The Arkentool War - Prologue: "Gathering Clouds"

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: The Arkentool War - Prologue: "Gathering Clouds"

Postby Nihila » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:30 pm

Mkay.

"While I can't help with the barbarians, I intend to retrieve the Feral Horse from C10. If there are any objections, please tell me at once."
--Cdr. Betia, Outpost.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:22 pm

I don't see movement cost for terrain types (unless I missed it in the supplements). Can we have that?
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 4/09/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 4/09/2014 (link is to first page)
tigerusthegreat

Postby Stryke » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:27 pm

"Well thats the long and the short of it, pass that on the CWL would you thanks"
"very well, break"
Deus sighed, well that was a great way to start the turn. Explaining why he spent half the turn unresposive because of a cloud. throw in the barbarians and things ust got worse.
"Whats a 'Charlescom' "Asked Ex. Seeing the look of alarm on Deus's face she continued "i was reveiwing the scouting data, apparently theres a Charlscom representantive in the battlespace."
Deus quickly pulled up the scouting info, Charlscom rarley preceded anything good in his experience. Oh, barbarians, just beyond the castle. This just gets worse and worse. "Charlscom will have to wait we can tdo anything about it from here, those Barbarians on the other hand."n Standing up and removing his armour from a near by pedastil Deus headed for the door, "Come on kid lets get you leveled."

OOC
planning to attack E7
I'm planning to use the Archers to weaken the enemy hex before having Ex lead the pikers in to finish the job. Down side is i'll lose all of my archers and some of my pikers but its the only way i can see that wont result in the loss of a warlord, any advice for anyone.
Stryke

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:49 pm

tigerusthegreat wrote:I don't see movement cost for terrain types (unless I missed it in the supplements). Can we have that?

Move costs are rather unintuitively placed in Section 6.1, Unit Stats. :S I'll go ahead and add a reference in the terrain section to look there for move costs.
WaterMonkey314

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Spoiler: show

A map display for you guys. :)

How are my maps? Are they clear and readable enough? Do they help?
WaterMonkey314

Postby tigerusthegreat » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:13 pm

OOC: Map is good, but Archon is on J8 on map and J9 in the scout report. BTW, do we control our units or does the CW do it. If the latter disregard most of this post.

IC: "How did an archon get this close?" Sir Tigger grumbles, gathering the remaining archers. "Yenniw, try not to loose the city while I'm gone. Rookang, follow me. We are heading towards the barbarians, we need to deal with the problem directly. You will go ahead of me, and I will catch up after I have a word with our little flying friend" He nodded to the spec of an archon floating above the road. When he was properly stacked up with six archers, leaving the last scout in the city, he headed into the road to speak with the archon, waving Rookang on ahead.

"I believe you wanted to speak with a Commander. Life insurance doesn't interest me. However, hiring a unit as powerful as an archon, even a low level one, does interest me. I'm sure Charlie speaks the language of smuckers." He concludes his talks with the archon, planning on following Rookang's path.

Orders:
Rookang's stack (lvl 2 knight, 6 archers 1 scout 2 move) J8 (free road move), I7, H7
Tigger's stack (lvl 4 knight, 6 archers 2 move) J8 (free move, talking to archon), I7, H7
Yenniw's Stack (lvl 1 knight, 2 pikers, 1 scout) fortified in the city

OOC: Edited to update information regarding archon position.
Last edited by tigerusthegreat on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 4/09/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 4/09/2014 (link is to first page)
tigerusthegreat

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Whoops - good catch! I did mean to put the Archon on the road. I'll edit the post accordingly.

You have direct control over your units, though the CW can override orders if s/he chooses - but that's pretty rare. While it's generally not good form to directly order another player's units around, you certainly can - and are encouraged to - point out any errors/omissions/better ideas.

But that's what this Prologue is for - to get you guys used to the system before an all-out situation. :D

PS: Archon talk to come tomorrow.
WaterMonkey314

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:40 am

To repeat, the CWL will rarely if ever alter orders. The reason for messing with the scouting orders was to get the ball rolling, finally.

Watermonkey314, map is nice but a request. Can you post a unit location/side stat post regularly? Right now for example I'm trying to track what castle of ours has what army, and it's inconvenient to hunt for those in two threads.

