Reactions to "A new life"

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby Raigne » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:58 pm

...I thought that meant like... we failed to read it because it was invisible. Regardless, she's not paying attention to you. she's just trying not to look at the corpse.
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Ranger/Wizard (2nd/1st Level)
Str-10 Dex-12 Con-11 Int-16 Wis-15 Cha-13

>It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
User avatar
Raigne
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby MuthSera » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:22 pm

chrono wrote:
Raigne wrote:I wouldn't be so sure about that, Chrono. You seem to have a little more faith in how well our esteemed GM has his shit together than I do. :P The fact that it's in a different color would indicate to me that it's either magical wording or a language I don't know. I am still not quite sure what the colors are for since green was originally for English, not common, and he seems to be changing shade for each speaker.

Well, in reality I did play it out IC as if I wasn't sure what spell it was. Like they say, I considered all the options and now I have no clue ;)
We'll just have to wait for Muth to come clear it up. I wonder when he'll get tired of us :P

Edit: come on guys, it's hard NOT to have seen the mages attack me and it's still harder not to notice a "FAIL" sign on the forehead of the person standing right next to you :)
Also I have to ask Muth what language it is in (English would just solidify a number of my suspicions).


Yes, the text is in english, and it's also visible, to boot. Funny how that works. Yes, that's probably a very important thing.

As for spells being spoken out, I can always fix that problem. I guess an OOTS flavor is a terrible thing to add to a D&D game.

*belches, and eats a carnitas burrito.*

Yum.
Image
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
User avatar
MuthSera
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:02 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Raigne wrote:Also, not knowing one was a cleric doesn't really matter as all three are at least two levels higher than us and could screw any one of us on their (eta: that is one of us vs three of them) own. Sound burst is bard/cleric and one of them cast it from memory rather than from a scroll, so that was a bit of a hint. AFAIK bards can't animate dead so that was another.


Yeah, as noted elsewhere, this is all over my head. I identify clerics by: Is Wearing Armor, and Has a Big Mace
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby MuthSera » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Cmdr I. Heartly Noah wrote:
Raigne wrote:Also, not knowing one was a cleric doesn't really matter as all three are at least two levels higher than us and could screw any one of us on their (eta: that is one of us vs three of them) own. Sound burst is bard/cleric and one of them cast it from memory rather than from a scroll, so that was a bit of a hint. AFAIK bards can't animate dead so that was another.


Yeah, as noted elsewhere, this is all over my head. I identify clerics by: Is Wearing Armor, and Has a Big Mace


And not as controlling undead, and casting spells?
Also, does Lady mean Virtue?

Thats a waste of her spell: We really need another person to Aid. Virtue only lasts ONE MINUTE.
Image
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
User avatar
MuthSera
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:02 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:36 pm

Um, I thought Necromancers and Dread Necromancers controlled undead. And I thought 'mages' (sorcerers and wizards, etc) cast spells.

Clerics Cast Spells While Being Beefy and Wearing Armor.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby Raigne » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:46 pm

No, big part of cleric offensive power is the ability to animate dead. All kinds. Even more powerful when they take the death domain. Clerics have power over life and death. In D&D they are way more than an armored heal bot.

ETA: Sorcerers and Wizards can also control undead, but they get it at a different level than clerics do. Now that I am actually looking at the spell, animate dead's level 3 for a cleric, 4 as an arcane spell, and how many HD worth of skeletons were out there? :P
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Ranger/Wizard (2nd/1st Level)
Str-10 Dex-12 Con-11 Int-16 Wis-15 Cha-13

>It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
User avatar
Raigne
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby MuthSera » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:28 am

Raigne wrote:No, big part of cleric offensive power is the ability to animate dead. All kinds. Even more powerful when they take the death domain. Clerics have power over life and death. In D&D they are way more than an armored heal bot.

ETA: Sorcerers and Wizards can also control undead, but they get it at a different level than clerics do. Now that I am actually looking at the spell, animate dead's level 3 for a cleric, 4 as an arcane spell, and how many HD worth of skeletons were out there? :P


Who says they were controlled by the 3 mages, at all?
Image
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
User avatar
MuthSera
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:02 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby chrono » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:05 am

MuthSera wrote:Thats a waste of her spell: We really need another person to Aid. Virtue only lasts ONE MINUTE.


Come on Muth, that's not very fair. Some girls keep it for a bit longer...
Wait, what are we talking about here?
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
User avatar
chrono
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby LadyBhaal » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:49 am

Fine. I'll just go loot the corpse and go back to the party. I'm obviously useless here.
LadyBhaal
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:06 am

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby MuthSera » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:04 pm

LadyBhaal wrote:Fine. I'll just go loot the corpse and go back to the party. I'm obviously useless here.


