Marbit Island 3 - In the Halls of the Marbit King COMPLETED

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Marbit Island 3 - In the Halls of the Marbit King

Postby Swodaems » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:40 pm

KF25 wrote:
Lamech wrote:M3 'tech two' Orders
Move W*2, Move NW, Attack!

M12 'the other guy' Orders

M25 'back up' Orders

I'm bringing 11 attack. We won't need a ton to croak them all.

You are suicidal. There's 8 of them and 3 of you.

Correction, there are 6 of us.

And one of us is a general. (He's number 26 and the name fits my *od naming scheme. How could I resist?)

M4 "Pod" will move W, move NW, and attack.
M15 "Bob" will move NW, attempt to tempt beasties away from Gobwins with meat x2, and attack.
M26 "Zod" will move W, move NW, move NW, and attack.

The group of 6 that's entering the home hex will have 22+6d6 attack, an average of 3 defense, and 20 hits. We'll easily hit the 24 total attack needed to take out the remaining gobwins, but surviving their counter attack will be a bit of a problem. They're going to hit us for 39+8d6 (~67) divided by 3 def for about 22 hits. Our group can only lose 18 hit safely before we start losing marbits. That means we're likely to see only 2 survivors if we don't get a couple more marbits in there to soak up damage.
Swodaems

Postby KF25 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:17 pm

Random VII moves NE, attacks.
Random Henchmarbit II copies Random VII.
KF25

Postby LTDave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:17 am

That's orders from 5 of the 6 remaining players (really MarbitChow? really?).

Werebiscuit has been given a gratis Marbit, and has 14 hours to post orders before I process.

Cheers!
LTDave

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:23 am

Swodaems wrote:
KF25 wrote:You are suicidal. There's 8 of them and 3 of you.

Correction 9 ;) I for one am going to throw MarbitChow's M27 life in the pot
Since even if he dies I'm next up :twisted:

M27 Moves W, eats, Moves NW x2 Joins stack to attack Gobwins

Assuming I'm not jumping the gun and interpreting LTDave's offer correctly..
LTDave wrote:That's orders from 5 of the 6 remaining players (really MarbitChow? really?).

Werebiscuit has been given a gratis Marbit, and has 14 hours to post orders before I process.

Cheers!

...giving him orders since he's not pictured yet :D
Werebiscuit

Postby Swodaems » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:44 am

Werebiscuit wrote:
Swodaems wrote:
KF25 wrote:You are suicidal. There's 8 of them and 3 of you.

LTDave wrote:That's orders from 5 of the 6 remaining players (really MarbitChow? really?).

Cheers!

I think LTDave is actually refering to WhirdCheese's offer to give M21 to either you or MarbitChow.

WhirdCheese wrote:I am giving control of M21 over to MarbitChow or Werebiscuit. I'll leave it up to the two of you to decide who gets him.

M13 will charge into the old home hex. And attack. Unless there arn't at least 3 other players doing this. In which case he'll move to the largest concentration
Swodaems

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:57 am

Swodaems wrote:
Werebiscuit wrote:
Swodaems wrote:Correction, there are 6 of us.

Cheers!

I think LTDave is actually refering to WhirdCheese's offer to give M21 to either you or MarbitChow.

WhirdCheese wrote:I am giving control of M21 over to MarbitChow or Werebiscuit. I'll leave it up to the two of you to decide who gets him.

M13 will charge into the old home hex. And attack. Unless there arn't at least 3 other players doing this. In which case he'll move to the largest concentration

If thats the case

becomes
M21 Moves W, Moves NW Joins stack to attack Gobwins and feasts on gobwin flesh
Werebiscuit

Postby Swodaems » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 am

Okay, then between my 3 characters, Lamech's 3 characters, M13 and M21, we have 8 characters going into the Marbit home hex.

We will easily croak the 8 enemy units there.

We should have a total of 23 def between our characters, giving us an average of of 2.875 def for the stack.

We'll have a total of 32 hits, 24 of which can be safely used. Given a def of 2.875 and assuming that anything below 24.5 gets rounded down and anything over gets rounded up, this means we can take an attack of 70 without losing any characters.

The Gobwins had 39+8d6 attack when they attacked the group earlier. Plugging 8d6 into anydice.com shows that we are 76.23% likely to get a roll of 31 or less.
Swodaems

Postby Werebiscuit » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 am

So you're saying we have around a 25% chance of losing one of the 8 marbits ? :o
Werebiscuit

Postby LTDave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:32 pm

And, what, a 10% chance that EVERYONE WILL DIE!

