New Erf Rules Overhaul

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: New Erf Rules Overhaul

Postby Twoy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Contracts:
An agreement between sides or commanders that contains terms each side must follow. Terms of a contract appear extremely difficult, or impossible to disobey. Only Rulers and Chief Warlords may sign contracts that bind their entire side. Independent Casters and Natural Ally Commanders may sign contracts that bind themselves and the units they control.
Twoy

Postby Twoy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:10 pm

To Do List:
1. Contracts. (done)
2. Loyalty system. (done)
3. Sacking a city. (done)
4. Razing a city. (done)
5. Turn order. (done)
6. Natural allies. (done)
7. Wild Units (done)
8. More clarification on combat rules (done)
9. Fix Castle Walls rules (done)
Last edited by Twoy on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Twoy

Postby Twoy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Here is the rule:
Loyalty:
Loyalty is measured on a normal scale of 100 to -100, though some spells, effects or attributes may cause a unit’s loyalty to exceed 100. A unit’s loyalty may not be reduced below -100. All units are popped with a Loyalty of 100. Casters or Natural Allies who join a side by contract normally begin the relationship with a Loyalty score of 50. Units created by casters and units popped by Natural Allies owe their loyalty to the Caster/Natural Ally Warlord. Chief Warlords get a bonus of +50 Loyalty, but lose 75 Loyalty if they are demoted. Heirs receive a bonus of +25 Loyalty. Spells can modify Loyalty as can the actions of others. Units with Loyalty below 0 will turn if they are given the opportunity. Units with a Loyalty of -100 will turn even if it causes them to disband.

Additional info not in the rules:
All units are subject to Natural Thinkamancies: Obedience, Loyalty, and Duty.
Loyalty is an unknowable unit stat, affecting how likely a unit is to defect or double-deal when possible.
Obedience means that units are compelled to obey orders. However, depending on the unit's relative Loyalty or intelligence, they may voice their disagreement or outright disobey the orders if they believe the order goes against higher orders or their Ruler's interests. Disobedience may cause the unit to disband, but a clever and resourceful unit can accomplish many things while staying just on the safe side of obedience.
Duty affects Commanders only, which means it affects Warlords, Casters, and possibly Chiefs of Natural Allies. It has a higher effect on Warlords, highest on Chief Warlord. It makes them want to use their own initiative in the service of the Ruler. It also makes them reluctant to withhold information, unless they are convinced that it is in their Ruler's best interests for them to do so. Duty can backfire when an Unit truly believes their Ruler is too incompetent to make decisions, and decides to overrule them.
Twoy

Postby Twoy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Changed the chance of a ruin from 1 in 6 to 1 in 36.

I started laying down ruins on the world I am creating and there were ruins everywhere. Even at 1 in 36, in the first 30 hexes I rolled 3 ruins.

Edit: The game map is 4,800 hexes. That works out to an average of 133 ruins. I think that is enough... perhaps more than enough.
Twoy

Postby Twoy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Turn Order

1. Units heal.
2. Units ordered to pop from previous turns pop.
3. Treasury.
a. + Income from all sources added to treasuries.
b. Treasury
c. - Upkeep paid.
d. Final Treasury
4. New Pop/Build Orders.
5. Unit moves.
6. Combat.
7. Reinforce.
8. Pop/Build Orders in progress.
9. List of injured units.
10. End turn.

Sample Order:
Spoiler: show
1. Units Heal.
2.Emerald City Pop: .
Quadling City Pop: .
Gillikin City Pop: .
Winkie City Pop: WC Farm A.
Munchkin City Pop: 2 x Munchkin; Upgrade to Level 2 (4,000 Schmuckers).
Ev City: Pop Ev City; Upgrade to Level 2.

