Reactions to "A new life"

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby MuthSera » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:02 pm

I need some dinner. Be back in a while.
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
MuthSera

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:13 pm

MuthSera wrote:First of all, you were knocked unconscious. Were inert, and prone. Whatever you were, for a war forged. Stunned, to boot. Besides which, you played dead. All of these, except being stunned, imply that you were on your back. Getting up is a move action all by it'self, and chasing after them is another. (Double move. No more actions for the round.) Everyone else was ready to finish off the skeletons and hold the fort. You immediately took chase after the mages. You had 3 HP left, for purposes of staying on your feet. I assumed that in order for Lothmar to react to you running into the fog, he'd have had to delay in order to do so. Same with Joshua.

As for not losing the mages, you were right behind them, whereas I can assume that Lothmar would've had to have a moment to react to you running into the fog, in order to chase you into it. Everyone here seems to have thought it was a trap. Chasing down an evil cleric with spells left is not so a hot idea when you're down to 3 HP. If he hadn't gotten you on the first try, somebody else very well could've, with only a staff swing.

As for the clank, that'd be the sound of your fists hitting your thigh, as they go from raised up to strike, to limp and at your sides.

Okay, so, 1) I didn't realize I was that badly off. I mean, at first I thought I was inert, but then we got magic'd up, and the direness of my situation was not clear to me. Also, I didn't realize that one of them was a cleric. But depending on how they looked & were armed, that could be an IC mistake. 2) What I wanted to do apparently took 2 move actions and 1 standard action. I didnt realize this was the case. Next time I try to use too many actions, tell me so I can decide what I want to do instead. There is zero point in chasing after my enemies if I can't attack or cast a spell when I reach them. However, if I could keep up with them and cast my spell, and then on the next turn cover the distance and attack, which is what my plan was, and from what I've heard should have been possible (assuming they didn't, y'know, lose me in the fog), then that would have made plenty of sense and might actually have worked (assuming they didn't trap me with some AOO). 3) Was Lothmar following me or giving chase on his own? 4) I knew it wasn't a brilliant idea when it was something that could work; forcing me to take actions that can't work doesn't help; but with all the added courage and greatness (and a little pissed-offedness), this was the in character thing to do. Not putting myself in a position where failure is the only option, just biting off more than I could chew (in reality I wanted to cast another spell before attacking, but I don't know if that's possible without cancelling the first spell - as you might guess, I don't generally play spellcasters) 5) Please understand I'm not complaining just to bitch, or because I think I got a particularly raw deal (I did know it was a dumb idea - my WIS is not very high you know) but because I was genuinely confused about what happened and why. Now that I know what went down, I'm not sure it should have happened that way, but eh, I'm gonna be fine, so w/e.

6) My hands hitting my thighs? So A) I was ready to fight him and B) I was KO'd but stayed on my feet?
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby MuthSera » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:
MuthSera wrote:First of all, you were knocked unconscious. Were inert, and prone. Whatever you were, for a war forged. Stunned, to boot. Besides which, you played dead. All of these, except being stunned, imply that you were on your back. Getting up is a move action all by it'self, and chasing after them is another. (Double move. No more actions for the round.) Everyone else was ready to finish off the skeletons and hold the fort. You immediately took chase after the mages. You had 3 HP left, for purposes of staying on your feet. I assumed that in order for Lothmar to react to you running into the fog, he'd have had to delay in order to do so. Same with Joshua.

As for not losing the mages, you were right behind them, whereas I can assume that Lothmar would've had to have a moment to react to you running into the fog, in order to chase you into it. Everyone here seems to have thought it was a trap. Chasing down an evil cleric with spells left is not so a hot idea when you're down to 3 HP. If he hadn't gotten you on the first try, somebody else very well could've, with only a staff swing.

As for the clank, that'd be the sound of your fists hitting your thigh, as they go from raised up to strike, to limp and at your sides.

