My own D&D game.

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: My own D&D game.

Postby Pax » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:06 pm

MuthSera wrote:It was a joke, more than anything else. The barbarian healer..... less so. But for this you win an internet cookie. ;D

^_^ I rather figured, but I like a challenge nonetheless. All I had to do was look up the Vow of Peace, and see that it allowed outright lethal attacks on nonliving targets, AND, nonlethal attacks on living targets ... and I was sure it could be made to work, both mechancially, and for RP.

MuthSera wrote:>:/ Beat me to it and sounded better doing it.
I just woke up. lulz.

Well, I've explained them a lot of times before. Including, for a PvP, PbP, gestalt "Arena" set at 15th level over on RPOL.net ... with an interesting setup; rather than "any book on my list, pick and choose as you like" ... I set up individual Factions, which were basically pre-selected, limited Book Lists based on certain themes, or Settings.

So, a character built for the Eberron faction would have access to the Eberron-specific books, as well as the Psionic book (Kalashtar, natch) and Lords of Madness (whcih specifically mentions Eberron). But not to Forgotten Realms books, nor things like Magic of Incarnum, BoED/BoVD (due to Eberron having an intentionally ambiguous Alignment scenario), and so on.

Meanwhile, the Forgotten Realms characters had access to THEIR pile-of-books, but not the Eberron stuff.

:)
Pax

Postby MuthSera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:13 pm

Spoiler: show
We have spoiler tags now? Sweet. When did those get there?

*thinks hard..*

o.o Okay Muth.. Serious or silly?

I need to meditate upon this. >.<
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
MuthSera

Postby MuthSera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Okay. I'm going to try and serious game.

I've only ever DM'ed for one person before.. I'm inexperienced as a DM, but I understand typical things to avoid. "Deux ex machina.." DMing to play god.. blah blah blah blah..

I have a storyline, and it may strike a few familiar chords... however it is not based on what you think it is.. it is instead based off of a role play I had with the previously mentioned one person I've DM'ed for.

I want 4 characters, and I want 4 players.

First picks, (If they want in the game they need to say so..) go to..
(other folk are welcome to mention their interest.. and should we not have 4, maybe asked if they still want to play. ^.^;)
Malekith
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah
Pax
Chrono
And LadyBhaal.

Yes, Yes, Yes. Thats 5. But if I get all 5 of previously mentioned people stating that they want to play, then my preferred 4 will become a preferred 5.

The storyline is not to be revealed, yet.
We MAY play with gestalt characters.. or we may not. Depending on everyone's stated opinion on the matter.
Characters are starting as their races, with no class levels. Their first class level will replace their humanoid HD, when they receive their first level.
This will be a role play oriented campaign.

Anyways. The core books are fair game. I have to glance at anything else. Just tell me the book, and tell me the abilities/feats/ect.. and a page number would be nice. ;)

Your characters will not have alignments. Period. Anything that targets a player that requires a particular alignment will fail. This is due to the storyline, which will be explained if/when we get started.

I need some feedback! Talk to me!
MuthSera

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Starting 0th level? No alignments? Gestalt classes? eeeenteresting...

I'm in.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby MuthSera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:Starting 0th level? No alignments? Gestalt classes? eeeenteresting...

I'm in.

Well.. 1st level.. then after that.. you're 1st level again. You're 1st level. Twice. Thats how hardcore you are.
MuthSera

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:34 pm

O.o

My mind boggles.

INFINITE 1ST LEVEL LOOP

speaking of which, has anyone played Shining Force, and if so, did you get Jogurt the Yogurt?
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby MuthSera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:47 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:O.o

My mind boggles.

INFINITE 1ST LEVEL LOOP

speaking of which, has anyone played Shining Force, and if so, did you get Jogurt the Yogurt?

Yes, Yes I did, and yes I did. BECAUSE HE'S YOGURT! And he's crazzzzzy!

Heh.. all the little yogurts running arround. <:3

Poor little guy only had 1 hp tho.
MuthSera

Postby Raigne » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:01 pm

I would like to play. Gestalt sounds interesting.
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Ranger/Wizard (2nd/1st Level)
Str-10 Dex-12 Con-11 Int-16 Wis-15 Cha-13

>It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Raigne

Postby Pax » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:09 pm

MuthSera wrote:This will be a role play oriented campaign.