3. Treasury: 10,987
a. + Income from all sources added to treasuries. +10,000
b. 20,987
c. - Upkeep paid. -1,987
d. Final Treasury: 19,000

4. New Pop/Build Orders.
5. Unit moves.
6. Combat.
7. Reinforce.
4-7 are all mixed together here as the orders are listed in chronological order as much as possible.
King Oz:
Scouts Out (Winged Monkey #5-8, 6 Hexes);
King Oz move 2SW, 1NW;
Order Tin-men #1-10 and Mechanical Horse #3-12 stack with King Oz;
King Oz move 2NW;
Order Munchkin City Upgrade to Level 2;
Order Tin-men #1-10 and MH #3-12 unstack with King Oz;
Order Tin-men #1-10 and MH #3-12 move 3SE, 3S.
King Oz move 3SE, 1S;
Order MH #1 return to EC next Turn;
King Oz dismount and unstack MH #1.
King Oz move 3S; (He should now be in Emerald City)
King Oz order bicaster link cast Hurry Production Emerald City 9 rounds (Cost 3,150 Schmuckers);
King Oz order bicaster link cast Scout Link on WM #1.
King Oz order bicaster link cast Transfer Funds 7,500 Schmuckers from Emerald City to Ev City as soon as it pops.
King Oz order WM #1 Explore unexplored areas (See attached graphic);
King Oz Order MH #16 move to Munchkin City;
Scouts Out around Emerald City (WM #2-4, 5 Hexes);
King Oz mount Witch #1 named Glinda;
King Oz move 3SE, 3S;
King Oz order Create Ev City Level 1;
King Oz order upgrade Ev City Level 2;
King Oz move 3N, 3NW.

Bi-caster Link: Cast Hurry Production Emerald City 9 rounds (40 Juice, 3,150 Schmuckers); Cast Scout Link on WM #1 (5 Juice); Cast Transfer Funds 7,500 Schmuckers from Emerald City to Ev City as soon as it pops (5 Juice).

Explorer Scout WM #1: Explore.
I can't see the image, so I'll have him cover unexplored terrain. He's doing a fine job.

8. Pop/Build Orders in progress.
Emerald City: Pop Witch Round 1.
Quadling City: Pop Warlord on Turn 42.
Gillikin City: Pop Warlord on Turn 44.
Winkie City: Pop Warlord on Turn 47.
Munchkin City: Pop Warlord on Turn 51.
Ev City: Pop 4 x Munchkin Round 1. Since I immediately upgraded this city to Level 2, it should be able to pop 4 x piker class infantry/turn.

9. List of injured units: None.
10. End Turn
Last edited by Twoy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Twoy

Postby Twoy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:49 am

Natural Allies(Working)
Natural allies (or non-capital sides) are sides in Erfworld that have no capital, no cities, and no royals of their own. They can form long semi-permanent alliances, or they can sustain themselves via mining, farming, hunting, and such. Natural Ally units do not pop randomly as do Wild Units. Each of the types of known Natural Allies will have 1-3 stacks each led by a chief somewhere on the map. Natural Allies that make a semi-permanent alliance with a Side may have more than one stack for each chief. In order for a Side to gain a Natural ally, the side must sign a contract ofering to pay the side's upkeep and usually some additional shmuckers for the Chief to add to his treasury.

A chief unit is exactly the same as the other units that popped in his or her stack, except the Chief has the Leadership (minus) Special. Leadership (minus) only applies to Natural Allies of his side. Chiefs pay the full cost for Leadership (minus) when raising levels, i.e. upkeep increase by 50 Shmuckers/level.

Upkeep for Natural Allies is double normal upkeep. Cost to pop a Natural Ally unit is equal to its upkeep cost. A Natural Ally Chief can pop one full stack of units each turn. If a chief pops a full stack, the stack may include a new Chief Unit.

