Erfworld Game

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Erfworld Game

Postby Azgrut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:14 am

Since you do not know how the combat system works precisely. Yes, you can figure it out after some battle's, but still you wont be sure.

Then there is the random factor that we all do not know how high it is. For boobs sake, if Kaed used my made up combat system but used a d100 as random extra damage inflicted, then there is always the chance that the measle little gobwin kills your stack of stabbers with the warlord. We don't really know :). (Though I doubt this).

Maybe a mathamancer can predict outcomes of battles in which you do not know the exact specifics. I mean more like: Chances that my stack of sand dwagons will win the combat against a stack of gobwins. Dwagons have a stack of 6, gobwins have a stack of 8. Mathamancer does the casting and comes out: You will Likely win. Result for me: I will likely win the battle and probably not have a lot of casualties.

In this example I do not actually know the stats of the gobwins but the mathamancer can calculate with it anyway. This will make them more usefull. In this example one can also ask more specific questions like:

What are the chances that my stack of 6 Sand dwagons will win against the stack of 8 gobwins when there is a veiled level 8 warlord in there. Mathamancer casts and tells me: Very unlikely. Thus, I will probably lose the battle, losing all my dwagons and not inflicting a darn casualty on the gobwins.

That strikes me as usefull information. I would like to have a mathamancer on my side :).
Azgrut

Postby Kaed » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:23 am

Of course, that begs the question of if you regularly have paranoia about veiled level 8 warlords being in innocuous stacks and ask that...
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 am

Kaed wrote:"How likely is it that an enemy will approach one of my cities within the next X turns."

"How likely am I to find an Artifact/Arkentool?"

CharlsNChrg: Tell me the odds that learning what happened to my Archons right now will be worth giving up those calculations in the future.
LordHamster: ...
LordHamster: I don't know if this thing can even DO a calculation like that. Predicting the future?
CharlsNChrg: Try it.
LordHamster: Fine.
LordHamster: I'll be damned.
LordHamster: It says there's all of a 4% chance it's worth taking my deal, even after spending this calculation.
LordHamster: 4.14 percent.

Urgh.

This is turning tedious. All right, well let's more or less leave it at that, meaning we may disagree on the usefulness of Mathmancy as presently stated.

I still say it's useless, and that thing I quoted cannot possibly be an answer to my question.

a) It involves a high-level Mathmancy artifact that
b) does a calculation which isn't covered by ANY Mathmancy spell. I doubt even the GM could pull that one off actually.

So I'd try my chances with other Mancies.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Azgrut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:34 am

Kaed wrote:Of course, that begs the question of if you regularly have paranoia about veiled level 8 warlords being in innocuous stacks and ask that...

You can never be too carefull now can you? :)

What actually does the portal to the magic kingdom do?
Azgrut

Postby Kaed » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 am

Azgrut wrote:What actually does the portal to the magic kingdom do?

It allows you to send a caster to the Magic Kingdom to do things like

ERROR 404 - Could not find folder ErfGame/Alpha/Rules/Magic Kingdom.

Huh, whoops. I guess there are no rules for the Magic Kingdom yet in this version, save how how much a portal costs.

Probably a good idea, because giving access to a vast pool of nigh unlimited casters requires some heavy thought on how to manage it.

Maybe in the beta version :)
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Azgrut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 am

Well, no one has a portal yet or the possibility to build it...

Maybe the portal can be used to hire a caster? Costing (X, maybe something like 10000 per level of caster) smuckers initially and an upkeep of double (or triple or even more) of what a normal casters upkeep would cost. This way a side can decide his own casters at a ridiculus high cost.

Negotiations about casters hireable are always "roleplaying" conversations between GM and player.

I think this can already be added in Alfa right?
Azgrut

Postby Azgrut » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:14 am

Another question about most casters.

A lot of spells: "Target a unit" but there is mostly no range included while some spells clearly have to be cast from a distance (like the turn a non captured unit spells).

