The Shadow of Anvelis (PbP Game)

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: The Shadow of Anvelis (PbP Game)

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:05 am

Vesk was almost certain that the extra half a loaf of bread wasn't worth standing about for eight hours. Still, he'd spend it waiting around on deck anyway; he couldn't stand too much time in those berths.

Vesk had taken the time to select two harpoons from the armory to add to his personal arms of sword and dagger. He rested them between a pair of belaying pins and leaned up against the railing of the ship.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Gerwulf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:28 am

jioan wrote:"Captain I was on watch duty a few seconds ago and noticed a group of around 20 creatures following us. They are moving at the exact same speed we are, but they are definitely trailing us. This may be a false alarm and they might not be dangerous, but I thought you'd like to know."

Captain Brathon looked Zorbo up and down before speaking, "Creatures following the ship you say?" He looked to the side as if searching his memory for some precedent, "Show them to me." He turned to the soldier with him and spoke quietly, "Get the men ready, there may be trouble." The soldier quickly made his way below decks and Captain Brathon followed Zorbo to the edge of the ship. They looked over the side and watched the shadows for a few moments.
Gerwulf

Postby Lothmar » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:35 am

The call to mess nearly caused Drake to flip out of the hammock, thankfully he clung on and was able to release himself so it wasnt a complete fall, more a minor plunk. "Huma-wha," He groaned tiredly slowly getting to his feet and trying to shake of fatigue. As Franklyn asked for his assistance with his armor he grunted. "Yeah, yeah" He added yawning. "Just let me, get my clothes on." He added stripping the clothes he had fallen asleep in and putting on his travelers outfit. He pondered for a moment his back to franklyn staring at his new deformed hands, 'Nearly did something stupid.' He thought to himself slipping on his cloth gloves with the leather fingertip caps that a tailor would use to avoid pin pricks that he had procured from the tailor when he purchased the outfit.

"Allright, so I just hold this," He adds supporting weight of the armor "And latch this here." Eventually they were both ready and he followed a few minutes after Franklyn after tending his hair and giving himself a 'sink bath'. Sitting down to brunch he stared at his food for a moment with a sigh, testing its taste to guage. 'Warm them both a bit and lets give the bread and oatmeal a bit of spice, cinamon sugar should do.'

~One application of prestidigitation to get his food to the right temperature~
~A second application of prestidigitation to flavor his food appropriately (im fairly sure the food does not weigh more then a pound...)~

"Hmm, maybe i'll try to do butter tomorrow." He adds after sipping some of the soup. "Hmm, wonder if I can earn some favor volunteering for cooking detail. It would help if we run out of spice stores." He adds in a ponderous tone. ~If there's no interaction~

After being paired up with his own personal soldier he did his best to get along and be observant listening to his instructions.
Lothmar

Postby Skyrar » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:31 am

Getting up. Washing up. Watching the other survivors struggle to their feet. The sleepy blur left with breakfast and the oppurtunity to do something. Yawning, Corlen stood at the rail, only half listening to the words of the soldier who tried to explain something to him. All there was to see here was water. Still no land, no sign of survivors, nothing. Only water and busy people. He was never much of a peoples person and for now, the hectic measures to save, guard and construct around him were rapidly getting on his nerves. Whistling a tune, he stared at the horizon. A few birds, a swarm, probably, lost as he was on this lousy ship. "Would the land show up, I'd probably dance." he thought, checkig the position of his [thing that holds the Bow in place. Belt?].
True Neutral Human Barbarian/Bard (2nd/1st Level)
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby TheCake » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:53 pm

I notice the gnome who called himself "Zorbo" talk to the captain as he does i wonder if has much loot on him/in his quarters; Nah, those nature folk tend to keep "material wealth" low on their LoIT's (List Of Important Things). Huh, the captain's following him back maybe it's important, If it is then a quick response might increase my standings with him I should go over there and see what they're talking about. I go to zorbo and the captain and ask what the problem is
TheCake