Known natural allies:
1. Hobgobwins
Guard: Special A: (9/6/4/10) (Upkeep 60) Guards are popped as garrison units, meaning that they start with no move, they can be upgraded to field units for 50 Shmuckers. This raises their upkeep to 80. A Hobgobwin Guard may be upgraded to a Knight for 100 Shmuckers or 150 Shmuckers if the Guard is a garrison unit.
Knight: Knight-Class Infantry: (10/8/8/10/rider, dance-fighting) (Upkeep 180). A knight may be upgraded to Heavy for 50 Shmuckers. (18/8/8/10/heavy, dance-fighting) (Upkeep 200)

2. Gobwins
Gobwin Stabber: (5/5/1/10, tunnel-fighting) (Upkeep 80)
Gobwin Spearman: (4/4/4/8/garrison, tunnel-fighting) (Upkeep 60) Gobwin Spearmen are popped as garrison units, meaning that they start with no move, they can be upgraded to field units for 50 Shmuckers. This raises their upkeep to 80.
Gobwin Archer: Archer - (5/7/2/8/garrison, ranged) (Upkeep 60) Archers are popped as garrison units but can be upgraded for 50 Shmuckers, raising their upkeep to 80. Their prime advantage is being able to hit stacks without engaging them, doing first strike damage against non-ranged units and being able to target flyers.

3. Witches
Sand Witches: Special C - (14/3/3/32, Desert-capable, Heavy, Mount, Fast, Flight) (160) Sand Witches prefer living in the desert, but can be found inhabiting any terrain on Erf. Sand Witches and Man Witches are almost always found in pairs with the Man Witch riding on the back of the Sand Witch's broom.
Man Witches: Knight-Class Infantry - (10/4/4/10/rider)(180) Man Witches do not have a Heavy Knight-Class Infantry. Man Witches pop a random simple mancy at level 1

4. Daemons
Imp: Scout - (3/2/2/18/flight, scout) (60) Imps have a high move and the the “scout” special which give them very limited thinkamancy. (Units with the scout special can relay information to a ruler, a warlord or a Chief. In absence of a thinkamancer this has a max range of 8. An Imp can be promoted to Pit Fiend for 140 Shmuckers.
Pit Fiend - Knight-Class Infantry - (18/6/6/10/heavy, fly, Simple Foolamancy) (200) Pit Fiends do not have a rider variation.

5. Western Giants
Mountain Giants: Special A (14/4/3/10, Heavy, Mountain-Capable) (80)
Forest Giants: Special B (14/4/3/10, Heavy, Forest-Capable) (80)
Storm Giants: Special C (14/5/5/16, Heavy, Frightening, Flying) (160)

6. Marbits
Marbit Axeman: Stabber-Class Infantry - (5/4/2/10, Tunnel-Fighting) (Upkeep 80)
Marbit Archer: Archer - (5/7/2/8/garrison, ranged) (Upkeep 60) Marbit Archers are popped as garrison units but can be upgraded for 50 Shmuckers, raising their upkeep to 80.
Marbit Engineer: Special A - (6/3/3/10, Builder, Surveyor, tunnel-Fighting ) (80)

7. Elf Brands
Woodsy Elves: Archer - (5/7/0/8/garrison, ranged, forest-capable) (Upkeep 80) Archers are popped as garrison units but can be upgraded for 50 Shmuckers, raising their upkeep to 100.
Shady Elves: Archer - (5/9/0/8/garrison, ranged) (Upkeep 60) Archers are popped as garrison units but can be upgraded for 50 Shmuckers, raising their upkeep to 80.
Luckless Elves: Special A - (6/6/6/10) (Upkeep 80)
Eager Elves: Stabber - (5/7/1/10) (Upkeep 60)
Schlemiel Elves: Piker - (7/4/5/8/garrison) (40) Schlemiel Elves are popped as garrison units, meaning that they start with no move, they can be upgraded to field units for 50 Shmuckers. This raises their upkeep to 60.
Altruist Elves: Knight-Class Infantry - (10/7/7/10/rider, Limited Healomancy) Altruist Elves do not have a Heavy Knight-Class Infantry. Although Altruist Elves have the rider special, they do not have the capability to pop a mount unit.
Lofty Elves: Knight-Class Infantry - (10/7/7/10/rider, Limited Healomancy) Lofty Elves do not have a Heavy Knight-Class Infantry. Although Lofty Elves have the rider special, they do not have the capability to pop a mount unit.
Superfluous Elves: Stabber - (5/7/1/10) (Upkeep 60)
Tardy Elves: Special A - (6/4/3/4, Fabricator, Siege) (80) Tardy Elves can be very useful under certain circumstances, but in a long campaign it's usuall y not worth the time to wait for them.