And capturing units. I asume you can only turn units with a turnamancer (no torture rules yet) with the spell. How to capture a unit though? I say, capturing a unit can be done if you have a warlord in the attacking stack (I know, the dwagons captured Jillian). From the moment the unit is captured (you decide before the combat to capture the unit instead of croaking it), you pay its upkeep even when you can't actually do anything with it. You have to bring it to your turnamancer who can cast the "turn the d00d!" spell on it. Depending what kind of unit it is (and probably some Titanic intervention) it takes some time to turn it.

I think you cant capture more units in one combat then the level of leadership of the warlord. Else a side with a turnamancer would simply turn all units they croak (since turning infantry costs almost no juice).

I still do not get how you could turn a non captured unit though...
Azgrut

Postby Crovius » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:22 am

Azgrut wrote:I say, capturing a unit can be done if you have a warlord in the attacking stack (I know, the dwagons captured Jillian).

Gobwin Knob still had their trimancer link up which allowed Stanley pretty much to control his dwagons as if he were with them.
Crovius

Postby turbler » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Haha! a half day at school, so I'm back early :D Hopefully once Kaed gets on here I can catch up...
turbler

Postby Ehbobo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:21 pm

Azgrut wrote:Another question about most casters.

A lot of spells: "Target a unit" but there is mostly no range included while some spells clearly have to be cast from a distance (like the turn a non captured unit spells).

And capturing units. I asume you can only turn units with a turnamancer (no torture rules yet) with the spell. How to capture a unit though? I say, capturing a unit can be done if you have a warlord in the attacking stack (I know, the dwagons captured Jillian). From the moment the unit is captured (you decide before the combat to capture the unit instead of croaking it), you pay its upkeep even when you can't actually do anything with it. You have to bring it to your turnamancer who can cast the "turn the d00d!" spell on it. Depending what kind of unit it is (and probably some Titanic intervention) it takes some time to turn it.

I think you cant capture more units in one combat then the level of leadership of the warlord. Else a side with a turnamancer would simply turn all units they croak (since turning infantry costs almost no juice).

I still do not get how you could turn a non captured unit though...

If I read the spell right, then if your turnamancer has enough juice left to turn the unit, it turns even if it isn't captured. Units that cost more juice to turn (like a chief warlord) must be captured to turn, because each turn non-captured units regain full loyalty to their side.
Ehbobo

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Allright, FINALLY I will submit a side. Livery and unit pictures will come later. Unit costs (popping, upkeep) are up to GMs to decide.

Let's say preference for first city is mountain, with Scout production ability and A/B production.

Metropolis

Motto: "We built this city on Rock and Roll."

Stabber-class: Pwole
A regular inhabitant of Metropolis.
Spoiler: show
Hits: 6
Att: 4
Def: 2
M: 4
Spec: none

Piker-class: NightWatch
Brave citizens making sure the streets of Metropolis are clean, orderly and safe. Or somewhat so.
Hits: 8
Att: 3
Def: 4
M: 0 (garrison)

Scout-class: Prospector
Metropolis' large population needs resources. It is up to the Prospector to find them.
M: 6

Archer-class: Crossbowman
Keeping danger at bay all day every day.
Att: 6
Def: 1
M: 0 (garrison)
Spec: Archery

Special A: Engineer
A higher-educated Pwole*, able to give directions at a working site.
(*: does not imply Pwole units are upgradable, that was just flavour text)
Def: 7
M: 3
Spec:
  • Surveyor : When an Engineer is present on a resource area, boost its production by 2%. Up to 20% increase is achievable by stacking Engineers.