I'll send "orders" next post. Not much Joan can do from Bailey, so this, really, is your call guys.

EDIT:

question. I notice some Mountain hexes are scouted. All our scouts are walkers. I thought scouts cannot see into hexes they cannot enter.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:21 am

A horse, a horse, her tower for a horse! Definitely the first thing to pop next turn would be a horse, a horse is amazing. At the stroke of its mane it turns into a plane and it turns back again when you tug on the reins, and find yourself where you needed to be. Like five hexes away, where several very tough barbarian stacks were.

"Commander Betia, get any horses you can, then return and defend your outpost. Next turn your leadership may be needed in the field. Commander Deus, your archers will destroy the barbarian longbowmen, but at great cost to themselves. Unless Commanders Pwnd and Jenkins think themselves able to slay the berserkers and longbowmen nearby, Newcastle is in grave danger of being overrun. Commander Pwnd, the foes at E8 are the main target. The archers at F9 will not reach our cities yet. If you are confident that you can croak Charles and Bobby the Red, do so with my blessing, if not my leadership. Should you think however that attacking those stacks is unwise, then I fear we need to think about evacuating Newcastle. Commander Tigger, reinforcing Neufchatel is the right course of action, keep at it."
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby HerbieRai » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:07 am

Do the archer warlords have leadership?

General Battle Plan.
Enemy Stacks
Big archers
Modified Attack: 176.8
Defense: 2.125
Total hits: 40

Big Melee
Modified Attack: 179.01
Defense: 2.625
Total hits: 48

Support Ranged 1
Modified Attack: 62.4
Defense: 1.25 (-1 for on road)
Total Hits: 20
Locatoin: E7

Support Ranged 2
Modified Attack: 62.4
Defense: 3.25 (+1 for forest)
Total Hits: 20

Basic Plan:
Stack of 8 archers moves to E8 and attacks big ranged. Archer stack will be destroyed, but should kill off at least half of the Big Ranged Stack. If we're luckly the enemy will be completely destroyed

Stack of 7 archers and warlord attack Big melee stack. Knight only leads so we get first strike and take out the beserkers (who are at the front of the stack). This should take the Big melee's stack down enough so retaliation doesn't destroy archer stack. I would say do a hit and run, but the knight won't have the move, and we'd want to kill off as many of those beserkers as possible.

Then attack in 2 more waves of spearmen from Neufchatel to take out any leftovers, then move in archers to restack and protect knights (is there still a rule where ranged units have to attack ranged units first?)

Any surviving archers from the attack on the big melee move to Newcastle. Reinforcements from Castlenau move to neufchatel plz???

Alternate plan
Stacks of archers take out the 2 supporting longbow stacks and we leave the big stacks for later. I think this would leave us a little open.

We do not have enough archers in range to take out all 4 stacks, and those supporting archer stacks are strong enough to take out spearmen on the approach.
I think the basics of the plan are sound, but its hard to do exact mathimancy for 2 waves with a random number that goes from .5 to 1. Does the Cheif approve with the basic plan?
Last edited by HerbieRai on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
HerbieRai

Postby Stryke » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:47 am

OOC
A stack may be called Ranged if: all units it contains have the Ranged special, or all units, except the leading Commander, are Ranged, Direct qoute from the rule document posted my Watermonkey
As long as the knigts count as commanders they can lead a ranged stack, they just dont contribute damage. Still contribute to the stack bonus and they still give thier leadership bonus as far as i can see, inless watermonkey wants to rule otherwise.

@BLAND actually dont evac newcastle, if they do atack it might be a cool way of testing the new castle rules added by the sup and if i croak just pop another warlord and i'll use him instead.

in response to herbi's battle plan, that basicallt what i was thinking, use archers to weaken if not eradicate the stack, but it would be full destruction on both sides, and then use a lead stack of pikers to mop up any survivers.
Stryke

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Stryke wrote:@BLAND actually dont evac newcastle, if they do atack it might be a cool way of testing the new castle rules added by the sup and if i croak just pop another warlord and i'll use him instead.