Elves and Marbits will not ally with a side that has Gobwin, Hobgobwin, Witch, or Daemon allies.
Last edited by Twoy on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Twoy

Postby Kaed » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:13 am

Twoy wrote:Wild Unit stacks that pop without a chief will cwoak at the end of the next turn. Wild unit stacks with a Chief have a 33% to cwoak each turn, a 33% chance to stay the same number and a 33% chance to double in quantity.

You know, you don't actually have to replace every 'r' with a 'w', mate. People still say 'croak' and 'crap' and 'tree' rather than twee cwoak and cwap.

And I suggest you clarify things a little bit there. Dwagons, for instance, don't have a chief, ever, and I doubt they pop in groups higher than 3 (Stanley mentioned finding 3 dwagons in a hex once, and that was a very rare occurance). Does that mean that dwagons will always only last 1 turn?

I suggest working on a d% system to determine what sort of creature pops, if any, with things like hobgobwins and elves being more common than dwagons. And then determine with another d% what kind of elf or dwagon it is, if they have varieties (I expect some elves are more native to certain hex types than others. Woodsy elves would fit well in forests, but maybe Eager elves are more for Plains, for intance), and another to determine the amount. In general, I'm sure stuff like the hobwobin example could be a simple d8, but with dwagons, maybe 70% of the time it's 1 dwagon, 25% of the time 2, 5% of the time 3. Just an example. I can work on a table like this if you wish :)
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Twoy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:32 am

For some unknown reason, I always think that croaked, uncroaked and croakamancer are spelled with a "w" even though they are not.

Good point. I think I need to divide Natural Allies and Wild Units into two separate sections.

As far as I know, Dwagons only pop one at a time. If that is true, then it follows that other Wild Units only pop one at a time.
Twoy

Postby Twoy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:32 am

Added a new Simple Special to help fix the problem with Gobwins being better at fighting in tunnels and Heavy units that can travel in tunnels.

Tunnel-Fighting - +2 Attack and +2 Defense while fighting in tunnels. Heavy units with Tunnel-Fighting may pass through tunnels.

I am also thinking of changing heavy to +8 hit points. At +6 hit points and a cost of 3, someone would have to be crazy to choose Heavy for enything other than fluff. OK. I changed it to +8.

Posted a Google Doc with updated rules.

After posting the update, I realized that Heavy needed to go back down to +6 Hits and moved it back to a simple special. I realized you cannot make a decent mount with a special A/B unit because Fast, Heavy and Mount combined cost 7 points. And without one of those three specials you basically do not have an effective mount.
Last edited by Twoy on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twoy

Postby Twoy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Wild Units
Wild Units pop with a probability of about 1 in 200 for any given hex each turn. Wild Units cannot become Natural Allies, but they can be captured in combat and turned using magic. Wild Units tend to croak within a couple of turns of popping because they are not able to acquire enough rations to keep themselves alive or they die in combat. (GMs may elect to only pop Wild Units when a Player-Side is searching for Wild Units either to turn or to level units.

