Reactions to "A new life"

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby MuthSera » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:34 am

Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action.

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.

Edit: Oh. Beyond 5 feet is total concealment. Yeah. You cannot see them. ;p
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
MuthSera

Postby LadyBhaal » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:39 am

At least Raigne should be feeling better at the end of this. Damn my inability to cure warforged :( I'm tempted to go back and party after this, at least until something nasty turns up again.
LadyBhaal

Postby Lothmar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:43 am

Now, now, I was readying to charge last round regardless. However I cant do much about it if they've vanished. It just seems odd to me that noah can get up from prone, double move and still perform a touch spell with a standard action this round when the guy who was ready (who has five-10 feet less ground to cover) cant catch up when we both have the same base speed. I assume Noah's in the same boat as me and cant perform the actions he had listed because he simply doesnt know where the enemy is, etc and just ends up in the middle of nowhere surronded by fog. Or did he have track? Did anyone have track?

Well regardless, I put in a listing of actions I would perform if I couldn't reach/see them, so it's all good. ^^

~Edits post~ Thanks for clearing up confusion muth.
Lothmar

Postby MuthSera » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:28 am

And so begins the note passing.
MuthSera

Postby LadyBhaal » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:41 am

So you can inflict wounds upon a warforged, but not heal them? How does that ever make sense?

Is Raigne feeling better? I noticed you didn't refer to Raigne or I during that post.

Raigne, want to go after them and keep them alive?
LadyBhaal

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:53 am

I'm not real clear on what's happened.

Did one of them double back to attack me? Because my impression was they had a head start (also didnt realize I was charging off into thick fog) and if getting up slowed me further, I wasn't in any danger of catching them as far as I can tell.

How much damage have I suffered? What is my condition? Did I ever see them? Can that one guard go in my place, seeing as he is far more effective than I am?
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Lothmar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 am

First, XD You rock noah.

Second, did you get a pm like I did?
Lothmar

Postby MuthSera » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:11 am

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:I'm not real clear on what's happened.

Did one of them double back to attack me? Because my impression was they had a head start (also didnt realize I was charging off into thick fog) and if getting up slowed me further, I wasn't in any danger of catching them as far as I can tell.

How much damage have I suffered? What is my condition? Did I ever see them? Can that one guard go in my place, seeing as he is far more effective than I am?

They took a standard action, then a move action. You took a double move. I never said the fog was gone, and even made it clear that it was still there by making a reference to it 3 times during the post in which they were retreating.

You don't know what your condition is. Lothmar does, and it's up to him to save you.
MuthSera

Postby MuthSera » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:15 am

LadyBhaal wrote:So you can inflict wounds upon a warforged, but not heal them? How does that ever make sense?

Is Raigne feeling better? I noticed you didn't refer to Raigne or I during that post.

Raigne, want to go after them and keep them alive?

Oh yeah. Apoligies. I forgot to add that in the post. ^.^; She regained 8 HP.
MuthSera

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:46 am

MuthSera wrote:They took a standard action, then a move action. You took a double move. I never said the fog was gone, and even made it clear that it was still there by making a reference to it 3 times during the post in which they were retreating.

You don't know what your condition is. Lothmar does, and it's up to him to save you.

I did not take a double move. I took a move action and a standard action (I cast a spell).

I gave chase to the mages. How can I chase them if I can't see them?

If you needed more specifics in my post you should have asked for them.

Even if it happened as you said, isn't inflict moderate wounds a touch spell? What sort of defense did I get against him touching me? I assume that at the point he could see me in the fog, I could see him, unless they had a magic seeing spell.
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Raigne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:08 am

You'd see him, since the concealment doesn't work when you're five feet away (ETA: wait a minute... total concealment means the fog, doesn't it? so n/m I thought this was their magical concealment we were still talking about), and yeah inflict is a touch range spell, but the method of delivery isn't a touch attack. I don't know enough about mechanics to know if that negates the need for a roll to touch you, but you get a will save. I haven't read the post yet so I can't reply to anything else until I do. I need to stop reading the reactions thread first.

The only reason I am even bothering to point that stuff out is because this would be the second time someone's cast a spell they shouldn't have been able to in this encounter if the cleric's casting it from a distance.
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Ranger/Wizard (2nd/1st Level)
Str-10 Dex-12 Con-11 Int-16 Wis-15 Cha-13

>It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Raigne

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:35 pm

My impression is that the mage (cleric?) touched Noah, but I was wondering how this was possible with Noah lagging behind, following them into a fog where he couldn't locate them, and then the mage (who presumably could also not see Noah) either waited or doubled back to deliver the touch, and had to do this after not seeing Noah, then suddenly finding him and touching him with only as much notice as Noah had of seeing him. (Should there be a new initiative roll? Reflex check? I don't understand the mechanics well enough to know, it just seems that the playing field there would be level). I know my touch spell requires an attack. And if Lothmar followed me and had the speed to stay level with me, then perhaps the advancing mage would provoke an AOO? I don't know. It would depend on how Chrono and I were placed and we didn't place ourselves.

