A Way to Lock Spoilers with a Password

What features and fixes would you like to see here at erfworld.com?

A Way to Lock Spoilers with a Password

Postby LTDave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:25 am

Hey.

I run some games on this site. I want to know if it is possible to have a "locked spoiler", so that only certain persons can open them - with a password, or other method?

This would be handy because forum games need public interaction to keep them going, but also need a way to keep information from others - so I could post scout reports, or maps, or things in a thread but only have certain players able to see that information.

Plausible? Possible?

Thanks!

LT
LTDave

Re: A Way to Lock Spoilers with a Password

Postby MarbitChow » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 am

Just from a technical side, you'd need to set up the forums so that expanding a spoiler would require an additional postback, since the content of the spoiler is currently sent to the browser. It's not horribly difficult to code if they've got a programmer available, but I don't think that the forum supports it out of the box and it sounded like Rob lost the website coder who was previously working on the revised site.

It's probably easier to create a restricted-access forum (like the Toolbox forum) to handle things like that. The forum code already supports that, but I don't know if the forum admins would want the overhead of maintaining it.
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:21 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Just from a technical side, you'd need to set up the forums so that expanding a spoiler would require an additional postback

Quite. Just pressing quote will reveal spoilers now.

Nonetheless, the idea is cool. You could set this up via PMs, I guess, and with some message filtering by title (which is already possible) it could be fairly streamlined. But still a hassle compared to having stuff in a thread.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Nnelg » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Unless you're only worried about people seeing things they shouldn't on accident, I'd think it best to use a "good faith" system for non-critical info and PMs for the top secret stuff. Then again, in the games I normally play the only screen separating me and my opponent is made of cardboard. So the GIFT might actually call for more severe measures to be taken.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Return to Suggestions/Requests