OOC: yes, I know. However, even with all the chivalry or bushido in the world, I suspect some situations would have allowed an honourable retreat. IRL, you can't just pop yourself back into existence. So, IC, Joan would be wary of sacrificing troops needlessly. Castles can be retaken, with the combined might of Neufchatel and Castlenau, and the barbarians would either be pinned down or spread out in a contained area anyway.

IC:

"I believe the first plan is the better of the two. We don't need to pursue the second support ranged stack even. They cannot attack our cities on their turn. The berserkers however can, and probably will put their might against Newcastle. Any one you manage to lay in the cold earth improves Deus' chances. Proceed, and may the Titans be with us."
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby HerbieRai » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:57 pm

So be it. Victory will be ours! Now Jenkins, you know the plan. May the Titans Protect you.

Lets move out men

Jenkins, 8 archers and 8 pikers form 2 stacks and move to F7 using free move, then to F8. Stack of 8 archers attacks the large enemy ranged stack in E8

Commander Deus, If you could send a lead archer unit to damage the beserker stack through D8, then I'll come in and destroy the left overs. Pwnd will be sending some reinforcements to help defend us off turn.

If the rest of the commanders, mainly Tigger and Joan, could get together and decide on what units to send to the capitol. With the current battle plan it will be left almost defenseless, and it is in range of being attacked by the barbarians.
HerbieRai

Postby Nihila » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:39 pm

8 Archers and Cdr. Betia move NE 1 hex, Cdr. Betia tames the Horse, mounts, moves back into Outpost, Horse stacks with Scout in Tower.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby Stryke » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:18 pm

HerbieRai wrote:So be it. Victory will be ours! Now Jenkins, you know the plan. May the Titans Protect you.

Lets move out men

Jenkins, 8 archers and 8 pikers form 2 stacks and move to F7 using free move, then to F8. Stack of 8 archers attacks the large enemy ranged stack in E8

Commander Deus, If you could send a lead archer unit to damage the beserker stack through D8, then I'll come in and destroy the left overs. Pwnd will be sending some reinforcements to help defend us off turn.

If the rest of the commanders, mainly Tigger and Joan, could get together and decide on what units to send to the capitol. With the current battle plan it will be left almost defenseless, and it is in range of being attacked by the barbarians.

Cant the rule saying i have to attack the raged stack first is still there, section 5.4
Stryke

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Alright - so a lot of things have happened!

Unit position listing, as requested:
Castlenau (K8)
2 x Piker, Lord Yenniw Hoop (1)

H7:
6 x Archer (2M), Scout (3M), Sir Tigger the Spring (4) (0M)
6 x Archer (2M), Scout (3M), Lady Rookang (2) (0M)

Outpost (B11)
7 x Archer (1M), Cdr. Betia (4) (0M)
1 x Scout, Horse (9M)

Bailey (G2)
6 x Scout, 3 x Archer, Joan of Arc (6)

Neufchatel (G6)
6 x Archer, Cmdr. Pwnd (5)
4 x Scout

F8:
8 x Archer (3M) - about to enter E8 and engage Ranged stack
8 x Piker (3M), Cmdr. Leroy Jenkins (1M) (1)

Newcastle (C7)
Deus (4), Ex (1)
7 Archers
7 Pikers
2 Scouts

Some clarifications:

Re: scouting mountains - Er... your scouts are really talented? Or they've got good eyes? :D That detail slipped my mind - I suppose for this scenario it doesn't matter.

Re: Archer warlords - they do have Leadership.

Re: Herbie's plan - You guys can indeed send a melée stack to attack the Berserkers in E8 after you've engaged the Longbowmen. For that matter, the Longbowmen might get wiped out anyway. We'll see.

Discussion with Lily the Archon:
"Of course I can give you a free quote on our security services! I'll work with you to craft a deal that fits your budget and needs! Hiring a single Archon like myself starts as low as 500 pop pts - let me just call in and check on our current prices. I'll toss in some insurance quotes, too - we don't just deal in life insurance. We can insure your cities against barbarian raids for very affordable prices. Let's see what it'll cos-

Oh. Wow. Umm. Yes, well, umm let me just say that this is decidedly strange... Well, I promised I'd tell you... Your premium for a 10 000 pt policy, based on our best intelligence and actuarial algorithms, is 3500 pts/turn. Insuring a level 3 city for 100 000 pts against invasion would run you a cool 50 000 pts/turn. I'd, er, watch your back if I were you.