Postby Gerwulf » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:33 am

Garret Underhill walked up to Zorbo and the Captain, “Is there anything wrong?” he asked peering over the edge. Captain Brathon spoke without shifting his gaze, “These fish, they’re following us. It doesn’t feel right, but…” he trailed off. As the Captain’s voice trailed off one of the fish dove, disappearing from view, followed moments later by the others. Captain Brathon stepped back from the rail, “Ready yourselves men!” he yelled out drawing his sword. Before the others could react, one of the fish surfaced and jumped out of the water. It sailed up over the rail and landed on two thick webbed feet. It stood about 3 feet tall, its round body covered in blue-green scales. Strapped to its side was a thin curved blade, probably a short sword of some kind, though the design and craftsmanship were foreign to all the observers. Moments later 14 others landed on the ship, 7 on each side. They looked around for a moment before the leader spoke; it was a strange hissing language none had heard before. One of the underlings reacted with surprise to the leaders words, though his response was equally impossible to understand. The leader looked around at the assembled men before issuing a command of only three words. None could understand them but the intent was clear; “Kill them all” and the creatures drew their blades…
Gerwulf

Postby TheCake » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:20 pm

On my initiative count: Draw my shortsword (holding it in my main (left) hand) then either:
If there is an enemy next to me attack it (if multiple, one that hasn't acted yet and/or is being flanked with me if there is multiple that fit that then whichever looks more wounded)
otherwise move to flank one of them while prevoking the least amount of attacks of opportunity possible (tumbling if necessary (+8 tumble DC15))
TheCake

Postby Lothmar » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:20 pm

"Rally! Dont let em flank us," He called out to the soldier he was assigned to and any other that were near enough to hear and listen as he moved behind him. Once out of direct line of sight to an opponent he casts Shield on himself and then removes his right hands finger caps as he places the tips of all his fingers in his mouth, pulls his hand free to his side and spits out the leather bits as they clink to the ground. "We cant let em' run free, box 'em in!"

~If opponent/s move up to engage the soldier but not him, he'll cast shield on the soldier if he's not wearing a tower shield, (and if needed to be in melee reach (If im threatened, defensive casting mode) five foot step up and as a swift action (draconic claws ability for spells with standard cast time)give an opponent a swipe with my claw.
If Drake is the target he'll cast fist of stone *Defensive casting - 15+1=16 concentration check* and as a swift action (draconic claws ability for spells with standard cast time)give an opponent a swipe with my claw ~
Last edited by Lothmar on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lothmar

Postby Skyrar » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Corlen searched for the mast to climb up, sprinting towards it and trying to get up as fast as possible. Once up there, he'd have a good shooting position, at least, that was his plan. If all went well with that, he would climb up until he'd reach the first safe spot, draw his bow, and start shooting.
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:41 pm

Vesk steps over to his harpoons (javelins) and grabs them both. He'll stick close to his soldier and throw one harpoon at the first fishman to get close. After that he'll use the other one like a shortspear to cover his soldier from behind/the side.
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby jioan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:02 am

Jagg attacks our closest oppoanant with his 2 claws (Multiple times if possible). Zorbo draws his scimitar and takes out his shield. He goes to the same enemy Jagg did and attacks it.
jioan

Postby chrono » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:54 am

Franklyn draws his sword and waves it above his head: "By Diamitriis' point, this trickery will be your last mistake". He then invokes the blessing of his god (enlarge person on himself) and prepares to meet his foes.

OOC: If threatened, using 5ft step to avoid having to cast defensively. Otherwise, stepping 5ft toward the closest enemy after the spell is cast. For the duration of the combat (unless stated otherwise) Franklyn will try to position himself so he can keep two enemies in front of him while trying not to let the attackers surround him.
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Gerwulf » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:56 am

“Rally! Don’t let ‘em flank us, we can’t let ‘em run free, box ‘em in!” Yelled Drake as he stepped behind the soldier nearest him. He muttered something else under his breath and a thin blue light sprang up in front of him. The creature nearest Drake moved to attack him, but the soldier with Drake moved faster and brought his sword down hard on the creature. It looked to be a killing blow until the creature moved its own sword to deflect the blow. The soldier recoiled from the parry and left himself open for the creature to slice into his leg. The creature stepped forward with what could only be described as a smile on its face… (The soldier is Severally Wounded)

