How do I go about recruiting an artist for a project?

Mind if we put this first?

How do I go about recruiting an artist for a project?

Postby PhantomFox » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:05 pm

I am somewhat of a creative bent of mind, and I've been wanting for some time to tell a story for some time. However, the appeal of the visual medium is something I can't resist. Unfortunately, my artistic skills are amaturish at best. Good enough to do doodles, but nothing that could stand up as a professional product. Efforts to find an artist to partner with have so far been unsuccessful, as anyone I've asked is busy or not interested. Usually the former. However, I'm not looking for an art monkey, but someone to PARTNER with. I'd like to help out on the artistic end as much as I can with concept art or panel layout, or whatever. And the artist can help me out on my end as well, perhaps letting me bounce ideas off of them and telling me if I'm off my rocker or not. I know the dynamic duo that create Erfworld managed to find each other, but I'm not sure how to do it myself.

As you probably have guessed, this will be a webcomic. However, it will be a GOOD one, and not some poorly thought out and subsequently abandoned trash like those that litters DrunkDuck and the rest of the internet. It is set in a medieval/fantasy setting and is titled Deep Forest. The main crux of the story is a small group of half-animal 'monsters' that live secluded in the titular forest. They're not quite sure where they came from, but have had some unpleasant encounters with the village. A somewhat impulsive act of kindness leads to the rediscovery of the community by the nearby village. These two world come into conflict, which drives the main story.

Deep Forest will be primairly story based, but with a good dose of humor added in. The drama will not be so thick that it would feel like a soap opera, but it will be the main draw for the comic. The characters I hope will be strong, but I have done a considerable amount of work on them. The primary POV character from the forest dwellers (or 'Sylvans' as they decided to name themselves) will be Andrew, a somewhat idealistic and impulsive, but friendly Sylvan who kick-starts the plot. Other main characters from that side include his hot tempered friend Jessica, and carefree goofball Sven. Antagonists include a ruthless xenophobic trapper William, and a masterfully manipulative exiled Sylvan named Jade. William considers the Sylvans animals and monsters and has a few oddly sized pelts in his back room, and Jade is extremely bitter about being exiled and is constantly thinking up plots to force her way back into the comfort of the Sylvan community.

A more detailed synopsis can be given if you want, but that should do for now.
A new story updating Mondays
PhantomFox

Re: How do I go about recruiting an artist for a project?

Postby Lady Nerevar » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:50 pm

well, i can't speak to everyone, but to recruit me you'd need an actual script. you may say that it is the bee's knees, but until i read a few pages (or even a whole chapter) i won't know whether i actually like it and am willing to commit time to it. Some idea of what you want from art style may also help to convince an artist: some people really like doing one thing but can't stand doing another. that also brings up artistic freedom and just how much input the artist would have to the story (do i have to draw everything exactly like you want it? how much guidance am i given? can i make up things myself?). ideas about scheduling and the general direction of the project are also important. most artists are probably reluctant to commit to a weekly comic that may or may not go anywhere, but a more forgiving schedule might generate more interest.

hope that helps :)
Lady Nerevar

Postby PhantomFox » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:52 pm

Lady Nerevar wrote:well, i can't speak to everyone, but to recruit me you'd need an actual script. you may say that it is the bee's knees, but until i read a few pages (or even a whole chapter) i won't know whether i actually like it and am willing to commit time to it. Some idea of what you want from art style may also help to convince an artist: some people really like doing one thing but can't stand doing another. that also brings up artistic freedom and just how much input the artist would have to the story (do i have to draw everything exactly like you want it? how much guidance am i given? can i make up things myself?). ideas about scheduling and the general direction of the project are also important. most artists are probably reluctant to commit to a weekly comic that may or may not go anywhere, but a more forgiving schedule might generate more interest.

hope that helps :)

A script? I've written the first 'chapter' or so down in a novelized format, and I have the first one and a half arcs plotted, and am working on early scripting for the third. You want to know the story? Just ask and I'll give you an earful.

Beggars can't be choosers, so I'm fairly open about the artistic style. I'm mainly interested in a semi-realistic style. Realistic enough so that the drama can be taken seriously, but not so much so that any gags would look out of place. I'm not terribly fond of the anime-esque style, though I've seen a few manga artists I've liked.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm looking for a partner, not an art monkey. While I imagine the general set up would be that I would give a rough doodle of what I'm looking for in each strip, I'm more than willing to listen to the expert's opinion. But I would like to help on the artistic front as much as I can. Panel layouts, character sketches, whatever. Likewise, I'd like the artist to be able to participate in my half as well if they want to. Someone to bounce my ideas off of and tell me when they're just plain dumb. And if they have ideas of their own, I'll gladly listen.

As for scheduling, I'm planning on creating a sufficient amount of strips to create a 'hook' to new readers, a buffer in case of unknowns, and then start out at two-a-week. A new venture should start slow. Possibly go to 3-a-week if we get into a rhythm and it's feasible. It's better to start slow and speed up rather than vise-versa.
A new story updating Mondays
PhantomFox

Postby cloudbreaker » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:51 am

It is sort of ironic that you are a writer wondering how to recruit an artist, because I am an artist wondering how to get recruited by a writer. So needless to say, your project interests me. I would be very interested to see the more detailed synopsis that you mentioned at the end of your first post, or that earful that you mentioned at the beginning of your second post. ;)

I'll send you a message with some of my own information included.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Danetrix » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Big sacks of cash. :D
Danetrix

Return to Internet and Webcomics