Okay, so, 1) I didn't realize I was that badly off. I mean, at first I thought I was inert, but then we got magic'd up, and the direness of my situation was not clear to me. Also, I didn't realize that one of them was a cleric. But depending on how they looked & were armed, that could be an IC mistake. 2) What I wanted to do apparently took 2 move actions and 1 standard action. I didnt realize this was the case. Next time I try to use too many actions, tell me so I can decide what I want to do instead. There is zero point in chasing after my enemies if I can't attack or cast a spell when I reach them. However, if I could keep up with them and cast my spell, and then on the next turn cover the distance and attack, which is what my plan was, and from what I've heard should have been possible (assuming they didn't, y'know, lose me in the fog), then that would have made plenty of sense and might actually have worked (assuming they didn't trap me with some AOO). 3) Was Lothmar following me or giving chase on his own? 4) I knew it wasn't a brilliant idea when it was something that could work; forcing me to take actions that can't work doesn't help; but with all the added courage and greatness (and a little pissed-offedness), this was the in character thing to do. Not putting myself in a position where failure is the only option, just biting off more than I could chew (in reality I wanted to cast another spell before attacking, but I don't know if that's possible without cancelling the first spell - as you might guess, I don't generally play spellcasters) 5) Please understand I'm not complaining just to bitch, or because I think I got a particularly raw deal (I did know it was a dumb idea - my WIS is not very high you know) but because I was genuinely confused about what happened and why. Now that I know what went down, I'm not sure it should have happened that way, but eh, I'm gonna be fine, so w/e.

6) My hands hitting my thighs? So A) I was ready to fight him and B) I was KO'd but stayed on my feet?

We tried correcting you immediately after you did it. You responded to my post within 8 minutes, then logged when we were like.. ".. you can't do that. Also it's probably an ambush, lol."
MuthSera

Postby Raigne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Also, not knowing one was a cleric doesn't really matter as all three are at least two levels higher than us and could screw any one of us on their (eta: that is one of us vs three of them) own. Sound burst is bard/cleric and one of them cast it from memory rather than from a scroll, so that was a bit of a hint. AFAIK bards can't animate dead so that was another.
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Ranger/Wizard (2nd/1st Level)
Str-10 Dex-12 Con-11 Int-16 Wis-15 Cha-13

>It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Raigne

Postby LadyBhaal » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 pm

Why is Joshua asking for Mending? Did we decide that it can, against the SRD, heal warforged? I didn't take it specifically because we earlier clarified that it can't heal warforged. Time to investigate a corpse perhaps? Nobody else seems particularly in danger.
LadyBhaal

Postby Raigne » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:22 pm

I don't know if Muth posted it here. I tried to find it before and couldn't, but he put in a house rule where-in mending will heal a magical construct an amount proportional to the caster's rank in craft construct. You don't need to have the skill to do it, it just gets more effective if you have it.

ETA: Incidentally, I asked if you could repair it with just craft construct and some tools, and apparently that one didn't fly :|

Raigne

Postby MuthSera » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:11 am

Raigne wrote:I don't know if Muth posted it here. I tried to find it before and couldn't, but he put in a house rule where-in mending will heal a magical construct an amount proportional to the caster's rank in craft construct. You don't need to have the skill to do it, it just gets more effective if you have it.

ETA: Incidentally, I asked if you could repair it with just craft construct and some tools, and apparently that one didn't fly :|

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Craft_Construct

Also, lemme find the post.

Found it. It wasn't a post, it was in a PM to Noah.

Spoiler: show
Mending now has the following addendum for all players.
Roll a craft: Construct check. For every 4 points you make in that check, you heal target construct by one. Casting time is 5 minutes when used this way.
MuthSera

Postby Raigne » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:53 am

So, eventually I may be able to repair him (we can rebuild him... we can make him... wait, haven't we used this joke once already?), just not right now.

Raigne

Postby LadyBhaal » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:25 am

I don't have that either, as it wasn't publicly mentioned. Time to loot the corpse of the mage/cleric. If it is indeed a corpse.
LadyBhaal

Postby Raigne » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:05 am

I have a question. I don't have the read magic spell, so I wouldn't be able to see the arcane mark on chrono's forehead, but since I heard and may have seen it be cast, would I recognize the spell? Or any of the other casters in the party for that matter?

Raigne

Postby chrono » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:13 am

I'm not 100% sure, but it seemed to me that the mages said the names of their spells each time they cast them (it's a whole other issue if they actually have to say the correct name ;) ).
Anyway, if I remember correctly arcane mark can be cast so it is visible (so I might be walking around with a friggin ink stamp on my forehead). I hope the mage wasn't a total jackass (though the mark does wear off after a while).
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby LadyBhaal » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:21 am

I have detect, which is pointless here as it's visible and obviously magical, but I do not have read either. I could try SpellCraft on it, but that would most likely just let me know it's an Arcane Mark, which we know already.

