The Shadow of Anvelis (PbP Game)

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: The Shadow of Anvelis (PbP Game)

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:24 am

Vesk lifted his head to listen to the Prince speak. Defend...? Would anyone attack them? Was there anyone left? Certainly all the ships currently at sea would still be sailing... but the odds of running into one... still, with supplies low as they were now, infighting would seem ineveitable... even on this ship. Sighing, Vesk waited on deck for the muster.
Last edited by Cmdr I. Heartly Noah on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Gerwulf » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:15 am

chrono wrote:OOC: Is the staff in sight? No, you don't see it anywhere
Also, how big is the room they're staying in and what else is in there (especially, how many beds)? Drake found one of the officer’s quarters the room is about 5x7 with 2 hammocks and a single desk. Not much else is in the room.

Slowly people began to gather on the deck of the ship. Not much conversation passed between them as each felt lost in their own thoughts. It seemed like time had crawled to a stop, waiting in silence the crowd was tense; unsure of what was to come they stared with bated breath at the door Tevin had disappeared behind earlier. When he finally did emerge it was apparent that he had been crying, his eyes were red, and his eye lashes plastered to his face. He spoke with measured calm however, and the authority in his voice was calming to the assembled mass, “Thank you all for your willingness to hear me out. I fear that in the days to come I will ask more of each of you than is my right, but as the heir to the throne it falls to me to do everything in my power to assure our safety and our survival. My guards, and the men who crew this ship are capable and honest, but they will not be able to watch over us all day and night without help. I will not require any of you to help guard, but I will ask it of each of you. This ship was prepared to sail a great distance, and was intended to hold a small army when it went. We have arms below deck for those of you who wish to use them. Those of you who wish nothing to do with this, you may go below decks and find a cot to sleep in. Those of you who wish to aid us, please step forward and introduce yourself to me. I would not ask a stranger to lay down his life in my service; if you will serve I would know your name.” When he finished speaking the group stood still watching, as if each of them was waiting for someone else to make the first move…
Gerwulf

Postby Lothmar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:24 am

After finding himself a place in file with those whom had assembled he waited patiently for the arrival of the prince. 'I sincerely doubt there's anything else to do on this boat, might as well take out my various frustrations learning to swing a sword while managing to keep the company of those with strength in arms.' He thought trying to hide a smirk as he listened to the princes words. He waited for only a moment until he realized some of these people would perhaps need a charismatic push. Besides, best to make an impression early.

Stepping forward he took a knee and stated. "I am Drake, son of Castle; Husband of Sarah De'lah Draconia," 'I unfortunately assume I am now head of that family with her father and my wife being dead.' He clenched his face for a moment knowing full well this wasn't the time for such things, he was trying to be inspirational dammit. "Current head of the house Draconia and Magician in training." He adds with a small display of prestidigitation as a bit of smoke coils out from his hand before he twists his wrist to increase the dramatic effect before clenching his hand in a small flash of light.
((Doubt a charisma check would actually work, but insert sparkling teeth if need be. Also, if that cant be done, can I lift a conveniently located flower with prestidigitation from nearby and crush it overhead so the petals can flutter down over me gently? XD))

~If the situation feels more formal he will wait a moment for acknowledgment and politely step aside~
~If he feels it is a simple matter of introductions he will politely step aside soon after introduction to allow the next introduction to proceed unimpeded~
Lothmar

Postby Skyrar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:50 am

"Corlen. From... Cale."

The pain in the princes face drew Corlen to that man. He seemed to feel almost as bad as he did. That was enough. Whatever he had to offer was better than staring at planks, fearing instant death by fire and thinking about his lost family. So after the strange "Magician in training" had announced himself, he stepped forward, straightening his back as he was suddenly in front of the group. Uncounciously wipping sweat from his brow, he forgot to kneel down before the royal, just spoke in a tone surprisingly calm.

