Alpha Centauri

Your new games, homebrews, mods and ideas. Forum games go here.

Alpha Centauri

Postby Mako » Sun May 03, 2009 4:58 pm

In 2050, the world was in great chaos. It may have destroyed itself, but not before sending the Unity, a large collection of colonists, to the Alpha Centauri star system in order to restart the human race. I was wondering if we could play an RPG game here where we could choose one of the original factions of Alpha Centauri or maybe new ones.

Factions:
Lords Believers
Morganites
Gaians
Peace Keepers
Spartans
University
Human Hive
Free Drones
Nautilus Pirates
Cult of Planet
Cybernetic Consciousness
Data Angels
The Usurpers
The Caretakers

Or you can make your own factions : Aliens included

I could try using dice for playing the game's combat situations and research phases.

Character Creation:
Faction Name:
Ruler:
Goals:
Agenda: (Your major philosophical outlooks.)
Advantages/Disadvantages:
Your advantages and disadvantages have to correlate with your Agenda.
Mako

Re: Alpha Centauri

Postby depricated » Tue May 05, 2009 11:51 pm

oh wow you DID mean Sid Meier's

NICE

How would this work, exactly? You have my attention. :D
depricated

Postby Mako » Wed May 06, 2009 3:33 am

I have a Dice roller I can borrow from RPOL.
Mako

Postby EthericSentinel » Wed May 06, 2009 4:00 am

I'm interested in playing, probably as University or Peacekeepers. However, I'll wait before claiming a faction. (If someone else wants both of those, I could go with a custom faction I designed a while back...)
EthericSentinel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby JohnnyEgregious » Wed May 06, 2009 4:17 am

Any suggested reading for those of us unfamiliar with the game?
I'm workin' on my thinkin' and I'm thinkin' it's improving.
JohnnyEgregious

Postby Spidew » Wed May 06, 2009 9:30 am

Hmmm, I'd consider joining, as a customed version of the Hive...once I root out my old copy of AC ;)
Spidew

Postby EthericSentinel » Wed May 06, 2009 12:28 pm

JohnnyEgregious wrote:Any suggested reading for those of us unfamiliar with the game?

I can't think of a better way to introduce the game then straight from the horse's mouth -- or the opening cutscene's audio, as the case may be.

Earth, 2060:

A small group of colonists leaves the ravages of Earth for a distant planet orbiting Alpha Centauri's primary star. Their ship, the United Nations Starship Unity carries them on their way to a new world and a new hope for humankind. Along the way, a reactor malfunction damages the Unity, precipitating a crisis among the ship's seven most powerful leaders. As they enter the Alpha Centauri system, the crew splits into seven distinct factions, divided not by nationality, but by ideology and their vision for the new world. After the ship breaks apart, the seven leaders guide their chosen crew down to the surface of Planet, seeking their destiny beneath an alien sky.

Profiles for the seven factions, as well as an additional seven included in the game's expansion pack, can be found at the game developers' website. Anything more specific, hopefully, can be handled or improvised in play.
Jabberwocky wrote:Someone is disagreeing with someone else over an irrelevant bit of trivia on the Internet of all places. Honor demands blood.
EthericSentinel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Mako » Wed May 06, 2009 2:15 pm

The Traditionalists
Leader: Robert Wettman
Goals/Agendas:
Returning to older, more restrictive and primitive governments (such as monarchy) The leader of the Traditionalists is an eccentric, strange Psychologist named Robert Wettman. Robert Wettman wrote many theories and hypothesis on psychological science, trying to warn the public about the incoming dark future of Earth. Robert Wettman believes that returning to a Monarchistic or Hierarchal systems with unchangable, but benevolent(democratic) laws are the best way to run a society.

Pysch Profile:
Subject demonstrates equal IQ to the highest scorers in testing. He is suspected of altering his test scores and should be considered for closer examination. Robert Wettman demonstrates Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with the past and things of a romantic nature. Subject may be lead into self-delusions of sameness.

Strengths:
+1 Morale
+1 Economy
Begin with Children's Creche in every base.

Weaknesses:
-1 Planet
Mako

Postby alextheweaselboy » Fri May 08, 2009 7:17 am

Are you actually going to play a textbased game of AC on this thread?
could you explain how its gonna work?
alextheweaselboy

Postby depricated » Fri May 08, 2009 7:22 am

That's what I'm wondering.

I mean, however it goes you can totally count me in as the Nautilus Pirates -->

I'm hot for it already :D
depricated

Postby Mako » Fri May 08, 2009 2:26 pm

Oh yeah, I want to do a pbp game of AC here. And I told you already, I'm going to use another site's Dice Roller ;)
Mako

Postby redtophat » Sat May 09, 2009 4:10 am

I'm very interested in play, I'll guess I'll start trying to figure everything out. >.>

Edit: I do like the looks of peace keepers or university.
redtophat

Postby Allandaros » Sat May 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Pending an update on how the game's to be played, I'd love to get in as the Spartans.
Allandaros

Postby Mako » Sun May 10, 2009 1:23 am

Its play by post. That much I hope we all got.

Its like, when we fight or kill mind worms, we'll roll some kind of a die. I think that at the beginning everyone will roll d4, then I'll move up the ladder depending on how powerful they make themselves.
Mako

Postby Biomekanic » Sun May 10, 2009 12:29 pm

JohnnyEgregious wrote:Any suggested reading for those of us unfamiliar with the game?

(Ha-ha! My first post on the forums )

There's also a series of novels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier' ... ri#Fiction

I haven't read them, so I can't comment on their quality.
Biomekanic

Postby JohnnyEgregious » Sun May 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Well, I read up a bit and I think I'd be interested in playing the Data Angels. Their mix of computers and anarchy reminds me of 4chan.
I'm workin' on my thinkin' and I'm thinkin' it's improving.
JohnnyEgregious

Postby EthericSentinel » Mon May 11, 2009 12:42 am

Hmm, redtophat, if you're interested in the Peacekeepers or University too, do you want to flip a coin for which? Or just pick one. :P

I like the ideas for mechanics so far. How are the faction's bonuses going to tie into it? The Traditionalists, as posted, would be quite overpowered in the computer game, but depending on how the PbP is managed they might be balanced there.
Jabberwocky wrote:Someone is disagreeing with someone else over an irrelevant bit of trivia on the Internet of all places. Honor demands blood.
EthericSentinel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby alextheweaselboy » Mon May 11, 2009 7:10 am

yeah, that seems to be the big question.
can someone also enlighten me (and any one else who has never played alpha centauri) some of the rules and terms that aren't part of civ (like +1planet).

and if nobody else wants the free drones i'd like to claim them.
alextheweaselboy

Postby depricated » Mon May 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Planet is how the inhabitants of Alpha Centauri refer to the planet. Instead of a fist full of earth, it's a fist full of planet. Or instead of making Earthfall you make Planetfall. It's also a statistic, which if I recall(it's been years) refers to a sort of bond with Planet - with the Life of Planet.
depricated

Postby Mako » Tue May 12, 2009 6:37 pm

EthericSentinel wrote:Hmm, redtophat, if you're interested in the Peacekeepers or University too, do you want to flip a coin for which? Or just pick one. :P

I like the ideas for mechanics so far. How are the faction's bonuses going to tie into it? The Traditionalists, as posted, would be quite overpowered in the computer game, but depending on how the PbP is managed they might be balanced there.

Like, +1 Economy would be +25% income....
+1 Morale, would probably be something like +50% attack/defense
-1 Planet might attract more mind worms than usual
Mako

Next

Return to Your Games