Possible Wild Units
1. Dwagon: Special D - (15/10/10/40, Flight, Breath Weapon, Mount, Very Fast) (250) Types of Dwagons that exist in ErfWorld are Pink, Purple, Yellow, Red, Blue, Green and Brown Dwagons. The breath weapons of each type of Dwagon is determined by its color.
2. Megalogwiff: Special D - (31/8/8/32, Flying, Mount, Heavy, Gummy, Fast) (250)
3. Gwiffon: Special C - (14/4/4/32, Flying, Fast, Mount, Heavy) (80)
4. Wiener-Rammer: Special C - (14/5/3/16, Mount, Siege, Fast, Heavy) (80)
5. Sourmander: Special D - (23/12/13/16, Mount, Acid Breath, Heavy, Tunnel-Fighting) (250)
6. Spidew: Special C - (14/7/3/16, Mount, Toxin, Heavy, Tunnel-Fighting) (80)
7. Orly: Scout - (3/2/2/18/flight, scout) (30)
8. Gump: Special C - (14/11/3/16, Forest-Capable, Heavy) (80)
9. Doombat: Scout - (3/2/2/18/flight, scout) (30)
10. Thunderbirds: Special A - (6/5/3/10, Flying, Ranged) (40)
11. Firebirds: Special C - (6/7/6/16, Flying, Frightening) (80)
Twoy

Postby Twoy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:51 am

Here are the final rules for my overhaul. There are a few areas that still need to be discussed/tested. Those areas are highlighted in red in the attached rules.
Addtional Explanation of Combat:
Assassination: Stacks with a leader may specifically target a specific unit in the back of a stack. The targeted unit gains the full defense of its stack. The targeting unit divides the damage result by four to determine the actual damage taken by the targeted unit.

Mixed Stacks: A stack comprised of ranged and melee units may attack with first the ranged attack followed by the melee attacks. Damage from ranged and melee are calculated separately; however, both types of attacks receive the full stack bonus and any leadership bonus.

New Erf rules version 0.34.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6CKjN ... NkMGRjZDY2

Edit: I came up with another half dozen changes over the weekend. Will post them today or tomorrow.

The rules I'm changing are:
1. Delete Motherlode rule (So the GM does not have to keep track of dozens of mines.)
2. Delete rule about Lumbermills running out of wood in 10 turns and converting the forest to plain.
3. Flying units get no terrain defense bonus except in High Mountains.
4. Removed castle defense stat and max units on walls.
5. Described how air defenses function.
6. Added that the Hadoken spells can be used as either ranged or melee.
Twoy

Postby paroikos » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:21 pm

I love most of the changes. Going to run a game with a few of my friends soon to see how we like it.

I do have one question. Dollamancers can fabricate items that give specials for a high amount of juice, but can they spread out those fabrications over several turns like normal magic items? I'm assuming so.

Also the rules on who can have what specials contradict themselves. I'm going with what it says in the unit descriptions, but in the specials section it is more generous.

EDIT: Another question:

Does each side have two seperate Scout and Knight units? One with each of the specials? Or do you choose when you're making your side one or the other?

And based on your sample turn(very helpful) cities can pop one type of unit per turn, correct? So if you're working on a warlord you can't be poping Pikers in the same city, is that right?

MOAR EDITS: Any ideas on pricing to buy scrolls from casters in the Magic Kingdom?
paroikos

Postby Twoy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:00 am

Q: Dollamancers can fabricate items that give specials for a high amount of juice, but can they spread out those fabrications over several turns like normal magic items? I'm assuming so.
A: Yes. Over several turns.

Q: Also the rules on who can have what specials contradict themselves. I'm going with what it says in the unit descriptions, but in the specials section it is more generous.
A: Not sure what you mean, but only have a few minutes before work right now.

Q: Does each side have two seperate Scout and Knight units? One with each of the specials? Or do you choose when you're making your side one or the other?
A: One or the other. Not both.

Q: And based on your sample turn(very helpful) cities can pop one type of unit per turn, correct? So if you're working on a warlord you can't be poping Pikers in the same city, is that right?
A: Only one type of unit may be "worked on" in a city. For example, a Level 5 city could pop 12 pikers in 1 turn, but then could pop nothing else for the next four turns as they were working on popping a warlord.

Q: Any ideas on pricing to buy scrolls from casters in the Magic Kingdom?
A: There is not a stock of scrolls or magic items available in the Magic Kingdom. If you want to buy a scroll or Magic item, you need to contract for the caster to come to you and create the item/scroll. See Hiring a Caster on page 21.