Sounds good to me!
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:36 pm

processing...
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 pm

10 Marbits 2 Swords, 1 Spear, 3 Axes, 3 Shovels, 3 Shields, 2 Heavy Armour
27 Defence between 10 units = 2.7 average defence
27 Combat +10 d6
40 Hits

5 Gobwins, 2 FereWolves, El Tigre 2 Shields, 2 Swords, 3 Crossbows
19 Defence between 8 units = 2.4 average defence
39 Combat +8 d6
10 Hits

Round 1:
Marbits, Attack!
27 Combat + 37 Random = 64 Total Attack divided by Gobwin Average defence = 27 Hits inflicted.

Gobwins, Attack!
39 Combat + 22 Random = 61 Total Attack divided by Gobwin Average defence = 23 Hits inflicted.

Gowbins defeated!
Last edited by LTDave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Turn 14
Actions: . . .

M18 Klump puts gathered berries in bag, moves NE, and rallies the MArbits into a Stack.
M22 Buddy gathers berries, moves NE, and stacks with other Marbits

M3 'tech two' Orders Move W*2, Move NW, Attack!
M12 'the other guy' Orders Move W*2, Move NW, Attack!
M25 'back up' Orders Move W*2, Move NW, Attack!

M4 "Pod" will move W, move NW, and attack. {bag full}
M15 "Bob" will move NW, attempt to tempt beasties away from Gobwins with meat x2, and attack.
M26 "Zod" will move W, move NW, move NW, and attack.

Random VII moves NE, attacks.
Random Henchmarbit II copies Random VII.

M21 Moves W, Moves NW Joins stack to attack Gobwins and feasts on gobwin flesh {ew. Bilbo says "no"}

Unit Status
Spoiler: show
Name
M2 "Random VII" (KF25) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 1 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M3 "tech2" (Lamech) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 2 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M4 "Pod" (Swodaems) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 2 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M12 "The other Guy" (Lamech) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 2 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M13 "Em Fyv" (WhirdCheese) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 2 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M15 "Bod" (Swodaems) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 2 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M18 "Klump" (CroverusRaven) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M21 "Em Tyn" (Werebiscuit) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 1 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M22 "Buddy" (CroverusRaven) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M24 "Random Henchmarbit II" (KF25) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 2 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M25 "back up" (Lamech) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 2 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M26 "Zod" (Swodaems) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 1 /4, Move 4, Level 1
M27 (Werebiscuit) Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4 /4, Move 4, Level 1

Equipment List [spoiler]
Sword Weapon, +3 Combat costs: 3 iron
Spear Weapon, +2 Combat costs: 2 wood
Crossbow Weapon, +1 Combat, Ranged costs: 1 wood, 1 iron
Axe Chopping Tool, +2 Combat costs: 1 wood, 1 iron
Shovel Digging Tool, +1 Combat costs: 1 wood
Knife Tool costs: 1/2 wood
Light Armour Armour, +1 Defence costs: 1 Hide
Heavy Armour Armour, +2 Defence costs: 3 iron
Shield Armour, +1 Defence costs: 2 wood
Bag Carries up to 6 small things - food, gems, etc. costs: 1 Hide

Pop Queue
WhirdCheese
CroverusRaven

Turn 15 Ends in 72 hours, or sooner if everyone posts.

Please put all your orders in Bold, and remember to tell me your Marbit's designation (Mx) and Name if you have one. ALSO IF ALL ORDERS COULD BE WRITTEN IN ONE LINE, this would be helpful in cutting and pasting. Thanks.
All NPCs have now been divided up between players to control automatically - it does not cost an action to give them an order. Please name them, and be sure to be clear with your orders about who does what and when. Thanks.

Things to Note:
J-Raffes (aka OtisNecks) are Combat 0, Defence 1, Hits 8, Move 2.
Testudo Aurbreii (aka VFCs) are Combat 2, Defence 5, Hits 8, Move 2.
Butter Bear are Combat 4, Defence 2, Hits 6, Move 2.
El Tigre are Combat 8, Defence 3, Hits 10, Move 6.
Gobwins are Combat 2, Defence 2, Hits 4, Move 4.
FereWolves are Combat 6, Defence 2, Hits 8, Move 6.
Chee-Kee Mon-Kees are Combat 0, Defence 2, Hits 8, Move 8.
Spidon'ts are Combat 2, Defence 3, Hits 3, Move 4.