"I'd be willing to help. I'm a good shot."
True Neutral Human Barbarian/Bard (2nd/1st Level)
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby chrono » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:10 pm

Lothmar wrote: "It almost sounds like you're accuseing me of not wishing her well being," He adds with a chuckle "Old timer." He adds in reply to 'lad' knowing full well he probably meant no disrespect.

Franklyn continues the examination without looking up: "Whatever gave you that idea?". He pauses and realizing that Drake may not be familiar with a cleric's role in a royal retinue continues: "As a cleric of Diamitriis it is my obligation to care for the wounded as well as protect this ship to the best of my ability and it is a duty I take seriously. That isn't to say I don't respect your courage in bringing the woman on board. Also...", he makes a brief pause as he turns the woman to one side slightly, "...it's father Lorbel if you don't mind."

As Drake introduces himself (again?), Franklyn turns toward him and replies: "Pleased to make your acquaintance Drake. Sorry, but I must have missed it the first time - there was much on my mind as that dreadful arcane desolation was burning the land."

It doesn't take much time for the examination to be over - apart from the fever there were few symptoms that a healer would recognize. Franklyn takes his time to look around the room and Drake for the first time. "Is something wrong with your shoulder?", he asks.

As Drake turns to leave for the upper deck, Franklyn takes his backpack off with a small *thump* and asks: "Do you mind if I leave some of my gear in here for now? I haven't had time to look for a bed yet and it's no good me going around carrying all of this." Especially on this infernal boat, the cleric thinks to himself.

Edit: (oops, missed something)

Franklyn waits for most people to be introduced and then steps toward Tevin. "Lord Tevin, I am father Lorbel - though we met earlier I wish to reaffirm my resolve to protect you and the people on this ship to the best of my ability... May Diamitriis clear our path from our enemies".
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:35 pm

Waiting his turn, Vesk stepped forward. Now would be the time, he thought, for a rousing speech, some great oratory to fill these folk with strength, but... no words came. What could he say to lift the weight of this situation?

"Your majesty... My name is Vesk. My life is yours. I am no soldier, but I'm not incapable. I am... was... an advocate, Lord. All my talents, such as they are, are yours to command."
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby jioan » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:44 pm

Zorbo quickly wighed the pros and cons of joining the Price's service. If he chose to join he would get new weapons and would be able to get closer to the prince. It's best to leave as many doors open as possible. I'm going to have to use a few of them someday. If he didn't join he'd be viewed as a coward. It was quite obvious he'd fought before and he'd be looked down on by everyone else on the ship for not joining. Well, I guess the choice is obvious. Zorbo thought as he got in line.

When he got to the front he looked up at Tevin and spoke clearly "Your majesty, I am Zorbo Woodshaper, a craftsman who used to live near Dunemore. I have come to offer my abilites when they are needed as well as Jagg's though I hope the situation never arises." Zorbo smooths the wolf's fur and walks away from the Prince.
jioan

Postby Gerwulf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:05 am

As each of the men rose and announced themselves to Tevin, he looked them in the eyes, mouthing their name as they said it. He was trying his best to remember all of them, though it was obvious he would forget a few. When the last of the men had stepped forward Tevin spoke again, “Thank you all for your willingness to serve. Please see the captain of the guard for your assignment.” He then turned and walked back into the room from which he had emerged earlier. A tall older man with a scarred face took his place, “I’m Brathton, captain of Prince Tevin’s personal guard. You’ll report to me for duty. For now I need you all to divide into three groups.” As he spoke he drew an invisible line down the group with his hand indicating where they should split. “Group one,” he said indicating the men to his left, “will help with first watch; from sun up to mid day. Group two,” he said indicating the group where Drake, Corlen, Franklyn, Vesk and Zorbo stood among 5 other men, “Will take second watch; mid day to nightfall. And the third group will take last watch, through the night.” He waved his hand towards the third group of men as he spoke. After speaking he turned to leave, and then added almost as an afterthought, “Each of you will receive an extra loaf of bread for rations as payment for your services. When we land, a more permanent form of payment will be established. Dismissed.” The men from group one immediately headed to various posts as the sun was beginning to rise above the vast expanse of blue in front of them. One of the men from the second watch spoke, “guess we’d better get some rest. ‘T has been a long night, and I for one don’t want to be the first to fall asleep on duty.” He laughed an awkward, forced laugh, and then headed below decks followed by most of the others.
Gerwulf