Hmm, ominous words those, in my experience. Y'see, I'm more of an "action/adventure" sort of guy, with a strong dose of tactics and problem-solving thrown in. Since that probably indicates a playstyle clash, I'll do the right thing, and respectfully bow out.

No hard feelings, truly: I am a firm proponent of "there is no 'One True Way' o enjoy an RPG". This's simply a case where my way isn't a god fit with your way. Kind of like ... frappes. Specifically the black-and-white variety. Some people make it with chocolate icecream and vanilla syrup (I say: yum!), some people make it with vanilla icecream and chocolate syrup (I say: might as well have ordered a chocolate frappe).

I do wish everyone who plays (including MuthSera the intrepid GM) the best of fun, though! 8-)

EDIT TO ADD: and I am happily available for mechanics / rules-crunch related advice and assistance, should such ever become necessary. I have an ... extensive collection of sourcebooks for D&D 3.5E (as in, almost seventy books) from which to draw inspiration and/or reference material. All but a couple of those being WOTC products, too.
Pax

Postby MuthSera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:13 pm

Pax wrote:
MuthSera wrote:This will be a role play oriented campaign.

Hmm, ominous words those, in my experience. Y'see, I'm more of an "action/adventure" sort of guy, with a strong dose of tactics and problem-solving thrown in. Since that probably indicates a playstyle clash, I'll do the right thing, and respectfully bow out.

No hard feelings, truly: I am a firm proponent of "there is no 'One True Way' o enjoy an RPG". This's simply a case where my way isn't a god fit with your way. Kind of like ... frappes. Specifically the black-and-white variety. Some people make it with chocolate icecream and vanilla syrup (I say: yum!), some people make it with vanilla icecream and chocolate syrup (I say: might as well have ordered a chocolate frappe).

I do wish everyone who plays (including MuthSera the intrepid GM) the best of fun, though! 8-)

EDIT TO ADD: and I am happily available for mechanics / rules-crunch related advice and assistance, should such ever become necessary. I have an ... extensive collection of sourcebooks for D&D 3.5E (as in, almost seventy books) from which to draw inspiration and/or reference material. All but a couple of those being WOTC products, too.

D: <---- My face when I read this post.
MuthSera

Postby Pax » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Aw, don't get unhappy, Muth, that wasn't my intention.

It's just that I am a very "numbers and rules" sort of player. Between your apparent desire to go with a much more "story-driven" sort of game, and your being new at GMing ... best I cheer you and your players on from the sidelines, than we risk an unpleasantness due to incompatible playstyles.

It'd be like trying to plug an American TV into a European power outlet, without an adapter. Sure, you COULD whack it into place with a hammer... but neither the TV, nor the outlet, are going to be particularly happy with the results when you're done. :lol:
Pax

Postby MuthSera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:44 pm

OH YEAH ALMOST FORGOT!

Nobody need bother with an ultra creative back story. You won't need one, for the same reason you won't need an alignment.
MuthSera

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:51 pm

MuthSera wrote:
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:has anyone played Shining Force, and if so, did you get Jogurt the Yogurt?

It was SOOO frustrating for me, because my older brother played all games 1) first and 2) more, and so 3) found ALL the secrets first

there was ONE thing I ever found that he missed, and that was... Jogurt the mother-booping Yogurt.

I tried his ring, I tried promoting him - I even got him 100 xp by KILLING 2 or 3 guys who had only 1 hp left... and nothing happend, nothing EVER happened!

The only thing I never tried was beating the final boss with him in the party, and seeing if he had a special ending or something, but it was tough enough with a full group...
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby MuthSera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:
MuthSera wrote:
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:has anyone played Shining Force, and if so, did you get Jogurt the Yogurt?

It was SOOO frustrating for me, because my older brother played all games 1) first and 2) more, and so 3) found ALL the secrets first

there was ONE thing I ever found that he missed, and that was... Jogurt the mother-booping Yogurt.