And it gets weirder, too - Charlie's authorized me to work with you guys "premium service" for just 400 pts - that's a saving of nearly 90%!!! You'd be able to order me around like one of your own units, so long as it's within reason - you still have the "no return" penalty clause of 30 000 pts if I get killed in battle. Just between you and me, I'd rather it not come to that, okay? You'll also get access to several of my special powers - that ought to help you a lot, and it seems like you'll need it.
WaterMonkey314

Postby HerbieRai » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Stryke wrote:Cant the rule saying i have to attack the raged stack first is still there, section 5.4

I think that's overridden by the rule that says you have to attack every stack in the hex before you can attack one stack twice.
HerbieRai

Postby Stryke » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 pm

even so you'd have to engage the ranged stack first, then if Watermonkey will let us i could engage the beserker stack with my ranged unit, i'd probably destroy most of it but then that leaves anything in the hex between the two support groups, which i can't see ending well unless we can pull something out of the archons ass or deploy some major defensive stacks as back up.

Revised battle plan.
assuming a first attack on the ranged stack ment the next attack had to be on the beserker stack, as per your previous statment
If you have a ranged stack to sacrifice on the barbarian ranged stack i could probably reduce the beserker stack sufficiently that a second wave would do the job. we'd have to leave everything in the hex to prevent a wipe on the barbarians turn though and the initial attack would have to be ranged or would probably be wiped with no retaliation.

Also as "reasonable" as the Archons initial employment cost sounds, are there any /turn costs and can you be a bit clearer on how the no return policy works.
Stryke

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:04 pm

If BLAND could check these results off the official Mine Island Oddworld spreadsheet, I'd appreciate it - I had to do some repair work on the formulae, and I want to make sure I didn't bungle anything.

The seed is based off HerbieRai's post where he orders the attack. Like other TBf games, you guys can run your own battles immediately after you post - you don't have to wait for me.

Battle is joined in hex: E8
TIME OF POST (in minutes and seconds): 5711
Attacker:
Total Attack Value: 40
Average Unit level 1
Average Defense 2
Number of Units: 8
Dancefight? (1: yes, 0:no) 0
Stacking Bonus: 1.7
Highest Commander level: 0.0
Terrain Bonus of Hex: 0.0
Fatigue factor: 1.0 {Default is 1.0}
Hit and Run? (1: yes, 0: no) 0.0
Random Percentage: 75%
Total Damage (before defense): 51

Hits Inflicted on the Enemy: 37

Defender:
Total Attack Value: 80
Average Unit level: 1
Average Defense: 2
Number of Units: 8.0
Dancefight? (1: yes, 0:no) 0.0
Stacking Bonus: 1.7
Highest Commander level: 3.0
Terrain Bonus of Hex: 0.0
Fatigue factor: 1.0 {Default is 1.0}
Ambush Bonus: 1.0 {Default is 1.0 - Ambush is 2.0}
Random Percentage: 75%
Total Damage (before defense): 136

Hits Inflicted on the Enemy: 102

The Camerian archers valiantly fell the 7 barbarian Longbowmen and wound Charles the Red, leaving him with 3 hits. Unfortunately, they are left veritable pincushions by the longbowmen's volleys. Strangely, the barbarians seem not to leave any bodies...
Last edited by WaterMonkey314 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaterMonkey314

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Stryke wrote:Also as "reasonable" as the Archons initial employment cost sounds, are there any /turn costs and can you be a bit clearer on how the no return policy works.

To clarify, a single cost of 400 pop pts to hire the Archon indefinitely - Charlie's really giving you an astounding deal... though why? :twisted:

Re: no return policy - if you don't return the Archon to Charlie at the end of the contract, you incur a significant penalty of 30 000 points.

You guys did alright in the attack on the ranged stack - keep in mind as well that you can attack multiple times per turn (at a fatigue penalty), so it shouldn't be too hard to clean up poor Charles.
WaterMonkey314

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games