its decryptable.
theseus2x

Postby MonteCristo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:59 am

theseus2x wrote:
Watsit Hoohow wrote:Gwiffons weren't really present during the siege either, since Jillian went out to head off Stanley.

Didn't Wanda uncroak a Gwiffon or two after she blasted the RCC air contingent? If a unit is uncroakable, it certainly stand to reason its decryptable.

She did not... she did croak them, but she did not uncroak them... She only took a few unipegitaurs and Jacklyn... uncroaked are more powerful when you concentrate on uncroaking a fewer number and thus limited how many she raised
MonteCristo
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Shoki » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:25 am

This reminds me have we seen if uncroaked can be decrypted? I mean it seems odd it hasn't been tried as it might increase the mileage of each unit granted they'd be weaker uncroaked but saying you have no "causalities" be nice.

*edit wait wanda would likely not care...parson might.
Shoki

PreviousNext

Return to Reactions