Special B: Musketeer
A good shot with the musket, the Musketeer can fall back on the bayonette when things get too close.
Att: 6
M: 3
Spec: Archery

Special C: Cuirassier
Armed with a deadly cutlass and protected by light-weighing but reasonably sturdy armour, the Cuirassier is one of the elite soldiers of Metropolis.
Att: 7
M: 3+8 (from Fast)
Spec: Fast

Special D: Gold Golem
A bizzare clockwork construction. Weird lights can be seen flickering within. Invisible hands keep its two crossbows always armed and ready.
Hits: 18
Att: 13
Def: 13
M: 12
Spec:
  • Basic Moneymancy: Transfer Funds, Smell of Gold (weaker version of Gold Rush, gives 25% bonus).
  • Archery

Knight-class: R.U.R
A towering mechanical construct. Tireless and handy, it makes an industrious worker or a fearsome warrior.
Hits: 10
Att: 7
M: 13
Spec:
  • Builder : When present at a site where a city is about to be built or upgraded, reduce the cost of building/upgrading by 2%. Up to 20% reduction is achievable by stacking R.U.R.s.
  • Fast (it's a heavy without Rider)
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:00 pm

BLAND - I'll let you in the game since you were planning to join already, but otherwise it is closed to new players.

Several things I recommend and allow.

Prospector - Raise bonus to +2%, max 20%
Builder - Max 20%
Scouts are not Garrison when popped, unless you really want that unit to be.

Define 'Limited Moneymancy' please. In general, Limited casting in the game so far has entailed "Being able to cast a couple of specific spells that are that are thematically linked to the unit, and a small Juice pool"
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:03 pm

Oooh, okay that's more generous than I expected. Okay, will make adjustments to the original post as described.

And scout shouldn't be garrison, that's a blooper. Oops.

EDIT: done.
Last edited by BLANDCorporatio on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Crovius » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:06 pm

Has tubler caught up yet? This game was one of the few things that kept me from being bored at work. I am stuck in my office for 4 more hours, I need something to do!

Also, I'm making a Muder Mystery game. Basically its gonan be kinda old school rpg style where you were given a description of the surroundings and what all is going on and give me what your character plans on doing. I'll take all the players' actions and write up several apragraphs of exposition, shwoing the results of their actions and progressing the story a bit at a time with player input determining the outcome of the story.

Caus eI'm Bored.

Yeah, that's right, I make up games to keep me busy. I've been debating on what my Knight unit should be like, I've gone through 10 designs and haven't decided yet.
Crovius

Postby Kaed » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Crovius - No, he hasn't yet. Sorry. And BLAND is joining now, so he'll have to catch up too. I should have been more patient and waited for everyone to be ready before starting, and not letting people get so far ahead of each other ): Keep on eye on the turn number in the discussion thread, I update it.

BLAND - I still need to hear about what you were thinking of with Moneymancy on the D unit.

Also, need to choose to pop A/B or C special unit.

And give me Livery colors/Insignia.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Ehbobo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:15 pm

Kaed, would you happen to know what the dimensions of the world map are?
Ehbobo

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:15 pm

A/B production.

On the D unit, basic Moneymancy is about Transfer Funds and "Smell of Gold" which is like Gold Rush but only gives 25% bonus instead of 50%.

Livery colors are black and red, and for now any picture of a brick will do. Will return with proper livery soon but not within the next half-day that's for sure.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:31 pm

Okay, but Black/Red is already a Livery color, for Toranica. >.< I guess you could keep them, but you'd look an awful lot like his xD

As for the Moneymancy, I'll clarify it then
Limited Moneymancy:
20 Juice, +5 per level.
Smell of Gold - 15 Juice
Transfer Schmuckers - 20 Juice.

Ehbobo - I haven't couned exactly, but probably 100x150 or so. Not all of it is landmass.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Ehbobo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Okay, could you try to figure it out? I would count, but you have the program that lets you zoom in. I think I found a good program that you don't need to download. THANK GOD!

EDIT: Titans. Thank the Titans.
Ehbobo

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:36 pm

That sounds ok (the Mancy I mean).

Toranica is a crown I think ... yeah, having the same colours is not so good but then the two symbols should be fairly easy to tell apart so hopefully it won't be a catastrophe.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games