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:34 am

"Captain Brathon," Vesk spoke as he made to follow the old man, "I don't mean to tell you your job, sir, but my eyes would be more use to you at night."
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby jioan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:13 am

Zorbo followed the man down into the ship where he found a cot he could use as his own. It was located in a room with five other cots but none of them had been taken. Zorbo got on his bed and told Jagg, "You keep watch until it's time for my shift. Then you can sleep up on the deck." Zorbo knew he understood because of the way he reacted. Zorbo then fell asleep until it was time for hm to do his new job.
jioan

Postby Skyrar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:32 am

Corlen entered the room. One man in here, and a wulf. Carefully not to anger the beast, Corlen took a bed on the other side of the room. Here he lay, but awake, sleep would not come. Staring at the planks from the other way now, and listening to the quiet breathing of the animal. Outside, the waves were performing their endless task of rocking the boat and driving him close to being seasick.
True Neutral Human Barbarian/Bard (2nd/1st Level)
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby Lothmar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:51 pm

((Quick note in response to Chrono- Drake waves his hands unceremoniously over his shoulder as he leaves as if to approve the mans decision to set up there. ((Then it would have been my last post. So now to my current post.))

Decideing not to make his new captains life any tougher then it would be with everything that was happening he stepped back two paces before turning to walk across the deck to avoid most of the people going down below. He found an open section of railing to lean against to watch the moon for the next three hours, after which he would sleep until noon and hopefully have enough time for brunch before reporting to duty. But for now he gazed at the moon and tried not to smile as he tried to find the right words to marvel at the amuseing take on the wish he had been mulling over in his head that entire night looking for an escape. "Heh."
Lothmar

Postby chrono » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Franklyn waits for a few more minutes and then heads back below deck. After checking if the old woman's condition has changed, he carefully unstrapped all his weapons and put them to one side. Then he removed his armor and stretched his arms and back a bit, then looked down at all his gear lying in his feet. He shrugged and unrolled the bedroll near the wall no more than an arm's length away from the door. Then he gathered his things closer, took a deep breath and stretched on the bedroll.

Once Drake returns Franklyn gets up and says "I'm really sorry to impose but the presence of this woman on our ship worries me and I'd feel much more at ease if I could keep an eye on her and her condition. While it seemed that she was trying to protect us it is nevertheless evident that her presence coincided with ours at the time of the destruction. I haven't had time to really contemplate if this was a coincidence, a divine plan or a fortunate or unfortunate turn of events. Regardless, her fate is somehow tied to ours and I won't get any sleep if she's out of my sight for very long".

Unless Drake has anything else to say, Franklyn lies down again and soon falls asleep.

OOC: I just realized I haven't posted prepared spells, so here's the general preparation that Franklyn makes (unless he knows what he's facing). Hmm... no spoiler tags?

lvl 0 (3x)
-detect magic
-light
-purify food and drink
lvl 1 (1 + 1 + 1)
-enlarge person
-protection from evil
-entropic shield
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Gerwulf » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:"Captain Brathon," Vesk spoke as he made to follow the old man, "I don't mean to tell you your job, sir, but my eyes would be more use to you at night."