Good luck on your game. Let me know how it goes.
Twoy

Postby paroikos » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:10 pm

I've got 4 players lined up and we've started working on sides, so it should start before too long.

Another question, and this one may be up for suggestions from anyone.

Predictamancer Revelations from their Pool of Fate. Any ideas for a GM on how to handle those should they come up?

Should a Predictamancer enter the game I was planning on asking each player to give me overall plans for their next few turns at the end of each of their turns. If anything seems important regarding the side with the Predictamancer I would have a chance every turn of it being revealed in a Revelation based on the amount of juice in the Pool of Fate. And speaking of which, does the juice remain in the Pool of Fate increasing every turn?

Thanks for all the answers.
paroikos

Postby Twoy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Probably the most difficult to GM.

I would give them information that is of value, such as, Narnian dirtamancer will cast Yes We Can sometime within the next few turns to increase the size of the Narnia Capital to level 5. That way the "player" knows that 1(There exists a possible enemy named Narnia, 2) Narnia has a Dirtamancer, 3) Narnia probably has a level 4 capital. If Narnia does not actually do what you said they would od, then it is the fault of fate. Narnia could have done it.

It's realy okay to share some valuable "real-time" information about the player's enemies but couched in terms that allude to future events.

After the Revelation is given the Pool of Fate juice dissipates.
Twoy

Postby Silvan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Hey found these rules to be very interesting. I have a couple questions though.

Do units with the simplemancy special have independent leadership like casters? Similar to Archons or do they need to spend points to get leadership by itself.

For spells such as Hadoken and other similar spells, do they deal the stated damage or the stated damage plus the casters attack.

What is the warlord patrol bonus? It is mentioned in the Moneymancy section but nowhere else.

For the stacking bonus, does the bonus get added to each unit? Or to the total stack's attack/defense.

Also I believe there is a typo in the level up section. It states that the unit gains 1 HP 1 Attack and 1 Damage. I think damage is supposed to be defense but I may be wrong.

Also as a random question, what do you think a trimancer link with a dittomancer/thinkamancer/turnamancer could reduce the entire side's production. I think at least 2/3rds.
Silvan

Postby Harry1991 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:23 am

I'm nothing to do with new erf development but I would say that link would double a sides turn, bearing in mind that the links we've seen so far could all be described as game breaking after all.

Personally I want to know what a three thinkamancer link could do... Maybe change the orders of enemy stacks entirely or perhaps give a warlord like level of command to all unled stacks in the side.
Harry1991

Postby Silvan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:15 pm

That would actually be a hilarious trimancer link. It really isn't any worse than ending a turn early. It would need enough juice to use that it isn't usable every turn though.

A trimancer link of only thinkamancers? I would think that would make those units essentially the arkendish. No need juice for thinkagrams able to hack thinkagrams unlimited range. Maybe some really high powered suggestions like telling a different side's ruler what to produce for the next couple turns.
Silvan

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Before handling more esoteric suggestions, like what other critters to invent, how about we discuss some basic things (arguments hidden in spoiler tags):

1. "Pop an heir" is a useless action
It takes 60 turns. In the context of these games having a turn-over rate of about twice per week (for good weeks), this makes popping an heir take half a year in real time.

Meanwhile, it is possible to promote a unit to heir for a very low sum of money. Where "very low" means "less than what the city would produce in income during 60 turns". Since upgrading units is almost the only thing Schmuckers purchase, and popping heirs would block a city's production for 60 friggin' turns, I feel confident that NOBODY will pop an heir, EVER, and choose to promote a unit instead.

This makes this action useless.

2. Several Shockamancy spells are useless (to Shockamancers)
Several Shocka spells have descriptions like "treat as Variant of Hadouken, but with more cost". So let's see: same effects as a spell that ALL casters have anyway, at twice the cost? Bollocks.