Another thing I didn't understand (and forgot about) was the "clank of metal on metal." Does the mage have a metal hand? Was one of them wearing gauntlets?
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Lothmar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:43 pm

Basically here's how I see it. They paralyzed chrono and hauled ass.
You got up and gave pursuite. Since you were attempting to get in range for a spell yourself and had to see them since touch of fatigue is a touch spell, I think it was assumed you double moved instead to catch up.

At the end of your move you popped into visual range. New turn comes along they heard you coming and one of them dropped you with the inflict since you were close.

That's how I percieved the situation. Though part of me believes if you'd known that you couldnt make it and cast a spell in a single turn you wouldnt have charged blindly into a fog thicker then your new metal skin. xD

Also the 'clank' may have been one of them hitting you with a metal weapon as well. I dont know, I didnt make it there till the end of that round so I didnt see it.
Lothmar

Postby chrono » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:36 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote: It would depend on how Chrono and I were placed and we didn't place ourselves.

While I don't think I get what happened in the fog, I'm pretty sure I'm still at C11 (which is where I wanted to go and Muth never said I didn't make it there).
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby MuthSera » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:My impression is that the mage (cleric?) touched Noah, but I was wondering how this was possible with Noah lagging behind, following them into a fog where he couldn't locate them, and then the mage (who presumably could also not see Noah) either waited or doubled back to deliver the touch, and had to do this after not seeing Noah, then suddenly finding him and touching him with only as much notice as Noah had of seeing him. (Should there be a new initiative roll? Reflex check? I don't understand the mechanics well enough to know, it just seems that the playing field there would be level). I know my touch spell requires an attack. And if Lothmar followed me and had the speed to stay level with me, then perhaps the advancing mage would provoke an AOO? I don't know. It would depend on how Chrono and I were placed and we didn't place ourselves.

Another thing I didn't understand (and forgot about) was the "clank of metal on metal." Does the mage have a metal hand? Was one of them wearing gauntlets?

First of all, you were knocked unconscious. Were inert, and prone. Whatever you were, for a war forged. Stunned, to boot. Besides which, you played dead. All of these, except being stunned, imply that you were on your back. Getting up is a move action all by it'self, and chasing after them is another. (Double move. No more actions for the round.) Everyone else was ready to finish off the skeletons and hold the fort. You immediately took chase after the mages. You had 3 HP left, for purposes of staying on your feet. I assumed that in order for Lothmar to react to you running into the fog, he'd have had to delay in order to do so. Same with Joshua.

As for not losing the mages, you were right behind them, whereas I can assume that Lothmar would've had to have a moment to react to you running into the fog, in order to chase you into it. Everyone here seems to have thought it was a trap. Chasing down an evil cleric with spells left is not so a hot idea when you're down to 3 HP. If he hadn't gotten you on the first try, somebody else very well could've, with only a staff swing.

As for the clank, that'd be the sound of your fists hitting your thigh, as they go from raised up to strike, to limp and at your sides.
MuthSera

Postby Raigne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:37 pm

I didn't think it was a trap. I hadn't read the post yet, and even after it it's not clear the spell was cast with a touch. Since sorcerers/wizards are somehow now able to read bard/cleric spell scrolls, I was wondering if you'd overlooked something else. Forgive me if my confidence in you slipped. I have no argument against someone charging off by himself getting his ass handed to him, don't worry about that. :P

Raigne

Postby MuthSera » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:40 pm

Raigne wrote:I was wondering if you'd overlooked something else.
Yes, actually, I had. But the only difference would be flavor. The exact same result, but it'd have looked different.
MuthSera

Postby Raigne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:44 pm

I have a request to make. Could we stop deleting stuff that took place but was a mistake and instead stick it in a spoiler until it can be amended, and can we please put in a spoiler exactly what's happening instead of just putting in a string of onomatopoeia?

I am confused as shit about what's going on right now, despite the fact that it's irrelevant to what my character's currently doing.

ETA: Okay so that was two requests, but still... please?

Raigne

Postby MuthSera » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Raigne wrote:I have a request to make. Could we stop deleting stuff that took place but was a mistake and instead stick it in a spoiler until it can be amended, and can we please put in a spoiler exactly what's happening instead of just putting in a string of onomatopoeia?

No.
It's called note passing.
You know what you can know. Otherwise, you do not.
This is going on in PM. have Onomatopoeia of what you can hear.

Turn to page 8, of the dungeon master's guide, for an example of what I'm doing. Only difference is that I won't ask you for spot checks. ;p

The important bit is at page 10, where lidda is struck by a greyish arm. The party doesn't know whats going on.
MuthSera

Postby Lothmar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:01 pm

And hopefully that should end me and our Npc party members little story arc. XD
~Drag~
Lothmar

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games