As for the mages speaking all their spell names, who's got a Japanese dictionary so I can learn the Japanese names of all my spells, and not give them away?
LadyBhaal

Postby Lothmar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:00 am

chrono wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but it seemed to me that the mages said the names of their spells each time they cast them (it's a whole other issue if they actually have to say the correct name ;) ).
Anyway, if I remember correctly arcane mark can be cast so it is visible (so I might be walking around with a friggin ink stamp on my forehead). I hope the mage wasn't a total jackass (though the mark does wear off after a while).

Actually arcane mark is permanent. However there is a note that if cast on something living/animate that it will wear off in about a month due to wear. So, if no one absolutely has a magic solution... We peel of a layer of two of skin and then heal you with magic to regrow said skin.
Lothmar

Postby MuthSera » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:55 am

Joshua rolled to heal 2 hitpoints.

If he had fox's cunning on him, that'd be 3 hitpoints.. and that would put Noah directly on -10, when the song ends. -11, as it is.

..............????

.... Everyone aid other?

.... PROFIT?
MuthSera

Postby Lothmar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:22 pm

We need to substitute oil and grease for the main ingredients and have a wizard make a batch of Cure ~whatever~ potions exclusive for Noah. XD
Lothmar

Postby chrono » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Lothmar wrote:Actually arcane mark is permanent. However there is a note that if cast on something living/animate that it will wear off in about a month due to wear. So, if no one absolutely has a magic solution... We peel of a layer of two of skin and then heal you with magic to regrow said skin.

Whoah there, nobody said I want it off... Also I'm waiting for a reply IC :) (wait and see ;) )
(Also I meant it's not permanent and wears off on me, which is the only arcane mark rule I care about right now)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Raigne » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:41 pm

Well, if it's visible, I have decipher script and knowledge:arcane, so maybe I can tell what it says. IF it's visible. ALSO. The spell name was in blue text. I just assumed that was whatever the incantation for their spell was. You really should have no idea what was cast on you without a spellcraft roll, which is why I asked if I was close enough to hear the spell being cast.

Raigne

Postby chrono » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Raigne wrote:Well, if it's visible, I have decipher script and knowledge:arcane, so maybe I can tell what it says. IF it's visible. ALSO. The spell name was in blue text. I just assumed that was whatever the incantation for their spell was. You really should have no idea what was cast on you without a spellcraft roll, which is why I asked if I was close enough to hear the spell being cast.

MuthSera wrote:*Visible mark on Chrono's forehead: FAIL.*

Also under a standard DnD setting one would normally not know the spell cast (like you said), but this is a weird setting and the mages are total jackasses so I can imagine them screaming their spell names. Also Muth is trying not to give us too much info that we wouldn't know IC - much like the bumping and clonking in the mist he'd probably say "A spell is cast" if we were supposed to have no idea what spell it is.
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

Postby Raigne » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:58 pm

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Chrono. You seem to have a little more faith in how well our esteemed GM has his shit together than I do. :P The fact that it's in a different color would indicate to me that it's either magical wording or a language I don't know. I am still not quite sure what the colors are for since green was originally for English, not common, and he seems to be changing shade for each speaker.

Raigne

Postby chrono » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:32 pm

Raigne wrote:I wouldn't be so sure about that, Chrono. You seem to have a little more faith in how well our esteemed GM has his shit together than I do. :P The fact that it's in a different color would indicate to me that it's either magical wording or a language I don't know. I am still not quite sure what the colors are for since green was originally for English, not common, and he seems to be changing shade for each speaker.

Well, in reality I did play it out IC as if I wasn't sure what spell it was. Like they say, I considered all the options and now I have no clue ;)
We'll just have to wait for Muth to come clear it up. I wonder when he'll get tired of us :P

Edit: come on guys, it's hard NOT to have seen the mages attack me and it's still harder not to notice a "FAIL" sign on the forehead of the person standing right next to you :)
Also I have to ask Muth what language it is in (English would just solidify a number of my suspicions).
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
chrono

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games