Rules (such as they are)
Marbit Island is a play-by-post game run by me. Each player will be a Marbit, looking to survive and succeed.
Move is the most important stat. It determines the number of actions you can take in a turn - move into other hexes, gather food, cut trees, build, etc.
Post your orders on the forum. For this game, orders will be resolved in the order in which they were posted - no editing of your posts, please!
This gives an advantage to early posters to grab equipment and resources, but allows later posters to know what has happened before they give their orders - so later posters can eat the food others harvest, or use tools they create.
Marbits like to eat. At least once per turn. Marbits do not eat automatically, but must be given an order to eat.
If a Marbit is unable to eat, he will become hungry, and will be marked with a black dot. A hungry Marbit that does not eat will cwoak.
Marbits may hold up to two items in their hands. It takes an action to equip one or more items. Excess items are dropped in the hex.
If the weather turns bad, Marbits will need to take shelter in a hut. A hut can shelter up to six Marbits.
Combat is a dangerous game. Combat plus d6 per fighter divided by enemy defence is hits inflicted. Hits are distributed equally across the stack before any one unit is cwoaked. Defence is calculated by the first 8 units' defence averaged across the whole stack, rounded down to one decimal (so 1 unit with 3 defence has defence of 3, but a stack of 20 units with 3 defence have a defence value of 1.2).
Marbits who do not submit orders within the allotted time will default to eating once, and then singing lewd lyrics drafted into popular musicals.
NPC Marbits may be given orders by Player Marbits. It takes one action to give a set of orders to one NPC. The first player to issue orders to an NPC controls it for that turn (no befriending).
Marbits may "scout" a neighbouring hex for 2 move - essentially, they stick their head over the border, have a look, and then return. At the beginning of the next turn, the scouted hex will be revealed on the map.
It costs 2 move to enter a neighbouring hex, unless the border is marked with a brown line, representing a road. It costs 1 move to enter a hex with along a road.
All the necessary information should be displayed on the map, above. Any questions? Just ask.
LTDave

Postby LTDave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:39 pm

"Oh! There you are! I am so glad you have returned. I must admit, I was very worried when I came and found the huts burnt down, and then all those Gobwins!"

"But the Marbit King knew you were still alright, and told me to check in every turn or so."

"Well, the trading station is open once more. Anything you need to drive those Gobwin scum out of the valley? Or do you have everything you could ever want?"
LTDave

Postby Swodaems » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:10 pm

What are those pointy things to the left of the bags and daggers?

Pod says, "Xino, weve discovered gobwin huts in the valley. We captured one 2 hexes SE of here, but there are another 3 2 hexes west of us. There were 8 gobwin remaining as of the last count, but they'll probably be increasing rapidly."

"On another note, my friend Bod and I have brought samples from the three types of mushroom in the valley. I've also procured a gobwin bone. Might they be worth something to the apothacaries' guild?"

The majority of us have to eat this turn, so we can't make it to the gobwin hex this turn. I propose we instead use this turn to prepare and then go 2 hexes east next turn. They'll have had time to pop 6 more gobwins by then, so we should expect to have to fight 14 in the hex. If we capture the huts, that should be the end of things. Any gobwins left will just be cleanup.
Swodaems

Postby WhirdCheese » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:44 pm

M13 drops the shovel and axe before picking up a crossbow and shield He eats as well.

Do we go for the gobwin's hex now? They'll be moving torward us soon and I'd rather have first strike.
WhirdCheese

Postby LTDave » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:02 am

Swodaems wrote: What are those pointy things to the left of the bags and daggers?

Those are suits of armour - 1 heavy and 1 light armour

Swodaems wrote:"On another note, my friend Bod and I have brought samples from the three types of mushroom in the valley. I've also procured a gobwin bone. Might they be worth something to the apothacaries' guild?"

Xino is happy to take any samples, and will bring back the results at the start of the next turn.
LTDave

Postby Swodaems » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Guys, now is the time to have any tactical discussions about the battle with the remaining gobwins. There are three questions in particular I would like to get answered before issuing orders to my characters. (Only a couple of the questions are for LTDave.)

1. When is the attack gonna be? This turn or next turn? Literally every single marbit but M27 needs to eat this turn. If they all spent an action to do so, that would mean every marbit but M27 only has three actions to use this turn. The problem is that the fastest way for the all the marbits in the home hex to get to the gobwins huts is for them to cross 2 unroaded hex borders at a cost of 4 move. While this would seem to eliminate the possibility of using the the majority of our forces this turn, there is a way around this problem. By having 3 marbits use feed orders to feed themselves and the other units in the hex, we could send 7 out of the 10 units there to the gobwin hut hex this turn. (Alternate possibilities: Bringing 8 marbits from the home hex if we choose not to give 2 feeders orders to eat food while they're stuffing the others' faces. Bringing all 10 from the home hex) If every other marbit on the map also goes to the G hut hex at the same time, we could face the gobwins (10, 11*, or 13*) to 11 this turn (*denotes starvation deaths are required for the plan to work), or we could face them 14 to 14 next turn,

If we attack this turn, (assuming the gobwins popped 3 more unarmed gobwins last turn and will do so again this turn) the gobwin stack will have 38+11d6 (~76.5) attack, (23?)/11 average def, and 44 hits. (Requiring an attack of 91 to eliminate, assuming rounding up at >.5.) If we attack next turn, they will have 44+14d6 (~93) attack, (23?)/14 average def, and 52 hits. (Requiring an attack of 85 to eliminate.)