Jagg leapt at the nearest creature before it could draw its sword and slashed its body open with his claws. The creature jumped at Jagg intending to bite him, but Zorbo’s blade caught the creature on the head and it fell to the deck with a sickening thud. Two more creatures moved towards the gnome and wolf, one lashed out at Jagg but the wolf dodged the attack with ease, the second jumped at Zorbo, its blade glancing off of his. Garret took advantage of the opening to tumble behind the creature attacking Zorbo; he drew his sword and thrust it into the creature’s back, a satisfied smile playing on his lips as its lifeless body slid down his blade and onto the deck of the ship. Captain Brathon moved towards the others, but before he could join them a third creature jumped towards him and blocked his path. The two circled testing each other’s defenses, neither landing a blow…

Vesk quickly moved towards his weapons. He grabbed his harpoons and hurled one at one of the creatures charging him, it struck the creature breaking its charge but not killing it. The second creature reached him slashing him with its blade, the curved blade cut deeply into his arm and he felt blood flow from his body. The Soldier nearest him ran over and swung his axe at the creature landing a good blow; it knocked the creature down but didn’t kill it… (Vesk is Severely Wounded; both creatures are almost dead)

The soldier nearest Corlen drew his sword and approached two of the creatures, he thrust at one of them glancing its side. The two creatures attacked at the same time, one sliced into his leg, while the other thrust up into his gut. The soldier fell to the ground. Corlen ran towards the mast, he reached the base of it and started to climb up, there was a good perch about 10 feet up that he could use to look down on the battle and pick off the enemy. He shouldered his bow and started to climb. A few moments into his climb one of the creatures saw what he was doing and charged him, leaping into the air. It pierced his side with its sword and knocked him from the mast and the two went tumbling to the deck of the ship… (Corlen is almost dead; the soldier is dying)

“By Diamitriis’ point, this trickery will be your last mistake.” Yelled Franklyn as he waved his sword above his head. Then holding his holy symbol in front of him he called on the power of Diamitriis. A bright yellow light enveloped him and his body began to grow in size. Soon he towered over everybody, and the creatures seemed frightened by his sudden growth, none attacked him directly, and those who were headed in his direction changed course and headed for smaller targets…

(After the initial round of combat we have two wounded party members, two wounded soldiers, two dead creatures, and two wounded creatures. Leaving us with 11 creatures of full health. 3 are attacking Zorbo, Garret, Jagg and Captain Brathon. 3 are attacking Corlen, 1 is attacking Drake, and 4 are attacking other soldiers not near the party. Vesk is fighting two of the wounded creatures.)
Gerwulf

Postby TheCake » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:56 am

OOC: Continue my strategy
TheCake

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25 am

"Aagh!" the creature's blade sunk into Vesk's arm and he staggered back. Luckily the soldier came in and saved him. The pain was so intense, like nothing he'd ever felt. Suddenly he forgot about it, however, as he watched a creature leap up and drag someone off of the mast, causing them to crash into the deck among several more creatures.

Filled with dread and urgency, Vesk forgot his wound, hefted his second harpoon, and said to the soldier next to him, "We've got to help him!"

((Vesk will try to finish off the creature prone at his feet, stepping on its weapon hand if necessary and driving his harpoon down on the thing. He assumes the soldier will try to dispatch the one 10 feet away with a harpoon in it. After stabbing the prone fishman, Vesk will advance with his soldier, helping him deal with the harpooned creature if necessary, then making all possible speed across the deck through the seemingly unobstructed corridor ahead of them to where the creature has downed Corlen, to deal with him (and possibly his two buddies, yeesh). Once he gets close he will start by throwing his harpoon at the nearest unengaged fishman and drawing his sword. This is probably two or three rounds of actions, but I'm just trying to put my plan down in words.))
Last edited by Cmdr I. Heartly Noah on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Lothmar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:07 pm

"Looks like im having fish tonight!" *Intimidate (If I dont have the actions to use intimidate and all the remainding actions, ignore use of intimidate)* He called out menacingly as he began to cast a spell still shielded by the soldier, ~Fist of stone~ As the small inscribed pebble shatters it seems to pull in the dust from the very air around him until he has a large arm of stone with granite covered talons; All the while taking quickened steps to angrily smite this creature who had struck his partner; with a powerful downward slash.