This was probably put in so that Basic Shocka units (Knights, D-class) don't get too powerful. Fair enough, but one shouldn't nerf Shockas in the process.

3. Popping a Warlord is nigh-useless
The only reason to pop a Warlord is trying to get a caster. Otherwise, warlords take long to pop, are usually a worse kind of unit that what anyone can design as Knight class, and again promotion is better than halting production.

This hurts the game a lot for another reason: warlords are essential for almost anything that involves side development. Moving funds, exploring ruins, establishing cities and resource points ...

4. Resource points are nigh-useless
In the early game, particularly for a slow start (only the Chief and maybe one L1 city), they are indeed essential.

Otherwise though, once you get a few economic powerhouses, aka high-level cities, it really is waaaay too boring to have your chiefs spend months out in the field, just to establish mines that deliver a mere fraction of what the cities deliver.

5. The game is too damn slow!

And I won't spoiler hide this one. It takes 5 turns or whatever to pop a mine. It takes 8 turns or whatever to pop a warlord. Do you think anyone will still be playing in month 3, which is when, due to slow turn-over rate, we'll get to have a second warlord?! Second warlord, yay. Now I have two people to send out for months at a time to build mines.

Be realistic. There's no way a human GM can manage a whole Erf sim in such a way to balance high turn-over rate, real-life commitments, and several players who have yet to post their orders. Think in these terms: two turns a week is the best you can hope for, so make it so that a lot can be done in two turns.

I've started playing two Erf-sims game, and watched a third. NONE survived to the point where players actually did something interesting like campaigns. I'm playing another Erf-sim, which I fear will go the same way. The speed issue must be fixed, pronto.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Harry1991 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:31 pm

ISSUES ALREADY RAISED

on issue 5) sorry i've played, admined and designed similar sorts of play by post war/strategy games and our turn rate was set at 1 turn every 2 days. We continued these games for months if not years in some cases. It just revolves around making the game simpler and transparent so everyone can take a hand in running the game without needed to go to an admin every 5 seconds.

for example in one game, based in Asimov's Foundation universe, our admin was only needed really for running battle calculations (though I did on occasion run them for him cause i had the battle calculator), covert activities -which i guess here would be scouting - and research project approval.

The primary issue i see in terms of this game is that you start with nothing, meaning that to build a side you need the admin updating the map every turn with new towns, mines etc and need to spend the first 50 or so turns building yourself into a playable faction.

It wouldn't be so bad if you were given say 1 level 4 city, 3 level 3s and 4 levels 2s at the start of the game as well as being allowed to spend resources on a starting army.

On issues 1) and 3). The way to handle this IMO is to slash turn numbers dramatically. Say 10 turns for an heir, 5 for a warlord, 4 for a class D special, 3 for class C and 2 for class A/B and knights while stabbers,pikers, archers and scouts take 1 turn each. Having a level 5 city would then make it so an heir took 2 turns, a warlord took 1 turn and stabbers could be made at a rate of 5 per turn.

I know it isn't canon to the comics but for game play purposes it makes it a lot better.

finally i'm gonna address 4) (since i have no opinion on issue 2). Rather then having warlords build improvements why not list them as being part of the city and assign a schmuckers cost? example: Slaughter House (500 Schmuckers) - reduces the upkeep of all garrison units but 10%. Effect is boosted to 20% if the city/side has access to plains or grassland. Warlord bonus of 5%.

In the example the maximum bonus would be a 25% reduction but only if you devote time and effort to warlords for your side and conquering cities in strategic locations.

MY OWN ISSUES

the biggest issue i see with the game system is a lack of thought. Sorry if it offends but it looks like your sticking too closely to the comics, which means there are a lot of questions unanswered before you even begin, and we don't know if you can pop a city or if mathamacy works the way we think it does because it hasn't been explained yet in the comic.

Second issue is that warlord bonuses seem too small to me, if we take transilvito as an example there is no way we could take crap units and give them the equivalent attack score as knights using these rules where-as it seems entirely possible in erfworld.
Harry1991

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games