The Battle for Hex World (TW inspired War Game) *recruiting*

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

The Battle for Hex World (TW inspired War Game) *recruiting*

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:57 am

Didn't get a lot of bites over at giant, so reposting this here. This is not your typical erf game, but has some similar elements (indeed its a mix between TW and erf, aiming to simplify some things).

I'm looking for 4 or so players to test this idea.

Creation:
Spoiler: show
I need the name of your nation, as well as any vital information. Please also assign 20 points among these four nation stats:
Espionage:
Military:
Magic:
Economy:

I also need a name for your nation's ruler/your avatar in the game. Characters will gain traits that modify things about the nation or the troops they command. You will also have 500 points to spend on units (see below).

Units:
Units are groups of military men and women, or even monsters, used to fight battles. A Unit has the following stats:

Health: How much damage the unit can take before becoming unable to fight. (Minimum 10, maximum 100)

Physical Attack: Physical damage the unit can do (minimum 5 maximum 100)

Physical Defense: Physical damage the unit can shrug off (minimum 0 maximum 100)

Magic Attack: Magic damage the unit can do. (minimum 0 maximum 100)

Magic Defense: Defenses against magic (minimum 0 maximum 100)

Movement: Number of hexes the unit can move per turn (max 3 for walkers, 6 for mounted)

Range: number of hexes distant the unit can accurately attack. A unit may attack adjacent units for free, but the ability to attack distant units costs points. Cost is equal to (range-1)*25. This effects both magical and phyiscal attacks.

Cost of a unit is equal to the sum of all its stats + its range cost

Campaign:
The campaign will take place on a map of hexes, each side controlling a city and many surrounding hexes. Each hex produces points, as do cities, for the creation of new units. Points can also be invested in improving nation stats. Players can perform any actions they can think of, and will be moderated by the DM. The goal of the game is to be the last player left standing.

Characters:
Characters are special units that are used to perform actions. There are several types. Commanders lead soldiers, have their own bodyguard unit and provide bonuses in combat. Spies perform espionage activities. Diplomats improve results of diplomatic actions. More characters may be available as the game progresses.

Combat Formula
This is still largely a work in progress, but I'm thinking it will be a d6 roll + attacking stat (magic, ranged, or physical) vs d6+ relevant defensive stat (physical or magic). Damage dealt is the difference between the attack and defense roll. I might add in something like a six always hits, or a six always successfully defends (and in the 1 in 36 chance that both are sixes, the thing is re rolled).

Units do not loose effectiveness as they loose health. This is for simplicity, and might be changed in the future...perhaps to a simple penalty as they loose health.

Questions?
Last edited by tigerusthegreat on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prehendo Victoria - My first erfworld story. Comment thread

Last Updated 6/25/2014

Imperial Destiny (My Science Fiction Story) Updated 6/24/2014 (First Page)
Party Raid, a TCG Development Journal Updated 6/24/14
tigerusthegreat

Re: The Battle for Hex World (TW inspired War Game) *recruit

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:07 pm

I might be interested - do you know how big the map will be and what it will look like?

Also, what do the espionage / diplomatic systems do?
WaterMonkey314

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:13 pm

High diplomacy will cause bad things in nations that refuse your reasonable requests. Espionage covers all sorts of spy stuff...info gathering, force concentration, assasination...

To capture a hexfrom an enemy you have to march an army there, and fight any defensive forces. If there are no troops there, you might have to fight armed militia.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:02 am

Questions:

1) the list of stats appears incomplete. It lacks Ranged Damage, Magical Defense, Ranged Defense.
2) What do nation stats do? The rules seem to just be about a simple "build units, croak the other guys' units" type game a-la TBf<> (which is mighty fine) but then there's this nation building stuff tacked on top.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby tigerusthegreat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 am

The unit stats got copied wrong from my word document (and thus, from the giant post that I copied this from), but are fixed now, and include a range option.

Nation stats will impact everything in small ways. A high military stat will provide a universal bonus to your troops, better espionage gives you better results for spy missions, better magic buffs magic units, better economy gives you more points per turn. I want all the stats to be roughly equal, and am running the math to figure out what a good balance is, hence no hard stats on them yet.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Postby Happerry » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:07 am

Hum. This looks interesting, and for once I'm not a day to late to apply.

Grand Bowlie
Espionage: 3
Military: 5
Magic: 6
Economy: 6

I'll wait on units to see if we get any special ability charts, like flying or transports and such.
Happerry

Postby The Colonel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Tigerus! I'm Captain Obvious over at GITP. And I want in

Tribes Of Antus
The tribes are a group of plains dwelling, well tribes. A few years ago poor hunting forcing them to build a city and begin simple farming.

Espionage: 3
Military: 5
Magic: 6
Economy: 6
Units
Shaman
[SPOILER] Health:10
Phy Atk:05
Phy Def:00
Mag Atk:35
Mag Def:35
Movement:03
Range:04

Raider
Health:25
Phy Atk:05
Phy Def:10
Mag Atk:30
Mag Def:10
Movement:06
Range:01

Tribal Guard
Health:30
Phy Atk:20
Phy Def:20
Mag Atk:00
Mag Def:10
Movement:03

Conscripts
Health:10
Phy Atk:10
Phy Def:05
Mag Atk:00
Mag Def:00
Movement:04

Cost 29
[/SPOILER]
1 Shaman Circle
3 Tribal Guard Columns
1 Raider Squads
Leftover: 8 pts

Ruler
Khalad Paln (Yes I made it up on the spot)
A shrewd politician who climbed his way to the rank of ruler of all the tribes through blackmail and elimination of his political foes. Thanks to his policies this group has an advancing economy with many accepting this new life and abandoning the old tribal ways thanks to this new prosperity. What was once the great hordes is now a small border guard having been downsized ever since Khalad Paln came to power.

Characters
Captain Of the Guard Kraig Busie
A careful man Kraig uses tactics of slow depletion of the enemies resources (his units trade speed for power)

Commander Luigi Breeman
Commander of an ever-shrinking invasion force his tactics emphasize speed over defense(His units trade defensive capabilities for speed)

Units Owned

Land
Plains stretching from the east to the west of the capital as far as the eye can see. The city is located at the foot of a mountain south of it. The plains closer to the city has been converted to farmland already.

This is still legal right?
The Colonel

Postby tigerusthegreat » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Sorry, colonel but this game never got off the ground and will not be played in its current form. Working on something else, though, so keep an eye out for it.

Last Updated 6/25/2014

tigerusthegreat

Return to Your Games