2. Do we want to try to use crossbows instead of melee weapons? Quoted below are the ranged rules. As you can see, choosing to use crossbows will give us a powerful advantage in combat by allowing us to get in a single round of attacks with out receiving damage in return. The problem is that we would have to have everybody in the stack using them to receive that advantage. There are currently 5 crossbows in the home hex. There are also 6 gems there, so we could buy up to 9 more crossbows, giving us enough to equip all 14 units that we'll have next turn with them. (They're priced at 3 for 2 gems.) Given that we would be packing
LTDave wrote:Ranged units / stacks get a "free" first attack in combat. When you've attacked a J-Raffe with your crossbow, it hasn't fought back against the first combat.

If the entire stack were ranged, it would fight in this manner. When ranged and melee are mixed, melee is the default.
Unfortunately, equiping all 14 marbits with crossbows is going to require some rather precise coordination that we might not be able to get considering that there are 6 players and some complicated orders that need to be given for every marbit to be equipped in time for the battle. (If we go with crossbows, the battle happens next turn, not this one. While a team of 7 crossbow marbits could likely win against the 11 gobwins currently in the gobwin hut hex in 2 rounds, equipping and feeding those 7 so they can fight would bankrupt the 6 other marbits' move.) By complicated orders, I mean that while equipping the marbits currently in the home hex will be easy enough, equpping the ones outside it will be rather difficult. More so, considering that one of them doesn't currently exist. The three marbits currently outside the home hex can all walk here using 3 move, requiring that 3 marbits currently inside the home hex are prepared to either feed the arrivals or hand them a crossbow while the arriving marbits uses up their remaining move to either feed themselves or grab a crossbow. Equipping WhirdCheese's soon to be popped M28 requires that another marbit grab spend this turn and the next performing the orders (eat, grab 2 crossbows, go SE, and go SE), wait for next turn in the mine hex, then (go E, give 1 crossbow to M28, go NE and go NW).

If Werebiscuit and CroverusRaven desire, I'm willing to give my 3 characters orders to grab 2 bows each and hand one each to M18, M22, and M27 as they arrive, but I would like to hear from them first. (Werebiscuit, if you use M21 to feed M27, you can have M27 pick up a berry in the mine hex to give to Xino. Pod and Bod gave him shroom samples and a search of the trees in the center hex showed they don't produce anything special, so aside from possible products from the animals, a berry may be the last thing from the valley he has left to see.)

Questions for LTDave: If an entire stack is wielding crossbows, but one or more of the members of that stack is also wielding a sword, axe, spear, knife, or shovel in their other hand(s), will the stack still count as ranged?
Could we have the marbits enter the gobwin hex and fight as 2 seperate stacks, both attacking the gobwins at the same time? (Could we have them enter as 14 seperate stacks?)
I don't think the math on our defense is right for the battle we just had. We only reach 27 total def if that total includes all 10 units and their gear. The total created "by the first 8 units' defence" is 23 or less depending on which 8 units count as the first 8. (I've been assuming that first means those with the highest def.)
Swodaems

Postby KF25 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Random VII equips crossbow, gathers food, eats.
Random Henchmarbit II equips shield, scouts E, eats.
KF25

Postby LTDave » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Questions for LTDave: If an entire stack is wielding crossbows, but one or more of the members of that stack is also wielding a sword, axe, spear, knife, or shovel in their other hand(s), will the stack still count as ranged?

Yes.

Could we have the marbits enter the gobwin hex and fight as 2 seperate stacks, both attacking the gobwins at the same time? (Could we have them enter as 14 seperate stacks?)

Yes.

I don't think the math on our defense is right for the battle we just had. We only reach 27 total def if that total includes all 10 units and their gear. The total created "by the first 8 units' defence" is 23 or less depending on which 8 units count as the first 8. (I've been assuming that first means those with the highest def.)

You are correct. Bank error in your favour. It should have only been the first 8 units defence divided between the 10 units. Woops.
LTDave

Postby Lamech » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Orders for M3, M12, and M25
Eat, Rest until healed, Equip Axe and Crossbow (or shield if no crossbow available), Attempt Natural Rhyme-o-mancy (singing)

"We marbits 13, we rest before the war tomorrow!"
"Some will shoot their bows and arrows!"
"But today, we sing, rest and shop"
"All in preparation to chop."

Also I think we should move in as an eight stack and a five stack. Would it be possible to have a front line stack, and a rear stack with bows?
Lamech

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games