Captain Brathon turned slowly to look at the half orc, "Yes they would, but we have our ways of seeing at night. You will be in the second group. my disision is final." that said he turned again and continued towards his post at the helm of the ship.
Gerwulf

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:57 pm

"Aye, Captain." Vesk said as he watched the old man go, then wandered off to their berths, where he could unbuckle his sword and pull the dagger from his boot, and for that matter, take off his boots and lie down. He hadn't quite realized just how tired he was. In the end, it had been a very long day...
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Lothmar » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:02 am

~If something happens before I return to the room after 3 am, ignore the following~

Though the night and moon were refreshing, he was still tired. Entering the room he stood to stare at Franklyne blankly for a few seconds before trudging over towards a hammock he would temporarily claim for himself, regardless if it was his or not all the while listening to his chatter.

"Do as you like father," He adds grumbling "Father, Pheh. NEver really ever had too much luck with fathers."

He slides into the hammock and lays face down, his head popping slightly over the side so he can still mutter as he slowly gets comfortable. "Will it aint like you're clairvoyant, hindsight's twenty twenty, all that avoiding responsibility for the unpredictable malarkey." He adds with a groan. His face suddenly smiles. "Heh..." He snickers for a second and rolls over in the hammock as he begins to chuckle. "Always, more... Fish in the sea." He tries not to but he openly laughs for a good few seconds before forcing himself to sleep.
Lothmar

Postby Gerwulf » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:10 pm

Each of the survivors dropped into various states of rest and passed the early morning hours sleeping or alone with their thoughts. A call from the galley roused them as noon approached, and one of the soldiers ushered them into the dining area. Each person was given a small bowl of thick green paste and half a loaf of bread. The paste tasted slightly of wild herbs, but was otherwise unremarkable. The volunteers were each given an extra half a loaf of bread. Soon they were all on deck, assigned to various posts on the sides or front of the ship. Each volunteer was paired with one of the soldiers that had come with Tevin, and the soldiers were doing their best to teach the others what to look for. As the day progressed Zorbo noticed a school of large fish swimming near the boat. Their shadows barely visible below the waves, he couldn’t make out their shapes, but they were definitely following the ship. Possibly using the ships wake to pull themselves along they seem to glide at the same speed, neither loosing nor gaining on the ship. Each fish appeared to be between 2 and 3 feet long. Zorbo counted 20, but there could be more on the other side of the ship.
Gerwulf

Postby jioan » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:40 pm

When Zorbo noticed the fish he grew catious. The way they followed the ship was similar to the way most predators who hunted in packs scouted out herds. They could try to take the ship and probably could if they damaged the hull enough we'd sink. Zorbo still wasn't positive whether or not they dangerous but the odds weren't very good. He ran with Jagg along the deck and saw Captain Brathon walking about. He went up to him and spoke.

"Captain I was on watch duty a few seconds ago and noticed a group of around 20 creatures following us. They are moving at the exact same speed we are, but they are definitely trailing us. This may be a false alarm and they might not be dangerous, but I thought you'd like to know."
jioan

Postby chrono » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Franklyn was sound asleep but he was up and alert before the soldier's arm was done knocking on the door. He quickly inspected the condition of the old woman and then focused on his things on the floor. "Would you mind helping me with this breastplate because otherwise it will take me forever to put it on", he asked Drake. Once Franklyn is done equipping it (with or without help), he quickly arranges a number of things in his bag and joins the others in the dining area. Franklyn eats his brunch and only takes a few moments to survey the others around him.

Once that is over, he goes on the deck, meets the soldier assigned with him and finds a convenient place for his gear. This is to say, somewhere close to their post where it is easily accessible but not in the way of anybody and hopefully where it can be tied down to something using the straps of the bag. Finally straps the shield and the mace on top of the bag.

OOC: carried eqipment - breastplate (worn), bastard sword (on belt), 2x daggers (on belt), javelin (carried)
OOC: equipment in (or on top of) bag - heavy steel shield, morningstar, 3x javelin, 2x torches, 2x oil, flint & steel, 1x trial rations, waterskin
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby TheCake » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:03 pm

OOC:Where am I? And what was I doing? Also I'm back from my camping
TheCake

PreviousNext