I tried his ring, I tried promoting him - I even got him 100 xp by KILLING 2 or 3 guys who had only 1 hp left... and nothing happend, nothing EVER happened!

The only thing I never tried was beating the final boss with him in the party, and seeing if he had a special ending or something, but it was tough enough with a full group...

Does this story have a moral? Man I'm hungry.

insert delicious pizza.
MuthSera

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:59 pm

The moral is: Jogurt sucks, and I have bad luck with video games.

Also I want pizza.

And go back to the vending machine with your "insert"
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby MuthSera » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:03 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:And go back to the vending machine with your "insert"

Wait.. this isn't the vending machine thread? ....

Where did I insert that pizza, then?
MuthSera

Postby Pax » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:14 pm

MuthSera wrote:insert delicious pizza.

Receive pimply, unkempt teenager with rattletrap rolling trash-heap of a "Car" at your front door.

Insert ...

Oh, wait, wrong thread. :lol:
Pax

Postby MuthSera » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:04 am

Getting back on track.. we have the following people "in" so far.

Malekith (Hasn't responded, but almost certainly 100%.. since he's been asking me to. <:3)
Cmdr. I. Heartly Noah
Raigne (Personal friend I asked to join.)

And that's it! :O Need to wait until morning time for those others elusive devils to respond. :evil:
MuthSera

Postby Lothmar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:24 am

~Holds up hand~

If a spots available, I have a character I enjoy Rp'ing for low level/commoner level games.
Goblin Vagabond with delusions of grandeur from being a 'sorcerer'. Basically, he believes he's a red dragon due to misinterpretation of what lore he's heard about dragon blood and sorcerers. But he's still not sure about how to be a dragon, but he tries really hard; Ex: He never spends money on himself, saving anything he finds for his 'horde' (Usual examples, costume jewelry, coppers, silver, silverware, etc. ( things a goblin would mistake as actual 'treasure' )) and when he can accepting charity from others and recycling old equipment to use himself if needed (First time I played him, he wore a potato sack as a tunic for the first two sessions until he made himself a hat and paulders out of Rat leather, skulls and spinal cords). But if we're gestalting, I'd love to combine sorcerer and war mage, mainly because I only really want to take sorcerer for the draconic heritage feat tree (since it's sorcerer exclusive).
Lothmar

Postby MuthSera » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 am

Lothmar wrote:~Holds up hand~

If a spots available, I have a character I enjoy Rp'ing for low level/commoner level games.
Goblin Vagabond with delusions of grandeur from being a 'sorcerer'. Basically, he believes he's a red dragon due to misinterpretation of what lore he's heard about dragon blood and sorcerers. But he's still not sure about how to be a dragon, but he tries really hard; Ex: He never spends money on himself, saving anything he finds for his 'horde' (Usual examples, costume jewelry, coppers, silver, silverware, etc. ( things a goblin would mistake as actual 'treasure' )) and when he can accepting charity from others and recycling old equipment to use himself if needed (First time I played him, he wore a potato sack as a tunic for the first two sessions until he made himself a hat and paulders out of Rat leather, skulls and spinal cords). But if we're gestalting, I'd love to combine sorcerer and war mage, mainly because I only really want to take sorcerer for the draconic heritage feat tree (since it's sorcerer exclusive).

I like it. It's funny, and you could play a goblin if desired, and CERTAINLY play a sorcerer, as I once played an ultimate(from the ultimate classes, rather than actual ultimate magus.) magus and understand the fun of a small goblin throwing fireballs.

HOWEVER, that being said, the character's back-story/thesis does violate the setting grossly, and will therefor not be allowed as you described him. I can't tell you WHY it violates the setting, because that would give too much away from my first post. :3 However.. as previously mentioned, goblin is not something I'd keep you from playing if you wanted to.. sorcerer and war-mage are fine for my game.

We will watch for who else speaks up.. and then get started relatively soon-like. Since I like you, and Pax already bowed out, I'll also go to 5 for you. ;p So you're in.

Malekith
Cmdr. I Heartly Noah
Raigne
Lothmar
MuthSera

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games