Are you stupid, pretending, or in favor of Noah croaking 5 rounds after the angels stop singing?
What is everyone else in the party doing right now? Aiding Joshua in an attempt to heal Noah.
Luckily, everyone is intelligent, and beating 10 has been easy.

At this point I'm frustrated.
Frustrated as a DM because I don't have a deep depth of charts and resources that I can turn to easily... experiance.. ect.
I'm frustrated because all Lady does is bitch, pout and talk about her breasts. Although she'd gotten better about the last bit.
I'm frustrated because all Raigne does is nitpick, and express doubt in my competency as a DM. Sure. You got me. I'm new, and learning. Mostly this is my fault for making mechanics aparent, when all anyone ever should have known was the RP elements.
I'm a hair irked at Noah for skimming my posts and then expressing apparent annoyance that he got knocked on his ass.

Chrono and Lothmar, I have no complaints with. Entirely possible that the reciprocal case might be: That everyone here thinks I'm a terrible DM.

But that'd be fine with me, about now. I think I've lost my taste for it, anyways. We'll see how I feel, later.

Feel free to flame me with brutal critiques on my technique.
Image
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
User avatar
MuthSera
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:02 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby chrono » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:19 pm

I guess I'm not following that well... I'm pretty sure I have no idea where the above came from.

As a GM I don't usually pay attention to anything that goes on in OOC - when left with enough freedom all players stray in some direction. Me and Raigne, we nitpick and pick fights for the fun of it. Noah and Lothmar are pretty civil so far, but I'm sure it's a matter of time :P. As for Lady, I really haven't paid that much attention to in OOC, but breasts don't bother me much.

I've never seen a case where a player was happy about dying in battle - it's only normal that chaos and complaints ensue each time this happens. Hell, if I got a CDG (which would likely put me in as bad shape) you'd never hear the end of it ;). That really has nothing to do with our satisfaction with your GM efforts.

Sure, I'd say it could have been done a little better (but I usually say that about everything). I am happy about running with an unusual setting and plot and I can't wait to actually get out of the village and get knee-deep into baddies.

...Goes to fix things IC...
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
User avatar
chrono
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby Lothmar » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:56 pm

Newish players, newish Dm, there's bound to be some odd moments. It happens.

No one wants to admit to feeling stupid, useless or inadequate and often we resort to displacing our frustration on the person who's taking the time and effort to entertain us. I dont know how many times, in how many games, I've felt like saying "YOU NEVER SAID THAT! WHY WOULD I HAVE EVER DONE THAT IF I HAD KNOWN THAT!" because of lack of one simple piece of information or another. Mis-communication is the most wounding factor to any game.
User avatar
Lothmar
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:24 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:34 pm

MuthSera wrote:I'm a hair irked at Noah for skimming my posts


Guilty.

I didn't know one was a cleric; though if he was not armored it wouldn't have made a difference in my actions. Regardless, I knew it wasn't a wise decision from the start. I don't think how things shook out is what I asked to do or what I would have chosen had we been at a table and had you said "no you can't do that." That said, I might have continued to give chase on my next turn, if I could follow them without making a track check. (ten yards not being very far from the walls of the village). I'm not surprised I got beat and I won't be mad if I die. However, it would have been a lot more pleasing to me had I caught up and the three mages had turned around to wait for me and we got to roll initiative and at least start a round of combat. Conversely, especially with the fog, and the fact that they're casters, you could have easily hand-waved "they got away" and it would have been fine. With the magic NPCs keeping us alive, it didn't seem like a combat that could be won or lost.

PS: purely from an IC standpoint: not only do I have a shiny new robot body, you made me braver than I've ever been, and greater than I've ever been, and put a bunch of innocent people in danger. of course I'm going to be stupidly aggressive.

PPS: I'm in favor of not knowing the mechanics behind the events, but only if I don't have to make any decisions based on game mechanics; just "I'm gonna jumpkick that guy" "I want to defend so-and-so"
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby LadyBhaal » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:35 pm

MuthSera wrote:
LadyBhaal wrote:Fine. I'll just go loot the corpse and go back to the party. I'm obviously useless here.


Are you stupid, pretending, or in favor of Noah croaking 5 rounds after the angels stop singing?
What is everyone else in the party doing right now? Aiding Joshua in an attempt to heal Noah.
Luckily, everyone is intelligent, and beating 10 has been easy.


Oh, so now you're blaming me for keeping information private? You told me that nothing I have could help, and you never told me that anything I could had have would have helped. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me? This is your world and your rules. Telling things in PM's to other players doesn't help me know them. How was I supposed to know that Craft Construct was going to help Noah if you kept it private? How was I supposed to know that Mending could heal Noah when you had already declared that it wouldn't?

And how does Inflict hurt warforged when cure won't help them?
LadyBhaal
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:06 am

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby Raigne » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:38 pm

MuthSera wrote:Who says they were controlled by the 3 mages, at all?