(Five foot step up after casting -Draconic claw grants me an attack as a swift action if I cast a spell with a 'standard' casting time)
(Str is now 20 - MAB = +5 ( Claw = 1d6+5, the spell also gives me the option of a 1d6+5 natural slam attack as well if I want bludgeoning damage.)
Last edited by Lothmar on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lothmar

Postby chrono » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:13 pm

"Slither away if you wish...", Franklyn grins, "but getting away ain't that easy for war is upon you!". With that he raises his sword and moves toward the nearest foe with a menacing grin.

OOC: Franklyn tries to leverage his reach and attack from 10ft whenever possible. If able, he positions himself so that two enemies are (roughly) in front of him, so that both are 10ft away form him.

Edit: after seeing the map, this means essentially moving 2 squares up and 2 left (taking a slightly longer route so as not to provoke AoO). If for some reason the two enemies to the top-right of that position are not standing and/or in reach when it's Franklyn's turn, he steps 1 down one to the right instead.
Last edited by chrono on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Skyrar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:43 am

Corlen tries to draw his dagger in the brawl and hurt the creature near him, then he tries to get down the stairs behind him to avoid being slaughtered by three of the beasts at once.
Ability Scores:
Strength- 12
Dexterity- 11
Constitution- 10
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 13
Skyrar

Postby jioan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:57 am

Zorbo and Jagg continue fighting the three creatures attacking them. They focus together on the same one. Jagg uses 2 claws and Zorbo uses his scimitar.
jioan

Postby Gerwulf » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:51 am

Drake smiled back at the creature, “Looks like I’m having fish tonight.” He said, crushing a small pebble in his hand, thick grey dust encircled his arm and coated his claws. Roaring he slammed his fist into the creature killing it instantly. The soldier with him stepped back in shock, he gathered himself for a moment and then turned and rushed to help Corlen. The soldier stuck his blade into the creature that had pulled Corlen from the mast pinning it to the deck. The he drew his back up sword and turned to face the other two advancing on the hapless young man. “Stand quickly or they’ll tear you to pieces before you get the chance.

Jagg tore into the monster closest to him ripping open its stomach. It howled in pain and raised its blade to strike at Jagg, but Zorbo ran it through before it had the chance. One of the creatures turned its attention to Garret, it thrust at him, but he dodged quickly out of the way, Garret side stepped and slashed back at the creature narrowly missing. Captain Brathon landed a solid blow on the creature he was fighting, knocking it to the ground. He started to step over it to assist Garret but it rose back up and planted its blade squarely in Captain Brathon’s gut. The captain fell to the deck bleeding heavily.

Vesk Ran the creature at his feet through with his remaining javelin. “We’ve got to help him!” he said pointing to Corlen. The soldier advanced on the one wounded by Vesk’s earlier harpoon and felled it with a quick stroke to its head, “come on now. We have a clear line to him.” And the two of them advanced towards the far side of the ship.

The two creatures nearest Corlen both charged him and the soldier who had moved to protect him. The first impaled the soldier dropping him to make room for the other to reach Corlen. Corlen got to his feet just in time to parry the blow that was coming

Franklyn Stepped forward, “Slither away if you wish, but getting away ain’t that easy for war is upon you!” He said as he brought his sword down on one of the hapless creatures. The two halves of the creature both sailed into the ocean, the creatures companion turned around to see what had killed its friend and paused in shock at the sight of the giant before him. The soldiers he had been fighting took the opportunity to slay it where it stood.

-----------------(round 3 - 18 seconds after they drew their swords)

Jagg turned and pulled down the creature fighting Captain Brathon, ripping its throat out, Zorbo and Garret surrounded the last creature near them and ran it through at the same time.
Vesk Hurled his javelin at the creature attacking Corlen landing a mighty blow, the creature turned to see where the attack had come from and Corlen use the opening to ram his dagger into its chest killing it. The soldier with Vesk charged forward and ran the last of the creatures near Corlen through.

The last creature surveyed the deck of the ship for a moment and then jumped overboard leaving silence and death behind it. A few soldiers ran up from below decks and surveyed the scene, “Where are they, are there any left?”
Gerwulf

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games