You had one of the command a skeleton to reform. Maybe it was just a signal to whomever sent the fog to send in more skellies. You're right, I don't know, but that is what it looked like.

MuthSera wrote:I'm frustrated because all Raigne does is nitpick, and express doubt in my competency as a DM. Sure. You got me. I'm new, and learning. Mostly this is my fault for making mechanics aparent, when all anyone ever should have known was the RP elements.


I'm sorry I've made you feel that way, and I am aware that you're new and learning. I can't say anything more to the comment without throwing more gasoline on the fire, so I'm leaving it there.

@Lady, the last comment is an interesting one, but as for the rest, he's not talking about spells. He is telling you to Aid another. It is an action that lends whatever bonuses you get to another person. Joshua can cast mending, and right now he's using the bonuses that the other three of us get to make the rolls for it.
I Am A: Neutral Good Human Ranger/Wizard (2nd/1st Level)
Str-10 Dex-12 Con-11 Int-16 Wis-15 Cha-13

>It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
User avatar
Raigne
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby LadyBhaal » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:42 pm

Raigne wrote:He is telling you to Aid another. It is an action that lends whatever bonuses you get to another person. Joshua can cast mending, and right now he's using the bonuses that the other three of us get to make the rolls for it.


Thank you for that Raigne, I didn't know that.
LadyBhaal
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:06 am

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby Joshua » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:08 pm

LadyBhaal wrote:
Oh, so now you're blaming me for keeping information private? You told me that nothing I have could help, and you never told me that anything I could had have would have helped. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me? This is your world and your rules. Telling things in PM's to other players doesn't help me know them. How was I supposed to know that Craft Construct was going to help Noah if you kept it private? How was I supposed to know that Mending could heal Noah when you had already declared that it wouldn't?

And how does Inflict hurt warforged when cure won't help them?


Hi LadyBhaal. Nice to meet you and such.

I just got of the phone with Muth after calming him down. I drew a picture to illustrate his sentiments earlier:

Image

Just so you know. :lol:
Spoiler: show
Hopefully that will get a chuckle out of some of you, and maybe lighten up the mood a bit. :shock:
Joshua
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:33 am

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby chrono » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:37 am

Welcome Joshua :)
I liked the art.
As for the whole argument, I still don't think we have much to argue about, except maybe that it's nice if the players know the basic rules of the games we're playing. If not at the beginning, then at least a few weeks into the game.
PDF books are all over the torrent sites, and whoever has moral or legal issues with that can still use http://www.d20srd.org to cover most topics.

Edit: it took me a while to find this:

As living constructs, warforged can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a warforged can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a warforged is vulnerable to disable construct and harm. However, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effect to a warforged.


So what the book says is they take full inflict damage, but only gain half HP from heals. I haven't followed what Muth said about healing Noah, but I'm sure there was a custom ruling that allowed mend to heal them (which normally doesn't). So either there's a custom house rule about CLW not working on Noah at all, OR Muth has overlooked something OR it's somehow tied to the weirdness of the game. Like for example having Eberron races in a Core game ;)
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
User avatar
chrono
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby MuthSera » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:19 pm

chrono wrote:Welcome Joshua :)
I liked the art.
As for the whole argument, I still don't think we have much to argue about, except maybe that it's nice if the players know the basic rules of the games we're playing. If not at the beginning, then at least a few weeks into the game.
PDF books are all over the torrent sites, and whoever has moral or legal issues with that can still use http://www.d20srd.org to cover most topics.

Edit: it took me a while to find this:

As living constructs, warforged can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a warforged can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a warforged is vulnerable to disable construct and harm. However, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effect to a warforged.


So what the book says is they take full inflict damage, but only gain half HP from heals. I haven't followed what Muth said about healing Noah, but I'm sure there was a custom ruling that allowed mend to heal them (which normally doesn't). So either there's a custom house rule about CLW not working on Noah at all, OR Muth has overlooked something OR it's somehow tied to the weirdness of the game. Like for example having Eberron races in a Core game ;)


Oh shi-----

SOMEBODY HEAL HIM! >:O
Image
oh god how did this get here
I am not good with computer
User avatar
MuthSera
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:02 pm

Re: Reactions to "A new life"

Postby chrono » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:56 pm

Sorry about that Muth... I'm a little bit of a rules lawyer so I knew about half the HP thing all along, but I didn't want to say anything before I had a chance to actually check if I was right.
Whaaat? My memory ain't as good as it used to be. Ye kids be off my lawn! Whaaat?

Can we maybe move on now or is somebody still upset?

Edit: I hate the downtime. It reminds me of a not-so-short period on the giantitp forums (which I totally hated).
I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (4th Level)
Strength-13
Dexterity-11
Constitution-17
Intelligence-16
Wisdom-12
Charisma-14
User avatar
chrono
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Your Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BrimStone and 2 guests